boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Strokes: Sins of the Fathers

[Post New]by boobailey on May 24, 12 4:01 PM
This game was pretty good. Liked the neat ending. Not a hard game. Lot's of HOS scenes and the puzzles were easy. I enjoyed playing this game

bunny3620
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by bunny3620 on Jun 24, 12 2:35 PM
I posted this in another area but I was wondering how to find out about other games by this company as I am so loving the one I am playing?

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 25, 12 2:49 PM
I played the CE. The SE plot is 100% tied up here the bonus plot was a backstory and an actual bonus plot (it wasn't needed to understand or complete the story.)

At the beginning I was really enjoying it then it began to fall apart a bit for my taste. The map wasn’t interactive and quite frankly useless and there was quite a bit of backtracking. Then they started to repeat hidden object scenes, there was a sparkle eye on the HOS and I played on the hardest of two levels. They also had random click penalty and the items were not sharp, and blurry and some quite small or faded. There were black bar tips (tells you what to do if you click on an item). Some of the cutscenes were flat ‘cutout’ characters that pop up with non moving lips and dialogue at the bottom. There were voiceovers at the start and end but not throughout the game.

HINT

The hint button will say ‘I don’t have anything else to do in this location’ but will also keep showing you an arrow until you get to an area where you can do something.

The plot was OK (I never like saying much as it gives too much away) but you have to find and rescue loved ones and defeat the baddie. I liked some of the cutscenes as some of the story was told through drawings.

The middle with all the backtracking and quite a lot of hidden object scenes had me a bit bored, it did pick up in spots but oh for a transporter map. Puzzles a bit varied in hardness but nothing hard or unique but I don’t think any were mind numbingly easy or boring.

TIME took me 5hrs 30mins
on hard for main game, so it was a long game.

This is one of those games, that I won't remember and will blend into the next one. Nothing special but nothing bad either. If they had given me a transporter map, sharpened the HOS and didn't repeat them then I would have enjoyed this game a LOT more.

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Jul 8, 12 7:54 PM
I only played an hour and in order to get enough of a sense of the game, found it best to skip the puzzles which were definitely a welcome challenge. I am looking forward to working them out. The game is beautiful and interesting and as I indicated the puzzles are an added bonus for their challenge to puzzle solving.A good game and definite buy.

KATE60
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by KATE60 on Jul 15, 12 4:44 PM
Really enjoyed this game. Just finished and it took me quite a while. I like to take my time and loved the puzzles. Not too many ho scenes , at least not for me , i prefer puzzles and loved these. Good storyline and hunk of a male. Very colourful and great graphics , could do with more like this. Highly recommended.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Aug 13, 12 5:16 PM
This is an excellent game! I couldn't stop playing, not even for lunch! The story engaged the player from the very beginning; had easy to medium-hard minigames; and voice- overs at the beginning and the end. Other times you read the dialogue. Graphics and music were superb! This is one of the best games (and longest) I've played -- over 7 hours! The hint button was very helpful. I liked the "big eye" rather than the sparkles to direct you to a hidden object scene. Just a nice change. I used the walkthrough only twice. **** Games is difinitely considering the player in their design of games! Thanks to both you and BFG.

Edited on 08/13/2012 at 5:21:04 PM PST

LadyJane50
Guppy
Guppy
183 Posts

[Post New]by LadyJane50 on Aug 20, 12 2:52 PM
Great game!

This game had a good storyline and the graphics were beautiful.

There are voice overs at the beginning and end of the game - would have liked to have more of them. No biggie.

Throughout the game you collect figurines which tell the story - figurine by figurine. This was different and pretty cool.

A big plus: It had a great ending. So many games wind up with a 20 second ending that leaves you wanting more. Not with this game.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Nov 18, 12 8:14 AM
this is one of the best games made, it has pretty graphics and a great story.------------------doug & lisa

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 7, 13 8:03 AM
Beautifully & Well Designed

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

If it wasn’t for the weather, I might have given this game five stars. But the endless downpour wears away at my nerves to the point I cringe every time the clues lead me outside. Which they do a lot, because there’s a lot of ground to cover.

Ethan Blake (that’s you) has to stop a madman before any harm can come to his fiancé, held by the kidnapper. It’s a familiar opening, but it soon takes off in new directions.

The story, though very cleverly and artfully told, is at times quite confusing, yet remains fascinating despite that. All sorts of weirdness happens that requires explanation. The ending ties all this up satisfactorily, if a little strained.

The game play is logical without being linear, you have a reasonable idea of where to look for the type of item you need.

Predominately HOs and relatively few not too difficult puzzles, this is nevertheless an exciting adventure, with superb graphics and delightful varied locations.

It is quite a long game, as there’s much to do and many places to go, but it doesn’t wear thin.

More games of this balance of mini-games and styles and story would be very welcome indeed. Very professionally done.

I recommend this game!

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 14, 13 2:02 AM
Bought this one on special as the initial reviews had put me off spending full price.

Played on the hard level, the only problem I found was the cursor being a little sloppy - sometimes not showing two areas close together as being distinct, sometimes having too large an area shown as significant. Future players, beware - move that cursor around a lot to catch everything. I don't know if doing it with sparkles alleviates this - maybe.

As noted in the reviews, the fun little interactive bits in the HOS disappeared after the first few. Did somebody quit the team? Was there a big rush to meet a deadline?

The tower looked like Barad-Dur. I'm surprised the pit wasn't called the Crack of Doom because the quest was rather LotR-ish. The plot was okay, although I wondered given the illustrations how Pop managed to miss what really was going on - it looked like he had a pretty good view to me. otherwise, the plot was decent and well-developed.

The adventure bits were logical but I thought there were too many clues. The puzzles were fun. The best part for me, being a recent victim of other game-makers' products where game freezes and slow-downs were a constant problem, was that the game played straight through with no technical glitches. A relief! I add a star for that alone so this one gets four stars.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

It was only OK.

[Post New]by roaming on May 7, 13 12:24 AM
twinsoniclab wrote:This was a long game. I started tiring of it before it was over it was so long! I thought the beginning was much better than later on, in terms of story and puzzles.

The puzzles are way too easy. In a few cases I didn't know what to do, and just randomly was able to solve them. Or it required doing things in a specific order, and I guessed right first try.
I routinely skip all puzzles, but in this game, there were some that did not allow a skip, which was pretty infuriating. But I did eventually figure out what to do.

Some of the HOGs were impossible without using hints, others were clear and I got through them quickly.

I also got tired of the game before it was over. But I loved that there was an actual ending.

SPOILER - PLEASE SKIP IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THE ENDING: I wish that the father had not had to die in the end. He could have thrown the heart In the abyss and escaped with the rest of them, having become a renewed man.

In spite of my few complaints, I thought this was an excellent game.

Edited on 05/07/2013 at 12:28:21 AM PST

[Post New]by philanna3827 on May 14, 13 8:48 PM
Wow! This was a long game and loved every thing about. Great story!

[Post New]by mybluevioleeyes1 on Apr 21, 14 12:06 PM
I`ve got the paint brush dipped it in the paink,tried several times to paint an eye on the canvas ,it doesn`t work,does anyone else have this problem,or know how to paint the eye,please help.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on May 10, 14 7:04 PM
This is just an excellent game all around! **** Games, BoomZap and Blue Tea are my favorite games out of all.
Sins of the Fathers was a great story with lots of HOS. The characters were good, the graphics and colors were just fine as can be and this is round 2 for me to play.
I couldn't ask for a better game. One of the best I've played! 5 out of 5

Go to: