Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Comments for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 10, 12 4:49 AM
anabel1566 wrote:The trials just keep getting shorter and shorter. The demo wasn't long enough to peek my interest....added to my "maybe someday list"....which, by the way, is getting longer and longer....lol The lag of the black screen in between scenes is just annoying.

The trial version of this game is indeed quite short. Even I managed it in 50 minutes, and I usually never manage to finish the trial version within the hour given.

I didn't have any lag in between scenes, but the custom cursor was dragging from time to time. I didn't want to use the system cursor, because that would have been even more tiny than the custom cusor.

I just had a look again at the last Haunted House instalment, which came out on BigFish in August 2010. I thought that the graphics of that game were much better than they were here. Much more smooth, for one thing.

I will buy the SE, because the game was interesting enough for me, but I definitely wouldn't want to get the CE.

flowerchild44
Marlin
Marlin
8,348 Posts

[Post New]by flowerchild44 on Jun 10, 12 5:24 AM
I have to say I may consider this as an S.E. but am hesitating paying for a C.E.
I found the navigation between scenes very annoying looking at a blank screen, the hos came fast and furious with two in the first two minutes of the demo, the cigar in one was impossible to see, and I had to resort to the hint button, which does seem to refill quickly.I am sure many will enjoy this one, but i will wait for the S.E.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 10, 12 5:53 AM
flowerchild44 wrote:I have to say I may consider this as an S.E. but am hesitating paying for a C.E.
I found the navigation between scenes very annoying looking at a blank screen, the hos came fast and furious with two in the first two minutes of the demo, the cigar in one was impossible to see, and I had to resort to the hint button, which does seem to refill quickly.I am sure many will enjoy this one, but i will wait for the S.E.

You and me both, flowerchild. I too couldn't find that cigar, and even when the HINT showed it to me I clicked around in the general direction without seeing it.

And I wasn't too thrilled when the first thing I had to do when the game started was doing a HOS. I was thinking at the time that a game doesn't get off to a good start if the first thing I am dealing with is a HOS. I like to get familiar with my surroundings first, have a look at this, and poke my cursor into that, and then, at some point, stumble upon a HOS. Not right there in the first second of the game.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jun 10, 12 6:27 AM
I played the demo with 25 minutes left, blah. I don't know if I'm just tired of creepy sad games or if I'm just tired of HIDDEN OBJECT games. Why oh why does EVERY new game have to have hidden freaking objects in them? What ever happened to a good old fashion adventure game WITHOUT the HIDDEN OBJECT SCENES? I have used caps where I felt I needed to express my contempt
So I guess you've all guessed what I'm going to do with this game, yep, you guessed it, DELETE!!!!
I actually might have bought this one if I hadn't already played fifty trillion games just like it, with a different twist. Sounds like some of our worlds debt, fifty trillion,
Sorry BF, I know you try to please us with these games but really, are you kidding me? Even you have to be sick and tired of HIDDEN OBJECT games.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jun 10, 12 6:41 AM
As much as I love the HOS scenes, I have to agree with Valdy on this. I like to run my cursor around, check out the area, check out where I can go, etc. I love to find a bunch of inventory items first (personal preference), even if I can't find a use for them immediately, rather than find a bunch of locked doors, gates, places that need a puzzle piece and nothing in the inventory. It is so frustrating!

What I don't get about this game is why the lag time in loading in some locations and not in others?

Another complaint is why didn't the developers hide the inventory list while the mini game/puzzle is being played? I thought I would not be able to see the bottom of the screen for the numbered tile game until a brilliant thought occurred to me to click the inventory bar and lo and behold it went down so I could view the entire puzzle.

You would think that with all these complaints I wouldn't buy this game, right? Nope, I am a sucker for CE's so of course I bought it.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 10, 12 7:10 AM
BfgBaikal said in the tech thread, clipped
We wanted to let you know that during our testing of Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition we found it to be more graphically intense than earlier installments in the series.
Check out what else is said.

I wonder if this is the reason that some people are having difficulty with a slow cursor and the black screen in between scenes. My game seems to be fine and I am sorry for people that are having trouble.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 10, 12 7:20 AM
This game should be called " Blah Hotel" as it left me with a feeling of dissatisfaction and depression. Nothing fun or exciting here, or spooky. The black furry cyclone that swirls around is more laughable than scary.

There are too many Hos scenes in the beginning which usually means the the rest of the game will be fraught with them. (Boooooring).

I wanted to like this game but alas did not. So no buy, probably not even as an SE. Back to "Rite of passage" a much better game IMO.

ETA: Hello Ann if you are still around.

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 7:24:43 AM PST

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jun 10, 12 7:20 AM
I will most likely buy this game...as a SE if offered.

I just don't like the slow black screen between some "areas" although in some, such as the house, going from scene to scene moves right along. It is kind of like everything in one area such as the house can be accessed right away but in going from garden to ferry to house, etc I get the black screen. No cursor problems though.

I don't mind H0 scenes but do like them to be "consistent" with the game. I do NOT like looking for an item which happens to be a drawing such as a teapot on an Egyptian picture or the outline of a pirate on a barrel. They just don't "fit" the game.

Some of the puzzles were SO simplistic such as the ferry one, but would have to do them to get the "achievement". Lots and lots of notes to read. (I don't know if they would have to be picked up and read to "unlock" a H0 scene or another area to visit).

I'll wait...

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jun 10, 12 7:52 AM
How are some people able to finish the game when I had a H0 that didn't exist and gave me an error message? How is it that some people get one version and others a different one? Wouldn't that object be missing everywhere?

Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by 0161 on Jun 10, 12 8:16 AM
fraziely wrote:Nice game. But there's something about it that just doesn't do it for me. Seems to be lacking something in the quality of the gameplay for me-can't quite put my finger on it. Probably won't buy as a CE, but definitely as an SE.

Also, If I can't move through the hint and/or skip systems quickly; it's a definite downer for me. Bogs down the pace of the game, leaving me at a stand-still and frustrated. With this game, there's no such thing as a directional hint. You know, the kind of hint that just points you in the right direction but doesn't deplete the hint timer. With this game, if you click on the 'hint' icon, you have to wait for it to refill completely before you can get another hint. That may work well for those who don't mind the suspense of waiting. Or for those who don't use the hint system often. Personally I prefer the hints and skips to be available when I want them to be. Not when the game determines I can use them-makes the game alot less enjoyable for me. I'm much less apt to want to purchase a game that has a slow hint or skip timer.

Could not agree with you more I'm falling asleep waiting for the skip system to get its' act together, slows down the game completely and I really cannot be bothered to plod on with this one. Definate no buy for me!

alowan
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by alowan on Jun 10, 12 8:26 AM
I'm downloading right now, so I have no comments on game play. I just want to reply to a couple of other comments.

Sheerija, You're right that a poker and fishing tackle don't really make a fishing rod. It would be useless for fly-fishing! But I like the idea in a game. I've used a high-heeled shoe as a hammer, a knife as a screwdriver, and other things like that. I like the devs being flexible that way.

OTOH, I've seen one or two games where they took it too far. I wound up, when not having a logical tool to use, just dropping everything in my inventory on that spot. I wish I could remember an example, but my memory is not working today.

To the folks who complain about having HO scenes in games: The blurb says: "Follow the clues to an abandoned hotel and unravel a mystery of necromancy and more in this eerie hidden-object puzzle adventure classic!" If you don't want HOS in a game, don't get a HOPA!

Pckiller
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Pckiller on Jun 10, 12 8:27 AM
Hi fishes!

I'm one of the developers. And I would like to thank you all for you comments and reviews!

For those of you who afraid that the game has a lot of HO scenes:
the game has 8 HO scenes in the main game play and 3 HO scenes in the Bonus chapter.

We are reading all you comments and reviews. Keep them coming.
Kudos everyone!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 10, 12 8:43 AM
Pckiller wrote:Hi fishes!

I'm one of the developers. And I would like to thank you all for you comments and reviews!

the game has 8 HO scenes in the main game play and 3 HO scenes in the Bonus chapter.

Kudos everyone!

Oh, hello Pckiller and welcome to the Pond...

While I have your attention (I hope) LOL I would like to ask you to please not allow for both the HINT and SKIP buttons to take unnecessarily long to fill - especially in Casual mode.
We, the gamers, should be able to skip a puzzle if and when we think we can't do it without having to sit there, staring at the screen, waiting for the SKIP button to fill.

And for the HINT button to take over a minute to refill after it's been used, in Casual mode, is far too long a time. 30 seconds should be the longest. Sometimes, especially in the main scenes, I want to use the HINT button to show me where I have to go next. And since we didn't get a MAP with the game, I would like for the HINT button to refill quick enough so that I can get a move on and continue with the game, rather than having to wait another minute until the HINT can show me whether to turn left or right.

Thanks for listening.

Valdy

Pckiller
Minnow
Minnow
267 Posts

[Post New]by Pckiller on Jun 10, 12 8:50 AM
Valdy wrote:

Kudos everyone!

Oh, hello Pckiller and welcome to the Pond...

While I have your attention (I hope) LOL I would like to ask you to please not allow for both the HINT and SKIP buttons to take unnecessarily long to fill - especially in Casual mode.
We, the gamers, should be able to skip a puzzle if and when we think we can't do it without having to sit there, staring at the screen, waiting for the SKIP button to fill.

And for the HINT button to take over a minute to refill after it's been used, in Casual mode, is far too long a time. 30 seconds should be the longest. Sometimes, especially in the main scenes, I want to use the HINT button to show me where I have to go next. And since we didn't get a MAP with the game, I would like for the HINT button to refill quick enough so that I can get a move on and continue with the game, rather than having to wait another minute until the HINT can show me whether to turn left or right.

Thanks for listening.

Valdy

Thank you Valdy,
we will think about your suggestion and might tweak this a bit in the next build.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 10, 12 9:11 AM
alowan wrote:I'm downloading right now, so I have no comments on game play. I just want to reply to a couple of other comments.

Sheerija, You're right that a poker and fishing tackle don't really make a fishing rod. It would be useless for fly-fishing! But I like the idea in a game. I've used a high-heeled shoe as a hammer, a knife as a screwdriver, and other things like that. I like the devs being flexible that way.

OTOH, I've seen one or two games where they took it too far. I wound up, when not having a logical tool to use, just dropping everything in my inventory on that spot. I wish I could remember an example, but my memory is not working today.

To the folks who complain about having HO scenes in games: The blurb says: "Follow the clues to an abandoned hotel and unravel a mystery of necromancy and more in this eerie hidden-object puzzle adventure classic!" If you don't want HOS in a game, don't get a HOPA!

I think most of us who complain about Hos, its not that we don't want them, its just that some games have an abundance of them. And since most of us have been playing Hidden object games for quite awhile we have grown weary of JUST going from Hos to Hos without substantive activity inbetween. I see that the developer came in and said there weren't too many hos so thats good.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jun 10, 12 9:34 AM
Hi Pckiller, welcome to the pond and thanks for letting us know you are listening and using our suggestions to improve your games with.

Just a couple of more suggestions. I like the fact that locations have names and if the hint button would show which way to go without depleting the time on it, that would be fantastic. I agree with Valdy that in casual mode the timer or skip button should not take more than 30 seconds to refill. Also there should be no click penalty-I don't believe there is one in this game-thank you so much for that.

Once you are done looking at something in a zoomed area and there are no more objects there or nothing to do, please make it go away. If there is a note or clue we need to use then please provide a dairy or journal to keep it in. I play a game over several days or a couple of hours at a time. When I revisit a location it is maddening to click on that zoom in area only to discover I already used, picked up, or read what I needed.

Other than the load time in some areas (with a black screen) I do like the game. I'm looking forward to your next venture.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jun 10, 12 9:36 AM
hannah57 wrote:I played the demo with 25 minutes left, blah. I don't know if I'm just tired of creepy sad games or if I'm just tired of HIDDEN OBJECT games. Why oh why does EVERY new game have to have hidden freaking objects in them? What ever happened to a good old fashion adventure game WITHOUT the HIDDEN OBJECT SCENES? I have used caps where I felt I needed to express my contempt
{clipped quote} Hello Hannah, You may want to cruise through the games on the "New Releases" tab. There have been a lot of TM, M3 and Puzzle games released in the past few months. I think there may have been an Adventure game or two also. IHOGs/HOPAs are but one genre choice on this site.

eta: Oh, and there are also quite a few game portals "out there" that are dedicated to Adventure games.

Edited on 06/10/2012 at 9:37:52 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jun 10, 12 10:02 AM
KCBEAR2045 wrote. (Clipped)
Once you are done looking at something in a zoomed area and there are no more objects there or nothing to do, please make it go away. If there is a note or clue we need to use then please provide a dairy or journal to keep it in. I play a game over several days or a couple of hours at a time. When I revisit a location it is maddening to click on that zoom in area only to discover I already used, picked up, or read what I needed.
Hi
This game does all that you have asked for here.

Hi mahtfie

Hello Pckiller (I hope that you do not really kill PC's )
Thank you for calling to see us.
Especially thank you for this clip
I was sure that I had not come across many but was starting to wonder, when other people said that they did.
Excellent game! Keep up the good work

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 10, 12 10:47 AM

Kudos everyone!

Thank you so much for coming in, it would be nice if more devs did that. I appreciate your info on Ho scenes. I may give this game a second look.

[Post New]by berbse0909 on Jun 10, 12 10:49 AM
Like it, at least until, say, halfway through Day 2.
Some of us have a life to live between gaming and now I don´t remember where the darn alchemy room is where I´m supposed to paint something red.
Wish there were a map to look at so that one can retrace one´s steps like there are in other games.
Can someone somewhere point me in the right direction please ? Thanks.

Go to: