Re:Reviews for Small Town Terrors: Livingston

[Post New]by Mystery_Egypt on Mar 17, 12 11:11 AM
I have played the full game and really enjoyed it
I liked the apocalyptic mood of the artwork and the theme of the game. I didn't have major difficulties finding the hidden objects, and the puzzles were partly different from those in most HOGs, which was good for a change.
The music/sounds could have had more variety and I noticed 2-3 spelling errors, but other than that, I have no complaints.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Mar 17, 12 12:06 PM
I am a little surprised that so many of you seem to love this and that one said it was one of the best games lately. I found it to be average. The Graphics are ugly and dull (IMO) and offer nothing that interests me (graphics are a major factor in my game choices). I do not like having to find Health items. OTOH, although you can't do some things until you have enough health the game seems fairly linear and when it is time to do those things you will have found the health you need. Can't find or access the health? Keep looking there is something you may have overlooked.

The minis are good and some are unique or new versions of familiar minis. That is a good feature. You can SKIP these in Casual mode (which I played).

This game does have good play, an interesting if somewhat old story, HOS and some interaction within the HOS as well as the use of inventory items. It is an OK game for me. It is also a pass. Had the graphics been a bit nicer I might have bought it. But it is a little too ugly and I don't like the theme. I can't see it as more than average and am just a little stumped at some of the enthusiastic reviews but that is fine, I have no complaint just am a little mystified.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Mar 17, 12 12:08 PM
Another broken down car arrives at spooky location. This time it is a town not an old building. Again, dilapidated buildings, ugly scenarios. Seen that and done that. PLEASE. Can you developers please provide games which do not use the same old hackneyed plot lines and ugly scenes???? So tired of this same old, same old. Do you really like looking a falling apart buildings and slums? Well, I don't. I am only commenting on information not covered by early birds who outline the logistics of the game. This again, is another loser for me. The HOG scenes are not only depressing, but also have items incredibly difficult to find. I realize I can use coupons to purchase this game. But it would like going to the dentist office for me to play this game.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Mar 17, 12 1:33 PM
Thanks again Valdy for your review. I wanted to quit after 30 min of the demo and decided then to read your review in case it was just me and it would change later on. After having done so, I agree with you 100%. I might add, it is too depressing for me
I like bright cheerful and well done scenes. And I always check with Valdy as I seem to also enjoy the games Valdy enjoys. You fishies that enjoy this type of game, have fun. Different strokes for different folks. I shall swim on by this one.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Mar 17, 12 1:33 PM
Thanks again Valdy for your review. I wanted to quit after 30 min of the demo and decided then to read your review in case it was just me and it would change later on. After having done so, I agree with you 100%. I might add, it is too depressing for me
I like bright cheerful and well done scenes. And I always check with Valdy as I seem to also enjoy the games Valdy enjoys. You fishies that enjoy this type of game, have fun. Different strokes for different folks. I shall swim on by this one.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 17, 12 1:47 PM
Very nice game, not the greatest and fancy graphics but just very good story, mystery and plot.

The game gave me Dejavu in the beginning but then as soon I got out of the hospital I remember!!!! it remind me of resident evil

Still I like the health bar that is new for me and kind of funny.

The HOscenes are a littler big cluttered but nice, the first puzzle I had to skip it, because it was taking me too much time and I wanted more time for the actual game in the Demo.

I definitely will buy this one.

Edited on 03/17/2012 at 1:48:26 PM PST

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Mar 17, 12 3:35 PM
Tried to edit my earlier post, but ran out of room.

Just finished this game, and I really enjoyed it. The devs did a good job of providing a nice level of difficulty with the problem solving; nothing too hard, just reason it out...and keep looking. I liked that the story was not the same old haunted house / hospital / asylum. The story felt fresh, at least to me. As I said before, I generally avoid anything from this genre; maybe I should rethink that.

One further (minor) complaint: the "interactive" aspect of the HO scenes was very basic - move something or open something, and you've got what you need, I think Elephant Games, with their strategy of having to use something from your inventory to solve an interactive HO element, have really spoiled me. A very minor complaint though for a very nice SE offering.

BTW, I found that I did NOT have to use my magnifying glass for the later scenes - either my eyes adjusted, or the scenes got brighter and clearer. I'm thinking it was the latter.

By all means give this one a fair try, you may be surprised.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Mar 17, 12 7:21 PM
What on God's green earth are some of you raving about? I couldn't even finish the demo. The prerequisite car crash and then waking up in a dingy hospital, are so cliche it is just downright boring from the very beginning. The hog scenese are junk pile, and I really dislike games with all of the monochromatic schemes. I appreciate bright colors and great art work, neither of which does this game posess. Also the hint button just takes too long to recharge. It really wasn't worth the time it took to download, install and activate, IMHO.

cll1950
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,099 Posts

[Post New]by cll1950 on Mar 17, 12 8:45 PM
grandmab3248 wrote:What on God's green earth are some of you raving about? I couldn't even finish the demo. The prerequisite car crash and then waking up in a dingy hospital, are so cliche it is just downright boring from the very beginning. The hog scenese are junk pile, and I really dislike games with all of the monochromatic schemes. I appreciate bright colors and great art work, neither of which does this game posess. Also the hint button just takes too long to recharge. It really wasn't worth the time it took to download, install and activate, IMHO.

Bingo! The game is ugly and the H.O. scenes are very junky. Even the tiny bit of interaction in them is dumb. The graphics are terrible. The story has been done, done,done. The mechanics are clunky. I won't even start on the mini games.The whole game is so old school.

I read all the rave reviews and was excited to get started but It didn't take long to know it sure isn't something i could sit through.

Those who love it, enjoy.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Mar 17, 12 10:06 PM

I bought this for 2 reasons:

1. I enjoyed the demo with a gritty chernobyl-type catastrophe atmosphere and mystery/survivor story.
Also, keeping your "health" up is a tried and true adventure game mechanic that I really like in this game.

2. The developer is a small concern with headquarters in Miami, Fl - my adopted state of residence.

Edited on 03/17/2012 at 10:16:31 PM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Mar 17, 12 10:14 PM
Sheerija wrote:No denying this is a good game, but for guys, I think. Us girls don't have much experience on the mechanical/engineering side of things. The mini games were too technical, way over my head, and I just had to skip most of them. That made the game only 3+1/2 hours long. Not really a good deal.

It's different though. Reminded me of "28 Days Later". Nice graphics, good story, good navigation, nice HOS.

That mom must have had some kind of education to be able to solve all those problems. Rocket Scientist, maybe?

I like games like this because they take us out of the rut we get into with all the same old same old stuff, but they have to be longer and simpler, or my enjoyment factor drops.

Nice job though.

I'm a very old woman but I love the harder puzzles in this game. I don't usually like the "normal" puzzles in HOGs but I was MOST happy with the puzzles in this game.

leyahn
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by leyahn on Mar 17, 12 10:31 PM
I just finished the demo - I like this game.

Maybe I watch too much Walking Dead - but I sure felt like Rick waking up in the hospital room and entering an abandoned facility.

Anyhoo, I was kinda' sucked in right from the warning sign at the beginning and immediately turned the lights off. I like to be scared sometimes, and there were some "twitch in my chair" moments - better was the suspense that those moments created wondering what was around the next corner.

I played the demo in the harder mode - hint and skip took awhile to recharge, and there was the annoying click penalty in the HOG scenes, but those really just make me take my time. Penalty makes your cursor run around in circles for a little bit. No sparkles in the mode I was in. Fairly linear play - when you come across an obstacle you know what you need to get past it, but you do have to search around to find it.

Hint button will point out places in scenes that need action, items in a HOG scene, and tell you if there is nothing currently to do in an area. The last does not exhaust the hint button so you can check areas until you find the one that needs action.

It is sneaker worthy - I found I had to backtrack a few times to get what I needed - but not enough to be boring or frustrating. The map, while not interactive, did help me remember what was where and I hope will be useful further into the game.

I used 55 minutes of the 60 minute demo time to complete what the walk through showed as the first chapter. I did skip two mini-games, mostly in the interest of time. The mini games were hard for me - which I liked - for me, it adds to the play-ability of a game if the minis are challenging.

Graphics - while not as sweepingly beautiful as some that we know - fit the game. I liked the wash of colour in a scene and the little touches that added the wasted, empty town feel of the game.

Music - well, it is just background noise - and while repetitive added to the atmosphere as well. I really did not notice it very much.

No voice overs - but I did not miss them in this game.

Filled my wide screen. No freezes or bugs while I played.

If the remaining 3 chapters equal the length of the first one in the demo than I should get a solid 4 hours of play time from this game - which is all right by me.

So, for me, a definite yes.

Happy Gaming!

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Mar 17, 12 11:03 PM
loved the game..

blueskies01
Guppy
Guppy
161 Posts

[Post New]by blueskies01 on Mar 17, 12 11:14 PM
Dystopian terror-mess with U.S. gov't to blame: a snackfest for the paranoid. Played for the hour trial, & the females so far are limited to mom and young daughter. Art depicting the humans is flat-out terrible. It all seems flat, dreary, & forgettable at best. I definitely do NOT want to see more games like this one.

Edited on 03/17/2012 at 11:18:40 PM PST

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Mar 17, 12 11:49 PM
I like the game, it's easy going and enjoyable.

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Mar 18, 12 4:07 AM
Vallarina wrote: I agree with Valdy. He said it all and exactly what I would say. HAPPY ST PADDY'S DAY TO ALL.
Vallarina

Hi, Vallarina.

Just for the record, Valdy is a female. Just thought you'd like to know.

limey_scale
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by limey_scale on Mar 18, 12 5:19 AM
What an excellent game. well done Devs. I wish I had timed myself but feel I must of played 6hrs+. I didn't skip any of the puzzles, which btw were very challenging and original, loved the health meter too. This game is well worth a try and very good value for money IMO - Happy Sunday & Mothers Day (UK)

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Mar 18, 12 7:40 AM
Into the trash can with this one. Got bored within about 15 minutes of the demo. Graphics are not great, in fact, all seem to be the same rusty color. Back and forth, back and forth...not sure about the "health" thing and needing to find first aid kits to be able to increase health to move about an already slow game. Same-o car wreck in a creepy town. Not for me. I give it 2 and a

slotfish
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by slotfish on Mar 18, 12 2:16 PM
well the game was ok I did finish it I have played better and I have played worse. I think it was good overall.

Edited on 03/18/2012 at 2:17:18 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Mar 18, 12 3:01 PM
The game just don't do anything for me. It isn't bad but... not crazy about it. Graphics are ok and good to have tasks listed and if you can't find them will tell you how to find.. Hints load fast but must be the storyline.. hospital, etc.. Going to go back to watching the Basketball Tournament. GO SU!

Go to: