ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

Re:Reviews for Final Cut: Death on the Silver Screen Collector's Edition

[Post New]by ladygem6 on May 24, 12 5:38 PM
I like the game! And I bought it. Yes, the hidden object scenes are a bit washed out in color, but they are still easy to find. The story is good and the puzzles are not too hard either. It's a busy game but enjoyable for me. Lots of things to find and the frequent back patting achievements award, cute but unnecessary. Still fun.

I'm off to play. Have a good Memorial Weekend everyone!

gem in OKC

leyahn
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by leyahn on May 24, 12 8:24 PM
Odd, like others, I did the beta test last night and was surprised to see the game released today - um, what would be the point of feedback? Hmmm, I may wait and see if they release updates based on the beta trails.

Most of my thoughts are from the notes I made last night when I played it in casual mode. I did play a bit tonight on the demo in the harder mode - the HOS had slightly different items to find which lends to re-play, but there were still dang sparkles to show you where they are.

Pros
- interesting story line - not pirates (aargh), ghosts or demons
- very nice graphics - a little washed and weary in the HOS, but overall very good
- interactive items in the HOS
- achievements for just about everything - hey, I like instant gratification
- extras to find - 10 of this, 20 of that, that add a little extra to the game
- good voice acting - the way it sounded - not the way it synced with the mouths
- lots of items in the extras - more in cons below

Cons
- voice acting - the mouth movements are just out of control - in no way even trying to sync with the actual words - I found this really off putting
- HOS is not progressive - items that you find once reappear when you return to the scene
- lightening in the HOS - I suppose it is meant to add to the ambiance of the game but the short, quick flashes of lightening distract from the scene and if you tend to play in a darkened room it is very bright
- Extras - all of them are locked - some I believe make sense - but not the wallpapers and music
- cursor was clunky and draggy in the first part at the fountain, but smoothed out nicely in any area besides this one.

I really like the game. I liked the story line, the graphics, the puzzles were wonderful - finally, something different. I think it will be a challenging game and worth the CE credits. But, yet, some of the cons tell me to wait just a bit before purchasing - it will be a CE purchase though.

Happy Gaming

trish999
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by trish999 on May 25, 12 12:41 AM
"WELL DONE" is what I say to the developers of this game. There is so much going on. Love the mini games, the achievements, the story line, etc, etc, etc.

I have been playing for 5 hours so far and still have a lot to do. Will have to continue this tomorrow. Can't wait to see how the story ends.

This game is absolutely fun!!!!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on May 25, 12 1:57 AM
Without a doubt, the BEST game offered in over a year. I became so intrigued by this game, it is now 2:00 am. I enjoyed EVERYTHING involved. The graphics, the story, the puzzles were the most unusual (even tho I found it somewhat difficult to read how to solve the puzzle). The colors are perfect, the interaction GREAT characters good, and the doors just kept going on and on. I felt like I was involved in a movie at times. I don't know who these folks are that made this game, but I hope they do more and more. 1 complaint, after finishing the game, the Bonus Game was not available to me. I don't know what I would have had to do to have it unlocked, but I guess I didn't do something right. I did use the directional arrows a few times to figure out where to go and I did skip a couple of the very difficult puzzles because the language explaining what to do, was just upside down for me to understand. I will play this game again and try to collect all those pesky cards, kitty, etc., to see if that will open the bonus game. THANKS BF for a great evening. My favorite are large file games (which have not been offered for years) but this kind of game is almost as challenging. - Patty

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on May 25, 12 3:36 AM
The demo went very fast, and this, usually, it's a good sign, meaning tha the game interested me a lot! I liked the theme and the minigames, very good graphics and sound efxs; problems: the screen, need to change the resulotion on dt monitor, also the ups and downs, the back and forth, so often it could be confusing, but the guide and the hints are quite good to take you where you need to go! Yet, I don't feel to give a rating to this game, based only on the trial, but I liked enough to get the CE, and see what's follows! Happy week end (memorial)

Edited on 05/25/2012 at 3:38:13 AM PST

govols2
Shark
Shark
11,575 Posts

[Post New]by govols2 on May 25, 12 7:46 AM
I played for about 15 minutes and unfortunately it is a no buy for me.

The story line was interesting to me. Love achievements. The voice overs (that I heard) were good. The couple of HOG scenes I played were not to difficult. I really like this game....but...

All those flashing lights !! After 15 minutes I was and beginning to have a headache.

If flashing lights don't bother you I would recommend this game but if they do you will feel the effects within the first few minutes.

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on May 25, 12 9:16 AM
I played the demo and bought the game. It's quite good - I like the game play a lot so far and am glad I purchased. Devs - it's very distracting to have the journal, hint button, and inventory area, and cursor flash/glow/sparkle/etc. in my peripheral vision while I'm trying to play. I would have a much more enjoyable experience without these distractions.

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on May 25, 12 9:20 AM
This one very quickly became a "must-buy" for me. I adore the visual style--sucker for art deco here--and the gameplay is quick and interesting. I also love Achievements, so, kudos. They give you a little extra something to work for. I didn't use the hint system at all, which is always a good sign in the first hour of a game. The story is intriguing, I like the map, and the music is non-obtrusive (always high praise from me).

Two strikes against it: First, the journal is kind of confusing and unnecessarily complicated. Second, the mixture of live actors and drawn characters is bizarre. I couldn't watch the drawn characters when they were talking, they were so far out of sync, and I may have to turn the voices off because the voice acting isn't good. I generally dislike live actors anyway, but it would've been better if the game had stuck to them instead of going back and forth. I really can't figure out what the game creators were going for with them.

That's not enough of a quibble to keep me from buying the game, though. Just as soon as I can spare the money . . .

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on May 25, 12 1:17 PM
What a fantastic game. It has so much going for it. The developers deserve a standing ovation. The puzzles are unique; the graphics are works of art; the pirate theme has not been over-used; and the length seems to be far above average. I was so ready not to like this game and it has turned out to be one of the best games in many, many, many months.

iamshiva
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by iamshiva on May 25, 12 2:24 PM
RenaissanceMom wrote:@ guylee1 - me too, and I got around to beta'ing it last night. Very weird to see it released today, especially since mine was glitchy and very slow-moving. Oh well, I guess my comments won't be necessary after all.

Maybe this will be a popular game here, but I disliked and was bored by the beta, and thought it not CE quality at all. I found it amateurish in its presentation and gameplay with over-simplified puzzles and dull, blurry artwork/graphics. Everything felt very samey and BTDT, despite its attempt at a somewhat original storyline. I felt this game was strictly SE, but the inclusion of items to collect suddenly raises it to CE status? To me, CE games must have a certain something, beyond the obvious additions of item-collecting or silly atta-boy achievements (i.e. "Wow! You solved three puzzles without any hints! "). This game didn't have that 'something' to me. But then I've played so many of these games I'm sure I've become much more demanding as a game player and consumer.
i had the same trouble plus black bars.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 25, 12 4:53 PM
Wow, just finished playing the main game (in easy mode) and almost (1) loved everything about it! First off, I absolutely loved the mansion. Art Deco isn't usually my favorite "theme" for decorating or architecture, Victorian usually is, but this was one gorgeous mansion. The graphics were beauuutiful. Kudos to the artist. I also enjoyed the story, most of the mini-games (although some were beyond me, I guess I'm not as smart as some of you Fishies out there!!) and as I said, the graphics. I did not like the HOS for the simple reason I found alot of the objects blended in to the background and were very hard to see. Also, due to interpretation (?) the objects were not called what I know them as, therefore impossible to find! The actors, as usual with live actors in games, were pretty bad and overacted and the lips and words didn't match AT ALL! Haven't played the bonus game yet, but it seems like it will be interesting. All in all, weighing the pros and cons, I did enjoy this game quite a lot.

feenix

[Post New]by feenix2011 on May 25, 12 4:57 PM
Just to add on real quick, I started out really good at finding the photographs and playing cards, then somehow they just seemed to disappear and I couldn't find anymore. Where'd they go?!

feenix

unicorn68
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by unicorn68 on May 26, 12 3:59 AM
There are great ideas in it & I love that!
But its again a dark game , thats why I wont buy it. Wether the CE nor the other one when its out.

banshee10
Clownfish
Clownfish
564 Posts

[Post New]by banshee10 on May 26, 12 4:39 AM
I'm on the fence.
Does anyone know the feeling that you THINK you should like a game but you really don't get enthusiastic the way you've expected to?

There was a screenshot that grabbed me on sight - the abandoned studios with the old, gangster-movie-like car in front.... The extras look wonderful (I really appreciate having the opportunity to replay mini games), there are lots of achievements (the largest amount since the Mystery Trackers series, I guess), the graphics are beautiful (I don't mind if they are dark and grainy if it fits the atmosphere and the plot).

Hmmmm.....

I really should be interested in the storyline - theoretically. I'm a movie maniac. And moreover, as has been mentioned, it's refreshing to have a story without pirates/ ghosts/ ghost pirates.

So why on earth am I not convinced? Is it the game or is it me?
Anyone out there with mixed emotions like mine, fishies?

rlk0045
Minnow
Minnow
262 Posts

[Post New]by rlk0045 on May 26, 12 6:06 AM
This is one of the best games I have played in the past year. It sure was a lot of fun.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on May 26, 12 6:34 AM
This is really a great game! It has everything what a game needs. Nice HOS and puzzles. Some of the puzzles I had to skip. But I try it later.

Very good job, devs. More games like this one.

Bexa
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Bexa on May 26, 12 9:08 AM
I love this game and it is gorgeous! I seldom post on review threads but I thought I'd cast my vote into the "Buy" column.

BigTfromAV
Guppy
Guppy
139 Posts

[Post New]by BigTfromAV on May 26, 12 5:45 PM
5 Stars on this one. Length is great - game is fun. Puzzles are challenging. It reminds me so much of the great Mystery Case Files games. Best game I've played in the last month.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on May 27, 12 6:56 AM
BigTfromAV wrote:5 Stars on this one. Length is great - game is fun. Puzzles are challenging. It reminds me so much of the great Mystery Case Files games. Best game I've played in the last month.

I agree! I wasn't sure at first, but this game is amazing! Enjoy!!

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on May 27, 12 8:08 AM
Just finished this game on the hardest mode & being a movie buff, I really enjoyed it!

Pros
* The storyline. It was different, unique, and fun. It wasn't devils, or phantom ghosts, or bloodthirsty evil scientists, or little psychic ghost girls coming through your TV.
* A LOT of locations to get to, and the realism with the Studio sets were quite well drawn.
* The HidObj scenes were well-drawn & objects weren't hard to find.
* The achievements. Personally, I can take or leave achievements, but they do force you to be extra-attentive to scenes.
* Puzzles were mostly medium in challenge. However, they weren't daunting or frustrating to solve.
* The length. I finished the main game & bonus in about 6 hours. I consider myself an expert at these games & 6 hours is solid time for a CE.
* A nice mix of HidObj scenes & puzzles with a tad more emphasis on the latter.
* Lots of extras, from the Soundtrack to Wallpapers to a Making-Of to the in-game videos.
* The music. Appropriate, not too obtrusive, & varied. There were different themes for each of the Studios too, which was a nice touch.

Pro/Con
* Sparkles highlighting HidObj scenes.

Cons
* The voice acting. While the voice actors were fine in and of themselves, it was the syncing up between the sound & the visuals of the characters talking that were VERY poorly done.
* Once again, another game where the HidObj scenes are NOT "progressive". You search one scene to find an object you need to use (& use up) later in the game only to find that same item in the same HidObj scene later. It's just lazy programming. It may not bother some but it irritates me to no end.
* There is a map but you cannot warp to a location. With a game like this, with SO many locations & a TON of backtracking to complete the game, warping is almost a necessity. Forcing your players to click, click, click til their index finger falls off, all to get to one room 50 clicks away to obtain a single item to be used in another room 50 clicks away, seems almost disrespectful.
* The graphics were a bit on the grainy side but I was filling up my 32" monitor. So that could've been the issue. Still, they probably could've been improved.

In the end, the Pros outweigh the Cons. It's a solid game & would be great for anyone looking for an alternative from the deluge of haunted asylums, abandoned islands, evil pirates, missing grandfathers/fathers/uncles, or experiments-gone-horribly-horribly-wrong games.

Edited on 05/27/2012 at 10:13:42 AM PST

Go to: