Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Comments for Silent Nights: The Pianist Collector's Edition

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 15, 12 4:43 AM
peglegann wrote:
snapnhiss wrote:
DragonLadyOz wrote:...
As you are also aware, there are a lot of supposed informative "official" Reviews of games here based on (sometimes) very short trials...

I just noticed that! I don't usually read the "official" reviews but I noticed one of the games that I liked only got two stars so I took a peek and saw that several reviews contained maybe two sentences, one sentence saying they had only played for 10 minutes or so. What a waste of everyone's time.

Had to join in to concur on this.
An "official review" to me, should be based on the purchase of a game and not just a way for people to appear to be a "Top Reviewer" or "Key Contributer" by posting as many 1 or 2 lined reviews, as they possibly can. A bit like morphing by playing word games! ROFL!

Anyway, as far as this game goes, I will not be buying the DP but possibly the SE, as although I think that the dev's have done a great job, for their first game it is not worth double money.

I can "agree" and "disagree" with you, Ann. The "agree" part? "Bumping" up your own post number with a one-or-two line "cheapo" review--doesn't tell me anything about the game. If I only have a few words to say about a game, then I won't say anything at all! The "disagree" part? Don't cast dispersions on folks who enjoy the Word Games!

As far as this game? I had high hopes, but the Intro and the Options Menu both fell kinda flat. Driving down a rainy road at night--slam on the brakes--a hooded figure in front of you? At least you didn't crash into a tree and wind up in a derelict asylum! Two sound FX sliders, cursor choice, two gameplay modes--h0 hum. And then there's the ever-present thunderstorm/rain. What's wrong with a "sunny day"? The musical track? A constant out-of-tune rendition of "Silent Night." Speakers off. Graphics are good, and H0 scenes (I think 3 in the first half-hour or so) are well-done. Sorry for the folks who can't access the entire gamut of "extras" from the get-go. Someday, most (if not all) developers will get the hint that a CE is just that--a CE!

Regards, elldee

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 15, 12 4:54 AM
Ooops, sincerely sorry Eldee I did not mean to generalise about word games. Reading back, it does look like I cast aspersions on people who like word games
That certainly was not my intention.
ETA. I was not referring to bumping up posts in one line reviews, I was referring to the "official reviews" above each game, where we go to DL it.

As far as this game goes, I also had another look at it and some of the puzzles are intriguing. I have to repeat, well done to the Dev's on all of their hard work but I will wait to pay the normal price, as all of the extras are not available immediately after purchase and to pay double for one chapter is just too much IMHO.

Edited on 03/15/2012 at 4:57:41 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 15, 12 5:20 AM
Hey Ann--I'm with you all the way on those so-called "official" reviews on the main game page! Very seldom (if ever) are they posted by folks who actually (and routinely) submit Reviews/Comments in the Moderator-generated Forums.

For sure, this game is a good start for a new developer. It's a cut above some other games from supposedly-veteran developers who have given us some not-so-good stuff (can anyone say "Hd0"?). I look forward to the SE.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 15, 12 5:38 AM
Cherb: "However, having checked out the Strategy Guide I see that there are 3 chapters shown in detail. What it lacked was the rest of the chapter headings so that we can roughly gauge how long the game is likely to be and because this information is not available I will wait and purchase the SE." (reviews)

SG length is 50 pages, including the Bonus chapter...

Kathilisa
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by Kathilisa on Mar 15, 12 5:56 AM
Interesting debate on here.....

I've only watched the video so far
but that out-of-tune piano played with as much skill as an 8 year old nearly drove me insane
background music can be suspenseful
(personally I prefer relaxing but I guess it depends on the plot of the game...)
but OUT OF TUNE just grates on the ears

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Mar 15, 12 6:15 AM
Rebeca_Lily wrote:Cherb: "However, having checked out the Strategy Guide I see that there are 3 chapters shown in detail. What it lacked was the rest of the chapter headings so that we can roughly gauge how long the game is likely to be and because this information is not available I will wait and purchase the SE." (reviews)

SG length is 50 pages, including the Bonus chapter...

How did you know that the SG is 50 pages? You did't buy the game.

crypsynight
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by crypsynight on Mar 15, 12 6:18 AM
Does anyone know roughly how long this game is, and how long the bonus chapter is.

I'm a bit on the fence with this one. Wanting a different game to play, but somehow I don't think this is it.
Sparkles in hard mode - not on!
Great black pauses between scenes rather annoying.
Graphics okay, but not anything special.
Tasks seemed way to easy.
Voice-overs...I think i decided not to buy when the helpful advise was...
."A secret sect? ..... Must be someone very secretive..." Ya think???

And I suspect I am going to have 'silent night' stuck in my head all week

But then again, if someone said it was a long game with a good bonus chapter, i probably would buy it.

Oh and I totally agree with the other posts - reviews should be exactly that! An actual proper review on the whole game, not just a 10 minute impression.
(Unless of course the game was awful, but even then it should be a proper review on the 60 minute trial, not just 2 lines so your name can be on top...) JMHO

LostForever
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by LostForever on Mar 15, 12 6:34 AM
Is this the comment or the review section?

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 15, 12 6:58 AM
LostForever wrote:Is this the comment or the review section?

LOL I was wondering that myself

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Mar 15, 12 7:09 AM
Hope the thread won't have to be renamed to 'worthy comments'

teeka57
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by teeka57 on Mar 15, 12 7:20 AM
I wonder if the ppl that make these games ever play them, looking up is not normal! I never buy a game where the tool tray is up top, wonder how many others feel this way?

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 15, 12 7:28 AM
Lol, come on, fishies, I can't answer Cherb in review section, because I don't have a review to write (? )...

And Dobbie, yes, I bought the game, and wasn't so satisfied (had higher expectations). That's why I know what is the length of the SG... .

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Mar 15, 12 7:32 AM
I'm not bowled over by this game, at least not to buy as a CE.

I don't care about wallpaper and all the other goodies, so the game itself for me needs to be worthy of the CE price. I thought this game was just once again going from one junk pile cluttered Hog to another and for me that gets boring after awhile. I thought the bad guys were kind of flat and not very scary, and there is an annoying lag time between scene changes. I don't care much for the faded graphics ( I prefer more color) and using the brightness option just made it lighter but still faded. I may reconsider buying when it comes out as an SE.

I did get a twinge when I saw the "Eau potable" sign however as I spent alot of time in France when I was younger and saw many of those signs in train stations so it brought back memories.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Mar 15, 12 7:37 AM
teeka57 wrote:I wonder if the ppl that make these games ever play them, looking up is not normal! I never buy a game where the tool tray is up top, wonder how many others feel this way?

I'm with you, Teeka57. I, too, prefer to have my tool tray at the bottom of the screen.

But when I like a game well enough, I usually buy it even if the tool tray is at the top.

Happy gaming everyone!

Classicaljazz

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Mar 15, 12 7:37 AM
Now I am really confused. The SG shows only 3 chapters (16 pages) but someone else stated there were 50 pages in the SG but didn't purchase it (how would they know?). If the SG is only 16 pages then it truly is a very short game, even for me.

I am so tired of the games that for one reason or another have to have thunder/lightening and/or rain. Why must there always be rain?

There are no collectibles and no achievement awards (I dislike achievement awards). As everyone else mentioned no journal. The last couple of games that I played that had journals in them were useless. They tracked comments from the characters but not useful information like codes or clues. For heaven's sake if your going to put in a journal use it for useful clues and not comments from the characters that have no helpful value to game play. Also if you're not going to include a map then at least put in location names along with the navigation arrows so we can remember where we need to get back to with that elusive key or object.

I am on the fence about this one due to the question of length. I don't care about the wallpaper, art, music, extras (just the SG and bonus game) but I do agree with the others that if you pay for a CE then you should not be locked out of ANYTHING. Obtaining those extras should not be based on finishing a game but rather on the purchase of it.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 15, 12 7:41 AM
Hang on let me look. Yes, it is definitely the comment thread.
Comments for Silent Nights: The Pianist Collector's Edition
by textrekkie on Mar 15, 12 12:32 AM
A place for your comments about the game.

LOL!

teeka57, isn't it funny how we are all so different? I actually like the inventory tray and the list of words at the top As I have found lately that with them being at the bottom, sometimes we can be taken out of a scene, when trying to get an item.
Another thing that is a little annoying about the game, is that it tells you what you need in every situation, instead of letting us work it out for ourselves. But, as they are new dev's (I think) I am sure that they will take on board a lot of our comments.
Mhatfie. I thought that it would make you think of your time in France

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 15, 12 7:45 AM
KBEAR2045 I checked elsewhere for reviews. There are 9 Chapters and a "Bonus Story". Hope this helps.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Mar 15, 12 8:20 AM
I played the demo and I needed the hint button way too many times. So.... I won't pay $14.00 for this game because I don't like all the ho scenes and I found it kinda boring. Sorry BF.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Mar 15, 12 8:32 AM
peglegann wrote:KBEAR2045 I checked elsewhere for reviews. There are 9 Chapters and a "Bonus Story". Hope this helps.

Hey KBEAR, I BOUGHT the game, that's why I know what is the SG length in pages...

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Mar 15, 12 8:46 AM
I'm on the fence with this one. I don't like the black screen between scenes, and it does seem kind of flat to me, but the story seems intriguing, so what to do. The hos are okay for me. I am leaning toward waiting for the SE. Depends on how desperate I get for a game later in the month I think. I'm still playing White Haven since it restarted 3 times on me before I installed the fix. But, it is worth trying the demo. I should also say I HATE playing tunes and I have already come across one in this game. I am not musical and my memory is not good. LOL

Go to: