mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

Re:Rhiannon group play, starting 2nd June, all welcome to join!

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 2, 12 9:28 AM
Welcome Freka.......Happy you are joining us.

I really like the way an item is high-lighted if it is the correct item to use and the Notepad is very useful. I read the entire *** book of Pryderi Legends *** and thought it was very interesting.

It's very fortunate Granny_Fish that we have kazkaz here to help you.

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Jun 2, 12 9:57 AM
I'm joining in after abandoning AGON ; I have to say that after that one, I'm finding the navigation in Rhiannon absolutely a dream!

[Post New]by kazkaz1957 on Jun 2, 12 9:57 AM
Thanks to everyone for your welcoming messages and hello to all the new players. I'd no idea until today that you organised these group plays - such a great idea!

Mr_Russ is right in that Rhiannon uses a rather old fashioned navigation system compared to those that we've become familiar with in the popular HOPAs of the last couple of years. I hope it won't drive you all mad and you'll soak up the atmosphere and enjoy all the extra views that you wouldn't otherwise be aware of in those more recent games and hopefully it will give you more of a feeling of really being at Ty Pryderi. However, you'll be pleased to know that we will be updating our navigation in future Arberth Studios games in line with the more popular systems of today.

The main thing you need to know is that right and left turns will turn you on the spot so that you can face the direction that you wish to walk towards. If you keep clicking on the left or right arrows, you will turn on the spot in a complete circle. This is contrary to HOPAs where you use the back arrow to walk backwards to the previous scene. In Rhiannon, the only directional arrows that move you onwards are those which point directly ahead, or in a few cases, at the 10 o'clock or 2 o'clock position. I hope that helps a bit.

Granny_Fish - please feel free to PM me as I'd be very interested in your comments and in particular the pointers with regard to disabled players.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Jun 2, 12 10:24 AM
Has anyone been in Rhiannon's room and figured out the ** password to the computer yet? **

Nevermind I figured it out.

Edited on 06/02/2012 at 12:24:04 PM PST

Grandmamum
Clownfish
Clownfish
662 Posts

[Post New]by Grandmamum on Jun 2, 12 10:34 AM
Hi Everyone - Thank you so much Popla and CFG for getting this going again and welcome Freka - also a very special thank you to Karen for taking time to join us - that will make it even more interesting.

Have been out all day and will not be able to start until tomorrow, but will be with you then. Forecast is for rain, so need no excuse to abandon the veggies for a day or two!!!

See you tomorrow

GMum xxxx

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 2, 12 11:04 AM
Welcome to the group play Freka, hope you enjoy it as much as the rest of us do.
Also welcome to all new players, I have updated the players list.

I'm just heading in there now, but I do have a quick question. I have a 1920 x 1080 24" monitor, but unless I severely reduce my screen resolution I only get a little game screen in the middle with great black borders round it. Is there a way of making the game play bigger without changing my screen resolution? It's no biggie really as such, I don't mind changing it to play. Just wondered if there was a setting or something I could change.

Karen - Oh we love our group plays! We must have played a dozen or so by now! As you can tell we really do love our adventure games! Catfish_girl and myself have been lucky enough to joined by some wonderful gamers. We have a lot of fun and get to enjoy some great games together, which makes the experience all the richer too.

LOL Grandmamum, well the rain hasn't set in here just yet, but with a four day bank holiday weekend, it's bound to rain sooner or later for me! I'm so not green fingered, but there is nothing nicer than fresh veg straight from the garden.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 2, 12 11:35 AM
Is there a way of making the game play bigger without changing my screen resolution?
No. The game has a fixed 4:3 aspect ratio. Try 1280x960.
The game is too old for widescreen.

Note that 1280x1024 is 5:4 and the display will be slightly stretched.

Edited on 06/02/2012 at 11:42:26 AM PST

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 2, 12 11:43 AM
Re navigation....I don't know how other Fishies feel, but I liked the choice of 1st person or 3rd person as it was done in Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened. It was easy to get around, get to where you wanted to go, plus the ability to switch between the two. I preferred the 3rd person, but others might like the 1st person better.

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 2, 12 12:02 PM
Ahh ok thanks. I have been changing it down to 1024 x 768 as that is a screen resolution I used to use and figured it would work with it, which it does. Usually a fixed ratio game would show up square with black bars on either side, which is fine. This however, was like I have a 7 inch screen with a huge black frame! Anyway, no biggie, it's easy enough to change screen resolution!

Well I am currently haing a good snoop around, I love the fact that I recognise all the food labels! Makes it that bit more immersive.

Hope everyone is enjoying the game so far.

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 2, 12 12:08 PM
I haven't played any Sherlock Holmes games yet, though I have one or two waiting! I always used to prefer third person myself too, but these days I like both 3rd and 1st person perspective ...... as long as it's not 360 I'm happy. :lol: I like that with static screens I can move my mouse around the screen without the screen moving and making me

Edited on 06/02/2012 at 12:09:07 PM PST

birdie5
Clownfish
Clownfish
559 Posts

[Post New]by birdie5 on Jun 2, 12 12:44 PM
Hello - I am joining. Have been looking forward to playing this game! Thank you again Popla and Catfish_girl for organizing the group plays. Welcome Karen - nice to have a game developer join us.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Jun 2, 12 1:34 PM
In chapter 2 **translating the rubbings from the stone. Took awhile to figure it out now I got the hang of it.** Good place to end for the night.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Jun 2, 12 1:37 PM
Usually a fixed ratio game would show up square with black bars on either side, which is fine. This however, was like I have a 7 inch screen with a huge black frame!
This game has never seen wide-screen, doesn't recognise the resolution and has thrown up its hands in horror!

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 2, 12 1:57 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:
Usually a fixed ratio game would show up square with black bars on either side, which is fine. This however, was like I have a 7 inch screen with a huge black frame!
This game has never seen wide-screen, doesn't recognise the resolution and has thrown up its hands in horror!

Yes quite!

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Jun 2, 12 2:23 PM
Just popping in before I turn in, it has been a long day.
But i couldn't resist a small peek Was a bit disoriented at first but I am happy to have fed the cat, couldn't leave the poor thing hungry or else I end up with having to clean up more 'nasties'

@popla How strange, I have the same screen resolution 1280 x 1080 on a 22 inch screen and I only have two black bars on the sides, but a reasonable sized screen. How is your scaling mode set to?

Anyway, liking what I see thusfar but going to bed now, so see you all tomorrow.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Jun 2, 12 2:37 PM
sunshine.....you are a little ahead of me. I got *** the first word of the rubbings, but haven't figured out how to do the 2nd word yet. *** So I think I'll go topside for the night. See you all tomorrow.

[Post New]by piggies3 on Jun 2, 12 3:31 PM
just downloaded the game. how do I join in?

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Jun 2, 12 3:41 PM
CfG - Hmmm I'm not sure, come to think of it. I will do some investigating, thanks, good to know that I should be able to get it a decent size without changing my screen resolution all the time.

piggies3 - Welcome to our group play, I will list you as playing. By saying you are playing (as you have) and playing the game means you are joining in. We all tend to write short progress reports about our ventures into the game. We talk about our frustrations of being stuck, how happy we are that we solved a puzzle, ask for help if we want it, help those that request it if we can, and generally talk about our likes and dislikes of the game. The only thing we ask is that anything that might be considered a spoiler is whited out. If you aren't sure how to do that don't be afraid to ask and someone will talk you through it. Hope you enjoy the game and the group play.

Well, currently I am stuck! I have achieved some things but right now I ** need to work out the password to Rhiannon's computer, find the combination to the lock on the workshop and find the secret diary. ** Leaving it there for tonight, I am happy with my first delve into the world of Rhiannon and am definately enjoying it. It has a deliciously creepy feel to the game, and with headphones on in the dark is great fun!

ETA: Well by chance, after I changed the resolution back to normal I clicked the wrong icon and turned the game back on. To make a liar out of me, the game is now playing in fullscreen with no black bars at all and not stretched either! Oh well, happy days!

Edited on 06/02/2012 at 4:08:47 PM PST

Freka
Herring
Herring
304 Posts

[Post New]by Freka on Jun 2, 12 5:06 PM
I think a hex has been put on me! I remember getting a lot further in the demo (I always delete the demo data files). When I accidentally entered the game yesterday, I had no problem finding the key and entering the house. Today, I wandered about for at least an hour before I finally found the flower pot and entered. Now I am stuck in the entry and cannot get out!

Well, it's dark in there and it looks like rain, so I'm curling up on the first stair to the upstairs and going to sleep. Maybe things will be a bit brighter tomorrow.

Goodnight, all.

[Post New]by kazkaz1957 on Jun 2, 12 11:03 PM
Hi Freka

Don't worry, have a look around the area you are in for possible actions. If you are still stuck, *** if you recall the email from Jen, she said they'd turned off the electricity as a precaution. Try the light switch to the left of the stairs and then look around the hallway for a little cupboard containing the mains electricity switch. Once you have got that sorted out, you'll find you can move on ***

Hope that helps and you didn't have nightmares about it!

Go to: