[Post New]by ChocPeng on Apr 7, 12 2:49 PM

Edited on 04/12/2012 at 6:51:07 AM PST

equusjoy
Minnow
Minnow
243 Posts

Re:Reviews for Special Enquiry Detail: Engaged to Kill

[Post New]by equusjoy on Apr 7, 12 3:11 PM
I didn't care for the first game, too much yada yada going on. Right in the middle of the HOS and it was frustrating. If this is the same then I already know I don't have the patience for it. I love mysteries and I would purchase it if it wasn't for that.

Happy gaming, and Happy Easter.

Joy

Edited on 04/07/2012 at 3:12:43 PM PST

sunnyrocks
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyrocks on Apr 7, 12 4:38 PM
I decided to go ahead a purchase this game, I'm really enjoying it, not to hard not to easy, most things in the HOGs I can find, some are a little bit hard and I just click hint (refills pretty quick). Nice relaxing game with a good murder mystery story line. I have been playing on and off all day appears to be a pretty good length game.

This is one of those games that some people will like it and others won't. So give it a try if you like the demo I'm sure you will enjoy the rest ot the game.

Happy Easter

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Apr 7, 12 11:03 PM

I finally finished after about 9 hours of, mostly, straight play. Good murder mystery story with a surprise or two, including the ending.

Like the original Special Enquiry Detail game, the H0 scenes have short object lists so you don't feel like you're there forever just plugging away.

And the inventory items aren't just used once and then disappear, for the most part. You may have some carried for quite awhile before their use is obvious.

All in all, a great game because I never once lost interest in finding out what happens next.

Edited on 04/07/2012 at 11:04:45 PM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Apr 8, 12 5:03 AM
In my opinion this has The Hand That Feeds beat ten times over. I liked the first in the series and I love this one.

I don't think there is any way possible for developers to make a game that keeps you more involved in the story than this. It's extremely detailed game play.

The hidden object scenes and mini games are more difficult than usual But the HOS are not interactive..I don't understand those that complain about the hidden objects being hard to find. Yes, they don't jump right out at you but then if they did they wouldn't be hidden now would they?

There is a lot of chatter between detectives but it's easily clicked through if you don't want to read it. Although I found some of it quite entertaining

This does have some scenes that may shock some of the more sensitive players. For me? I believe that murder isn't pretty and shouldn't be portrayed that way.

This is full screen! Yay! Unfortunately,as yet, there is no walk through. I am a bit worried about the length but that is yet to be seen.

I have played a couple hours and am loving every minute of it so far.

I will be back when I have finished to give an opinion on the length.

Excellent Game! Give it a try Thanks again to BF and devs!!

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 8, 12 5:43 AM
I had an awful job getting underway with this game. It wasn't until after the demo that I really got the hang of it and saw that it was worthwhile.

A very long game which is well thought out and well put together. Good graphics and I just loved the soundtrack - exactly in keeping with the atmosphere of a good old fashioned detective story. I thought it was clever, very detailed, had great banter and was interesting enough to keep me wanting to know what happened next. Of course the killer is never who we think it's going to be that's what keeps pulling one along, unlike the usual ghostie/haunted manor tales, where there is no mystery. I really like the comic book cut scenes, they were very well done.

My one beef is the HOS. They were too cluttered, with a lot of objects too indistinct to make out, and they were a bit of a plod.

But overall, a good example of it's genre, which I award a 9/10.

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by divaprods on Apr 9, 12 10:03 AM
hydrogibbon wrote:I wanted to like this game since we're having such a good sale but I just can't get into it. The object in the hog scenes are way too small for me. The objectives are somewhat obscure. It just isn't a straight forward game. I dislike dealing with blood, hair, etc., samples. Some will like it and IMO more will not.

Agreed. Plus I thot some of the tasks tedious such as screwing in the lightbulb. I just couldn't get into this game.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Apr 9, 12 7:06 PM
I have mixed feelings about this game, although I will agree it seems much better than the first one in the series, which I did buy, but got pretty aggravated about. So far I haven't made up my mind about this one yet. I played through the hour trial, but a good deal of how it works and how the characterizations are put together are familiar from the first game, including the totally inappropriate clothing for the female protagonist, who looks like she came to work in her Wonderbra. My problem with the story is, unfortunately, I know NYC extremely well. While less so than the first game which made absolutely no attempt to have anything authentic about NYC in it, this one seems a little better; however, Liberty Island, where the Statue of Liberty is located, and where the first chapter is set, is run by the U.S. Park Service, not NYC. There wouldn't be security guards and any suspected crime would be investigated by the Feds, not the NYPD. Also, as far as I know there is no nicely landscaped area to set up for a picnic there. We don't say Enquiry in the U.S., but Inquiry, so there would be no "Enquiry Detail. I'm also not sure that the NYPD would come running at the beck and call of someone from the Chamber of Commerce.

Anyway, the game runs fairly well, with some rather slow loading in of scenes and some minor glitches; the story is certainly interesting, since I like straight mysteries. In the first game the developers made up the law completely so that it bore no resemblance to virtually any U.S. law (for instance interviewing, actually berating a minor, and no parent/guardians present is a total no, no in the U.S.); I assume I will find similar fantasy law if I buy this. I found one change from the first game kind of irritating -- they now have pop-ups of dialogue between the two detectives in the middle of the screen, not at the bottom -- the same dialogue will repeat when you go back and click on the area to complete a task. When the detectives speak to another character, then that shows up at the bottom of the screen, which is at least out of the way. All in all, I'm intrigued by the mystery, but not sure if I want to see another pretend NYC again. Hmmm.

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Apr 11, 12 5:36 PM
I loved this game! I loved the crime scene work, the lab work, etc. The hidden object scenes were a bit frustrating for me, but the storyline ROCKED! I always wanted a game that was based on the TV series, "Bones", this comes very close!
Loved the puzzles and the plot!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 13, 12 2:56 PM
This is a very good game, very interactive. I like especially the storyline. I think this game is a little bit better as the first game. For me its a definete buy

Mapsman
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by Mapsman on Apr 16, 12 4:18 PM
I wish I had played the demo longer before purchasing because this game is way too linear for me. I don't like it when you have to accomplish tasks in exactly the order that the programmer wants in order to progress. Also, I don't like glitchy cursor placements, one of which you can read about on the manhole thread here if you don't mind a spoiler. I'm putting this game aside for now.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Apr 18, 12 9:14 AM
It appears to be better and more polished than the first one, and I enjoyed it.
It's a buy for me...

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 21, 12 11:22 AM
I just finished this game and absolutley loved it. It was very long - I can't give an exact time but I doubt anyone will say they felt shortchanged length wise.

The story was wonderful but then I knew it would be from the opening shots when it said this was a Steve Ince game. Steve Ince is the writer of the classic Broken Sword series and the absolutely wonderful So Blonde game with its recently released spinoff Captain Morgane.

This is a crime drama casual game with true adventure game elements in it. Ince is a writer and so you will get dialogue. Well written dialogue makes a game memorable for me and I love it, but if you don't care for that kind of stuff, you probably won't enjoy this. The comfortable repartee between the two detectives was fun and I did my standard clicking on everything possible to get their comments on their surroundings.

Things that are standard in adventure games, like combining inventory items, are also present here. If people are not well versed in playing adventure games, they might want to take a quick look at the help section before starting and it will save some aggravation in trying to get things done like the combining objects.

The story was excellent and the hidden object scenes and puzzles were challenging without being impossible. I had a great time playing it.

Edited on 04/21/2012 at 11:23:54 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 3, 12 4:02 PM
Good Graphics, decent sound, and good story line. However, the first thing the program did was change my screen settings. I have a 24 inch monitor and the program pushed both sides of the screen out of sight. I could not access the menu or some of the objects. Playing the game became a nightmare. Leave my settings alone. If they need changing, I will change them. A definite NO BUY for me

[Post New]by scfishieinkt on Jun 2, 12 1:03 PM
I really like this game, but i'm stuck!! Chapter four the fake announcement, I can't drag my pics over to the side, so I can't get any further. Any suggestions?

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Apr 15, 13 8:06 AM
I didn't even make it very far in the demo...way, way too much dialog and game seemed slow, but the constant dialog was overwhelming. I'm not much for reading scene after scene of dialog. Might have been a good game, but I'll never know.

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Apr 18, 13 8:07 PM
great game, except some of the hos were so dark was hard to see them. as far as the det. goes in real life they would never make it .

Ridnhi
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by Ridnhi on Apr 25, 13 5:42 PM
I think this is one of the most well thought out games we have had lately. I bought it with not a lot of expectation but it got me interested and kept me interested for four or five days (playing a couple hours each day).
I certainly feel I more than got my moneys worth and my time was very pleasantly occupied with thought provoking moves to be made. I am not a fan of murder mysteries but this was an exception. Thanks to this fella "Steve Ince" and to BFG for time well spent. Yes, some of the hos were TOO well hidden and I had to use the walkthrough more than once or twice. But everything made sense and it also kept you wondering all the way through. GOOD JOB!!!

Go to: