Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Heritage: Guardians of Hope Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Imberis on May 31, 12 4:11 PM
dashwood95 wrote:Me three daisy et al. I would even go so far as to say that the voiceovers (this actor in particular) drove me up a wall. I didn't care about 3 minutes in whether people saved the day or evil won out. 9 minutes (about 6 of that actually playing), and I deleted it. No buy for me at any price.

Me four. LoL. I won't write a full review since I didn't really play the whole demo yet.

The Professor's voice is over the top, and not in a good, campy way. The graphics are so-so. I did appreciate that they're trying something sort of new with the more movie-like cutscenes, and I did like those. The hidden object scenes were fine, and I like the interactive bits. Puzzles were alright, but nothing great yet. The story was just so-so, and I was a little taken aback when spoiler (highlight to read) I was just plopped onto the island after a cutscene right after the Professor said I would have to use the medallion to figure things out. I figured I'd at least get a cool puzzle out of that, but nope.

I think I'll wait for the SE of this one, especially since I don't really want any of the CE stuff, other than maybe the bonus play.

juliamadeane
Flounder
Flounder
2,137 Posts

[Post New]by juliamadeane on May 31, 12 6:51 PM

Edited on 06/13/2012 at 6:27:25 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on May 31, 12 10:21 PM
I did enjoy the game, but was disappointed that the bonus game was so short. I did expect it to be longer.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 1, 12 4:41 AM
No doubt this is a good game overall. Yesterday, after the demo, I wasn't much impressed. Tired of dark, gloomy abandoned, ruined, etc. I still feel that way, but cannot deny it is a very well made game. It just didn't have the X factor. Felt a little flat.

Great introduction. Then came the Island. Big lump of miserable rock, with nothing to please the eye. Probably why it felt flat, after the promising intro. It did have it's moments of colour, but too few. It played perfectly, something I always appreciate when so many do not. I thought the graphics were good and I understand why they were dark and gloomy, because of the story, but they were depressing. The town was better, gave me a little boost, but it's a tiny town, so that did not last long. Then back to gloomy. Nothing remarkable about the HOS or puzzles. Nothing really interesting to find, build or use. Keys, hammers, axes and so forth. It did have a very good hint button and I never had to refer to the SG, so that was wasted on me. Fast skip button too.

Then came the BC and that I really liked. Blue skies, sunshine, flowers, trees, everything that makes a cheerful sight. Only 3/4 hr long, but a good chapter.

The fact that I don't like dark and gloomy is not a fault of the game, it was designed that way, so I cannot actually take marks off for that, as that is just me.

I cannot give it marks, however, for imagination and originality. It just followed in the footsteps of so many other games, indistinguishable one from the other.

I will give it a 7/10 and say to the devs, next time, guys, give us something we haven't seen before, and make it colourful, at least to some extent. Colour does not have to detract from a story's intent to be scary and and ghostly. I have seen it done before and it works.

Oh, and, no talking creatures, please. That was cheesy.

Edited on 06/01/2012 at 4:45:51 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 1, 12 12:10 PM
I just finished the game, and must say that the bonus game was much more colourful than the main game.

What I didn't like was:

* Faces of actors far too close and in my face. My eyes went all funny seeing the faces so close to me.

* The Strategy Guide was far too close to the HINT/SKIP button. Several times I wanted to use the SKIP button and accidentially opened the Strategy Guide.

* Every time I zoomed in on an object I already zoomed in before, the diary started to shine red again, as if I had discovered something new. Very irritating.

* The Inventory was a real pain in the neck. It would have been better if it was locked down at the bottom or that I had to go really far down to open it. Instead I kept opening the Inventory whenever I wanted to go back to a previous place.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jun 1, 12 1:30 PM
i played the demo out, and just don't feel CErtain i want to spend 2 credits on this. i dunno if i would have spent 9.99 on it either. it's ok for me, but i found my attention wandering, usually a good sign that i'm not totally into it. i could do w/out the long intro and the attempt at creepy voiceovers. music was eventually annoying as were the gasping sounds during the game. would have much rather heard seagulls, foghorns, etc. it seemed to have a great many back & forth moves. dev's, when we wrinklies have to overuse the clicking, it causes pain, incorporate a map for jumping, please!
i think i will hold off for a while, may end up with the se, but no buy for me as of now.
try it, though, it seems like a lot of ppl like it!

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Jun 1, 12 11:02 PM
Finished and thoroughly enjoyed! In fact, I can't think of a single thing that I didn't like. The story line was interesting and I love the use of real people instead of cartoons. I mute the music in order to immerse myself in the game so I can't comment on that. Some of the puzzles weren't quite as easy as in other games, especially the eyeballs on the gate. I really like games with 'off the wall' themes, and this was one of those. In some ways, it was a sad game and I kept reminding myself that it was just a game. Graphics were beautiful and very well done. I'm glad that I bought the CE because it did help me through some rough spots, and the bonus game finishes it off. I don't use the wallpapers or music, but love those bonus games. I hope we will see a sequel, just as well done. It seemed like a long game, but I wasn't keeping track of time. There is a lot of 'to and thro-ing' which some gamers might not like, but it all made sense to me. It's a dark themed game, but not a dark game. Even the credits are clever. Hidden object scenes were not dark. Great job, Devs and BF

uschina
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by uschina on Jun 2, 12 2:14 AM

Edited on 06/13/2012 at 6:27:40 AM PST

[Post New]by luvscandles on Jun 2, 12 8:40 AM
Fun game, but over too quickly for a CE. Maybe should give it a go on the difficult level

HiLupe
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

[Post New]by HiLupe on Jun 2, 12 12:01 PM
I enjoyed this game and was really torn as to whether or not to purchase it at the special price. Ultimately I decided to wait for the SE to purchase. I've got over 200 games now since joining BFG last year and didn't feel that it offered me enough to justify the higher price. I know that a lot of people really LOVED it and, while it was enjoyable enough, I didn't enjoy it enough to purchase the CE.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jun 2, 12 4:44 PM
One more note on this game: now that I am playing the CE version, I forgot to point out (in my first review) that the sounds efxs and music are really beautiful, the sea, the rain, the doves and the relaxing (zen) music, but it looks like that,only me and cbtx player ( a barracuda) are really loving this game and appreciate the hard work and the theme of the adventure, (at least so far), and the strange thing is, that we both beta tested this game and think that it's awsome! This makes me sad! This game deserve 5 +

Edited on 06/02/2012 at 4:50:04 PM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jun 2, 12 9:38 PM
I'm in the middle of playing the game, and I am enjoying it. I'm playing it in the harder mode, and the only thing that has some glints in that are the hidden object scenes. This is going to be a long game for me, because I am not skipping any of the cut scenes or the puzzles.

I'm finding this to be a rather relaxing game, probably because the background music is setting the tone, not creating the drama. It's not the kind that's always building to a crescendo and seeming to foreshadow events.

There is a lot of running back and forth to different scenes in this game, so if that's not your thing, be forewarned. I think that there's a good mix of adventure, H0, and puzzle segments. I am actually looking forward to the H0 scenes because they are a respite from all the running around .

The Hint button works in the regular scenes and the H0 ones. If there's nothing to be done the hint shows an arrow leaving the particular scene. I haven't noticed any misclick penalty in the H0 scene, so I don't know if there is one.

I'd say the puzzles are of easy-to-medium difficulty, and there are plenty of them for those who like puzzles, with a nice mix of types; a couple of them were hard for me. I liked the look of the moving-eyes lock .Graphics are good and in keeping with the ruined island setting; I'm not having any problem with darkness/lightness of the scenes. H0 scenes have some interactivity and some of the objects are sneakily displayed; I'm enjoying them.

One of the male voice actors seems to be playing a couple roles, and his voice is just a tad Overly Dramatic for my taste. Cut scenes can be skipped; puzzles can also be skipped after a certain amount of time has elapsed.

I've actually used the strategy guide a couple of times, mainly because I was going back and forth to so many scenes that I forgot about a couple things that I had mentally noted to myself that I'd have to go back to later with the right tool.

I did like like that some items in the inventory were carried around for a while and used multiple times. I agree that a fixed inventory would have been less distracting than one that continually pops in and out.

I haven't gotten to the bonus game, so I have no idea how long it is going to be, but the main game itself is giving me value for the price.

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jun 11, 12 10:48 AM
Just finished the main game and I agree with most of the good reviews. One very annoying thing that I think Valdy brought up was where they placed the inventory and the arrow to go back to another scene. I kept doing the same thing she did, I would end up in my inventory instead of another scene or vice versa. The HO's were either gigantic or miniscule!!! I did like the credits at the end of the game, how they encorperated their likenesses ( I'm assuming!) along with their names. Very clever. As far as the game as a whole, I liked it, not loved it. Mini-games were challenging to easy and graphics were good to not so good. Music was creepy - I liked it. I will go back and finish the bonus game later. I have planting to do!!

feenix

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Jun 12, 12 5:09 AM
Enjoyed it!

About the voices: very good acting (I certainly remember the male voice from the Saqqarah game), but not enough variety with the sounds of the different characters, couldn't tell from their voices who was who.

I'm not good with the spinning rings puzzles, so I didn't like the fact that there was more than one of them. They could be skipped, though.

Very nice integration of filmed characters into story. High quality game.

Bonus chapter was not strictly necessary for main story, but did add a nice finish to all your hard work, and also solved a little mystery about one of the characters in the main story. Bonus chapter had same high quality graphics and game play as the rest of the game.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 14, 12 6:29 AM
this game is a buy for us.----------doug & lisa

[Post New]by SquareKitty on Jun 15, 12 9:03 PM
I don't usually buy CE's, but I demo'd this one, and HAD to buy it! What a great game! Is quite a long game, I found too, even without the Bonus Play, so that's even better

Nice clean graphics, not too many HOS and good puzzles.

Definately worth getting Fishy friends!

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Jun 24, 12 11:02 AM
What an awesome game! Very interactive scenes; engaging story; great graphics; one of the best! I'd urge players to get the CE. It's fairly short and ties up the story nicely. I played it in casual mode, but for a replay, I'll try the harder one. Thanks to the developers and BFG.

Edited on 06/24/2012 at 11:05:35 AM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jul 3, 12 1:57 PM
wow what a awesome game, I enjoyed every minute of this game graphics are so clear and beautiful and the music sounds good..Dev's you out did yourselves on this game I want to thank you for all your time and hard work on this beautiful game,,I was not disappointed at all..I finally finished.. looking for more games like this one DEV's Thx Big fish Kuddo's to you and the DEV's..

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on Jul 10, 12 11:19 AM
I enjoyed this game - I liked the cut scenes. I did think the end of the bonus chapter was a little wierd something about the son - but most enjoyable

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on Jul 11, 12 11:04 PM
Finished Dark Heritage:Guardians Of Hope CE.
I am so relieved it is finally over. I do not like real live actors in a game and don't understand why developers insist on doing it. In this game, when the actors are talking to you, they are literally "in your face" because all you see are these two enormous eyes which fill up the whole screen...yucky. I think if they want to include real actors they should try and do a better job. Just my opinion.
The graphics are not that nice in the game....I really should play the whole 1 hour trial before I decide whether to buy a game because I didn't in this one....my mistake. To me, beautiful graphics are very important and I can't say this game has it. In some instances the graphics are a little fuzzy. The bonus game is a little bit better, colour-wise, but short. I guess I am in the minority because quite a number of reviewers have praised the game highly. These new developers do not impress me at all.
Would I recommend this game: NO...but that is just my opinion.

Go to: