Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

Re:Reviews for Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jun 7, 12 1:54 PM
Kudos to the Developers of this wonderful game!!!! Thanks a bunch for bringing this spectular game to us today, BFG!!! I wish we could get more HOGS like this one, I would be in heaven for sure, lol! I didn't find the graphics grainy or blurry at all, they were very clear on my laptop and filled my screen, no problem there either. Of course, I have the option on my laptop to change my graphics settings so I am luckier than the fishies that are having issues with games not filling their screens. I was quite taken in by the storyline and gameplay, love it, love it, love it

I have only one complaint and it is a minor one...I found that the printing on the Items List in the hidden object scenes would have been more visible had the words been in black or a dark colour against the light green background. I did have some difficulty seeing the white letters....just a small suggestion to the Developers in that next game, to use dark lettering if using a light background for the Items List...........other than that, SUPERB GAME! INSTANT BUY!

tacgof
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by tacgof on Jun 7, 12 10:51 PM
The storyline about kidnapped children made me very uncomfortable. This one seemed a little to specific in the openng scene. If not for that, I would have thought about buying the SE, but after playing I felt creppy and not in a good way.
No buy ever. IMO

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 8, 12 1:39 AM
These new devs bumped all my favourite devs down one place and took the No. 1 spot. Likewise my Best Games List, which now has a new No. 1.

It has an ethereal "Pan's Labyrinth" feel to it. Not to equate it with "Pan's Labyrinth", but the atmosphere is very similar. The story is very dark - it doesn't get much darker than child abduction - but the surreal, faintly weird, yet beautiful way it is put together is fascinating. Gorgeous graphics and use of colour, and original puzzles. Technically perfect. Clear and distinct interactive HOS. A really excellent BC that really deserves praise. Took me 5.5 hrs to complete. Great value for money. And, extras in the extras. Something new. I found absolutely nothing wrong with either the music or the sound effects.

Every now and then come new devs that think outside the box. It's compelling and exciting and a bit like watching a movie. It's a benchmark game and I want more from these devs. I will buy from them the minute I see their name.

It gets 10/10. There are new guys in town and they're not messing about.

Wonderful work, guys. You have talent and imagination in abundance.

Edited on 06/08/2012 at 1:48:38 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 8, 12 6:14 AM
at first the game was slow, as we played the game was much more FUN. this will be a SE buy. doug & lisa

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Jun 8, 12 11:50 AM
I just finished the demo and may purchase the CE at a later date. I may rank this game higher than it deserves due to the recent stinkers we've been given. I played on the medium mode and like that it actually didn't give sparkles.

As others have said, the promo pics look a lot sharper than the actual game, though I'm also outside and the sun just came around. Most of the HOG scenes were pretty easy, though I had to use hint a few times on one. Some of the found objects were pretty obscured. A few, I wouldn't have noticed had not my cursor changed.

The puzzles are relatively easy, though they are more time-consuming than actual fun. There is also a lot of back and forth to find tiny bits of each puzzle. I don't recall a map, though with just a handful of playable areas, one is not really needed.

The story line is worth pursuing, IMO. It's not the usual Strong Female Looking for Lost Male Relative and interacting with other characters didn't take up too much time with dialogue.

You have to find masks and there seems to be one in each new playable area. They were all pretty easy to find. I like when games give that little extra option, YMMV.

As far as the UI goes, I found the cursor rather slow and some items in HOG scenes were a little nitpicky about where you clicked.

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 10:34:35 PM PST

oo7julee
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by oo7julee on Jun 8, 12 6:45 PM
Awsome game.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jun 8, 12 8:16 PM
Paused in the middle of the trial to purchase and download, something I rarely do. I was on the fence with the mixed reviews, but have to say it really drew me in! The voice overs are superb and the occasional creep factor is different than I've experienced in a long time!

One thing...

NO WIDESCREEN!!!! For crying out loud, why not?????? Technology is here, devs, and we've come to expect it especially at SE prices. Inexcusable in this day and age!! I definitely will expect this to be corrected in the future!

That said, I'll check back in when I've completed the game. For you who are also on the fence about this one, please give it a try, you'll be surprised once you get into it...

fraziely
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by fraziely on Jun 8, 12 10:21 PM
Loved it!! Great graphics, great story and voice talent. It's length is equivalent to most CE's.There are unique puzzles and graphical interplay that served to further enhance the awesome gameplay experience.

I would add one side note to dev's (all HOG dev's)-please figure out a way to make it clear at the start of the game that there are additional items to find, i.e., (masks), etc. Being a HOG fanatic, I rarely (if ever) initialize the tutorials and end up coming across the addt'l features quite by accident and usually mid-game. This detracts from an otherwise enjoyable gameplay experience. I would imagine that doing so would help to market the game, as well.

Again, great game which I thoroughly enjoyed.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jun 9, 12 5:31 AM
This is really a great game! Beautiful graphics, great storyline. The bonus is perfect.

You did a great job, Devs! Hope there are coming more games like this one.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jun 9, 12 5:59 AM
Really fine game! Frankly, they dion't get a lot better than this in my humble opinion.
Graphics: simply gorgeous. Well painted, clear, brighter colours than we have been getting used to and fine on the eyes. Interesting sites to roam through and I really didn't want to leave scenes. I was glad for the searching for the masks to keep me in each scene for as long as possible. REally nicely done! Well done artists!
Gameplay; this is a new developer to me and they have come out with such a winner.
The gameplay is smooth, loved doing the tasks that were placed before me, ..could have happily have done more, frankly. Puzzles were often new and head scratching.
I did struggle a mite with the Hidden Object scenes..nose up to the screen because some were delicately painted and not that easy to see, but the over all game kept them from bogging you down. You know how is some games you are relieved to find the H. O. scene? This one was...aww, okok, I ll do this but I wanrt to keep roaming..more more!
Story; Good one. For some reason, although it is slightly like so many others..missing kid and all...this one feels more personal. The characters that you meet are so well drawn and their words delivered they must be based on real folks there at the developers site. Language were wording was flawless that I could tell.
Music I liked, though when going into another part of the house I could here how redundant it got..the loop needs to be a bit longer.
In general..what a game! Loved it! Bring us more! As soon as possibe, definately worth the C.E., nice bonus game and extra H.O. scenes. Game took me over 6 hours to play. kris

gparadox
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by gparadox on Jun 9, 12 12:44 PM
This one of the best games I have played in a long time
If this is the first game from this dev then they are a must buy for future games

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 9, 12 2:41 PM
I just finished the game, and what a beautiful and great and fun game this was.

The bonus game was just wonderful as well. It took me 1 1/2 hours to play the bonus game, and that included skipping a couple of puzzles. Really lovely game and very well done bonus game: so colourful and with new scenes.

I can't belive it, but I missed 2 masks. *sigh* And I was so careful not to miss them in each scene.

What I found really interesting was that the search for the masks continued in the bonus game. I collected 40 masks in the main game, and collected 13 masks in the bonus game. I don't know where I missed those 2 other masks, in the main or bonus game. It must have been in the main game, because I was very careful not to miss any in the bonus game.
ETA: Just noticed from another thread here that I did miss at least one of the 2 masks in the bonus game. I guess I was too busy doing something else to realise there is a mask hidden as well.

Anyway, it seems that the masks will not be part of the SE, because you continue to search for them in the bonus game, which I really liked.

Super game.

Edited on 06/09/2012 at 2:46:35 PM PST

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Jun 9, 12 3:40 PM
Wow i really enjoyed this game! It was of fun and not too hard.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jun 9, 12 7:52 PM
I this game. Good graphics, with just enough difficulty and obsurity, with clever placements of a good combination of sick & twisted plus regular objects in hos,
this game really has a nice flow to it, with sometimes not so obvious goals, and some hos have to be earned, some complicated tasks and unexpected outcomes. i found the puzzles to be hard but really fun, and for a change enjoyed the background music, or lack of it. great sound effects, and the voiceovers very well done!
it's been a long time since i enjoyed a game this much for this long in so many ways.
Well done Devs!!! Thanks This suited me perfectly, love the difficulty and the rewards. (btw i played on expert, i like 'em hard) i totally recommend this game!

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jun 9, 12 10:33 PM
Just finished the game... 10hrs 45 min... very long play!!! To think that I almost passed this gem up because of mixed reviews I had read up to the time I decided to buy makes me quiver!! This is one of the BEST games that has come along in great while and is SO worth the money as a CE!! The game is superb for all the reasons already stated and the bonus was long and exceptional. In my opinion, it really added to the game. There were SO many different areas to explore that a map would have been useful. My original comment still stands though:

WHY NO WIDESCREEN???

I expect this will be corrected going forward and will definitely purchase games by this developer in the future! Great replay potential for me. Well done!!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jun 9, 12 11:12 PM
Hi there,
Not a review as such, but I would like to send kudos to the developers for a few things I really appreciated in this delightful game.
Firstly, being able to move things with my "hand" when it seemed logical to do so, rather than having to set off looking for a shovel, fork, leaf-blower ..... etc. Many of "us" are tired of having to illogically search for other items.
Secondly, "relating" the background to the story through the puppet theatres - really nice touch.
Thirdly, only having to re-visit each HOS twice which indicated the area was completed.
Fourthly, having absolutely NO sparkles in the advanced mode- including the HOS. I thought there was a slip-up with the Pheonix Shrine until I realised it was an animated effect.
Fifthly, the main game actually has a conclusion and doesn't rely on a continuance in the Bonus game for it to be solved.
Thank-you for this most enjoyable addition to my gaming collection. I have noted it down for a re-play must in the future.
Now, in light of the fact that I trialled this on a laptop with Vista and had widescreen and complete synchronisation in that version, but played on a laptop with Windows 7 with no real widescreen (stretched) and the synch was slightly off,I hope that you develop your next game for at least this latest version of OS (even though it might be redundant when your next game is released!).
Cheers
Edited to add #5

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 5:09:39 PM PST

KITANA716
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by KITANA716 on Jun 9, 12 11:46 PM
Well after a few days of games that left me cringing and wondering what's going on here. In comes this game I gave it a try and I liked it.I found it very nice with the graphics and relaxing gameplay and the storyline wasn't bad either.I posted a review and I mentioned the only thing that was a bit annoying was the music it got repetitive.That's the only thing that was for me out of place .I bought it anyway because I wanted to know what would happen next ..Storyline wise mind you.I forgot to mention in my review that ( I don't know if anybody else thought about this) I found the bonus game was more interesting than the main game.Overall it's a good game. Also in the hidden object scenes some of the articles listed weren't so easy to spot which made me look even harder...Okay I'll admit it... I had to use the hint button a few times ( I had an enjoyable time with this game. Have to say: Nice one developers!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jun 10, 12 3:30 PM
This game is a buy, which I will do later next week I did enjoy the game awesome sounds and pretty awesome graphics thx DEV's for all your hard work and many hours..This game is awesome!!!! Thx Big You rock!!!

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Jun 11, 12 1:44 PM
Excellent game; worthy of a CE title.

The "Bonus Game" was great.

If you purchase the SE version, you will get an ending to the game. The "Bonus Game" allows for a continuation of the game, with a "what if" type of ending.

goldens
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by goldens on Jun 11, 12 2:58 PM
This has been my favorite game so far this year. Congratulations and thank you to the developers for providing many hours of entertainment. I felt the storyline including the bonus play flowed nicely. The puzzles were quite creative and enjoyable, the music always fit the mood, and the artwork was beautiful.

Go to: