Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Whispered Stories: Sandman

[Post New]by Valdy on May 21, 12 1:11 PM
I just finished the game - took me a good 2 1/2 hours - and really enjoyed it. I had to laugh out loud when SPOILER ALERT I tried catching the cat that ran off with the hat on top of it. END OF SPOILER ALERT

The game had good graphics, not too many HOS, some nice puzzles, and was fun playing. Really enjoyed it.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 21, 12 1:12 PM
I had a hard time at first but once I got into the game and found out what I was supposed to be looking for, it was a lot of fun. It's a game that makes you use your smarts instead of the hint button so it was a good thing for me. Liked the storyline but only got as far as getting into the boat headed for the ship so don't know what awaits me there. I would give this game a 3 out of 5 stars or maybe even another.. It will be a buy for me.. and

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on May 21, 12 1:42 PM
Nice game, good change of pace. It's art (graphics) are enjoyable, music is fitting to the theme, interesting and inticing storyline. HO's can be a bit difficult for my tired eyes, but they aren't impossible without using the hint button! All in all, what a nice Monday treat. Thanks BF and Dev
* I just had to come back and add that this game is a riot! Fun, fun, fun.....
What a great Monday for us gamers, huh? Not only this GEM, but for those that haven't played Tiny bang,( that is the DD) that game is also one you don't want to miss out on! Was it ok I added that?

Edited on 05/21/2012 at 4:16:22 PM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on May 21, 12 2:20 PM
Hard to believe, but so true! This SE game is far superior to the pathetic ghostly CE we were served yesterday. Great job!!! This game is wonderful and has 3 levels of play, including insomniac, which I am LOL Graphics are excellent. The sound is good. Devs, why didn't you expand this to make it a CE. Puzzles are good as well. The dev (who I will not name because I will get in trouble for some reason I don't know) did an excellent job. My faith is reaffirmed in BF!!! A definite buy for me. But, really, BF, what is with all the oceanic adventures with pirates and islands lately? Do we have some wanna be pirates in the group? Or is someone going on a cruse??? Shiver me timbers, mate!!

Edited on 05/21/2012 at 2:27:16 PM PST

[Post New]by ladyluck278 on May 21, 12 2:59 PM
Over all a fun game but TOO SHORT. I mean really, what a waste of a credit. oh well. I at least expect a little more play and a little more challenge and no i didnt play on easy...maybe to use our brain a little more, guess ill stick to collectors editions at least have length in most of them..That said i did enjoy it fun for a shame but still too short and NO pirates.

Edited on 05/21/2012 at 3:01:29 PM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on May 21, 12 4:00 PM
About half way through this I was very ready to buy. It had everything I like and I even found the mini games more fun than usual. The one thing I really didn't care for was the size of the custom cursor! Wow

Now I am glad I waited till I got home from work and checked the forums. Since there was no walk through with this I checked to see what others had to say about length. That's why I tend to never buy without a WT.

I really was looking for a good SE to

divaprods
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

Too Short

[Post New]by divaprods on May 21, 12 4:36 PM
I really liked this game and I hope to see more from these Dev's but it was waaaaay too short....I never finish a game in one sitting but this only took a couple of hours, not fair.

AeronAoife
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by AeronAoife on May 21, 12 5:29 PM
Not sure about this game, it just didn't grab me so probably won't be buying it unless I decide to get it when it's a daily deal.

I didn't like how the characters responded to questions I apparently asked but never heard or actually asked. I got stuck at the mouse thing because I couldn't find what I needed for the safety glass and despite wandering around and trying to find what I needed, got nowhere fast.

I also couldn't get past the thought that the game is from the viewpoint of a young boy yet the tasks are for things you probably wouldn't expect a child that age to be able to think through or accomplish. Yes, some kids might be able to but I wouldn't allow a child to handle acid either no matter how smart they are.

The graphics were well done but most look as if they came directly out of a 3D modeling program, so a little too "3D" for me. The text for the menus and dialog was pixelated as well.

The story is a nice change from the usual fare lately but still has ghostly figures that try to help in some way. Game is a maybe for me in the future but only if I've nothing else to get.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on May 21, 12 5:47 PM
As a pond - we crack me up! Because I too looked at the screen shots and thought...hrm looks like an awfully lot of junkpile H0s and maybe nothing else! Mind there are great games which are mostly junkpile H0s - but with the title and description of this game - I wanted it to be more - and it is so far!

Of course I also looked at the pic and thought "Goody! Another creepy game!" - it's not - but I'm getting over it .

Seems like folks are dissapointed with the length - I'll buy anyway 1. some times it's great to get a short game - you get the satisfaction of "winning" in just one evening! 2. it will probably take me longer because as I'm discovering you can click on lots & lots of stuff & get text info (items which don't change the cursor) - kittys purring, commentary on birds & signs and all kinds of things. I like details of that type in a game!

As is often the case the cursor was uber floaty on the main menu - but is working fine within the game itself - I'm glad because I also like the custom cursor - yes it it ginormous - but it's cute the way the sole flaps on the boot! Just another of the many details in this game to enjoy! I'll echo those who note the devs really seem to have put their back into this charmer!

Happy Monday & Happy Gaming to all!

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on May 21, 12 7:35 PM
that was really worth the buy..yes, it's short, but long enough for me to play in most the day. It would have been nice to have had a short epilogue, but perhaps next time..hint hint developers..it really was too short.
on the positve side, and there are a lot of positives..it was different! Great graphics, different type of graphics, extremely clear..good on the eyes.
The story was a mix of missing person/save them, but somehow it pulled me along. I think the voices were well done and the narrator ( who is that voice, so familiar) really pulled the story together.
The graphics are so good that you just want more and more. So, it the shortness kinda bites.
Good music, just wander around and scratch your head a lot...now, just what would help me put out the flame..hmmm, how to put the bear together, hmmm. It's just fun.
good job developers, awaiting the next one but please, lengthen it a bit.
kris

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on May 21, 12 9:04 PM
I concur with Valdy's review. Nice game. I would add that a walkthrough and/or an accurate hint system would've helped me tremendously. Also, the game seemed to be extremely short-would've liked to have played a bit more . Personally, I love HO scenes. Especially when they're uncluttered-which was the case in this game. The HO's were clean/neat. This game seemed to have less HO's than average, but was still very enjoyable-in my opinion.

schobey
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by schobey on May 21, 12 10:07 PM
Kudos and Devs. This game was quite different than most. I liked the change up with a couple of the games. (esp. the nursing back to health). Like a change up and challenge once in awhile.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on May 22, 12 2:26 AM
Mr Sandman, send me a dream

And they did. A little dream of a game. Wonderfully done in all aspects and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. It's imaginative and funny and so pretty.

The problem, however, is with the word "little". Devs, what gives with the length? 3 hrs is no fair. Some people even did it in 2 1/2 hrs and that is really unfair. If you read this forum you will see many people who will not buy because of this. You are hurting your reputation. All you had to do was another 60 mins and your sales would have increased.

All the talent and ingenuity that went into making this, and you go and stint on length. That's cheating. Don't do it again or I'll be over there to spank you with my feather duster

Naughty devs.

allynann
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

[Post New]by allynann on May 22, 12 3:34 AM
I must say I really enjoyed playing the demo I do not know how many chapters ect.But it is a buy for me,...i

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on May 22, 12 6:55 AM
this is a GOOD game, a buy for us-----------lisa & doug

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by apples16951 on May 22, 12 1:59 PM
Just finished the game. I loved it! Not too scary, not too difficult, and a good value for an SE. I actually enjoy games with puzzles that frustrate me to the point that I have to exit and walk away for a while. I did that several times with this one, which means it was very absorbing and challenging.

Didn't care much for the cursor; in fact, it was a little annoying.

I thought the scene with the raccoon was charming and sweet, and the view from the jail cell window was hilarious!

I would have liked more voiceovers.

I had a hard time figuring out what to do next. This game does no handholding in "Insomniac" mode. Thank goodness for the helpful group in this forum!

Best of all, looks like a sequel is forthcoming...

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on May 22, 12 6:21 PM
Over all a fun game but TOO SHORT! I'am glad I used a free game credit for the purchase of this game. If I had paid for the game; I would be very upset and would have called customer service and demanded a refund.

Seascape6
Herring
Herring
341 Posts

[Post New]by Seascape6 on May 22, 12 6:51 PM
I like it! I used a coupon code, but if I hadn't had one, I would have used a game club credit. I believe I am about halfway to 2/3 done but that's a guess.

I love the kitties and the racoon is too precious! Wonderful graphics. And the game itself is just quite charming in my opinion.

I do have some voiceovers - the narrator when the game starts and at one point the little girl talks and I actually hear her speaking. I'm not sure whether the game was designed this way or if I'm not getting all the voiceovers. ???

I like the music and hear birds chirping and the sound of lapping ocean waves, but it would also be nice to hear kitties meowing and bees buzzing - when appropriate to the area of the game being played of course.

I'm enjoying the game regardless! It's sweet, charming, fun and challenging at times (I'm playing in Dreamer mode.)

singin
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by singin on May 23, 12 8:54 AM
I bought the game and enjoyed playing it although it took a while to get past the mouse treadmill piece. Smooth sailing from that point. Bright, colorful scenes and a break from the dark somber offerings of the past few weeks. Used a free game coupon so it was worth it.

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on May 24, 12 7:21 AM
I bought the game. i enjoyed playing it, however, I thought it was too short.

Go to: