Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Criminal Minds

[Post New]by Valdy on Apr 21, 12 10:45 AM
I just finished the second case, and with it the game.

The second case was fun, fun, fun. I really enjoyed it - far more than the first one, which seemed rather like a warm-up to the real thing. LOL

Although not to be compared with games from ERS, for example, this was a solid and entertaining game. And I really enjoyed the mini games.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 21, 12 11:12 AM
I was so hoping to like this game, because my favorite genre is anything to do with crime solving, law, and the who done it type games. Unfortunately, and right off the bat, the HOG scenes have several items listed in each, written in a foreign language I do not recognize, or just garbled letters? Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this, or if it is just with my computer? In any case, I don't like to use the hint button, except as a last resort. I am not willing to go through an entire game, and in every HOG scene, just to use the hint button for all the foreign labeled items, in order to get through the game. Maybe I will try to remove and reinstall the game to see if that resolves the issue, otherwise, no buy for me.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Apr 21, 12 12:30 PM
lilTweet7 wrote:I was so hoping to like this game, because my favorite genre is anything to do with crime solving, law, and the who done it type games. Unfortunately, and right off the bat, the HOG scenes have several items listed in each, written in a foreign language I do not recognize, or just garbled letters? Not sure if I'm the only one experiencing this, or if it is just with my computer? In any case, I don't like to use the hint button, except as a last resort. I am not willing to go through an entire game, and in every HOG scene, just to use the hint button for all the foreign labeled items, in order to get through the game. Maybe I will try to remove and reinstall the game to see if that resolves the issue, otherwise, no buy for me.

well in some scenes the letters are scrambled till you find ? marks

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 21, 12 1:11 PM
Actually like the game sorta. I am not certain why everyone is complaining about the games which came out this week???? Yes, I don't like the fact there are no voice overs. I have never watched this television program, so I have no clue who these characters are. The graphics are not clearest as well. Poorly done graphics. However, as a SE, it is decent. I will buy using my coupons as it looks decent enough to play. Again, folks, let's remember this is far better than HdO games. I see someone thought it was comparable to HdO games. No even close in my mind. Again, no ratty, dilapidated buildings, no poor English skills in labeling items, and the story to me is interesting!! I think is a very average game. Remember, we can't expect stellar games everyday. Those occur only occasionally.

BossBrat
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by BossBrat on Apr 21, 12 1:41 PM
I bought the game after playing the demo for only 15 minutes. It might not be spectacular, but it's every bit as good as most games. I found the graphics as good as any and the fact that it took about 2 seconds to change scenes didn't bother me in the least. If you are a fan of the tv show 'Criminal Minds' you will most likely enjoy this game very much. It's not filled with ghosts, vampires, ice queens and gore wherever, but do we really have to have that all of the time to enjoy a game? I hope not. And, you do have to remember, these are point and click games, the most simple games there are. None of them are exactly exciting, but we tend to expect more and more and more from games, but don't want to pay the extra price it would cost to develop those types of games. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give this one a 3 1/2, which is fine for a $7 point and click game.

murphy1923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by murphy1923 on Apr 21, 12 2:08 PM
I'm really liking this game - I usually don't care about the "story" but this one has gotten me interested, and I'm enjoying the slightly different game play. It may not be that difficult, and it's design is a bit simplistic, but it nevertheless has me intrigued. And I've never watched the tv show, but I might now.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Apr 21, 12 3:33 PM
I really tried to like this game as I enjoy the show, but comparing it to the Women's Murder club game, this game is 'old school'. It might be an ok game if there was nothing else out there, but when you have other games that don't have a 'clunky mouse' and poor cut scenes, then it's hard to part with well earned money to spend on it. There are just too many better games for me. So a no buy.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 21, 12 7:14 PM
Hey thanks to all who informed me here and in PM, that I had to unscramble the letters in some of the HOG scenes. I did not realize that! Duh me...

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Apr 22, 12 2:34 AM
I have just finished the demo and I am glad that I did. After reading the reviews, I wasn't really expecting much. I was surprised that when the demo ended that I actually wanted to keep playing. Yes, this may be more along the lines of "old school" and as other have said "it's not fantasy land, etc" it to me was just plain enjoyable. The mini games are different, the task list gives you extra details if you need the extra nudge, I liked the scrambled words in the HOS and it kept you thinking where to go or what to do next. So as others have stated, "Give it a try for yourself." You just might be surpised. I found it to be a good way to pass some time.
Enjoy!

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 22, 12 6:50 AM
This is an okay game in my opinion. I really like the tv-serie. The game doesn`t grab me really. For me its a no buy

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 22, 12 8:27 AM
this game is not my cup of tea. i like other HOS games

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Apr 22, 12 9:03 PM
Played two minutes and what a sleeper. I think I'll stick to watching it rather than playing the game.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Apr 24, 12 2:27 PM
Update from my last review post of this game. PURCHASED! Yes, I purchased it, after others corrected my mistake in understanding some HOG word/items, that needed to be unscrambled. I like these crime games. Just wish it had voice overs, but other then that, very good.

Bartsister
Clownfish
Clownfish
710 Posts

[Post New]by Bartsister on Apr 24, 12 4:22 PM
I enjoyed this game. I like the whole cop drama theme so that made it easier. I have never seen the TV show so I cannot speak to how it treated the characters from the show however.

The graphics were clear and objects findable. I thought the graphic style was appropriate for the type of story it was. It was more towards photo realistic for the HOG scenes and not the flowery drawn look that one finds in more fantasy type games. I really liked the anagrams in the HOG scenes but you don't have to do them if you don't like them.

I liked how they integrated puzzles in with the interrogations and profiling so you got info gradually as you moved through the puzzle instead of completely solving a puzzle and then getting a data dump to read.

I played on hard mode and didn't skip anything so I thought the length was very good, the stories in the two cases kept my interest and I generally had a good time with it.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,169 Posts

Just below average

[Post New]by cat52 on Apr 25, 12 10:15 PM
Any time I can play straight through a whole game on "expert" mode and not have to use any hints or skip any puzzles, I have an enjoyable time but I know the game is really too easy.

Gwion
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Gwion on Apr 27, 12 10:12 PM
I'm probably in the minority here too but I really liked this one. It isn't in the same style as the Ravenhearst games or the Mystery Trackers series, not graphically anyway. The game it resembles most, I think, is the Women's Murder Club series, which I also liked.

Unlike the WMC series, however, the HOG scenes are very clear with objects big enough to see--that was my only complaint about the WMC series!

I like lots of puzzles in my games and these were great with lots of matching, decoding, and other mini-games throughout both cases. If you're a fan of the show (I am! ), you'll enjoy playing as all the different characters and talking to Garcia on the computer. I thought it was cool how they kept a lot of elements of the show, like the profiling, and questioning subjects, but combined them with puzzles.

The best part of Criminal Minds, though, is the story. As with the Women's Murder Club series, both cases are interesting police procedurals. It's set in the regular universe, which is a change from the more fantasy-fairytale games like Mystery Trackers or Ravenhearst--no legends, no haunting, just crimes and people who want to solve them.

Another thing I appreciated: no CE/SE split. Get this and you get the whole game with no missing content or puzzles.

If you're looking for a big-budget game with live actors and voiceovers, this isn't it. But if you want good stories with fun puzzles and art worth looking at, you've found it. Enjoy!

deb911
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by deb911 on Apr 29, 12 6:59 AM
I finished the first case and now it won't let me go to the second case. Do I have to play the fist case again?

[Post New]by dezdimona12 on Apr 29, 12 2:42 PM
The main thing I have to say is: I am most grateful I only wasted $2.09. I probably played (if one would call it that) for 90 minutes or so and I only recall 2 or 3 hidden object rooms. About the only positive thing to say is the graphics are decent. One could fall asleep waiting or trying to get something to happen. I was really looking forward to playing since I am an avid fan of the series but what a huge disappointment. One can barely call it "playing".

[Post New]by kimafur823 on May 5, 12 3:52 PM

Edited on 05/08/2012 at 10:33:22 AM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on May 8, 12 6:55 AM
i did'nt get past the opening scene, way too much yapping and the dreaded black side bars. no buy here

Go to: