shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

Re:Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain Collector's Edition

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on May 3, 12 7:55 AM
I really, really enjoyed this game. It may not be quite as challenging as the first Secrets of the Dark game but it is every bit as fun and if you don't use hints, skips or SG, it is quite lengthy as well. Great job on the mini games. They are really fun without being impossibly difficult and are some clever twists on mini games we have seen before. Very creative. I didn't find the game boring at all, I found it quite engaging and, noting a previous post, there is ONE venus fly trap that you deal with ONE time. The interactions in the HOS are fun!, graphics and sound effects good and I had a grand time. I can't comment on the bonus play, haven't played that part yet. IHOG lovers should definitely at least give this one a demo, it's a fun play! Thank you devs... I wouldn't mind seeing a third game in the series.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on May 3, 12 8:12 AM
This one will be a buy for me - I loved, loved, the first one & having played some of the demo for this one it sure seems this one will be great too! The graphics really have improved & that seems icing on today's cake !

With the changing from past to present via lighting this & the first in the series sure gave us an interesting twist that IMO puts them in the "not the same old, same old" category by default and at least in the first game sure made me use my thinking cap - you need to not only remember items and tasks, but which lighting do you use for which item? I'll also echo those who enjoy the various types of H0 scenes & tasks within them.

I also really enjoyed the storyline of the first game & this one looks to be just as compelling! Also - so far the game runs smoothly - that's always a good thing!

Happy gaming!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 3, 12 8:15 AM
I have the forst Secrets of the Dark and really liked it, and was expecting the same with this one. Nice clear graphics, nice music. Movement a bit choppy and slow in a few areas, but otherwise nice. SG is clear and easy to follow, although I prefer the standard page set up (my personal preference). Would be nice to see exactly how many chapters are in the story before purchasing. Hint system nice. Didn't care for the "clicking" noise that was made when you found a HOG item, but HOGs not messy and not difficult to find (had to really look for a few items).

I like the changing rooms with the light switch. Gives you something different to do and makes it more challenging. Not extremely challenging, but kept my interest.

Yes, the storyline is the same, but how many different things can you do before you run out of new ideas (that's why I rated it a "good" storyline). And, as I always say, I play the game, not the story.

Edited: Hey, I just noticed that I'm now a parrot fish!

I like this game and will purchase this month. For now, I will put it in the puddle and give my checking account a rest. Thanks for the reviews.

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 8:16:29 AM PST

Rachieroos
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,039 Posts

[Post New]by Rachieroos on May 3, 12 8:25 AM
I really didn't like the first Secrets of the Dark game, even after demoing both the CE and SE. So I wasn't holding out much hope for this one.

BUT I really enjoyed the demo! I can't put my finger on what was different, think I just preferred the Oriental-based location and graphics more than the Mexican style ones maybe. OK, the storyline isn't 100 (or even 50%) original, but what is nowadays? I have played plenty of games with the venus flytrap obstacle, true, but I have also played several with other similar obstacles (spiders and insecticide, oil and hinges spring to mind) and whilst it's nothing new, I quite like the familiarity and it helps guide me as I can work out for myself what to do next. My tiny mind likes a bit of repetition.

One of the things that irked me about the first game was the one thing that DOES differentiate this game from others - the changing light effects. However, I feel it was utilised better in this game, and didn't annoy me. Good graphics, non-intrusive music and the twist of the alternate room views depending on the lighting made this quite a nice play for an hour (I finished with 2 mins left on the clock). I wasn't bowled over enough to purchase as a CE, but (unlike the first) I will get this one when it is released as an SE in a few weeks.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 3, 12 8:35 AM
dancemom1 wrote:I have the forst Secrets of the Dark and really liked it, and was expecting the same with this one. Nice clear graphics, nice music. Movement a bit choppy and slow in a few areas, but otherwise nice. SG is clear and easy to follow, although I prefer the standard page set up (my personal preference). Would be nice to see exactly how many chapters are in the story before purchasing. Hint system nice. Didn't care for the "clicking" noise that was made when you found a HOG item, but HOGs not messy and not difficult to find (had to really look for a few items).

Edited: Hey, I just noticed that I'm now a parrot fish!

I like this game and will purchase this month. For now, I will put it in the puddle and give my checking account a rest. Thanks for the reviews.

Hi dancemom1...

Congratulations on having morphed into a

And to answer your question: Rebeca_Lily, who was the first to add a review, tells us exactly how many chapter there are in this game.

Rebeca_Lily wrote: I liked the first game, "Temple of Night", played the Beta of this one and liked it too. Bought of course...

This time your adventure is in Thailand, and you collect a lot of native objects. Like the first one, you move between "worlds" (old and new), and solve many of the "Reversed HOGs" - put objects in their logical place, including interactions. The Adventure mode is larger than the HOG scenes.

There is some help out of the HOS, showing you which object you need to advance. Enough to give you a direction.

Length:

Main game: 7 chapters - 45 pages on the SG.
Bonus part: 46 to 65 pages - 20 pages! Quite long.

Thanks developers, thanks BF!

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on May 3, 12 8:35 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:I really, really enjoyed this game. It may not be quite as challenging as the first Secrets of the Dark game but it is every bit as fun and if you don't use hints, skips or SG, it is quite lengthy as well. Great job on the mini games. They are really fun without being impossibly difficult and are some clever twists on mini games we have seen before. Very creative. I didn't find the game boring at all, I found it quite engaging and, noting a previous post, there is ONE venus fly trap that you deal with ONE time. The interactions in the HOS are fun!, graphics and sound effects good and I had a grand time. I can't comment on the bonus play, haven't played that part yet. IHOG lovers should definitely at least give this one a demo, it's a fun play! Thank you devs... I wouldn't mind seeing a third game in the series.

Shadow, are you almost done with this game already???. You and I are in the same time zone, you must have been up all night !!?? LOL.

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on May 3, 12 9:05 AM
Valdy, the main game in the SG takes 45 pages, but I found 3 actions written in 1/4 page.

Thus, the length of the main game is quite long, because if the dev's would write more detailed SG, it would take about 55-60 pages.

Add to this the 20 pages of the bonus chapter. Quite generous length.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on May 3, 12 9:11 AM
Class act...this game is very well done, has some little 'tweeks' to the normal puzzles, it does not just have HO scenes, it has the put the item where it should go, a nice break from one HO after another in my opinion. The graphics are top notch, and the music is subtle, not over whelming. I haven't finished the game, but so far, this is one of the better games I have played for this genre in awhile. Thanks BF and pat yourselves on the back Dev's, you really did a wonderful job on this game.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on May 3, 12 9:32 AM
This game is an excellent piece of work. I loved the object-changing statues they have added since the prequel. I enjoyed the prequel, but this one is even better. Technically perfect. Beautifully designed. Wonderfully told. Great to look at. Fun puzzles. Lovely HOS and a story set in magical Thailand, that just makes it seem like a whole new tale, even though it's not really. So nice to see the room lighting aspect back again.

It took me 6 hrs, plus 2 more for the BC, which is just dev's imagination let lose and coming up trumps. If all of the above, and 8 hrs of play is not value for money, then nothing is.

Devs, I commend you, I think you are all brilliant, and all I can say further is, please don't take so long to make the next one. Treats like this are few and far between.

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 9:33:17 AM PST

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on May 3, 12 9:52 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I disagree with the detractors, lol. I like this game, and I don't care if I have seen some of this before as I enjoy these games. This one has lots of things to do, and they aren't the 'keep the silly hogger running around for trivial items to stretch out the game play" type things. The puzzles are all tweaked to make them a bit different. It fills my whole wide screen, and I love the thunder. I haven't had rain in ages here, so love it when it is in the games. I enjoy the way the scenes change, like in the first one, and I don't find the graphics too dark. I have played for almost three hours, and according to the guide, I am not even near the halfway point. I had to make myself quit, as I know that I would kick myself later on. I will enjoy picking this one up again this evening with rested eyes.

I read every night when I go to bed. I mostly read mysteries, thrillers, and scifi or fantasy. The themes are familiar and yet each offers something different. Same thing in games. I enjoy the themes, the plots, the hos, and the puzzles. Some devs do a better job than others, and it is obvious when they have put more thought into them. These devs take pride in their work, and rightly so, IMHO.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on May 3, 12 9:55 AM
It took me exactly 5 minutes and I knew I loved this game! People who say this is the same stuff are really missing a great game in my opinion. The animation and beautiful graphics especially well done the rooms that change with the lighting as well as the hidden objects. I it! Voices are done very well, I always love that part! The mini games are so much fun especially hard but I enjoyed was the dragon one. The Game devs made a beautiful journal and extra bonus was the zoom in the journal to be able to read things more clearly, haven't seen that before Thanks Devs I love the storyline very interesting and wondering what will happen next.

I know this will be a long fun game I will get more for my money.rooms are so detailed with graphics and things to do interactive. I love interactive adventure parts the best. I love the hints work outside of hidden object screens. I love the hidden object screens are not one after another more adventure thus far but hidden objects done very well and entertaining. The best part about this game is I refuse to buy a game where the main character has to turn into a demon to defeat it! No demon possession access to this gal not even in my imagination! No way! instead I rather hunt down and defeat demons! This is worth the CE price to me and the guide is awesome also. Congratulations Game Devs and BFG for another great CE game in my opinion. Oh in case anyone didn't get the message, I this game!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on May 3, 12 9:57 AM
In response Wolfen Raindancer Thank you!! I agree with you so much about comparing a good pc game to a good book. I read a lot of the same genres and that's because I like it and I love a good HOG/Adventure in the same way. Enjoying the game.

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 10:00:13 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 3, 12 11:27 AM
This game has good graphics and puzzles are fun too. The music is different and storyline good. The hints seem to reload fast and haven't run into any problems so far. There are so many great games to choose from so don't think I would buy it as a CE but wait until it's an SE. Give it 3 out of 5 stars.

Edited on 05/03/2012 at 11:28:29 AM PST

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on May 3, 12 12:23 PM
This is a good game with good graphic and gameplay, but not really special in my opinion. For me its a buy as the SE, but not as the CE

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on May 3, 12 12:42 PM
Love this game. Beautiful graphics that I can see....no using hints because objects and scenery are dark brown. I liked the music...it was relaxing. I won't go on and on about what other more experienced reviewers have to say, but those are two things that I rate games on. I don't know about the CE....someone said it is a long game and a long bonus chapter....I will buy the SE unless Big Fish tempts me with a two for one Collector's Edition Sale...hint hint Big Fish....

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on May 3, 12 7:48 PM
I agree wholeheartedly whith wolfendancer. I thoroughly enjoyed the demo. So now it is, do I buy the CE or wait for the SE. I rarely buy CE's, since most of the SEs can stand on their own now, and they usually have a walkthrough put out at the same time.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on May 3, 12 10:08 PM
I agree with all of the positive reviewers... I love this game. Artwork/graphics are great also nice and sharp. Hidden objects were not junk piles and very clear graphics. Great voices and the storyline held my interest.

Built in SG kept your place and was easy to access within the game. I have several of this devs games and it seems they are always improving their games with each one. I enjoyed some new mini games/puzzles and clever ideas added to this game.

Give this game try if you like the genre. Happy gaming

Just finished the game. The bonus chapter was one of the longest in a CE in a long long time. Of course I am a slow player and really look at all the graphics and get lost.

Edited on 05/04/2012 at 4:49:14 AM PST

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Re:Reviews for Secrets of the Dark: Eclipse Mountain Collector's Edition Great Game

[Post New]by kpajak on May 4, 12 3:42 AM
Great Game, graphics clear, not cloudy like so many out there, music ok, voices in keeping with the theme of the game. Not too easy, not too hard, a great game all over.

[Post New]by NancySusan on May 4, 12 7:08 AM
I betaed this and had some technical problems with the beta, particularly when changing from gloomy, dark and damaged to bright, undamaged more or less, rooms, but with the demo of the CE I had no problems with that aspect at all. The trial played well, and a lot of other people have commented on the particularly good points of the game, so I'll just say I really liked the mini-games and (sadly for me, since I rarely buy CE's) the SG was helpful in figuring out how to play some of them. I played the trial on casual because I remembered the problems I had with the beta freezing, but as it turned out, the middle setting would have been fine. The HOS (there are several -- I'm not sure why someone thought there weren't any), are fairly easy, but the hint button refills quickly in casual if you get stuck. The story is certainly been there and definitely done that, with 3 demons (yes, we could do with no demons), but I liked the locale (I'm sure it was totally made-up, but still fun), and when you were in some scenes, the graphics were pretty lush, which was quite nice. I liked the games where you were asked to place objects back into the space, somewhat challenging and fun, and I enjoyed trekking around and finding objects and also having to remember in which time zone the room needed to be to put an object. All in all, after some of the games I've played recently (and some of which I have to go back to), this was kind of a nice change, non-European, non-U.S., twists on some of the mini-games, and the light-changing rooms. I certainly recommend that people demo it before making a decision not to buy. I'm on the fence though re: CE or SE, have to see how that goes.

lisanti
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by lisanti on May 4, 12 11:30 AM
I have played the whole game and I really, really like it. I have the first one as an SE, and I enjoyed that as well, so I was really happy to see this.

I am a big fan of this developer's work, and this has the same great graphics as their other games. I found it well-balanced between HOS, puzzles, and adventure - no back-to-back HOS that I remember. A lot of the items you need you find along the way or by way of a puzzle.

Is it a breathtakingly new story line? No, not really, but it is slightly different in that it's not set in a falling-down English manor or the like (although I like those too), and there is some self-deprecating humor involved. I have to say that if I were the main character, I'd block Peter's calls from here on - he seems to attract serious trouble.

I have trouble judging the length of the game, as I was in and out of the game several times, but I thought that the Bonus material was a good length, was not vitally necessary to the story (that is, the SE should still make sense), and added some good adventuring.

Obviously, we all look for something different when searching for that perfect game; I have to say that this one got pretty close to perfect for me.

Go to: