Re:Reviews for Jewel Quest Mysteries: The Oracle of Ur

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on May 22, 12 11:51 AM
I liked the orginal Jewel Quest but don't care for the HOG/ Match 3 games. As another fish said you only get the 4 hints and some of the objects are so hard to see. I don't see any change in the story either so it won't be a buy for me.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on May 22, 12 2:32 PM
I am familiar with the series. In fact, I believe that I purchased the original JQ twice! When I lost a computer long ago, one of the first things I did was purchase JQ again for the new computer. I often wish I had it on my phone but hesitate to buy it yet again (I did have a JQ game on my last phone). One of my favorite all-time games is JQ Solitaire. Sadly this game will not be joining the others in my Games folder or memory.

olgamc
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by olgamc on May 22, 12 3:43 PM
I used a free code on this and as far as I'm concerned it was wastedI have all the JQ games and have played them over and over. I don't even uninstall them but this one is bad! Evidentlly whoever wrote it hadn't done their homework.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on May 22, 12 5:12 PM
I do like the JQM very much, most of them. I am totally stuck w/ the dinosaurs in the water pit. I was experiencing crashing and had to uninstall/reinstall but I still cannot get those pipes to work. Help!!!! I am at an impasse!

[Post New]by mprater306 on May 22, 12 6:47 PM
The dev's missed this one on all counts. It's not a good HOG, 3-match or adventure. It feels like the game is ancient . Really want something new.

Edited on 05/22/2012 at 6:48:12 PM PST

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

Embarrassing

[Post New]by faboomama on May 22, 12 10:56 PM
I loved Jewel Quest, but since moved on to HOG. I downloaded the demo because I was being frugal. I almost impulse bought it because it's two things Iike.

Ugh.

All the above naysayers are right; horrible tiny items in junky scenes, extremely bad UI and no one over the age of 3 needs a tutorial on basic M3.

I only got 30 min. into the demo before I decided it had to go. Once the new character was swapped in and I had to redo the same things, it was just ridiculous. I had high hopes, but they were dashed, squashed, spat on and throttled.

Can I give negative stars? This one gets a -3.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on May 23, 12 9:21 AM
I only played 40 minutes of the demo.I have to agree with the players who said this game is boring. The dull grainy brown is hard on my eyes and the items are not sized properly all the time. I could pick up items easily once I found them. It was easier to just click around to find things.

Some people put a lot of time into making this game so I don't want to be too harsh. This game is on the level of a Samantha Swift game. I played all of those and they were enjoyable. Even though objects were hard to find the developers did not resort to using dull browns and grainly scenes to hide objects. The hidden object scenes are junk piley.

Now for the good things about the hidden object scenes. Looking for the coins and jewels to collect more hints and powerups for the match 3 games was okay. It was also all right to have to find the jewel board parts. The dialogue didn't bother me too much but I did think it was excessive. That's common in adventure hidden object games now.

It's good that a player is able to collect more hints. They need them in this game. I always look for the three coins and the jewels first because in this game, a player really needs them.

The match 3 part made the game unbuyable for me. I never buy timed Match 3 games because it takes me a little while to find matches. The 3 minutes I was given for the first board was not enough time for me. It took me two tries to finish it. I can see where I would need either a pile of powerups or many tries to finish the later match 3 games. I would probably never finish this game because of the timer.

For me it is a no buy. Because of the use of dull, grainy colors and a timer I rate this game out of 5.

polarglen
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by polarglen on May 23, 12 5:39 PM
I am sorry I spent money on this game. What a disappointment. I've purchased all the other Jewel Quests and like playing them. But this one wasn't worth the money and, though I did not complete, I have already deleted it from my Game Manager. What a waste!

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on May 23, 12 6:28 PM
Interesting premise, great cut scenes. However small hot spots on small items and timed match 3 was a deal breaker. I might have fought past the small hot spots, but for me, timer = no buy

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 23, 12 11:49 PM
Just finished playing the demo and this may be the first Jewel Quest game I don't buy. I agree with the reviewers that complained about the HOS. I also had a really hard time finding the tiny objects. I too, also look first for the coins and jewels, as they really are necessary to continue in these games. I never have a problem finishing the Match 3 part on the Jewel Board, so I can't complain about it being timed. I'm use to that, as I have been playing the Jewel Quest games since I first came across them - long ago. But I found, like others, a hard time picking certain items up, and the whole game just seemed awkward or something. The dialogue is too long and the inventory is a pain in the behind! I have a few coupons for free games to use, so I may still consider "buying" this just because I have all the rest, but I have to sleep on it! Its very late here in PA, USA!

feenix

camgold
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by camgold on May 24, 12 1:54 PM
I like the jewel quest games but this one seemed very short, I did have to skip a few of the puzzles where you had to rotate items, you could click on them forever and they wouldn't rotate. The jewel quest boards were not hard but still haven't figured out where the timer is, maybe I am just not looking cause I am trying to turn everything to gold (lol). I am now going through it a second time.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on May 24, 12 3:08 PM
Could have been a very nice game. Did not care for the timed match game at all (don't much care for those anyway). Graphics okay, HOGs cluttered and some items blend color too much to see, sound okay but a lot of talking, music okay. Not a buy for me either.

Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by GameStudent on May 24, 12 6:14 PM
I too have enjoyed previous Jewel Quest games and so I thought this one would be fun too. What a shame. The HO scenes are tedious - some things are too tiny and you have to be 100% accurate with the pointer to get them. When you are asked to double-click to turn things, it doesn't work properly. I've clicked some things a dozen times before they get clicked. Grrrr. And, I don't need instructions for the Match 3 games every single time. And, I don't need the little hint boxes popping up every five minutes. And, if I missed a gold coin, can I go back to have another look for it? Give me a break. This game is clunky, slow to load and full of glitches. Maybe a fix is on the way? Now I've got an Access Violation Error. Into the bin it goes - what a waste of money.

ruthb1146
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by ruthb1146 on May 24, 12 8:01 PM
DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME ON THIS GAME. I BOUGHT THE GAME AND AM SORRY THAT I DID.

[Post New]by weaverwoman on May 25, 12 4:38 PM
I am completely frustrated with this game and very sorry I spent good money on it. I like the HOS but the timed Match 3 is completely frustrating. I have played and replayed the same board now 15 times and cannot get all the jewels before time runs out. And there is no way to skip past it!!! This is ridiculous. Every game should have a way for players to skip something and go forward. Games are supposed to be fun, not a trial. I will never purchase another Jewel Quest game.

[Post New]by LauraMiller on May 26, 12 5:51 AM
I won't buy this one either. I have liked HOGs and liked Jewel Quest M3s (a lot!), but I don't think the two mix very well. When you're in the mood for one type of game, the other type becomes something tedious you have to get through. For me, the HOG/Adventure bits in this game are completely uninteresting, and the M3s are not that challenging, although perhaps they get better as you go along. Basically, I just want to play M3s that get progressively harder, with interesting added challenges like locks or buried jewels. I just want to play them one after the other. I don't care about the silly story or characters, but as long as I can quickly click through them, as in previous Jewel Quests, I don't mind them. However, the puzzles and HOGs here are just not up to the standards of real adventure games, and they are not optional. They become a chore.

Flashmom
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by Flashmom on May 26, 12 6:31 AM
I just finished the trial. I have some tricks that I learned on another Jewel Quest that may help.

The first thing I do is read over the objects to be found. Next, I go through looking for the jewels and lion heads. If I see objects along the way, or if there are sparkles, I'll click there to see if I need to deal with that *right then.* When I've found the obvious jewels, lions, and pieces to whatever...., I go on to the other objects and the jewels/lions that I haven't found.

As to the Match 3: (and I know everyone has their 'tricks' here): My general tactic is: I start at the bottom so as the jewels drop, more lines are covered. Then I run through the rest as I can. The only time I have problems against time is when there are *roadblocks* that have to be worked around.

Yes, I've had my share of losses, but that's all part of the game. That's why we're playing, isn't it? I'm very competitive so the more I can "beat" the computer the more satisfaction I get!!

FM

AmberKB
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by AmberKB on May 26, 12 5:44 PM
I downloaded on a whim. After picking up the three tiles for the electrical panel, I didn't understand what else to do. No hints, no nothing. So I tried the mini game...and immediately got stuck. I didn't understand what to do, or how to do it.

Absolute no-buy from me.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on May 27, 12 5:18 AM
I love this series of games, but this one did my head in! tech issues aside, the gameplay was slow, boring...find bits of pipes, bits of jewel boards, gems, coins, bits of nonsense in HO scenes. All this was kind of tolerable, but the music made me want to mute it. Just same old short loop of horrible droning sound.
Shame, as they usually good games in this series.
Never did find out if the jewel boards were timed, or you could continue after the time ended.

[Post New]by iloveshelby on May 27, 12 5:04 PM
This is my first message ever. I always buy HOG. I also loved Jewel Quest, until now. I am stuck on the jewel board where a ball of dust blows in and makes the jewels rocks. I have played it over and over at least 30 times. I can't beat it before the time runs out. There is also no skip for this. I used a game credit for this and now I can't play it. I like a challenge as much as the next person, but this is making me very upset and very angry. Not why I play these games. I guess I just wanted to vent as a game has never made me mad before. I guess I will go play an old game like one of the Dark Parables. This stinks.

Go to: