gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

Re:Reviews for Ghost Encounters: Deadwood

[Post New]by gks1951 on Mar 24, 12 11:57 AM
To me another hidden objects in a huge junk pile Pity. Happy gaming fishes.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Mar 24, 12 12:39 PM
This seems like an OK game to pass the time, but there is just something about it that doesn't grab me and I can't figure out why . The graphics are good, the music is annoying, and the storyline is a little different. I just do not think I would buy it at regular price or use a club credit or even a punch card code.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Mar 24, 12 1:09 PM
I am so very impressed with this game! It is INCREDIBLY good, something you don't glean from the 1 hr demo. It is so integrated, it goes beyond a CE, never mind a SE. It's like 2 games in 1. The graphics are fantastic. The story is vivid and enthralling. The HOS are wonderful. The vos are perfect. And the town, well, it's just brilliant. They completely captured the feel of a Wild West town, to a tee. Every puzzle is different, no repetitions for these devs. Navigation is smooth as silk, not a lag or a freeze in sight. Like a well oiled machine. What a pleasure.

I don't know how long it was because I was in an out of the forum whenever I got stuck, so many times that it took me all day. The sensible thing would have been to wait for the WT tomorrow, but this game is so moreish, I just couldn't quit. And the devs were right there in the forum, helping with the WT, AND helping us.

Anarchy has set a new standard in this genre and the rest of the devs out there had better sit up and take note. THIS is how to create a game to knock your customer's socks off, and knock your competition right out of the water.

Accolades, guys. You are talented in the extreme. Make more, many, many more.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Mar 24, 12 2:28 PM
This one grabbed me right away! @ Nagster re: "nice" graphics = "cozy" for cramped (lol btw) - actually - graphics are stunning! It's just stunning graphics of an old west town - vs. stunning graphics of enchanting locations. Make sense? I mean a cliff overlook view of a mystical gothic town dead strikes you as "stunning" whereas the inside of a saloon - not so much. I think that's why "crisp" is getting used - really the graphics are fantabulous!

That dealt with...this game just has a neat feel to it - sure as a gamer with frequent flyer miles I'm off to a running start - but the game has the air that far more complex things are to come...you can just tell a lot of care went into this from the first scene. I'm off to buy and track down that nassty ghost! Happy Gaming all!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 24, 12 2:31 PM
This is a good game from the makers of the "Redrum" games. I like especially the artwork, but the graphic and hogscenes are also really pretty. For me its a definete buy

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Mar 24, 12 2:43 PM
I tried this for half hour going from scene to scene. Story line ok but with a hint but for the whole game this is a pass for me.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Mar 24, 12 3:01 PM
Amazingly interesting game, I was very surprise at the quality and good graphics of this SE, the voices are very good, the music a littler bit creepy, but overall just the right touch.

The HOscenes are a littler bit cluttered but clear and the objects easy to find.

The puzzles are entertaining and just the right challenge.

The story is nice and easy to follow also, I kind of find funny see the running around followed by a dark cloud.

I have to say that this SE is pretty good.

Defenetily a buy.

cpatten1
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by cpatten1 on Mar 24, 12 4:20 PM
I thought this was a really great game. Wonderful graphics and good story. The voice overs were good as was the music. Not as easy for some of us as others but thoroughly enjoyable. Thanks BF and developer for another wonderful game!

oakley007
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by oakley007 on Mar 24, 12 10:09 PM
Nice game. I didn't expect so much when I started. Thought it would be "short and sweet" but turned out to be a whole day of play. Thank you devs. And Thanks to prpldva for all the work on the walkthrough.

[Post New]by Grandmajacky on Mar 24, 12 10:27 PM
Just completed the game, absolutely loved it. The first few negative reviews threw me and I wasn't expecting much, however once into it I was completely hooked, have spent the entire Saturday totally engrossed in finding a child, the twist took me by surprise and I was slightly shocked by my own reaction. The length of the game is determined by individuality, play quick or play to enjoy, initially I found myself over clicking the HOGS to get further quicker, nah, it looks junk pile but for the first time in ages I really enjoyed finding the items and didn't use the hint. Well done to the Devs for keeping a granny amused for the best part of a day, when I should be doing the washing and stuff. Will watch out for your next game.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Mar 25, 12 2:43 PM
Not a bad game, not an especially good one either. Graphics okay, a bit cartoon-like. Music okay. Do not like the fact that you have only a hint button in the HOGs, I don't need a hint in the HOGs, they are very simple. Story line not bad, different for a change, still ghosts. Didn't quite grab me either and I was hoping it would. Been waiting a long time for a nice SE, but didn't really see it in this one (my personal opinion only). Going to put this one in the puddle, in case nothing really exciting comes along and I just want a simple game for a change. On to the next game. Thanks for the reviews.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Mar 25, 12 3:49 PM
It is a good game but very mind boggling. It would have been a lot nicer if the walkthrough would have been available for help at the beginning of the game instead at the very end for me. I do like the more challenging games but do appreciate help if needed. I will give it 4 stars.

I do recommend it for purchase.

hannah233
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by hannah233 on Mar 25, 12 6:54 PM

Edited on 03/27/2012 at 11:35:40 AM PST

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Mar 26, 12 9:06 AM
SeaBamboo wrote:My review is based on the hour long demo as I do not intend to buy the game.

This game from Anarchy Enterprises has average graphics & artwork, there are some very nice voiceovers & the dialogue is clickable. There is a journal but it only gives the story & no clues that I found. The music is subtle, not very western like given the theme & the background sounds are okay.

There are 2 modes; casual with a 60 second hint & advanced with 90 seconds, apart from that there is not a lot of difference between them. Both modes have sparkles for the H0s but be warned the hint button only appears in the hidden object scenes. There is no hint system for the main gameplay which makes it a little more difficult, however the game progresses logically enough.

The mini games were the usual match the wheel segments, logic puzzles, make a picture, etc. I did not need to use the skip button but it is there if you get stuck. As you progress you will pick up quite a lot of objects in the inventory & when the demo finished I had rather a lot so you will keep some items for a while before needing them.

Unfortunately I found the gameplay pretty mediocre so not a purchase for me.

Totally agree, couldn't even finish the trial........not a buy

Edited on 03/26/2012 at 9:07:32 AM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 26, 12 10:53 PM
When I first saw the negative comments--many based on just a few minutes of trial play--I literally interrupted the d/load. But then I saw some other comments, and I looked the game info over again and decided to give it a fair try.

I'm glad I did, because I'm having fun with this game. It's got a good story line, the graphics are clear, and there are multiple places to go and many puzzles to solve.

Yes, it is "old school" in many ways, and yes, there are "junk piles." But it is a hidden object game, and the hidden object scenes are well done.

I've been happily playing, very relaxed, for between 3 and 4 hours, taking my time. I don't think that every game has to be a high-end, multi-media graphics extravaganza, nor that every game has to have very complicated puzzes. Sometimes the old favorites are pretty relaxing.

The music and sound effects are good, and there are ghosts to talk to. You'll stay busy moving back and forth from place to place and finding new places to explore.

As far as difficulty, I'd rate it "medium" if not somewhat easy. But sometimes, a decent story with decent graphics in a relaxing game is just what adds some fun to your day.

I used up a punchcard freebie one this one and I'm glad I did. I'm not yet finished, and I look forward to some more sashaying around in a haunted Western town. And, for those who dislike extreme "occult" themes or gore, this game will be a welcome respite as all that it has are some token ghost appearances.

If you enjoyed some of the traditional hidden object games that got you into playing games, you'll enjoy this one.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Mar 27, 12 1:49 PM
an ok game, not very challenging at all, maybe as a dd

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Mar 28, 12 5:23 PM
Just a quick point before I post a review.
6) Some of the object names are not very well named like, for example, Sharp = the Hash key symbol.

The names in the HOS are very good and not ambiguous at all. When it says Sharp, that is the correct word. It's a musical term and is referring to the Sharp symbol in music, as in Sharps and Flats. So no argument from me with the terminology used. Actually, I give the game a Plus because it had some of the best terminology for the HOS I have ever seen. At least for Americans. I get thrown sometimes when they use British terminology or say spade for shovel, but this game didn't do that.

Edited on 03/28/2012 at 5:26:31 PM PST

Top-Notch Game

[Post New]by Dominick_Fontana on Mar 28, 12 9:29 PM
This is a review of the full game. I thought it was a top-notch game, with its major drawback being the HOS, since I hate HOS in general. To cut to the chase about the one bad point in the game, there are 3 chapters in the game and 28 HOS. I read what some others have said, but for me the HOS were not easy at all. I always needed hints. What made the HOS so annoying for me were that they had 16 objects to find (instead of the currently more customary 12 objects); there were always a few objects that I could never find and the hint meter took a whopping 60 seconds to recharge, which seems like an eternity; and there is a very nasty random-click penalty. The penalty is nasty for 2 reasons. First, it does not appear to count your missed clicks, but you have to wait about 2 seconds between clicks, so you can't really random-click that fast. If you do click too fast, you incur the penalty immediately, even if it's only 2-3 clicks, so in a way, it might be worse than a penalty that counts your clicks. Then to add insult to injury, if you click fast, but not so fast as to incur the penalty, every time you click, it says Warning in red under the cursor. Second, when you do incur the penalty, it blacks out the screen and scolds you for clicking too fast, which is something that I don't like. So the bottom line for me is that I hated the HOS in the game, but the rest of the game was fabulous.

The game was different, but in a very good way. I played on Casual mode and I didn't consider the game too easy or too difficult, but just right. It was very clever and well-written. It thoroughly held my interest and I couldn't stop playing it because it was that good. Someone said there were no duplicate puzzles, but that's not true. There were many duplicate puzzles, such as jig-saw puzzles and concentric rings, but I enjoyed them. I usually don't like jig-saw puzzles, but I liked them in this game. The puzzles and the Adventure aspects of this game were great, so I put up with the HOS because I liked the rest of the game so much.

I liked the graphics, sound effects, voice-overs, and interface. The music was good, but I would have preferred Western themed music to really make me feel like I was in an old time Wild West town. For me, aside from the HOS, the game was a ton of fun to play. I thought it was going to be a short game, but it took me about 6 hours to complete.

I recommend this game and give it 2 thumbs up. I rate it a 9 out of 10.

Edited on 03/28/2012 at 9:39:06 PM PST

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Mar 31, 12 6:56 PM
Nice Game! Thought I was buying a low budget time killer, but turns out the story,graphics, and voice overs were much better than I expected.
No built in S.G., and hints only for HOScenes made for for more of a mental challenge.
mini games were nice and not too difficult.
Good one for the newbie to this type of game, am glad I bought it, turned out to be a much longer game than I thought it would be.

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Apr 1, 12 1:01 AM
i don't agree!hint system not so good,graphics so-so
music ....no comment
yes voices,well that does not make a good game!it is just a plus when the is already good
story:ghosts ,and you have to battle the villain ghosts which cursed the town:not very original
that has changed is the background:western theme
many journey there and back
and cheery on cakes,many of us had glitches which prevent many,many of us to finish the game!
i very surprised with the so good review,because the number of pages complaining about glitches is upper than the good reviews!
for me ,it is a 2 stars on five

Go to: