Re:Reviews for Inspector Magnusson: Murder on the Titanic

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 14, 12 1:45 PM
I bought and played this game a month ago. I actually enjoyed it. I thought the scenes were well done, enjoyed the dialogue, as well as the mystery. It was quite a long game for me, and it turned out to be one of the better games on this subject. yes, it has hos...I like hos, and I enjoy puzzles that don't make me tear my hair out trying to solve. Kudos to the devs for this one, as I really do think it is simply one good game. Sometimes I don't need all the bells and whistles to have fun. And I had a good time with this one.

linda43416
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by linda43416 on May 14, 12 2:22 PM
I do love hog games, but didn't like this one. Seemed like it was a fight to move objects or use them. Think others have said"pixel picky!" Too irritating to allow the game to be fun. Maybe I just don't have the right touch on my mouse to make the play a little easier! Just finished "return to Titanic", a little break from that theme might have made this game more appealing, don't know. To those who enjoy, happy gaming.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 14, 12 2:47 PM
Lot's of HOG's and puzzles. Some of the puzzles are of the old type but I rather like that. Lot's of reading and hints too. Graphics are ok too and can find the objects easy. A different take on the Titanic but guess this is the year for it. Don't think I will buy it, might get it at a DD price but too many good games out there right now.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on May 14, 12 4:32 PM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I bought and played this game a month ago. I actually enjoyed it. I thought the scenes were well done, enjoyed the dialogue, as well as the mystery. It was quite a long game for me, and it turned out to be one of the better games on this subject. yes, it has hos...I like hos, and I enjoy puzzles that don't make me tear my hair out trying to solve. Kudos to the devs for this one, as I really do think it is simply one good game. Sometimes I don't need all the bells and whistles to have fun. And I had a good time with this one.

Hi Wolfen, I'm enjoying the game just for the reasons you point out. Thanks for laying out my case for the game's positive points.
Unlike some previous reviews, I had no trouble moving the luggage (neatness counted) and ditto with the jigsaw in the first part of the demo. I had been a little concerned there might have been a glitch there based on what I had seen posted, but luckily it went together like any other, an old pic of a man with a woman whose face had been scratched out of the torn photo.
I did flashback to the original Hidden Expedition: Titanic which had those extremely difficult sepia-tone jigsaws at the end of each chapter. And to top it off, that game was timed and we only had whatever time was left after completing the HOS. Now those were some difficult jigsaws!
Anyway, I bought this game and I'm looking forward to completing it reasonably soon -- part of my turning over a new leaf and finishing one game before I buy the next.

Edited on 05/14/2012 at 4:56:23 PM PST

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 14, 12 5:08 PM
My, my, what an interesting approach to the sinking of the Titanic!! I just finished the game and agree with some of the good and bad reviews. First, there were many, many HOS, but they were easy to see and didn't take up alot of time. I really liked the different scenes they show in this game. The Turkish Baths for one!! I have every Titanic Game I could find, along with mucho movies and books (I'm a Titanic nut!!) and I haven't found one that shows the Turkish Baths. I was impressed. What I didn't like was the fact that once you were in a HOS, you couldn't get out until it was solved. The fact that you couldn't leave a scene until that also was finished was kind of good and bad. At least you couldn't get lost! The mini-games were O.K. - some very easy and some I just didn't get. ie: the coin games? Anyway, overall I thought it was a cool game, interesting, if not preposterous, storyline. Not the hardest game so those fishies that like a real challenge would NOT like this one!

feenix

schuldi
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by schuldi on May 14, 12 5:25 PM
Too much dialogue and I also found it on the easy side. Nothing new about it.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on May 15, 12 4:29 AM
When the hour demo suddenly ended I heard myself say ohhhhhhh in disappointment. So it solved what to do with my last pcc expiring this month, installed and ready to resume.

I haven't bought a Titanic game since Hidden Expedition Titanic. So, from that early timed HOG to here it felt new and fresh. No timer, colorful clear HOS, no hints needed for me, I'm no "beginner"so I ignore those judgements, I don't look for games to challenge particularly, but to be entertained. We weren't so picky back then, but the HE Titanic had no story, no mystery but some very nice historical data and trivia about the ship and passengers. Had to be fast to put together those jigsaws.

Okay, I like nice HO graphics with word lists. Check
I like some word mini puzzles. Check
I like jigsaws, and had no issues with the first one so far. Just find the white border pieces and find the shapes and curves of each piece that matches it's neighbor. For me it was a very clear old photo of a couple, her face was missing. Clue??
I like some interaction, moving items, no problem with luggage which came to me when they kept jumping back. Once the first one stayed put the rest was logic.
I like a story, especially a mystery as in Murder She Wrote, early Agatha Christie, Holmes. I like it presented with dialogue rather than long pages of text, you get the feel of the characters. Anyone who doesn't want to read, then they miss the story and clues or the flavor of how they talk.
I don't miss voiceovers, no need to complain about lip syncs since the original lips were probably drawn in the dev's local language, rather read it. No amateur actors. Check.

Kinda felt like going home, to the good old story driven HOGs, no wandering to make the game longer than need be when you just want to get on with the story, finish it the same day. Wow, what a concept.

Only difficulty I had was the opening dialogues comic book style, I'm not a speed reader and missed half of it. Once in the game you can control, continue at your own pace. I liked being the Inspector's assistant, sorry, had to let ole Skip do the pipe puzzle, timed demos frazzle me. Instruction wasn't clear to me. But I didn't get fired, got to perform a few more tasks, click here, try there, and not every pixel in the room to hit paydirt. Each scene so far self contained using inventory.

I'll get back to hopefully get to the end of one of my unfinished HOPA CEs tomorrow. Right now I am enjoying a good Casual game

Edited on 05/15/2012 at 6:13:37 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 15, 12 5:50 AM
this game is for HOS game lovers. play the game to see if you like it.........--------doug

Helex
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
5 Posts

[Post New]by Helex on May 16, 12 11:34 AM
I liked its HOG scenes and quick recharge of hint/skip but thought it was rather "clunky" as if it was trying to be more adventure based but failing badly. Pity, very nicely design, quite pleasing to look at but many missed opportunities.

I bought, wish i hadnt

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on May 20, 12 4:07 PM
another third rate, cookie cutter HOG told through word/thought balloons and featuring scrambled junk piles and been there-done that puzzles...

didn't find anything redeeming about this one in the 25 minutes i gave it... sorry, guys, but them's the brakes...

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Oct 27, 12 8:21 PM
I've decided that I will not purchase any game in which I have to put something (such as luggage) in a specific area and no other area will do - it has to be exactly in one place, too bad if I don't like it, put it t.h.e.r.e. No.

I also refuse to clean up oil spills. I quit, Inspector. We could have gone the long way around but you said that I would clean up the oil spill.You didn't even ask me - you didn't even tell me; you told someone else I would do it without even having the courtesy of asking me first. No, I won't. Clean it up yourself. And move your own luggage next time. Oh, Inspector? BTW, a murder on this ship will be the least of your worries pretty soon....

This game is just not for me. There are way too many HOS, a lot of time in chit-chat, and there is that moving the luggage thing. I only played part of the demo and I found it very boring.

like to know how to do the puzzle with the suitcase

[Post New]by newfie_girl on Nov 12, 12 1:44 PM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I bought and played this game a month ago. I actually enjoyed it. I thought the scenes were well done, enjoyed the dialogue, as well as the mystery. It was quite a long game for me, and it turned out to be one of the better games on this subject. yes, it has hos...I like hos, and I enjoy puzzles that don't make me tear my hair out trying to solve. Kudos to the devs for this one, as I really do think it is simply one good game. Sometimes I don't need all the bells and whistles to have fun. And I had a good time with this one.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Mar 8, 13 7:50 PM
I just finished this game and absolutely LOVED it! I'm terrible at the Adventure part of most HOPAs but this one didn't leave you wandering aimlessly. I loved the fact that it was a good old-fashioned murder mystery too. Wonderful easy HOPA and it's on the Titanic too! It looked as though there might be more Inspector Magnusson mysteries but I haven't found any. To bad. I'm sure I would have loved them.

[Post New]by Texmarc on Dec 19, 13 8:13 PM
I did purchase this game. BIG (no pun here) waste of money. I intend to ask for a credit-back to my account.

The picture-puzzles simply are terrible. The cursor does not act when trying to move a piece, the pieces do not seem to part of any coherent overall pic. MY WIN XP
has never had a problem with a BIG FISH game....period. Until this loser.

Did anyone QC/QA this game??????.

Recommendation: a solid non-buy.

Asking for my credit back,

'Steamed' in Texas.

Go to: