puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Comments for Gardenscapes: Mansion Makeover

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 5, 12 1:34 AM
I have all 3, GS1 SE, Farmscapes and GS2 CE versions.. Let me tell you this one is the very very best IMO. The graphics in HOS are bigger, colorful, clear on my laptop. Easy really so the game flows very quickly to grab more gold to buy more stuff. You can opt for timer. But getting back to Austin with the cash is all the fun and the stuff to buy on GS2 is even more fun. I started cheap on each item and upgraded later. Smaller TV, but OMG when I upped to the home entertainment size LOL, huge screen, you can see more of what
Austin is watching and get his comments. Cute Playrix game ads on it too, then he gets to be on TV himself, and his comments about the interview are hilarious. Then the piano, he sits and plays, so far 2 different tunes, a Scott Joplin waltz I love. But he always has a new thought pop in his head, thinking of a broom and leaves the piano mid stream to clean house.

This is maybe a HOG genre but the best thing about it is NOT playing but getting to the next scene with him and doggie and watching his antics and what he is saying. This is the best dialogue/monologue writer in all the games I ever played. He talks like we talk, not a written script reading off a page. Big difference and you can't help feeling you know him.

Much more to do and see in this, even some interaction fixing stuff. Yeh my first room was pretty tacky. When I got to bonus game, just one new room, then the rest repeated rooms, different lists, I was getting mega bucks fast to go change everything, nicer coordination. I guess it is endless if you want to keep buying and changing and "chatting" with Austin. How rare it is to find a game that makes you laugh and is intelligent, but family fare too.

Just don't fly through the scenes between HOS, oh, and if you click on each customer they make faces at you, very funny. Hover over candles, lights and they light up, bump into balloons with your pointer, they bob like real ones. Hover over old radio and it plays. These are the little fun things that I can feel how much fun the devs were having and it's contagious. How can you not love Austin who IS the game?

I guess it is a softie here so maybe more people will buy from the dev, the CE gets them more $ and they deserve it. Extras are a new HOS, music tracks etc but not enough for BF to think CE worthy. IMO just a SE would be worth $13.99 for allthat went into its making.

I know I will have this one on my laptop for a long long time, it won't get old

Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by 0161 on May 5, 12 2:58 AM
bradalex wrote:Loved the first one and this is even better. Have been playing all day and still haven't finished. Have to stop now to feed the family (b****y nuisances, they were fed yesterday!)

Yeh, family do get in the way a bit! lol.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on May 10, 12 5:31 PM
I enjoyed this game at first but now I am having a horrible time. I don't want to buy a suit of armor or a statue or most of the things I believe I am required to buy. It just goes against my grain to be buying thing I don't like. So I have a lot of money and I'm not buying anything.

I know it's just a game but I hoped I would have a little more choice as to what I could pick. There are only three choices for each item. I don't like the paintings that I had no choice but to take (or the ottoman). I don't like the clock. I don't like the couch and the chair. I guess that out of all the items there is only one that I like and that is one of the lamps. Unfortunately my computer (which is very sensitive) clicked on the wrong lamp. According to what I've seen in the HINTS I should be able to change it but I can't and now I have three of them.

So if I'm not actually selling things I end up looking at this giant room full of stuff that I would never pick even if I had a real mansion. It looks tacky and ugly. The garden (from what I've seen) is beautiful.

I'm very disappointed. I didn't play the first game but I bet it was a lot more fun.

I don't even care about Austin or the dog. It gets old very fast - and there are some glitches as when Austin sits down on nothing and when he pets and talks to thin air instead of the dog. I've also noticed that several times I click on items (directly on them) and they are the correct items but nothing happens until I go back and click again. This is my first day playing and I dislike it. I bought it because I enjoyed the demo very much and played for the whole hour. I didn't realize that I would be forced to buy things like suits of armor! All I'm doing is clicking on items and skipping the rest.

To each his/her own, I guess.

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 7:21:11 PM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on May 10, 12 5:35 PM
What is a soft release? (sorry; I'm new at this and don't know the terminology yet).

What the? I just noticed that I've turned into a starfish!

Edited on 05/10/2012 at 5:36:22 PM PST

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on May 11, 12 2:05 PM
OK. I admit it. The game is absolutely addicting. If I hate it so much why have I spent three hours playing it today? I admit that I tortured Austin by making him walk up and down the stairs over and over. I admit that I tortured him by making him play with the dog (Keenah Pie - after my real dog, a sweet border with a funny name) and then sending the dog to her bed to sleep before she returned the stick. I bought the suit of armor. Ick.

But then I let Austin sit in his rocker outside. And it wasn't raining, either. I learned how to change at least one lamp to the one I wanted, although I can't change the two that somehow just appeared. I even tried to buy a second aquarium but I don't know how.

I retract my first review. There is something about the personal involvement, even if it's as simple as Austin calling my dog by her real name (although he also refers to her as "he" - oh, bad Austin!) And he gets upset if I click too much. I do appreciate snarky comments if I'm being snarky.

I don't hate the game anymore. I'm getting better at finding things and that's why I chose to play HOGS in the first place. I wish I had started off with the garden game; I'll try to find that one and purchase it. I think it's best to start with that one. And I do wish I could design more than just that huge room.

Problems:
(1) clicking on correct items but they don't count; this has cost me money.
(2) clicking on a clock several times when one is requested and then discovering that it is an alarm clock and doesn't count (it's still a clock!)
(3) minor glitches in picking up items outside in the garden.
(4) very minor problems in spelling.
(5) what does that camera do?

Good things:
(1) interaction with characters, including being called by one's name and having a dog whose name can be picked.
(2) good Hidden Object Scenes - clear and colorful.
(3) Hints are provided and can be replenished if used - quickly.
(4) Little gold coins show up in unexpected places and can be added to the money account.
(5) Thermometers sometimes are present and tell one if one is icy cold or burning hot.

If you want HOGS, if you want interaction with the characters (NOTE: a few of the customers become very obnoxious if you click on them), and if you want to get away from the dark side of HOGS (of which I am a big fan), this game is great. It's playing in the real sense of the word - having fun.

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on May 18, 12 5:26 AM
Jurinne wrote:(5) what does that camera do?

The camera blinds out your entire screen, except for the 5 items you need to find (unless you have 4 or less customers left, or if one customer has just checked out). Finding all 5 items (no less) within seconds of each other will give you not only a speed bonus of $25 per item but also a final $50 camera bonus.

bfgRhone

[Post New]by caltrek on May 18, 12 11:45 AM
I bought this game and i really enjoy it, but i guess i thought there would be something more since it is the sequel to gardenscapes. and i agree, the colors seem a bit odd. way too much red!!!!!!!!!!! anyway, it will not stop me from playing!!!

Sherry__Rose
Minnow
Minnow
233 Posts

[Post New]by Sherry__Rose on May 24, 12 4:10 PM
What do you think of Austin? What peculiarities have you observed? What would you like him to do or not do?

To answer first, I WANT him! I don't think he's the speediest or most thorough housecleaner (I never see him iworking n any room other than the living room), but he's usually cheery and plays piano really well. (BTW if you buy him a piano, he'll play different tunes, Also, if you buy lighting, you can turn it off and on by clicking on it.) I'm glad he lets the little bird fly free, but I wish he and the dog would go out to the garden more often. Any thoughts?

[Post New]by disgruntled_girl on May 25, 12 8:44 PM
Austin did some peculiar. I launched the game tonight and he walked across the room, stopped, looked up at me and said,

"I've been meaning to ask you, Sylvia. Do you always play at night?"

(o_0)

Anyone else?

HiLupe
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by HiLupe on May 30, 12 5:09 PM
I loved Gardenscapes and was very excited when I saw Mansion Makeover. I enjoyed it just as much as the first one, although I did notice a few weird things. One that sticks in my mind is when Austin opens the umbrella and walks around inside the house. Isn't opening an umbrella indoors bad luck? Also, I remember thinking a few times that he was being a bit pushy and demanding for someone who was supposed to be working for ME. LOL Anyway, I absolutely loved this game and found it to be very relaxing. I hope there is another one like it soon.

Kassy9
Seahorse
Seahorse
32 Posts

[Post New]by Kassy9 on Jul 17, 12 10:53 AM
I liked this game but had two rooms that never opened. Is this normal? Yes, Austin asked me if I played at night too....kind of spooky.

[Post New]by traci65 on Jul 22, 12 12:37 PM
Actually have a question about the original Gardenscapes...how do I know I'm finished? I've placed all the accessories in the garden...do the reporters ever actually show up?

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Jul 26, 12 11:06 AM
Hi traci65 and Welcome to the Forums!

I looked through the Gardenscapes Forum and found some info about how that game ends:
bfgBaikal wrote:I did a little research into this and as I understand it; the game is 'over' once you win the contest.

However it appears that it does allow you to continue in a 'sandbox mode' that allows you to continue making adjustments if you wish!

autumn_leaf wrote:I finished the game.....at first it didn't do anything and i went into to play another round. When I backed out Austin was waving a paper at me and when he opened it I read that I had won the Best Garden contest. All of a sudden fireworks go off in my garden and Austin tell's me congratulations.......
The end. (you can continue with your garden.....but that is the ending I recieved)

If you'd like, you can click the blue text above to head over to that specific Forum and post a new thread there for some more specific info about the reporters, etc.

Hope that helps!

bfgMonongahela

Edited on 07/26/2012 at 11:07:10 AM PST

[Post New]by MissDoBeDo on Aug 31, 12 7:52 AM
Loved this game and hope you have another sequel to it!

[Post New]by gullgirl on Sep 9, 12 4:31 PM
This is a fun little time killer. Cant figure out how to open the green room. I've totally redecorated three times and have 500,000 in the bank but it doesn't open the last room or 'finish'. Any hints someone? thanks

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

[Post New]by auds7466 on Sep 22, 12 4:24 AM
very colourful. hidden object games were challenging at times. loved the mini games and the screensaver. well done big fish

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 4:29:20 AM PST

Go to: