Carole22759
Minnow
Minnow
288 Posts

Re:Post any Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by Carole22759 on Jun 10, 12 3:04 PM
Would be sooooooooooooo much easier if the developers programmed accordingly for true/accurate/real widescreen, instead of the stretch or manipulate our resolution settings options.
This must be one of the top-ten programming costs that gets the ax when budget issues arise. When developers skimp on this feature they LOUDLY tell us this is not a top priority for them.
Too bad it's still happening... well into 2012 (go figure).

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

Re:Post any Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition technical issues here only

[Post New]by margit50 on Jun 10, 12 3:57 PM
I will play a few minutes and then I receive the message that the game has encountered an error and needs to shut down. I have uninstalled and installed already. I also tried in windowed mode, if I pay a CE price I want full screen. Not a buy for me.

Rapunzl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

Game Keeps Crashing! Help!

[Post New]by Rapunzl on Jun 10, 12 6:16 PM
Rapunzl wrote:This looks like a great game, but it keeps crashing on me! I can't get past the first 6 minutes...I've tried all the troubleshooting and re-downloaded the game, only to crash every time I try to play. I get about a minute of gameplay, then a message pops up..."Windows is closing this program"...Grrrrrrr!

Any hints? I really want to play this one, as it looks like a great one!!

Okay...I tried what everyone else did and turned off the "Full Screen" mode and played in "windowed mode"...and it worked... but what a drag!! The graphics are great and you can't see anything in windowed mode! Am I banished to play this game in windowed mode forever??

I agree with some other posts here...I won't pay for this game if I need to watch the whole thing in on a tiny screen.

ogrprincs
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by ogrprincs on Jun 10, 12 7:00 PM
I have the same problem with the drangonfly(cigar). It never morphed for me. I cannot go any futher with the game as I do not know if I need anything from this HOS. The MISSING PAGE is from the INFO BAR above it. It will lighten up if your cursor is on it. I really would like to play this game, but I keep losing play time waiting for this dragonfly to morph.

kat_fur54
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by kat_fur54 on Jun 10, 12 7:04 PM
Rapunzl wrote:This looks like a great game, but it keeps crashing on me! I can't get past the first 6 minutes...I've tried all the troubleshooting and re-downloaded the game, only to crash every time I try to play. I get about a minute of gameplay, then a message pops up..."Windows is closing this program"...Grrrrrrr!

Same here, I give up trying. Worse, after un-installing then re-installing 3 times, I click to play and it goes back to the Thanks for playing page in Game Manager and won't load. Too bad, looks like a decent game with nice graphics. I'll keep following your post and see if any suggestions or updates come in that get the game working.

[Post New]by EmilyB1955 on Jun 10, 12 10:53 PM
Played a few minutes, looks interesting......then crash. Won't buy unti I know the issue is fixed.

[Post New]by sunbrooke19 on Jun 10, 12 11:41 PM
game crashing almost right when the game starts.

momsford
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by momsford on Jun 11, 12 12:36 AM

momsford
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by momsford on Jun 11, 12 12:38 AM

momsford
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by momsford on Jun 11, 12 12:40 AM
Seems like everyone is having the same problem at the six minute mark. I won't buy this game.

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 11, 12 1:26 AM
ottsnot wrote:I´ve got a problem, with the screen resolution. In HO scenes some items are hidden under the info bar. I can´t reach them. I´ve tried the stretch mode and tried to alter my resolution. Nothing works!!!! HELP

I had the same exact problem in HO scenes in MURDER SHE WROTE. What's your screen red? Mine is just under the BFG minimum on my netbook (but not on my 17" laptop - but I play games on my netbook only). I have no trouble with other games I've tried, Now I'm hesitant to get HAUNTED HOTEL: CHARLES DEXTER WARD CE.
OvrThRainb

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Jun 11, 12 9:12 AM
Hi Fishies,

I sorry to see many of you are having trouble with this game crashing!

We have found one workaround that seems to help with this which is to play the game in "Windowed Mode". You can choose this setting from Options, which you get to from the Main Menu.

It would also be a good idea to make sure your graphics drivers are up to date, which we go over in the help article here.

If you try those suggestions and are still having trouble, please get in touch with our Tech Support team. They'll be able to see how best to get this issue resolved for you, including giving you a refund for the game if you'd prefer that option.

You can contact them by clicking on the green envelope on the right to get to our Help pages. From there, click "Contact Us" on the left of that screen to submit a support ticket.

If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

bfgMonongahela

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jun 11, 12 9:39 AM
Just a quick update and hope it helps someone else...I followed another fish's footsteps and updated the driver on my nearly new laptop. Returned to the game full screen/screen stretch selected and replayed the demo with absolutely no issues. This will now be a buy for me! Happy gaming!

[Post New]by own2sphynx on Jun 12, 12 12:17 AM
im sending this issue to the higher ups here at bigfishgames. my issue is that i downloaded a bunch of the hour free demo to decide which one i like and pay for them down the road but not until this issue is solved...i am not going to pay for a game sight on scene this has happened on other games as well...Microsoft looks for a solution every time it never finds one it wont even give me a load screen just goes right to the error message...any and all help would be very much appreciated.

Thank You for any help you would be able to bestow on me. :-*

Sincerely

Katherine Ann

P.S. I have been a member in good standing since 03/08...i hope we can figure this out...to tell you the truth i am very disheartened and may take my business.Please help me solve this problem as i love your site and do not want to leave...but i will if i cant get an explanation and cure for this issues effecting multiple games.

bfgRhone
Manatee
Manatee
4,302 Posts

[Post New]by bfgRhone on Jun 12, 12 12:54 AM
own2sphynx, I also went ahead and responded to your other thread, but it sounds like making an adjustment to your DEP settings may help. Please try following the steps in the below help article to see if this works for you:

Adjust your DEP settings

If that didn't work, please contact Customer Support. You can contact them by clicking on the green envelope on the right to get to our Help pages, and then click "Contact Us" to the right of the screen to submit a support ticket.

Hope this helps!

bfgRhone

[Post New]by own2sphynx on Jun 12, 12 1:42 AM
thank you for the tip but alas my DEP setting were what they were supposed to be

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jun 12, 12 5:45 AM
Eoarod wrote:Cottoncandy & Annie -

The solution to the Dragonfly:

The cigar is under and slightly to the right of the dragonfly it blends well with the background & is hard to see - but it's there!! - the "Missing Page" comes up when you accidentally hit the "Info" tab (essentially the Journal in this game) - we haven't yet collected all the pages ("Charles' Letter" should be on your list and that's it so far)...so it's not a glitch at all - but it is a precise click to get the cigar without getting the Info or Dragonfly.

Happy Gaming!!

The problem wasn't it blending in with the wood, it was the fact that it was partially hidden by the "Guide" button.

Mart1n0940
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Mart1n0940 on Jun 12, 12 6:42 AM
This game froze and generated the BSOD after about 15 minutes requiring a hard restart each time to reboot the PC. Removing the full screen option made no difference

I noted some diagnostics which may be of use

The scene in which it crashed is after the black crow flies away into the garden, when you find it again it is in a tree and it needs to be dislodged. I picked up a seltzer bottle (as one would !) to dislodge it and the game froze at that point.

the BSOD said - "It appears that the device driver is in an infinite loop - program igxprd32)

the locations were 0x000000EA (0x89871DA0, 0x8A1D36F0, 0xBA4DFCBC, 0x00000001)

Martin

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Jun 12, 12 12:00 PM
Hi Martin,

Those errors you're seeing almost sound like driver problems, or possibly access violation errors. You can view some troubleshooting steps on our help articles here that might help:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

You can also find out a bit more about access violation errors here:

Access Violation

If those recommendations aren't helping, I recommend getting in touch with our Tech Support team so they can look into that problem for you.

I hope that helps,

bfgSeine

[Post New]by greeniflower on Jun 12, 12 12:15 PM
When I attempt to put the blue uv bulb in the red paint, it won't take.

Go to: