Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

Re:Reviews for Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Apr 28, 12 9:34 AM
Here is my review based on the DEMO
I downloaded it, filled in my player name, selected a few options, went to a bunch of H0scenes, played a mini game or two and applied items to other stuff.
..........Now that makes yet another worthless review based on the DEMO version.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Apr 28, 12 10:09 AM
Another principally HOG game. Game is not that exciting. Personally, I do not like games which are primarily HOGs and really don't like asylum games with ghetto environments. Sorry. I like scary games, but like the scenes to be somewhat together and not look like they had survived some war. There are voice overs, but for me, tired of dilapidated buildings. Not my cup of tea, but some of you seem to like it. I am rather surprised it did not end up as a CE, but BF may have felt that it lacked in the puzzle department. Anyway, hoping there is a great CE tomorrow. I beta tested one several months back which I still have not seen concerning a witch. Hope it arrives soon. If not, Monday I get my Nancy Drew game which will keep me busy for weeks.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Apr 28, 12 10:16 AM
I dindn't find the game to be that good. It's a little to jumpy for me and when I first turned it on couldn't see all of the screen, but did find out how to fix that. Haven't played entire game but not something I am rushing to do. Maybe after lunch I will like it?

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Apr 28, 12 11:00 AM
I don't play puzzle games, but does anyone know if puzzle game reviewers complain that a game has too many puzzles?

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Apr 28, 12 11:34 AM
ok, finished it and it was quite a good game once one gets into it.
graphics seemed to get better and better, or maybe I got used to them..either way, well done
storyline-we've seen it before, but there is a bit of a twist towards the end
art work and video--really well done , CE level art work and the video spots are pretty dramaitic, sometimes a wee bit over the top in some of the patient rooms
hint button- fast and a blessing, especially in the beginning while your getting used to the darkness..which frankly sets the mood,,it's raining and scarey
Length- well for me, it was about 41/2 hours, and I wasn't trying to find the morphing objects. It d be worth it to play it again in a day or two and try to find these.
in general- very playable, enjoyable, I completely wasted a lovely afternoon sucked into this game. IT's a definate good buy,.
kris

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Apr 28, 12 2:00 PM
Well another game that is worth its price as a SE, nice story dark and dreary, interesting that me been a sunny and happy type of personally find myself attracted to this type of games, give me a dark mystery theme with dark scenes and I be all over it.

Graphics are good but because the dark theme makes them look to me a littler bit off.

The scenes are also dark but with the interaction that for me compensate, still I had not problem finding the objects so far.

Yes I agree that is the same old same with another change here and there, but if you are like me and enjoy this dark, shadowy games it doesn't matter, in my books "Keep them coming".

Edited on 04/28/2012 at 3:40:27 PM PST

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Apr 28, 12 2:02 PM
well at least the dev's "Lazy Games" got that right, the HO's were ..they were so lazy-a-ly done that after 5 minutes I had to quit. sorry ..no buy for me...I will just wait til you come out with games from ERS studios...this game isn't even worth a free trial period...such a waste of time...

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Apr 28, 12 2:16 PM
textrekkie wrote:This review is based on the demo version

Abandoned: Chestnut Lodge Asylum starts out with a well done cutscene that draws you into the a personal nightmare of being chased through a ramshackle building that ends with falling into an elevator pit. You waken to find that in reality, someone else has met your fate. Not a bad beginning for yet another asylum game. And though I'm not a huge lover of the overdone dark and eerie "guess what happened here" game, this one is holding my attention.

Up front options include sliders for music/sound/brightness (note: it would be nice to have a separate volume control for voices); widescreen/fullscreen/stretch fullscreen (for widescreen monitor users who want to cover their screens and don't mind distortion or roll off)/custom cursor. The game also offers 2 game play modes - Casual and Expert but the only difference noted between the two is the amount of time it takes the hint and skip buttons to charge. However, I tested both and can say that Expert mode does not higlight active areas, but does highlight HOS. And there are LOTS of hints given in the journal. Some suggestive hints are given in the text, but they are not blatant, i.e. they don't come right out and tell you the exact tool needed.

The HOS are junkpile style with interactive objects included. So far there seems to be one HOS for every 3-4 scenes. The objects are of good size with none being overly small/tiny. None of the HOS have been reused so far, but I didn't go very far in the demo. There are morphing objects that are very subtly done (bravo) as well as achievements. I didn't find the game or HOS overly dark for an abandoned asylum. The ambient sound FX are well done and suitable and the graphics are very sharp and clear. This game is a definite buy for me because I think it's an excellent story so far, it has great morphing objects and achievements and it's well done technically and its nice to look at. I'll be back to write a full review later.

I really liked your review, very well said!
I bought the game after 15 min of the demo. Am enjoying it. I got excited when I saw the title, especialy the word Asylum, these are the kinds of games I love. Good job Devs. We have had some really great games this month and worth every penny.
Gotta get back to the game, just wanted to post my thoughts.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Apr 28, 12 9:45 PM
I played for about 20 minutes, and knew this was no game for me. I am sick of asylum stories, fuzzy dark HOGs and roaming all over with items that have no meaning. And, I do not want to collect stars throughout the game. Sorry BF, this is a no buy for me.

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on Apr 29, 12 2:03 AM
This was disappointing indeed .

I quit after 17 minutes - having come across FOUR HiddenObjectScenes which were just the type of personal nightmare for me: dark and grainy, cluttered with trash you hardly could identify. I don't mind if there are some of those, but one
HOS after another, and the junkpile-style...

Too bad, because I liked the screenshots, was interested in the plot and enthusiastic to see that they had included achievements and a strategy guide - in an SE!

No buy for me, not even as a gift.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on Apr 29, 12 2:22 AM
Thank you Devs and . IMHO this is one of the best games I've played in awhile. I couldnot believe that it was only reg price. I felt the lenght, and the stradegy was well worth the price. This game took me longer to complete then some of the CE's. I for one, can only say I really loved this game. Am going to watch for more from this Dev. Hopefully the next one is Frozen, not sure tho. Again Kudos Devs and .

aanr52
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by aanr52 on Apr 29, 12 6:42 AM
In a word? EXCELLENT! I truly enjoyed this game - lots to do, fun puzzles and the SG was awesome, especially for a non-CE game! I loved this game! Took me 4 hours to cmplete and worth every second!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Apr 29, 12 6:46 AM
this game was very enjoyable, it is well worth the money. even though some people do not like the plot, it is a great HOS game.-----------doug

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Apr 29, 12 7:17 AM
I really like this game, especially the storyline. The graphic is pretty good, hogscenes and puzzles too. For me its a definete buy

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Apr 29, 12 11:18 AM
In all fairness I have to say that although I didn't like the game, that was only because I have an aversion to run-down, derelict buildings with no colour and nothing nice to look at. They depress me and I play these games with no enjoyment.

So why did I buy it? Because I buy anything that's not nailed down.

But the game itself was well done and I cannot fault it.

Good job there, devs.

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Apr 29, 12 8:40 PM
This one won't be a buy for me. It's dark, dreary, and OMG another asylum game. I really hate asylum games. The hog scenes were junk piles, and some of the objects were hidden in dark areas where I had a hard time finding them even with the hint button. I also really hate looking through fog and haze. I enjoy sharp and colorful graphics. And, it's the first time I had to turn "off" an option. It opens up in "wide screen", which you don't need with a 22" desk top monitor. I couldn't figure out why half of the items list, the bottom of the hint button and the menue button couldn't be seen. Then I found the answer in the tech problems area. Too bad, I was really hoping I could overlook the fact that it's set in an asylum, but there are too many other negatives for me to purchase this game.

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Apr 30, 12 3:28 AM
Not a bad game although didn't love the dark graphics and the need for handholding once again. Getting really tired of elevator rides. Hate this new trend. The guide was useless and had to rely on the Walkthough too many times. Not a game I will save and replay.

Edited on 04/30/2012 at 3:29:00 AM PST

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Apr 30, 12 3:59 PM
I just completed the game and it took me over 5 1/2 hours. I didn't have any technical problems and I thought the game was very well done. The graphics were good (not great). I found the HOG scenes fairly simple and only had to use a hint once several times. I love this type of story line, so I didn't mind it was another asylum game.

Very rare that we get a stradegy guide in a SE, so that was a big plus. Didn't use it very much, but it was there when I needed it. Most of the mini games were fairly easy and only skipped three of them (mostly because I had something else to do soon and wanted to move on as quickly as possible).

I didn't evem find half of the morphing objects, so I am going to play again very soon and trying not to skip or miss anything.

Thanks BFG and Devs for a wonderful and enjoyable SE game.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Apr 30, 12 6:20 PM
Yes, we are back in the "nut house," (the only real minus to this game) but this is a nice game. As I have stated many times before, I play the game, not the story. Clear graphics, nice music, not an over abundance of HOGs, games not difficult (require a bit of brain power on some). Not a bad story line. Didn't have any problems with game play.

I like the morphing objects. Makes the game a bit more challenging and not just an easy walkthrough. Nice hint system.

Wasn't quite ready for the demo to be over..went by too quickly. Looks like it might be a fairly long game and looking forward to finishing. Nice SE for a change and I will use a credit for this one. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Apr 30, 12 6:29 PM
Just finished playing the Demo and definetly have mixed feelings about this one. I didn't mind the graphics (grainy and gloomy) but I HATED all the HOS and I must say, and this has happened so many times before, but I never mentioned it in my reviews, when there is a HOS in a refrigerator, couldn't they make the HO's what really would be in a refrigerator?! In this game, there was a PLUNGER!! YUCHH!!
I also had a hard time finding the objects, and as a few other fishies said, I had to use the Hint Button more than usual. Thank goodness it fills up quickly. Well, I have to think about this one a little more, although you do get alot of game for the money. And I will probably end up buying at some point.

feenix

Go to: