qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

Re:Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster

[Post New]by qpr1 on May 14, 12 6:26 PM
i bought the se and for once i wish i had bought the ce. this is an excellent game, and judgung by the map the "bonus" content would have been worth the extra$

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on May 18, 12 3:55 PM
Loved the game very much..the length was great...glad i waited for the regular edition to come out...highly recommend the game...great continuation from the first one too!!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on May 20, 12 5:19 AM
I had a duh moment and posted my CE review on the SE main page. I don't like doing that as I like to remove my bonus review. At least there is morphs in the SE!

anyway my SE review - (ending was abrupt, felt rushed and a bit unfinished)

If you like your adventures on the easier side, a fair amount (but not too much) of hidden object scenes and not so much the puzzles then you should really enjoy this game.

The adventure side of this was great, you explore many and different types of environments and the graphics were quite crisp and clear with nice colour to enjoy the scenery. I thought I would be revisiting a lot of the scenes in the first game as it’s the same house but it’s all brand new, which was a pleasant surprise. The plot was really developed here and for the first time drew me into the story. I pleasantly enjoyed the first game in the series but I thought this overall, with the scenery, plot and adventure was better.

This time you visit a hallway in the house with large locked paintings, each representing a chapter and a completely different world location. When you were doing the normal interactions of HOPAs (hidden object puzzle adventure) it made such a different doing it with nice and different locations.

It was great to have no sparkles even on the hidden object scenes on the hardest setting of two and there was no random click penalty.

They had morphs which I truly appreciate for a SE.

There is a transporter map (instant jump to a different location) and it also tells you if there are things you can CURRENTLY do in a location. Sometimes games have this feature but you still can’t do something so it’s wonderful to see this.

continued

Edited on 08/10/2012 at 8:37:43 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on May 20, 12 5:22 AM
Sadly I have to come to the not so good part.

-I was very disappointed in the puzzles in the main game, I felt they were uninspired, not many and I yearned for more and better quality ones.

-The interactions of some gameplay relied too much on ‘find a drawing of ‘x’ then when you found ‘x’ you just had to press buttons in the same order. I find that boring and they really repeated that.

-Every hidden object scene they repeated (I don’t think more than twice. Some were junk pile, but I didn't find any tiny items and it was clear to see.)

-Hand holding on the advanced setting with black bar tips.

TIME – main game – 5hrs 20mins
(part of the time was staring at scenes trying to find all the morphs which of course I didn't get!)

I just found this game too easy for me, the lack of good puzzles and repeating of H O scenes made this a 4 star game instead of the 5 star that I want to give it.

edit - meant to say that if I hadn't submitted the wrong review (CE one instead of SE) I would have given the plot for the SE 3/5 as the bonus really fleshed out the plot, it told more of the backstory. The CE got a 5/5 for overall plot.

Edited on 08/10/2012 at 8:36:40 AM PST

mcguind
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by mcguind on May 20, 12 5:33 AM
Gingergal I agree with your excellent review. This was a very good game but just one flaw in my opinion Too many HO scenes. I know that some people love them but I did feel it slowed up the gameplay too much. Otherwise a very enjoyable game. I particularly liked the interactive map.

[Post New]by Dragonlady1964 on May 20, 12 3:39 PM
I loved the game....til the end. I didn't get all the morphing objects...so thinking I could at least go back and look at the main areas I clicked on 'start game'. Well guess what? Once you finish the game, regardless of your # of morphing objects, you are finished. To get back into the game you start from the beginning. You would think the map would at least show what door/path the morphing objects are still laying in so you could get them all before retrieving the skulls and moving onto the next area. Nope, not happening. Other than that issue, and perhaps a bit more mini games and less of the HOs, I thought the game rocked! Love it!! Very Happy with my purchase.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jun 30, 12 6:14 AM
I enjoyed this game as I did the first one, very much. I always find it amazing how this woman manages these adventures in a cocktail dress and pearls! LOL. That aside, this has all the great features to make it a fun game. I always play in the easy mode since I'm not into frustration. The HINT button recharges quickly and is actually useful since it does direct you from scene to scene instead of just telling you there isn't anything to do. The map is a jump-map so that is truly a blessing! Fun story and it actually has an ending. The journal is a useful tool also. Amazing graphics and clear. HOS are easy and I just love the ones that let me open drawers and bags, etc to find things.

There is several adventures in this game and I found it to be a long one definately worth the money. A lot of dialog, but you can skip it if you read faster or don't want to deal with it, but it is relevant to the story. A 5 for me. Hope to see more in this series....love the car in the beginning, wish I had one.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 30, 12 9:10 PM
this was agreat game. many options to choose from.--------doug & lisa

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Jul 8, 12 7:50 PM
Have only played an hour, but was so delighted I had to add my kudos on a great game. I disagree that there were too many HObj puzzles because they were not just one after another and there was plenty of other things to do. Also I liked them because there were many interactive things to do in them and they were not always obvious so that kept them more interesting. The drawing is spectacular and a pleasure to the eyes and even the scary stuff is beautiful nothing grotesque. The puzzles were interesting some a bit easy, but still fun and always gorgeous. Glad to pick it up on the stars and stripes sale.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Aug 11, 12 2:35 PM
Nice game. I liked this one. Very colorful and the graphic's were great. Lot's of HOS and puzzles. You'll enjoy this one.

[Post New]by master_lor on Aug 17, 12 8:57 AM
Pros. Pleasurable music, dazzling special effects, top notch graphics.
Cons. Easy HOS for me.
Still it is a 5 star game!!! Enjoy it!

GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Feb 15, 13 5:07 AM
GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

Absolutely Excellent Sequel

Developer: **** Games Five-BN
Release Date: May 2012
Extras: none

The first 1000 Doors was a gem, and this 2nd instalment surpasses it. Same structure for the game as before – a haunted house with an unlimited number of doors to other places. One of the best things about this game over its predecessor is the truly exotic locations for each adventure. Another is the introduction of an interactive jump map. I had no reason to use hint at all through the entire game because of this feature.

You can take it for granted that if I’ve rated a game with 5 stars, its graphics are gorgeous, there is appropriate ambient sound and pleasant music, and that the story is sustainable. The game mechanics are excellent, the HOs are good – no microscope needed, and the puzzles are up to a high standard, but not too too hard. I’m weak on puzzles .

Definitely a Must Have for any HOPA fan.

Edited on 02/22/2013 at 4:53:16 AM PST

joyzebra
Minnow
Minnow
234 Posts

Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster

[Post New]by joyzebra on May 21, 13 12:40 PM

Valdy wrote:Seeing that it's 1am PST, and no "Reviews" thread has yet been made, I thought I'd start one.

This review is based on the CE version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 8 chapters.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen (which, when clicked, shrank my screen).

There are 46 Beyond (morphing) items to be found.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are a little cluttered.

The HINT button refills within 30 seconds in Easy mode, and within 1 minute in Advance mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. SKIP button fills reasonably fast.

There is a Journal.

There is a MAP in the shape of a COMPASS.
The map shows you where you are, and where you need to do something.
The map can also be used to jump.

The graphics very well done, there are lots of places to visit, the scenery is beautiful, and gameplay is fun. What more can I say?

This quote is contrary to what you actually wrote about CE:
Re eviews for House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster
by Valdy on Apr 5, 12 1:40 AM

Yoiu wrote quote "The graphics are nice, but could have been a little bit clearer, more refined. But that's just how I felt about them.

--- --- ---

I won't bore you with how I felt about this game. I seem to have gone off most HOGs, and therefore my judgement is slightly tainted. However, I liked the game enough to buy the SE when it comes out. " unquote. Can you explain the change of opinion?

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 27, 13 2:51 AM
joyzebra wrote:
Valdy wrote:Seeing that it's 1am PST, and no "Reviews" thread has yet been made, I thought I'd start one.

This review is based on the CE version, which I played in Easy mode.

There are 8 chapters.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen (which, when clicked, shrank my screen).

There are 46 Beyond (morphing) items to be found.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are a little cluttered.

The HINT button refills within 30 seconds in Easy mode, and within 1 minute in Advance mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. SKIP button fills reasonably fast.

There is a Journal.

There is a MAP in the shape of a COMPASS.
The map shows you where you are, and where you need to do something.
The map can also be used to jump.

The graphics very well done, there are lots of places to visit, the scenery is beautiful, and gameplay is fun. What more can I say?

This quote is contrary to what you actually wrote about CE:
Re eviews for House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster
by Valdy on Apr 5, 12 1:40 AM

Yoiu wrote quote "The graphics are nice, but could have been a little bit clearer, more refined. But that's just how I felt about them.

--- --- ---

I won't bore you with how I felt about this game. I seem to have gone off most HOGs, and therefore my judgement is slightly tainted. However, I liked the game enough to buy the SE when it comes out. " unquote. Can you explain the change of opinion?

Perhaps you can explain why it has any relevance at all ---- one year later!! LOL

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on May 27, 13 4:26 AM
cbtx wrote:Perhaps you can explain why it has any relevance at all ---- one year later!! LOL

Yes, indeed. I am gobsmacked. Maybe someone had too much time on their hands?

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on May 27, 13 4:42 AM
Valdy wrote:
cbtx wrote:Perhaps you can explain why it has any relevance at all ---- one year later!! LOL

Yes, indeed. I am gobsmacked. Maybe someone had too much time on their hands?

Agreed ---- too much time for "policing" and "reviewing the reviews" (*sigh*)

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on May 28, 13 1:54 AM
REVIEW AFTER PLAYING TWICE:

I bought this game about a year ago and have just finished playing it for the second time. I think it's really a lot better than the first House of 1000 Doors in both the story and game play. There is a good balance between the number of puzzles and HOS. I love the beautiful graphics and well done voiceovers. The interactive map tells you where there is something to do and transports you to that location, and there are a lot of locations and some backtracking, so the map is really helpful. I think the game might be really cumbersome without it.

The only criticism I have is the abrupt ending as is usual in SEs, and the length. I think it's about one chapter, or location, too long. I had kind of forgotten what I was looking for, and especially why I needed to find it. So for those reasons, I'm only giving it four stars.

SavemeJack
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by SavemeJack on Sep 7, 13 1:17 PM
Thought I would write a quick review for the SE of this game since there is a sale on SE's and regular games this weekend, and the reviews for this SE leave much to be desired.

First, I see no reason to buy the CE as this game ends with all things wrapped up. Some may say the extra play in the CE is worth the price, and it is lengthy. IMHO, no CE is worth twice a much for one extra chapter of game play.

I have all the prior House of 1000 Doors games, and playing this last night was like sitting down with an old friend. The graphics are bright, yet this is no fairy tale. There are spiders and snakes, skulls and bones to find. The objects to find are relevant to the game period. I never had to use one hint for any IHOG throughout the entire game, and enjoyed immensely playing this game.

The puzzles are all doable, and never had to use the skip button - except once. Why is it a science major cannot figure out how to get 4 cups of wine from 2 jugs, one with 5 cups, the other with 3. That one I had to skip. The nice thing is when you skip a puzzle, they show you how it is done.

The story was intriguing, the places you had to visit during the 4 games that are all connected by one common thread were beautiful. I especially liked the ambient sounds that added to the feel of where you were. Music was pleasant throughout, although I always turn it down to a low level.

It took me a little more than 5 hours to play, not skipping a thing. It could have been longer for my tastes, but in the end, it didn't make all that much difference. I enjoyed every minute.

If you have never played any of the games in this series, I highly recommend all of them. With the sale on this weekend, I will be buying the latest one, in the SE version of course. There is just something about the way the story is constructed in all the versions of this series, the ability to enjoy playing an IHOS and not get discouraged, or a puzzle that does not make you feel stupid that makes these all winners. These are first-quality games, all with replayable value, and beautifully done in every aspect.

So get to downloading the trial and play away - I'm positive you will not be disappointed in any of them. Happy Sale Day!

Edited on 09/07/2013 at 1:45:02 PM PST

yowzasma
Clownfish
Clownfish
547 Posts

[Post New]by yowzasma on Nov 3, 13 3:57 PM
Just finished #2, House of 1000 Doors: The Palm of Zoroaster SE and again really enjoyed it ( I'm playing all 3 back to back)...I agree with the excellently written reviews about this game....

I so much enjoy the different atmospheres' and love looking for the morphs and knowing that they are just a challenge and nothing lost if I don't find them all !!!!!
Did not really expect to like them as much as I do ...

The graphics, scenery, music, jump map and hints were all just fine
I only have 1 complaint that I have never written into a review before, but there was too many sparkles in too many places...

It would be nice if the DEVS could put a hesitation on how soon the sparkles start when entering a new scene :/ That way it would give us slightly more experienced players a head start and the novice players a chance to look first -Just a suggestion

I'm giving this SE a & 3/4 out of 5 only because the too numerous instant sparkles.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Jul 15, 14 11:58 AM
I've just finished playing this game for the second time and enjoyed it even more this time around. I wish there were more "House of 1000 Doors" games. It has been too long since the last one. I love the graphics, puzzles, and even the HOs. This developer has produced some awful games (which I have had the misfortune to have played) but this series is top-rate and shows what they can do. I wish I had bought the CE just for the bonus game. It would be worth it to me.

Unfortunately I am still an ugly herring.

But the game? It is GREAT!!

Go to: