MaryLent
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

Re:Reviews for Spirits of Mystery: Song of the Phoenix

[Post New]by MaryLent on Jan 1, 13 6:11 PM
I saw that this was voted the best game of 2012. I cannot say that I disagree!!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jan 15, 13 4:18 AM
Plot is tied up in main game and bonus is just side story.
Review is on playing CE hardcore.

I'll put two disclaimers as I know a lot of people disagree with me and I know this affects my enjoyment factor - I don't really like the graphics but then I rarely do with ERS - it's just OK for me and storylines with fantastical plots aren't my favourite but the plot was done well if you like that sort of thing.

I know people have been raving about this game since the release but I was a bit disappointed in it, never had the fun factor for me and I have preferred other ERS games over this one but it is good.

PROS

There were some nice interactions and a bit different and it was a good enough length - about 5 hrs main game

Puzzles although a lot where the same types and wasn't enjoying a fair amount of them, they weren't all easy and there were some nice ones in there.

HOS they tried to do different kinds

CONS

-I do wish they would do transporter maps because in places there was a fair bit of backtracking which is always a bit tedious for me.

- I played hardcore, which is supposed to give you no black bar hints or sparkles and yet there are sparkles on the HOS.

- Random click penalty on HOS

- Have to play each HOS twice

- Some items on HOS especially in the list type were a bit small and hard to make out but I always find this with ERS, I don't like their HOS at all because of the kind of graphics

- A lot of puzzles were the same kind or variation of it -swap tiles around

- A lot of interactions and some puzzles were in small boxes on scenes

HOS
(hidden object scenes)

repeat all of them (play them twice), random click penalty on mode I played, some hard to make out

8 find hidden runes in scene with brooch you move area
10 silhouette then use the item you found - in the scene to uncover next one
6 list - mild to normal interactive

22 puzzles - easy to medium hardness

It's slightly different storyline and if love fantastical plots and the graphics and don't mind there is no transporter map then I think you will enjoy it. Good enough length and good amount of new locations.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on May 10, 13 6:14 PM
Beautifully done game. Long game play. Love the interactive hidden object scenes. Interesting story and challenging puzzles. I give this game a 8 out of 10.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 11, 13 2:49 AM
BASED ON PLAYING A SECOND TIME: You can read my review after I played the first time on Page 1.

This is a really excellent and long game. This time I played it over three days, and nothing has changed my opinion from the first time I played it, but I do have a note for the developers I'd like to add.

Why, oh, why must we wait for the puzzle skip button to fill? I've read this complaint by other HOPA players, and I completely agree. If I want to pass up any or all of the puzzles, that should be my choice without the annoyance of being forced to wait. The logic of it is beyond me.

The hints in this game are the "nothing to do here" variety, which makes for a lot of trekking back and forth if you can't remember where an object or action is needed, especially when there is no map of any kind. If there's no map help, it would be better to have an arrow pointing out the way to go.

Edited on 06/11/2013 at 2:54:39 AM PST

Go to: