mspaws
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunting Mysteries: The Island of Lost Souls Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mspaws on May 20, 12 9:38 AM
I really enjoyed this game and bought it. But then, I like the more relaxed games where I don't have to remember alot of what I need to do, running from room to room...This is more like a beginners game (which I love) and lots of hidden objects! Thank you devs for thinking of us that are running and memory impaired and just like to relax and have a good time playing a game without stress! Keep up the good work!

Paws

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on May 20, 12 10:10 AM
After playing the demo, I'm on the fence with this one.

On the one hand:
* I liked the graphics. Yes, they may be a tad grainy for some and look a little dated, but they are good, nonetheless.
* The HidObj scenes were well-drawn and the objects weren't tiny or hard-to-find.
* The voice acting is really quite good, and our villian actually gave me a fright or two (which NEVER happens, in these games).
* The storyline is good, if not a tad repititious.
* The puzzles are easy to medium in challenge which, for a salty old HidObj dog like me, was both a let-down and a let-up.
* There was logic (as much as logic can go in these games) in the advancement that made the game more "believable" and enjoyable...
* There are 40 Lost Souls to find on the island. I like this extra achievement thrown into a game, like Morphing Objects. So, it keeps you constantly searching. On the flip side, they can be EXTREMELY difficult to see/find due to the dark nature of the game's scenes...

On the other hand:
* There are a lot of HidObj scenes. Probably 75%/25% when it comes to HidObj versus puzzles. A bit heavy handed in the scenes.
* My biggest pet peeve of HidObj games is that they are not "progressive" in the HidObj scenes. When you search a scene and find an item you have to use later in the game and you come back to that very scene to search for objects again, there's that original item again! It's just lazy programming and insulting to the game when you supposedly used up an item for some other task just to find it again back in its original place. I may or may not be alone in this quibble but it's irritating to me...
* While good in context, I wasn't wowed by the storyline. Maybe because it had that "been there, done that" feel.
* I was also annoyed by the fact that after crashing in the opening scene, I'm drowning in a major thunderstorm but must search not 1 but 2 HidObj scenes within the first 5 minues. I understand my mode of transportation to the island was in one of the scenes, but considering the 2nd scene required a crowbar that should've sunk to the ocean floor due to it's weight, getting a crowbar was just dumb.

In the end, this isn't a bad game, just not a wow, bam, zing! game. I think this would've been better served as a SE game, which I will likely buy when it gets to that point. On a scale of 1 to 5, I'd give this a 4, IF it were an SE. 3 outta 5 for the CE.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 20, 12 10:17 AM
Really disappointed at this game. Nothing about it really makes me want to buy it. Graphics aren't as clear and crisp and find it hard at times to find the object. Even though we have a hint that reloads fast. We have a plane that crashes and I really don't get the storyline at all. Sorry it will be a no buy for me..

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on May 20, 12 10:34 AM
I liked the demo of this game! Good graphics, interesting storytale, good art concept, nice music and sound exfs, the puzzles are not easy, but only because the system it is more schematic and locked to a determinate logic pattern, which it only takes more time to solve, but it's less fun! However the whole game is quite good, though the hog scenes are a bit too frequents, but at least are clear and fast to find!
I got the CE, will see what happens next, happy gaming to all savers!

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on May 20, 12 10:44 AM
mst3kr wrote:* My biggest pet peeve of HidObj games is that they are not "progressive" in the HidObj scenes. When you search a scene and find an item you have to use later in the game and you come back to that very scene to search for objects again, there's that original item again! It's just lazy programming and insulting to the game when you supposedly used up an item for some other task just to find it again back in its original place. I may or may not be alone in this quibble but it's irritating to me...

mst3kr, I just want to let you know that you are not alone in this complaint.

There has to be something really special about a game for me not to be terminally irritated about finding cleared objects right back where they were before I "cleaned".

Its like having teenagers in the house after cleaning day!

mrssharon
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by mrssharon on May 20, 12 12:31 PM
I agree with the majority here... not a great game. To say it is sluggish is a kindness. It wasn't intuitive and the story line is "been there, done that, bought the t-shirt". The puzzles, especially the one on the lighthouse door, didn't make sense. There was no "Ah ha!" moment. I just kept clicking and turning the color wheel until it unlocked the door.

I guess I'm tired of all the repetitiveness... how many stories recently have we had to feed a bird, dog, cat, squirrel, etc. to get something we need? And car wreaks, boat wreaks, plane wreaks... travel of any kind is getting dangerously boring.

The music, for those who actually don't mute it, is like taking a sleeping pill. Zzzzz

Please, somebody, create a game that won't put me to sleep.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on May 20, 12 12:54 PM
Oh my, I'm swimming against the tide again?

I thought this had fantastic graphics, sound, cutscenes, etc. (on my desktop w/widescreen).

It definitely is similar theme, yet very different story so far as I can see. I don't appreciate the psuedo pentagram at the grave site (yet that could have positive connotations in symbolization as well) and 'lost souls' scenerio (there are better ways to save souls and you may know what I'm talking about). Yet, the game, itself is very imaginatively done with super gameplay. I am truly amazed more people aren't raving about this in a GOOD way. I think it's REALLY, REALLY GREAT!

So, yeah, I think this game is very well done... am shocked at so many negative comments!

leyahn
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by leyahn on May 20, 12 6:32 PM
I played the demo in the harder mode.

Kept the music and sfx to the mid range - so voices were clear but music not overwhelmingly loud.

Thought the graphics were good - rainy and dark for the theme of the game - but nice art work

HOG scenes - there were a few - but I actually found them a little challenging - maybe because the artwork in these was not so crisp - but also because some of the items were cleverly hidden. And there is some interaction in the HOG scenes that kept them from being boring find and click. Finished the demo with 11 minutes to spare.

Puzzles were good. I actually skipped the power wire puzzles as I hate, hate, hate, slider puzzles - and was penalized by the game adding 15 minutes to my ultimate completion time. Which I was warned about in the beginning when I picked my mode of play.

Overall, I actually liked this one better than yesterday's pirate game. I must be one odd fish. I like the awards - instant gratification, yeah! and access to bonus features right from the beginning. I forgot to look for the ghosts so if I purchase I have something else to look forward to.

Since I am determined to wait until month end for my final purchase of the month (gotta' fill the punch card), this one goes on the short list.

Happy playing!!!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 21, 12 8:00 AM
this game is fairly , i may purchase witht coupon.--------doug

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 21, 12 6:32 PM
No a bad game, I actually finished the demo without even noticing as I got myself so much into the story.

The voice overs are ok, the graphics are not bad, interesting story plenty of HOscenes I may have used a hint or two during the demo.

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on May 22, 12 11:39 PM
I'm not going to waste anyone's time reiterating what's already been said. I did purchase the CE, and played it through-including the bonus game. I did enjoy the game-I'm playing on a 40+ in. screen-so i'ts hard to miss items in HO's unless the graphics are poorly rendered and/or there's a 'junk pile' involved. However, I did have alot of trouble finding the 'Lost Souls' even after ascertaining their location in the SG-very difficult to see.

The emotional tone and accents of the voice-overs were believable and quite good. All in all, I did enjoy the game.

Just a side-note to any/all dev's: It would be nice to be informed of morphing obj's and/or graphic extra's you can be looking for without having to play the tutorial through, accidentally finding an obj halfway through the game; or hoping someone mentions it in the forums. Knowing at the beginning of the game that there are additional features, etc adds to the richness of the gameplay, in my opinion. Otherwise, I feel cheated when I unintentionally and quite by accident find out about these sorts of things midway through the game.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on May 23, 12 11:30 AM
I played the demo for about 20 min and decided it was a game I wanted. I love the atmosphere, and its adventurous which is what I love. I enjoy looking for hidden items, the hidden objects are great as they are not to small or to dark to find. I think the Devs did a great job on making this very entertaining. this game is keeping my attention, that is the first requirement before I buy. So far I have not been disappointed, thanks for a great job.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 25, 12 12:30 PM
Very nice game. Graphics excellent, music excellent, voice overs excellent, game play excellent. The only mark down is the cursor (if I click on standard, I want the standard) and the story (nothing new). Found some of the faces hard to see, but otherwise, very nice game for a change.

Was disappointed when my time was up. Definite buy for me. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 25, 12 8:47 PM
I'm not finished with the main game yet, but took a break to make a few comments. First I agree with cbtx that it does start off slow and kinda boring, but hopefully picks up at some point. I like ghosts and the like, so I will never get sick of them and I feel sorry for Lillian and her fiance! I couldn't pass getting this game especially since BF has a 50% off sale for the holiday. YEAH!! BF!!! My only other comment at this point is, the graphics are not all that great, especially in the HOS - real annoying trying to find them. Well, I'm off to find another great bargain, will get back to this game later!!

feenix

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on May 29, 12 3:00 PM
I tried this game today and wasn't too sure about it. I purchased it based on positive reviews that it gets better as you go along. Not so much for me. The graphics are very grainy and flat. I haven't been able to finish a HOG without several hints. Even with hints I can't always see what I'm looking for. I should have paid attention when the developer's name included the word fuzzy. That's what this game is. I also wish more developers would include the maps that you can click on to see where there is something that needs to be done. I found one lost soul with random clicking looking for something else. I went to the strategy guide to see where the ones I missed were and can't see them even when it tells me where to look. I decided to not worry about them. They can stay lost if they're hiding that well.

avndh
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by avndh on Jun 1, 12 5:50 PM
Hi All, I very seldom do any reviews, mainly because we have such good reviewer's already! But I wanted to say how much I loved this game!

Yes, it is a bit old school, but I loved it! The puzzles are really fun and most are not of the usual sort! Also loved trying (and failing - without the guide) to find the "lost souls" thorough out the game.

There is one other thing that I didn't see mentioned by anyone - maybe I missed it?
But the award/achievement section is also a mystery - It doesn't tell you how to earn the other missing awards?? - so I will be playing this one again soon!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 1, 12 10:41 PM
O.K., finally finished the main game. I had an O.K. time - not my favorite game in the world, too many HOS for one thing. In fact, they seemed especially difficult for some reason. If someone was prepared to give me a million dollars to find some of those objects, I couldn't!! I noticed, like Sheerija, that the graphics changed from sort of rough and grainy to pretty darn sharp, then back again. I never did find the 40 lost souls. Poor things!! I'll go back another time to rescue them. I enjoyed the game enough to go back at some point soon and play the bonus game. That's all for now. It's late in PA., USA.

feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 1, 12 10:42 PM
O.K., finally finished the main game. I had an O.K. time - not my favorite game in the world, too many HOS for one thing. In fact, they seemed especially difficult for some reason. If someone was prepared to give me a million dollars to find some of those objects, I couldn't!! I noticed, like Sheerija, that the graphics changed from sort of rough and grainy to pretty darn sharp, then back again. I never did find the 40 lost souls. Poor things!! I'll go back another time to rescue them. I enjoyed the game enough to go back at some point soon and play the bonus game. That's all for now. It's late in PA., USA.

feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 1, 12 10:42 PM

feenix

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jun 6, 12 12:04 PM
Finally finished the game.

What I liked:
-sympathetic voice-overs

What I didn't like: pretty much all the rest I'm afraid. Thought the story was too long-winded, hidden objects scenes were too crowdy and a lot of the items were hard to see and last: really hated the colours. All that grey and brown. Man! So depressing in the long run.

Think I've really had it for the time being with depressing coloured games.

Edited on 06/06/2012 at 12:05:49 PM PST

Go to: