dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

Re:Reviews for Eastville Chronicles: The Drama Queen Murder

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 9, 12 11:14 AM
I'm sure this game would appeal to many people, mostly beginners and maybe even some who like straight HOGs (I do sometimes). The graphics weren't bad, seemed very old school. Sound when you found an item was very annoying, a lot of dialogue (but you could click through), game play okay. Did not care for the hint system at all..screen going black and white with the item in yellow was terrible. HOGs were junk piles.

This game did not grab my attention at all. Sorry, I didn't even last half an hour on this one. No buy for me either.

Thanks for the reviews.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jun 9, 12 3:53 PM
Nice game, it is a murder mystery theme with nice graphics, the HOscenes to me were not that bad, yes some items are small but I was able to find them with not problems.

Is not voices but the HOscenes have nice sound effects.

The game overall is worth the price of a SE.

dogma45
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by dogma45 on Jun 9, 12 4:14 PM
Valdy pretty much summed it up. Although the story of Scramouche is awesome..1952 movie. Sorry devs, this didnt cut it the sword scene in the old movie was more fun!

inkyfngrs
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by inkyfngrs on Jun 9, 12 6:05 PM
Hi Fishies:

I think this would be a good starter game for newbies to HOG. Way too boring for me. Sorry no buy.

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Jun 9, 12 10:23 PM
I had no problem with the HO scenes at all True, some of the objects are small, but these are not junkpiles. Other objects are quite large and easy to see. The scenes are clear and colored like real life. IMO, that helps make the objects easy enough to find.

This would probably never be a buy for me anyway, because it isn't the genre I like... I prefer the dark, horrid, spooky games... but in addition, there are simply way too many HO scenes and puzzles for me, but I can see where those who like straight HO/ puzzle games would be pleased.

A positive for me was the fast filling of the skip button! I never had to use a hint, so can't comment on that.

Edited on 06/09/2012 at 10:25:25 PM PST

LadyLark
Minnow
Minnow
285 Posts

[Post New]by LadyLark on Jun 10, 12 2:06 AM
Lasted 4 minutes. Bored already. Judging from reviews, it wasn't going to get any better. Game was letterboxed with wide black bands at top and bottom of screen (I don't have a widescreen), which is why everything was teeny-tiny. Ugh. This might have been fun--ten years ago!!!

Not a good week for BFG. Into the hotpot with !

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 10, 12 5:03 AM
played for 8 mins. and had to stop. we will not purchase this HOG. ----doug & lisa

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Jun 10, 12 5:22 AM
Sorry, developers. I can't play this game. The objects are too small for me to see, much less distinguish, which means that the only way for me to find objects in the hidden object scenes is by random clicking. Unfortunately, the game penalizes you for doing so, making the cursor swirl around randomly after you hit two or three objects incorrectly.

In addition, the print is impossibly small, to the point where I had trouble even seeing the letters I was typing for my screenname. The small print in the backstory and in the gameplay instructions? Eye-strainingly small. There's also no way to enlarge the screen and therefore expand the font. Nor are there any voiceovers, so you can't gather the information needed in that fashion.

All told, this game is terrible for anyone who is visually challenged or visually disabled. For shame, devs. It's 2012! You should know better than this!

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jun 10, 12 1:27 PM
Yikes. Talk. Click. Talk. Click. Well....Talk. Strain to see dialogue.Click. Talk. Strain to see...Yada yada. It's probably more me than the game really. Just not fond of straight HOG's anymore.

faboomama
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by faboomama on Jun 10, 12 10:29 PM
Lasted 8 minutes. Well, actually probably 5, with 3 mins. of skipping dialogue, that first puzzle and trying to exit, but having the log pop up continually, instead.

Straight HOG from what I saw, with the words and items way too small to be fun for me. I had the game sound AND my speakers on low and the noise for when an item was found was annoying.

I'm sure the story may be interesting, but I couldn't bring myself to care about it because what little dialogue I saw, was not.

FWIW, I thought it was going to along the lines of that James Patterson (?) series of HOGs. Those, I don't like, at all. This game was like an extremely light version of those.

While I won't buy it, I'm sure this will be a good intro for a newbie to HOG.

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Jun 11, 12 11:35 AM
I totally do not like this game. Just not my type. I don't recommend it if you are thinking about purchasing it. I bought it so I had to finish it. I don't like waste.

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Jun 12, 12 7:30 PM
Not a terribly challenging game, but very pretty to look at and not a bad way to kill some time. I am not always up for a game that requires me to strain my brain.

Warning: turn down your volume; the sound the game makes when you pick up a hidden object is jarring and it'll blow you out of your chair if the volume's too loud.

As for the puzzles, which happen to be my weak point, well, I have to say that even *I* thought these puzzles were ridiculously easy.

All in all a relaxing way to kill a couple hours, but don't expect excitement or a challenge.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jun 13, 12 12:04 PM
i would have to say that this game makes the others i've played lately look like absolute jewels!! it was just so poorly done... in fact, i don't think it warrants one star...

i started it thinking, okay, this one's probably not a superstar, but it may have something to offer... after the first couple of hidden object scenes and the coarse beating of the violin strings with each object found, i immediately muted the thing... what a horror?!? who does that??? note to devs: if you want people to play and enjoy your games, give them [a] something pleasant to look at, [b] something pleasant to listen to, and [c] an intriguing storyline... so this game totally lost at soundtrack... let's move on with our investigation

the graphics weren't absolutely terrible, but they could certainly use a LOT of improvement... in the HOS, some items were so small or blurred that it became difficult to pick them out of the junk piles that occasionally 'appeared' out of nowhere to make the next step in the 'investigation' and while some things were very sharp and clear, the balance didn't always work in favor of the player... now i'm looking at this thing on a widescreen [which the game is not, btw] so i've got the room to look at these things... and it's just not pretty... a good effort, maybe, but not a win...

lastly, the story... classic whodunit with a twist of romantic rivalry... good safe bet and nice in some ways because the subject is already dead - ie: no one to SAVE from this thing or that thing - and the objective is to figure out who the killer is... for this type of plot, an opera house is a good setting, but the characters are a bit wishy-washy and the dialogue is a few keys south of trite... so it's a no-go for me there, too...

all the way around, i just can't see any reason to in whole hog on this one, guys, so it's a definite and on to the next one...

Aveda5
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Aveda5 on Jun 15, 12 8:20 AM
got 33 minutes into the game and found it just didn't grab my attention or hold me by making me want to see what happens next. I DO like HOGs but this one just isn't going to be one them.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 17, 12 3:10 AM
I got the free full version on another site and just completed it. 2 skip puzzles for me, I got confused how to do the dial puzzle, and I skip 1 slider puzzle cos I got too lazy to tax my brain trying to do it.

Objects were easy to find, hint recharge is decent. Not much storyline, static conversation (ie u have to read the text). Graphics is so-so.

Pro: lots of mini puzzles, but mostly a few types, picture slider, key slider, jigsaw, etc
Cons: Almost cant see the sparkles of where to go next. There are NO labels on keys so u dont know why key is for which, and had to try them to open doors. usually its the most recent keys. There are only a few inventory items, so try all keys if u had to.
Controls can sometimes be a bit slow or not responsive, eg u had to hold the key and pt at the sparkle to open a door. Sometimes if u drag the key into the sparkles area it doesnt open the door, and u had to try again by sort of "grasping" the key with your cursor

Its not too bad a game, if u read the text, its quite interesting that the main character tried to find evidence to connect the person accused to the crime.

Rating: 2.5/5
* Poor cursor control deduct 0.5pts
* Ok to get it if this is a free game. As usual I always urge those who dont know which site to try google, Hint: First word is "Wild"

I cant place a link here, so go find out! Or do what I do sometimes, search your library online and see whether they have a copy that you can borrow and install. I just installed a full copy of Plants vs Zombies borrowed from the library. In fact I had played a few BFG collector's edition such as Flux, Dark Tales series all FREE. FYI, in my country it is free to borrow items from the library and I only paid $1.15 to reserve it and go self-collect.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 21, 13 1:25 AM
HO Gamers, Don’t Be Put Off
BASED ON (ALMOST) COMPLETED GAME

Thought I’d get this in before the start of the day elsewhere... because this really is a much underestimated game, well worth the cost of today’s DAILY DEAL.

It is MOSTLY a HO game, there are heaps of them, and they are all STATIC SCENES with NON-INTERACTIVE LISTS, and a few MULTIPLES OF. We visit each twice, spread a fair way apart. There are plenty of PUZZLES too. These are generally straightforward, although I’ve had to skip a few. The thing that makes this game seem PRIMITIVE is the lack of any real ADVENTURE GAMEPLAY. I know that won’t bother MOST HO GAMERS.

Other reviewers have complained about the GRAPHICS, but I found them SURPRISINGLY GOOD photo-realistic “copy and paste” style (Usually an automatic turn off for me, but they look good in this game). There is plenty of colour and variety. They are geared to widescreen, so no distortion.

The other most popular beef is the large amount of NON-VOICED WRITTEN DIALOGUE. Yup, there’s an awful lot of it, but it gives us our only handle on the progress of the investigation, and keeps the STORY in our mind. Necessary, because there is no journal. And it’s SKIPPABLE.

A couple of the things I liked are:

The way each chapter begins with a SHADOW PLAY of the latest drama in the case, with side panels as the curtains, and film grain on the screen.

The interesting RELATIONSHIPS and CHARACTERS in the investigation, and the intelligent questions asked by the investigator.

The different SOUNDS for items found in the HOS. Not always the same tone. And the MUSIC in general.

My SUGGESTED IMPROVEMENT would be a JOURNAL to record the details on suspects, etc.

Not for everyone, it is a GOOD whodunit, and an EASY & ENTERTAINING game.

I recommend this game!

Go to: