Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Sherryah on May 13, 12 10:53 AM
Thank You BFG for the best deal I have ever saw you offer in a long time, a fantastic adventure game that is a mystery murder and ghost all in one and also I got it at a fantastic deal with half off on all games. Great Mothers Day gift! It took me 10 minutes of playing the demo to know I had to buy the game and it only took me that long because I couldn't pull myself away from the game to go and buy it faster.

I this game! The voices are done excellent, the story line already has me intrigued to find out the ending. The graphics are not the usual from the game company but it does not matter to me. I love all the interactivity thus far this means adventure game is a part of all the other usual. I never tire of the spooky murder ghost stories especially with voices so keep them coming and I for one will keep on buying them. I am a mother and on mothers day the game has us trying to rescue a little girl even if she is a ghost, it makes the game even more fun and interesting.

wvsandy
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by wvsandy on May 13, 12 11:56 AM
I'm on the fence about this one. I liked it and played the entire demo, but I don't think I like it enough to buy as a CE. I don't mind the storyline, in fact I love murder mysteries/ghost stories, so that was fine with me. I did find myself kind of missing the hidden object scenes, but not enough to make me say 'no' to the game.

All-in-all, I'll probably buy the game, but I think I'll wait until it comes out in the SE. Unless, that is, I find out that the extra play is worth a second credit.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on May 13, 12 12:08 PM
I love the game. I haven't played most of the scary games due to there being HOG scenes (sick of them, esp. junk piles) so the story isn't old hat for me.

I wonder if everyone sees these games differently due to different computers because often reviewers say a game is grainy or not clear and on my computer they show up clear and beautiful. I'm not a computer geek but maybe Java or shock or whatever helps view these games needs upgrading.

What I enjoyed the most about the game is the real people. It reminded me of the 13th skull and the movie Psycho. The acting and voices were well done.

The hint thingie refreshes fast and there are a lot of puzzles. For those of you who prefer HOS, and are hesitant to try this one... do try it. It's exactly like the HOG games without the junk pile hidden object scenes. But it isn't at all show moving and tedious like a full adventure game. This is refreshing.

With the sale, this is a steal.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on May 13, 12 1:05 PM

I like alot about this game which, to me, is kind of a tongue in cheek parady of the Twilight Zone - even has a Rod Serling sound-alike introducer.

I like the acters, as well. I thought they did a good job.

I like the graphics and the look of the game - I don't usually go for dark and gloomy that much but, the music is a cue not to take this too seriosly.

The gameplay was OK but unfortunately, didn't flow very logically so sometime I was led to doing things for no apparent reason.

Over all, with the great sale today, I will be buying this at half price. So, no lasting complaints.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 13, 12 1:45 PM
Happy Mother's Day to all.. I like this game and found it to be something different than the usual ERS game. Storyline is different and like the films you get to see along the way. Puzzles are not too easy or hard for me. It's just a great game to help me celebrate my day.. Thanks. BFG.. Give this a 4 out of 5 stars..

[Post New]by angelofmusic62 on May 13, 12 2:01 PM
On the positive side, this game gives a choice of 3 levels of difficulty. As others have said, there are no HO scenes. From the demo that I played, you knew exactly what you needed to find, and you found it in the next scene or 2. I have not played past the demo, but I was not drawn into the story enough to want to buy this one, even with all those sale credits I got yesterday. This game was supposed to be a new type of game that we were going to love, said ERS. I was looking forward to this one, and on Mother's Day too. Turns out, it fell short of its promise. I thought the graphics, which are usually an ERS strong point, were definitely lacking in this one. I did not care for the music, the live actors, or the story. Certainly not CE quality, and probably a no buy even as an SE or DD. Looks like all those game credits will wait for another day. Happy Mothers Day to all the moms here!

manitoban
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by manitoban on May 13, 12 2:02 PM
I played this game for about half an hour, loved it, and bought it. It does seem on the easy side, but the graphics are good, and I never get tired of playing ERS games. I really enjoyed the World Riddles games. Can we have some more of those please?

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 13, 12 3:13 PM
Well, even I have become spoiled by ERS, impressive and beautiful graphics, something hard to ignore when you play their games.

But this one, while interesting game and nicely done graphics was neither impressive or beautiful.

The first impression of the game as It opens was like a scene from twilight zone, like I said interesting but not impressive.

Yes I like the game play, the voices the use of real characters but Its going to be hard to get use to no having the old familiar beauty of what ERS has to offer because I know it can be much, much better and this particular game feels like second best to me.

I usually buy ERS games right away and play them as my first choice over others, but this time I will wait. . . .

Edited on 05/13/2012 at 3:57:16 PM PST

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on May 13, 12 5:06 PM
This one's not for me. I didn't miss the h-o scenes (I don't buy HOGs for the h-o scenes), but the game moved terribly slowly for me. While the storyline was intriguing, I found it moving way too slowly. And, again, the live actors thing annoyed me. They never match the look of the game, and the sound was way off when they spoke. They weren't well integrated into the game. Basically, every time a live actor came on, it was as good as saying, "This is real. Everything else is not." And I'll keep harping on that until someone hears. Please, game makers, just use art!

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on May 13, 12 9:11 PM
based on the demo, and not that much of it, i was more than suprised this is an ERS game. i have always been a big fan,and so was really disappointed in the graphics, the way everything jumped out at you while getting a closer look. quite startling. i don't get too excited about wide screen, background music or voice overs, but i was hoping for some saving grace in something. not a buy for me as a CE. by all means give it a whirl, it make be just what you're looking for.

[Post New]by farfromthefar on May 13, 12 9:49 PM
I was so disappointed when the demo ended. That is always a good sign for me. I am just not into buying ce's anymore but I will certainly get it when it is an se. I was pleased with the look and feel of the game and didn't need any hos. Thanks ERS it is a winner for me.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on May 14, 12 2:28 AM
I was way off target with the story line of this game. It did not go at all in the direction I thought it was going to. If it had I would be heaping praise on it. Instead it turned out to be just as I first thought after the demo - a variation on an old theme. Little or no adult content. On that score I was disappointed as I had high hopes for this story.

However, the lack of HOS was great. It made the game play so much more interesting. Having to find things lying around and from solving puzzles, put them together to make a usable item, that I really liked. Quite ingenious the places they put them and what you had to do to find them. A lot of fun for me.

Good SG. Skip button a little slow. The graphics were really good for the period, even though nothing eye catching or lavish. I still liked them. Good music and sound effects. Good use of actual actors. Very sinister in places, but I am not a believer in ghosts etc. so that never bothers me.

All in all, I think it was well done. I give credit to ERS for giving us something different. That's what everyone is always asking for. So, we got it. Still some are not happy. I guess we all have varying opinions on what constitutes a good game.

For me, it gets an 8/10.

Susanna2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Susanna2 on May 14, 12 4:51 AM
I am just in the middle of the Demo and quite like it so far. It seems to be an "easy" adventure (this from an andventure fan since the days if Myst... ) and though it's "justyetanother" ghost story I am very curious how the story will develop and I will buy it.

SPOILER:

BUT - the beginning LOOOL!!!
Who on earth will let a kid go into a creepy store in the middle of the night to buy some candies??? And which kid on earth will go singing and dancing into a creepy store in the middle of the night??? LOOOOL!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 14, 12 5:49 AM
WOW-----This is a GREAT game!!!!!!!!!!!! A MUST BUY for me.....----------doug

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 14, 12 5:54 AM

Edited on 06/05/2012 at 5:53:20 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on May 14, 12 7:14 AM
Yes it's different from other ERS productions, because it has real actors in it. That's a plus.

It's also different because it has No Hidden Object Scenes. Personal minus
It's differnt too because of the depressing, grainy graphics. Another personal minus
And the story, to me, is a minus all together. So many games these days show ghostly, abandoned places with all kinds of left-behind stuff, paintless, broken or torn to shreds that i experienced a strong feeling of rejection before the demo ended. Guess I've had it a bit with all of this.

So, in spite of the sale it's a NO BUY here. Sorry.

[Post New]by lefthandofgo on May 14, 12 10:49 AM
I've tried the demo and will probably not buy the game because I can't skip all of the cutscenes. They don't move the story forward, so I'd prefer not to have to sit through them.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on May 14, 12 1:04 PM
This is an adventure game even though it talks about hidden objects. It is an ERS game and that is enough for me. The graphics and story line are very good. It is a buy for me.

cav1976es
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by cav1976es on May 14, 12 1:33 PM
Sorry but I didn't really like this game. It's not for me.

[Post New]by ltlfoot on May 14, 12 1:36 PM

Edited on 06/05/2012 at 5:52:36 AM PST

Go to: