marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

Re:Reviews for Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman Collector's Edition

[Post New]by marg6043 on Apr 22, 12 4:02 PM
I played the demo and to tell the truth I found the game not to be in the same quality as other CEs we have seen.

Still I like the game but I found myself with some issues while playing, something I usually do not have with most CEs.

After reading some of the technical issues I am going to wait a littler bit before buying this one, but a buy it is for me.

The voices are ok no the best but ok, the music a littler bit on the monotone side but that is not problem for me also.

The story is good, kind of gave me dejavu and for some reason I could not stop thinking about pirates of the Caribbean.

Like I said is a buy for me but I am going to wait until some issues with the game are resolve first.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Apr 23, 12 3:17 AM
saphhire wrote:I have played the demo and only have a couple of gripes the voice over is dreadful and the hint button doesn't refill for a long while it can be used out of the HO's but says nothing to do here then you have to wait for it to refill..............................but other wise the games seems to be ok I won't buy it until someone posts how long this game is hate dishing out double for a game if it's not a long game..................... will wait.....................

I disagree and thought the voices were well done. We all have an opinion and mine is I appreciate the voices and thought the voice of the ghost was perfectly done. I haven't had any problems yet and if I do I may change my mind but right now I am enjoying the game. The puzzles are fun, HOS are clear, story is interesting. I can't say how long the game is but since I always take my time and enjoy the game try not to look at the SG unless necessary I always take longer than many others. The reason I didn't buy the last game Ulther cat? was because it was boring without any voices. Thanks Game Developers for giving voice overs in this game.

People who don't like voices can always mute them, just like the music that gets on my nerves I mute it, its no big deal and I don't complain. However when the Game developer leaves out the voices in fear people will criticize those of us who get tired of hearing our own voices in our heads don't have any option other than not buy the game. Thanks Game Developers for always giving people a choice whether they want to hear the music or voices by simply muting it as we choose. The best of both worlds. The details of lovingly trying to make a game that people will enjoy with little details amaze me like what creature barely pops its head in the ships hold on right hand side above the coffin. LOL I don't think it is pertinent to the story because you can't click on it.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Apr 23, 12 3:22 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:It seems decent enough but I think I'll wait for the SE and try it again. Did not like the voices, and since I didn't do the tutorial, I am not sure what the point of finding those pearls is for other than a story?
Oh well.

It was not in the tutorial but we were told when we gambled with the ghost at the tavern a necklace was important part of the game he said keep the trinket, and it is broken and needs repaired. The pearls are most likely are for the necklace. The voice of the pirate was perfectly done, LOL for a ghostly pirate that is.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 23, 12 5:39 AM
this game is a fairly good game, i would recommend it to all NEW hidden object game players.----------doug

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by runtotorun on Apr 23, 12 3:54 PM
Too musch to and fro for me. Couldn't care less about the sparkles...there were plenty of them but I played in casual mode it was to be expected.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Apr 23, 12 7:31 PM
I had played about half an hour of this game yesterday. Today I decided to play the rest of the trial period. Game Manager told me there was an update so I let it update the game. When I opened the game, I was asked to create a profile. I was going to have to start the game from the beginning! And that would mean I wouldn't get any farther into the game than I got when I played before. I feel cheated. And I didn't get far enough into the game to get interested enough to feel I wanted to buy it. Who knows how I would have felt if I had played further into the game?

As it stands, that update probably cost BFG a sale.

[Post New]by amyyurko on Apr 23, 12 10:17 PM
I need help. I used the guide to find the shovel in chapter 4 but its not where it said it is. And, I cant find it... Please help

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 24, 12 2:21 AM
Good work has gone into this game. The mechanics are flawless. Devs should take note of this game and see how navigation should and can function. It was a doddle, moving through this game. Nice graphics, not great, but well enough. Good story with a really excellent ending. Average puzzles.

In all honesty, although I cannot fault it, it just was not very exciting for me. It seemed to lack the x factor. Rather mundane, on a psychological level.

But still good work.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Apr 24, 12 8:54 AM
I enjoyed the game....I liked the little shrimp or lobster who gave the hints....at least he wasn't meowing all the time....Cats of Uther obviously was developed by the same people. I like the "nothing to pillage here" bit...it was clever. Overall I liked the graphics and flow of the game....yes yes there are junk piles and same old done a million times mini-games here and there, but overall a great fun game. I will buy the SE version of this game as I am getting pickier on CE's due to financial constraints but if there were a sale on CE's (two for one), I would definitely buy it that way.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Apr 24, 12 4:36 PM
This was a good game once the glitches were fixed with an update.

Puzzler924
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Puzzler924 on Apr 25, 12 8:42 AM
Hi fishies! Since I wrote in about the missing shovel (like many other players), I thought you might like to know that since you fixed that glitch, I have had no trouble with this game, and I enjoyed it very much. It was very long and interesting, as was the bonus game. Thanks so much for this one, and keep them coming!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Apr 28, 12 8:55 PM
Hope I remember what I was going to say in my review cuz I finished the main and bonus games last nite, but my keyboard stopped working!! I think (!!) I thought the game O.K. ! No seriously tho, I thought some of the objects in the HOS were hard to see, either too small or too dark or both. And if I had to see "Aarrrgh" at the top of my screen one more time, I was going to walk the plank! The music was fitting for the game, but got kind of monotonous after awhile. I like pirate themes whether its in a game or a movie (love Johnny Depp!!), so I had a pretty good time - graphics were O.K. and the story interesting. And my keyboard really did stop working!! Don't know why but we fixed it!

feenix

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 1, 12 8:30 AM
Well, I needed 3 more punches last month, and bought the CE for this game after all.

And I have no regrets. This was a really great game. Quite long main game, and I really enjoyed the bonus game as well, although the very end made me say: eh? LOL

I first feared that, after I entered the ship, that was where I would spend the rest of the game. Not so, I am very pleased to say.

And just when I thought the bonus game was finished, a little more came along.

[Post New]by sjsullivan on May 3, 12 11:36 AM
Great game!!!! A little difficult because they had me running from mansion to boat, etc a lot but a very, very interesting and fun game!!!!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on May 18, 12 5:32 PM
Very well done game... I liked most everything about it; although it wasn't exactly very challenging, it was entertaining, and the graphics and sound were well done. Personally, I even liked the voice acting, hey, at least it wasn't cheesy nor did it "try" to hard to be 'dreadful' as some games.... it was just fine.

Thumbs up.

PS: Hmm, I would never have plastic surgery wherever that undead captian had his... his nose was waaay 'off', haha.

Edited on 05/18/2012 at 5:35:28 PM PST

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on May 18, 12 6:23 PM
Thank goodness that I purchased this game during the Collector's Eddition "sale". I could never get into this game. I found it boring and difficult to follow. I have played a lot of games, but this one leaves much to be desired.

Didn't care for all of the running around; it was totally unnecessary.

I rate this game a 2...sorry can't go any higher than that.

[Post New]by Earth_mom on Jul 5, 12 10:09 AM
Secrets of the Seas: Flying Dutchman collector's edition: I got bored with it. graphics are attractive but a little confusing and gameplay is simply unfathomable (haha)

technocratee
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Good game

[Post New]by technocratee on Jul 11, 12 6:08 AM
This review from the full CE which I bought during the CE sale. I love pirates and ocean games.
It's a very descent game. Maybe a bit easy. It's best quality is it's long, many puzzles. I spent many hours (I'm a slow player).
Strategy guide stays at where you left it.
The graphics a bit grainy but things are still clear, the oldness suits the story. (Like the Cats of Ulthar (which I really liked).
Story not great but not bad. I didn't like the voices.
I recommend it against many other games.
The CE offers a bonus chapter worthy of playing.
Disagree with 'cbtx': "-junkpile HOS with objects that are indistinct and amount to tests of good vision as opposed to clever hiding and placement of items. And many of the objects are irrelevant to the game."
Was not junkpilish, I'll show you junkpiles. Objects were of epoch, relevant for the most, although a bit easy, which I like.
I give it 4 and half stars.

Go to: