belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

Re:Reviews for Antique Mysteries: Secrets of Howard's Mansion

[Post New]by belamba on Apr 23, 12 10:16 AM
I really tried to like this game, but just didn't! Slow cursor didn't help either.
Too much hand holding...'click on scroll' etc.
Nothing new regarding gameplay. All seemed a bit old hat. HOG scenes were boring, Items were often so invisible/small that even if you found one accidentally you weren't sure what it was you'd really uncovered.
Lasted less than 20 minutes to uninstall.
Even as a DD I'd not want the game.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Apr 23, 12 11:05 AM
I really liked the game, I think this game is very interesting and to play in fact I just bought this game loved the graphics and music and story lines..Thx DEV's great job! thx BF for a wonderful game on a Monday..

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 23, 12 11:40 AM
I see that I got to the library before my time ran out, so I figure I have maybe another 1.5-2 hours of game play. Pretty short game. Graphics nice, music nice, liked the voices. HOGs, had to click multiple times before item would pick up, some items very difficult to see. Hint system not bad, but I prefer systems that do not use the hint when they tell you to exit to another room. Game play wasn't too bad, but didn't really keep my attention and make me want to continue to the end.

Yes, this is very much like the Winchester story, but it is a nice little game for a beginner or for a rainy day with nothing else to do (my personal opinion only). I will put this in my puddle as a maybe, might purchase.

Thanks for the reviews.

(edited for spelling error)

Edited on 04/23/2012 at 11:49:08 AM PST

[Post New]by Mystery_Egypt on Apr 23, 12 11:42 AM
I have played the demo for 40 minutes, but this game couldn't draw me in. The animations and voice-over were good, but I didn't like the still screens and HO screens.
The graphics looked old, even a little amateurish, the navigation was non-intuitive.
Not a game to buy for me unfortunately.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 23, 12 11:42 AM
This is an okay game in my opinion. Great is okay, gameplay also, For me its a no buy yet, but maybe if we have the next sale. But not yet.

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Apr 23, 12 12:15 PM
I loved the gameplay and the puzzles were very interesting but the miniscule hidden objects makes this a no buy for me. I enjoyed everything but the hidden object scenes. I wouldn't even consider this as a DD because of that. It's no fun waiting for the hint to refill 5 or 6 times to complete a HOG.

pupulegirl
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by pupulegirl on Apr 23, 12 12:56 PM
I really enjoyed this game. I read the reviews before downloading and there were enough good remarks that I thought I would at least give it a try.

While the HOg objects were small, I guess they weren't small enough to complain about and used very few hints during the demo. The hints I did use were usually the ones in the journal to see where to go next.

I'm gonna go purchase this now and my advise to anyone who, like me, likes to read the reviews before downloading...If you are hem/hawing about what to do, go ahead and give the game a try. You just may like it. If you don't, ho harm/no foul, you can always delete it.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 23, 12 1:01 PM
I must say, this is a different HOG. I didn't find the objects small but some were well hidden. So far I find it interesting a little changeling. Puzzles are ones I have seen and played, but enjoy them. Will have to think a bit about if I want to buy or not?

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Apr 23, 12 1:30 PM
You just never know, do you ? I expected to love the Titanic game was so disappointed. Had very low expectations for this game and almost didn't try it - so thanks to all of you fishies who said "give it a try". Found that I really like it.....

It's a funny old world!

This game is a combination of old school HObj and a slightly "odd" adventure game. It's quirky and different and I'm off to buy it. A nice way to spend a Saturday afternoon recovering from knee surgery.

Thanks, developers, for something that is a challenge and fun!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Apr 23, 12 1:56 PM
I actually quite liked this game ... despite the sparkles ... and the reason some of objects took me a while to find was because they were cleverly hidden and at first glance couldn't be seen. This makes the HO scenes more interesting because I have to stop and think now where would I hide that object if it was me.

The graphics are reasonably good and not at all blurry and to me that is more important than the style being up-to-date and I also like there are quite a few puzzles. I have only run one Auction so far but I did manage to earn an update for the gallery .

Seymour's voice is good and I am just intrigued enough to want to find out what he doesn't want me investigating while I am collecting those antiques and, as I also like finding secret rooms, this game is a definite buy for me.

Cherb

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 23, 12 1:58 PM
Very strange, but I really like this game; however, I like puzzles. With my large screen the hidden object scenes are not bad for me, but with a small computer I can imagine it could be difficult. I have to give my regards to BF providing several days of great games. I am saving these for summer vacation as I will have much more time to play games. The puzzles are unique and fun. So..... I for a change disagree with most and give it a thumbs up! However, you will need a large screen monitor to play the HOG scenes unless you want to use the hint button consistently. The only complaint is that there is only mode of play instead of easy and challenging. However, I find it challenging and that is enough for me.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Apr 23, 12 3:44 PM
Sheerija wrote:This is not a review because I never review anything without finishing it first, but there is no comments thread.

This is great!!! I absolutely love it and my gut feeling is that it is only going to get better. It's logical and intelligent and I love that when you first walk into a big, beautiful room, the entire thing is one big HOS at first. Then there are other things to do in it. They have also gone to the trouble of creating some new puzzles of their own.

The Flying Dutchman can go take a flying leap, and after it has landed, it can just wait. This is much more interesting.

I agree with you Sheerija I just finished it and had so much fun never bored once and didn't stop playing for at least 8 hours straight! The voice was done very good in my opinion. I just finished the game and was really shocked me how much I loved "secrets of Howard's mansion" I am burned out with HOS one right after another and usually hate static HOS but this game is so much more than HOS and the voice was done very well and plenty of things to do besides HOS it is an adventure game also.

The mini games were all different and so much fun most I never saw done before. Their is a character in the game that really is so cute, he dances, bounces up and down on a trampoline, and even shakes his booty as he turns and dances,you will see a lot of him during the game, and when you get to the ballroom and see what happens I laughed aloud.

One of my favorite parts is the auction room where you upgrade your museum decorating it! One of my favorite mansion rooms with interactive stuff to do was the "upside down room". That is another thing I loved about the game the interactive part is not hard and is not boring. The graphics are beautifully done and it has a map to show which rooms you unlock. I must have played it 8 hours straight it is not a short game I certainly got more for my money. I read everyones review and some were judging this by the opening hos but if they would play the entire hour they may change their mind. I am so glad I bought this and hope others will give the full demo a try. The hos are static screens but it didn't stop me from enjoying it and the hint fills up quickly and hos screens are clear. I never needed a walkthru the hint works outside the hos also. This may not have all the newer bells and whistles in the graphics but it kept me interested and I rate it as FUN.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Apr 23, 12 3:55 PM
Valdy wrote:This review is based on the demo:

There is only one gameplay mode, but you can click "Hide Tips" in the Option section.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a JOURNAL at the left, which also shows you your objectives.
The OBJECTIVES section also has a "Hint" button which, when clicked on, will tell you what your next step is to get the objective done.

There is a MAP on the right, just above the HINT button. It shows you where you are, where the next secret room can be found, once unlocked, and where you still have things to do, and it shows all the other locked areas.
You can't use the map to jump.

The MENU button in the shape of a lion door knocker is at the top left side.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are in the main scenes - some of them have better and some of them have worse graphics. On the whole, the graphics could have been better.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS, only takes about 30 seconds to refill.

There are quite a few puzzles to do, and they seem really fun and intriguing. Also, you have to find keys with which to unlock the secret rooms.

--- --- ---

All in all this is a rather fun and interesting game. I am not too happy with the graphics when I have to find hidden objects, but I can overlook that, because otherwise this is a really good game.

Off to buy.

Hi Valdy
we are liking the same games today, first the "Flying Dutchman" and we both agreed on the voice overs were done good and game is FUN. Now this game also. You will laugh when you see the little character that shakes his booty at you! I loved seeing him in many parts of the game and favorite is trampoline and ballroom. It took me 8 hours to finish the game, I really loved taking my time with the challenge to get the best upgrade in decorating my museum. The mini games are great I have never seen anything like them, all unique. I sure would like to see the same Co. make another game and use more modern game designing with their imagination I think it would be a best seller. The HOS is the part that needs improvement on but the objects were not hard to find with no penalty to click. Also sometimes I needed to be reminded to click on the scroll for the list of inventory items needed. I hate boring HOS but this game is more of an adventure with lots to do than a boring HOS in my opinion.

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on Apr 23, 12 4:04 PM
The story seemed interesting and different. HO scenes were very challenging, but not impossible. Hints refill quickly, about 30 seconds, so if you need to find the last item or 2, you don't wait forever for a recharge. Some of the items are a bit small. What makes this one a no buy for me is there is way too much hand holding. There is only one level of play. There is, as someone pointed out, an option to hide hints, but I don't know what that did.

Please, devs., give us a choice of levels of difficulty. Many devs are giving 3 choices now. This is a good effort for a developer I have not heard of. It might be a good game for a beginner (with perfect eyesight!)

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Apr 23, 12 4:40 PM
I am glad we had a game that didn't have any problems. It was good game but I rate it only 3 star.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Apr 23, 12 4:48 PM
Sheerija wrote:Rave, rant, enthuse and gush!

My gut feeling was right. It gets even better. Not only that, but it keeps getting better throughout. There are numerous delights and surprises in every location, not seen before in other games. It's chock full of wonderful innovations that kept me totally absorbed. I didn't even stop for my usual coffee break. I'm actually dying for the loo.

These devs listened when we said we want new and different and they called up a plethora of creative talent, and delivered just that.

I wouldn't have passed it up for the world and I am soooo sorry I have finished it. 3.5 hrs of total enjoyment.

Excellent work, devs. You know where it's at and you've got what it takes.

Oh, well, I guess now it's back to The Flying Whatshisface.

WOW you finished it in 3.5 hours and it took me 8 hours! Did you bid and get the best for your upgrades to the museum? Like the red velvet curtains, best bust, best picture etc? I am in awe if you did. Glad you agree on this game, I truly was sorry to see it end and want to see more from the Game developers. The voice was done well also. The sense of humor with the mystery main character helps to solve the crime made me laugh aloud.

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Apr 23, 12 6:14 PM
I just finished the demo and ended up just a small bit into the second chapter. So I figure that it would take me closer to 6-7 hours to finish if the chapters are about the same size. I am not a fan of a lot of H0 scenes, but I didn't have a lot of trouble finding the objects and the hint button filled really fast. I really enjoyed the hour I spent on this, a nice change from the darker, scarier ones. This one is a definite buy for me.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Apr 23, 12 6:38 PM
Nice for an SE! Not the fabulous art of the CE's, of course, but still a very engaging and fun game. Good voice work, too, and I usually hate the voices. I'm going to buy it when I can.

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Apr 23, 12 7:12 PM
I played less than 15 minutes and uninstalled. Too boring, storyline is boring, not enough action.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Apr 23, 12 10:20 PM
havasulady wrote:I believe this is an INVISIBLE object game! When objects are this small it takes the enjoyment out of any game. No buy for me.

Ditto. Plus, I prefer a less tongue-in-cheek game. That's the only way I can think of to describe it. Even though I only played through the first HOS and going into the foyer, I found the whole thing weird. A rocket ship in the front yard? Please.

Go to: