VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

Re:Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster

[Post New]by VTCT on Apr 5, 12 10:55 PM
Now that I have the first two hope there isn't along wait for the 3rd one. I believe I like this story line very much. There a few others I don't mine play over again & trying the harder challenge level. Keep up the good work

This is a 5 Star!!

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Apr 6, 12 1:37 AM
Every once in a while a gem comes along that should appeal to almost everyone who loves the HOPA/iHOG genre, and this is one of them, imho.

For those who like an easier game, there is more than enough help throughout via the fantastic "view objectives/jump to scene" map, the fast charging Hint and Skip buttons and the Strategy Guide.

For those who like more challenge, there's the more advanced mode and lots of running around to be had by not using the map.

My Likes about this game:

* Beautifully drawn, great graphics and wonderful cut scenes that made me feel as though I was in an Indiana Jones movie;

* Soothing music that didn't grate on my nerves;

* Clear Hidden Object Scenes with items that are easily identified, nice interaction and well spaced out throughout the game;

* Length of game. Main game is easily 4 plus hours and the bonus took me just over 1 hour.

* Loved visiting Tibet, India, Jerusalem and Madagascar via the Portals.

My Dislikes:

* The puzzles were too easy.

Can't wait for House 3. 5/5 . One of my favourites of the year so far.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 6, 12 7:21 AM
This is a very good game and while that is a plus, it's a shame as well because it could have been a really great game. It definitely improved after the demo, where all the puzzles were old ones, and it wasn't really taking off for me somehow. The ideas behind it were creative, and they certainly did incorporate some new puzzles that I either haven't encountered before or don't remember. Good hint button and SG, but the latter somewhat superfluous.

But it pulled me in 2 different directions. The problem was the graphics in the outdoors scenes. The Graphic Artists who designed those did not seem to be on the same page as everyone else. Those graphics should have been much better, grander I think, to be in keeping with the rest of the game, which was of a much higher calibre. As a result I found myself slightly bored during them. That and the nagging pulled feeling that resulted from it, didn't permit me to really enjoy it as much as the prequel.

I also think that in order to remain vigilant about finding the beyond objects, there needs to be some kind of incentive to finding them all. I kept forgetting to look for them, because they really have no value.

Just by-the-way, I find Zoroaster a rather awkward word. Is it pronounced Zoro Aster? Zo roaster is a bit lame if that's it.

Anyway, while it surely has merit, I only give it a 7/10. Sorry devs, you did well but you need to sort those graphics out.

Edited on 04/06/2012 at 7:22:41 AM PST

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Apr 6, 12 10:05 AM
I LOVED IT! I think it is even better than the first one. Alas, I cannot buy CE's but I will be waiting for the SE to come out (hurry BFG PLEASE) I love that you go to other "countries" and so far the puzzles have been only a bit of a challenge (geez those dragon heads were a pain!!) I thought the graphics were great - the still shots didn't do the game justice as they were so dark looking. I also loved the cut scenes - while there have been quite a few of them, they didn't last long but keep you up with the story. I also love the IHOG part of the game it is so much better than just straight HO.

Thanks BFG now just hurry to get the SE out so I can add this to my collection! BTW why oh why don't you do a CE BOGO once in awhile? I saw someone else mention this and think it's a great idea - if only 4 times a year or so?

JMHO

Lean

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Apr 6, 12 10:16 AM
Very pleased...this game was worth the CE status in my humble opinion. Lots of different scenes along with a nice blend of puzzles. Music was great, graphics outstanding, I really didn't need the SG except for looking back over a scene to make sure I didn't miss a morph object. It was definately long enough and the story line was enjoyable. In fact, I hope there is a third one! I recommend it, especially to those that are tired of the 'dark and dreary' games, it has a pretty decent story line as I said without all the "darkness". I hope that made sense.

[Post New]by Mystery_Egypt on Apr 6, 12 3:04 PM
I've been waiting for this sequel on BFG. I absolutely loved the first game, and the second one didn't disappoint me. I've played the full game.
Good graphics, not too many hidden object screens, nice puzzles, relaxing music. Also the map was very helpful! I especially loved that I could visit different "cultures"/places through portals

The only things that became boring for me were the long fireball animations and that whenever I solved a mini game/puzzle, I had to wait for a while for the glowing and sparkling to end in order to get my item. I think this effect was overdone. Even if there's magic involved, it felt odd that old stone puzzles or ancient stone figurines etc. sparkled during quite a few seconds in pink color...

Other than that I'm happy with the game and have enjoyed it very much.

Edited on 04/06/2012 at 3:13:55 PM PST

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 7, 12 1:28 PM
I have not played or purchased a HOG in quite awhile... taking a loooong break from the same ole, same ole. But, I decided to try this one, and loved the demo, so I splurged and purchased it. Love the graphics, and the story peeked my interest. No tech glitches on my end, and I like the adventure aspect, as well as the puzzles thus far.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Apr 7, 12 1:53 PM
Good game overall as the reviews enumerate.

I think I'll wait till the SE to purchase.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Apr 8, 12 8:25 PM
just finished the bonus section. i really liked this game. hos were good, not too hard, but with a little twist in each, just enough to keep it interesting. good puzzles also, some of which i actually skipped ! interesting story line, i liked going to different places...i am really glad i bought the ce on this, the bonus was fun also.
never got bored with this game, like the devs and would recommend anyone to try it.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Apr 9, 12 4:24 PM
Very Nice! Great wide screen graphics, good story and voice overs, and morphers to look for too! I found em all!
Decent, but also uninventive puzzles.
I really liked this sequel to the House of 1000 Doors, and hope to see more to come!
The Bonus Game was a good ending to this chapter in the series so far!
Thanks to BFG and the DEV's for this one !!!

avueik
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by avueik on Apr 10, 12 4:43 PM
What a fun game! Can't wait till it comes out in SE!!

sheltie07
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by sheltie07 on Apr 12, 12 6:51 PM
I just finished this game.................really enjoyed it....................
liked the bonus chapter the best..............worth buying............I have
the first one..............

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Apr 13, 12 12:34 PM
Oh my gosh, been gone for a while and came back to find a perfect game. This is awesome, wonderful, fun playing and full of adventure. Everything I love in a game. Thanks Devs, made me happy.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 13, 12 2:35 PM
This is a good game with great graphics, storyline, hogscenes and puzzles. But I think I will wait till the SE this time. I liked the first game a little bit more.

probaby221
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by probaby221 on Apr 16, 12 9:10 AM
I had problem at first in HO in tibet..then I UNINSTALL it and REINSTALL with a new profile..I played the whole game with any problems..GREAT GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

probaby221
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by probaby221 on Apr 16, 12 9:12 AM
BONUS CHAPTER WAS SO AMAZING..WORTH BUYING THE CE VERSION...

mar39
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by mar39 on Apr 17, 12 9:03 PM
Good game, and did enjoy my "travels". However the puzzles were too easy, even for me. And I find the storyline in the 1000 Doors series a bit confusing. Not that it matters in order to play the game, but it's like "why are these people/spirits/whatever they are in the house? what IS the house? why is it cursed?" Stuff like that.

Graphics and scenery were nicely done.

This next will sound like nitpicking, but these are things I'd like to see changed in general, with all developers, not just these folks:

(a) I'm running around building stuff, climbing up and down walls and cliffs, facing monsters and demons. I ASSURE you, I wouldn't be wearing a dress and pearls.

(b) Seeing as I am doing all of the above, why on earth would I be concerned about dirtying my hands to move leaves off a pile? Would I really have to go find a rake?

Seeing as I'm obviously brave enough to take on these challenges, would I really be afraid of spiders and mice?

Most games (there are a couple I've played that are better at this) have hidden object scenes where there are all kinds of inappropriate stuff. If I'm in a Viking village, would I really find a tennis racket? Again, not picking on these developers, many games are guilty of this.

Allow us to decide if we want the morphing objects. Personally, I find them distracting, but I know alot of people really like them. Give us a choice, and make it worth the trouble. There is absolutely no benefit to finding these things. Maybe shorter hint time?

I think in most games, the graphics and artwork are lovely and so is the music. It's more work on the storylline that needs to be done. Speaking of which, please don't have us go through all of this to just end the game so suddenly. I like a decent wrap-up.

If you folks are reading this, thanks much for your consideration.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Apr 19, 12 3:29 AM
Simply a good game! Excellent graphics, smart puzzles, beautiful artwork! captiveting storytale, and .....I just love portals....worthy C E, I liked it!!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 28, 12 7:02 AM
Valdy wrote:I won't bore you with how I felt about this game. I seem to have gone off most HOGs, and therefore my judgement is slightly tainted. However, I liked the game enough to buy the SE when it comes out.

I am quoting this part of my review on page 1.

I cannot believe I said that. I am playing the bonus game now and I was loving not only the main game (great graphics, lots of places to visit, beautiful scenery, and fun gameplay), but the bonus game is really great and fun and different, and I am loving it.

Just thought I'd mention it.

Edited to add: I have now finished the bonus game and, apart from the ending being a little abrupt, I loved it.
Can't wait to see the next instalment.

Edited on 04/28/2012 at 8:07:25 AM PST

KATE60
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by KATE60 on May 1, 12 5:46 AM
Great game, plenty to do and not too many hog's for me any way. I am now on the bonus chapter and it is great . Don't really want this game to end. I am enjoying it so much. Recommend it , plenty of game play.

Go to: