Re:Reviews for Hidden Mysteries: Royal Family Secrets

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Mar 30, 12 9:49 PM
Absolutely beautiful graphics! I played the demo, which was only about 30 minutes. I spent most of that time exploring the different scenes. I pretty much knew it was a buy after playing for 5 minutes and reading Valdy's glowing review. The story is new and quite interesting.Now I need to brush up on my history to enjoy it even more. HO scenes are nicely done, although smaller print than most. My only real complaint is the sounds made when finding an object. It is bearable in normal scenes, but in the hidden object scenes it is very annoying. It sounds like banging a gong in an echo chamber. I like the music and background sounds so much that I don't want to turn the sound down. A word to developers - we really don't need a sound to tell us when we find an object. Take away the gong and give us voice overs! I have played most of the Hidden Mysteries games, but this is one of the best in the series.

ljmb21
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by ljmb21 on Mar 30, 12 11:31 PM
great game for an SE and well worth the money !

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Mar 31, 12 6:34 AM
Well, I don't know if it is my older model monitor, but the graphics were so dark that it was impossible to see anything. I tried adjusting my settings but no dice. I have played several Hidden Mystery games with the same issue. Until there are graphics that I can see, I won't be purchasing this game......

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Mar 31, 12 8:31 AM
Nope, did not grab me. The game's cursor was floaty (even in windows mode, which usually cures that) so I had to switch to my system's cursor, which made the game more ponderous to play. Game play: lots and lots of wandering. Plot did not grab me. Music was overly dramatic for **I edited out possible spoiler, but basically, no reason for the big music all the time**. Every time you find an item, it wobbles in and out 4 or 5 times before going into your inventory, really irritating. The cursor issue didn't help, but I wouldn't buy this one anyway.

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on Mar 31, 12 8:57 AM
I love the Hidden Mysteries game series and this one was no exception. The graphics were stunning and gorgeous, the plot was interesting and since I love history and historical fiction, this was the perfect storyline for me.

My only regret is that I've finished playing. I stayed up late last night and then got up at dawn this morning to continue. It was that good.

Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Mar 31, 12 7:12 PM
I found the game to be somewhat aggravating and quit only 45min after starting.
The "ta-da" type music is VERY annoying. It plays each time you retrieve an object (for every single object in the H0 scenes) arrrgh.
The haphazard map does tell you if an area is active, but is useless for accurate navigation since LEFT on the map is an UP arrow on the screen, RIGHT on the map is well... I dunno ...DOWN arrow, so BACK on the map is DOWN/RIGHT...??? Huh? Then toss-in lots of back-forth-back-forth making the game feel disjointed.

Graphics are OK but most areas seem very linear, with not much of a visually dimensional/3D graphics effort throughout.

The widescreen is REAL widescreen that is size proportionate (not stretched and distorted) on my 24" monitor. Well done developers!

I usually delve right into these games and enjoy every moment, but, this one is feeling 'scattered' and not grabbing me at all.

But, I do realize how much labor and love go into making these games and I don't want to totally trash the thing. It's a good game, and right up there with a lot of others that are calling themselves CE's for 2x the $$ but are inferior to most. IMO the game has some shortfalls, but for the most part it is a good game.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Apr 1, 12 1:26 AM
I had no technical issues with downloading this game. It was a very enjoyable game and seemed to last a long time with many problems to solve. I enjoyed the clear graphics and not too difficult HOS. The only issue I had was finding the 2nd poster piece and had to go to the walkthru to systematically find each piece or place where they should be. I don't use any sound so I cannot comment on that. The little "boys" were kinda creepy but I thoroughly enjoyed poisoning the bad guy and shooting the cannon. Many characters to interact with and the map was most helpful. The hint refuel is slow, but doesn't really matter. Nice long game. Thanks BF.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Apr 1, 12 10:08 AM
Not a bad game, just a little frustrating at figuring out the map. Hint button a little slow to recover. I will give it 4 stars and recommend it for purchase.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Apr 1, 12 3:48 PM
A very definite "try before you buy" (not that many of us buy just based on reviews.) But I really wanted to like this. The devs put a lot of work into it - it's not a quick or lazy effort - but it lacks that je ne sais quoi that top games offer. Despite well-drawn graphics and a strong storyline, here are my reasons for not purchasing:

1. The inventory doesn't lock open
2. Hogs are very cluttered and off-color, with some very small objects to find
3. Map is basically useless
4. Lots of trekking with little pay off - at least in the demo. I don't mind trekking but I want to find a purpose in it
5. No VO at all
6. Music is pretty but over-the-top and ultimately irritating. And again, I'm pretty tolerant of music in these games

For those who like it, enjoy. For me, the bar has been raised so high by other games, this one just doesn't make it for me.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Apr 1, 12 5:51 PM
About 1 minute into the demo and I had to turn that horrible music off...then the sounds came next. I don't think I have ever heard such horrible annoying music and sound effects. Good grief. Finally had to eliminate the custom curser . Too much dialog, bad graphics and really boring. I didn't make it more than 15 minutes before trash time. Definately a no buy.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Apr 2, 12 6:46 AM
This game was alright for me. The graphics were good..bright and clear and I liked the history end of it. I've bought all but 2 of the Hidden Mysteries games. Will have to see about the others at some point.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Apr 2, 12 12:15 PM
After finishing the demo and comparing it with the posted walk-through, I realized that I was already half-way through the game!

The only thing that kept me from purchasing it, was the odd graphics and morbid theme.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 2, 12 5:39 PM
I really like Hidden Mystery games and have quite a few. This one is a bit different. Graphics okay, a bit fuzzy. Game play okay, but choppy. Music okay, HOGs okay. Looks like a very short game...still had 38 minutes on demo. That is usually a very good indication that the game is extremely short and there isn't that much left.

Not too kicked out about this one. Will put it in my puddle and wait to see if I really want to move it into the pond for further play. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Apr 3, 12 6:50 PM
Just finished playing the whole game and I agree with all the good reviews. I loved the time period and I was lucky enough to visit the Tower of London when we were in England a few years ago. (Didn't see any ghost tho!!) I thought the game fairly easy, but still challenging enough to be interesting. There was alot of "footwork" involved. The HOS were not hard (yeah!), and I found the map helpful as far as letting you know where there was action to be taken. There were no voice-overs and I was glad as most annoy me more than not. Not a very long game, but it was a pleasant way to spend a few hours.

feenix

Edited on 04/03/2012 at 6:52:00 PM PST

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Apr 4, 12 7:25 AM
There are lots of HOGs out there. There are tons of mediocre ones. Because of that, a game has to meet a very high standard for me to recommend it.

This game felt tedious.

Almost every puzzle required you to find a missing piece before you could work it.

I used the hint a lot and most of the time I was told that there was nothing to do and that I should explore a different area. After about a hundred of those, I decided to explore a different game instead.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Apr 4, 12 9:33 AM
Finished the game and enjoyed it very much. IMO, the best of
the Hidden Mysteries; even beat out HM: Buckingham Palace.
The HOs were very doable and rarely had to use a hint; minor
annoyance, egg-shaped items were sometimes eggs, sometimes
lemons and once even onions. Instructions for puzzles were
sometimes confusing, but with some effort, could usually figure
them out. And only skipped one which is extremely rare for me.

Some of the interactions were uniquely cute. Spoiler:
Usually when a spiderweb keeps you from an item, it's a
brush or duster or gloves to remove it. In this game, it's
a frog to eat the spider.
Gave me a chuckle.

Use of the map will keep you from too much use of the hint button
as it shows you where there are tasks to perform. There is a LOT
of to-and-froing.

Been a long time since I haven't used a walkthrough, so it might
prove to be too easy for some, but, to repeat, I enjoyed it and
looking forward to the next one.

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Apr 4, 12 4:24 PM
Finally, I have finished this game! After quite a few hours of frustration, mostly at the beginning, I must say it is one of the BEST SE's released in a long time.

My biggest problem was the map until I finally noticed that the compass in bottom left hand corner. It was off set. North wasn't straight up like a traditional compass on maps. I must been having a DUH momment (or hours) for not realizing it sooner. After that, the map was of great use and no longer needed the walkthrough or the hints.

I also enjoyed the story line. I read every conversation to make sure I don't miss anything.

Overall, I give this one , for many hours of frustation and a great sense of accomplishment.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Apr 6, 12 8:48 PM
LOL took about 15 minutes to decide to buy. Couldn't stop with a demo. Enjoyed the HO cause not so cluttered and items were recognizable along with description of item to locate. Story was uttterly intriguing, music lent ambience and atmosphere. Hint button refilled fast enough if needed, puzzle explanations were clear and *skip* button didn't take so long (on easy). And...YEAH for a walkthrough when I got utterly stumped! Thanks for this one

Gill_Dudley
Minnow
Minnow
248 Posts

[Post New]by Gill_Dudley on Apr 8, 12 4:06 AM
I agree with everything that Babydoll said the scenes were just beautiful graphically it was well worth it if it had been a CE but it wasn't surprisingly. I loved the lighting on all scenes and the drawings were just beautiful the hint filled up quite quickly and there is the map to refer to see where your next task is instead of having to go back through numerous rooms and locations to try to find the next task. I loved the rose tower in particular and the castles so beautifully drawn and the ghosts made it so interesting. I love it when there is an interesting story running through the game. The puzzles were good too not to difficult and if they were there was the skip button. As always with a game of this calibre the music score was delightful. Wish all games were like this one but then again if they were I would have no money cos I would just be buying everyday.

chelogirl
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by chelogirl on Apr 9, 12 12:14 PM
just finished this game,its awesome and i enjoyed it a lot.

i recommend this game

Go to: