gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

Re:Reviews for Dark Alleys: Penumbra Motel

[Post New]by gameslvr on Jun 17, 12 7:33 PM
I thought this was a very good game. A little of the "spooky" theme but no horrible heads popping out at you or anything so not really scary. Much more intricate than I thought at first, with new rooms opening up and a lot of places to scan. Haven't gotten to the end yet but am enjoying the graphics and the story and NO HOGS immensely.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Jun 18, 12 1:14 PM
Another one with really not much of an ending. Okay game otherwise. I found some of the puzzles more annoying and time consuming than fun though.

77Emma77
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by 77Emma77 on Jun 22, 12 1:14 PM
just finished the game. a little thrill as i like it. but one puzzle made me puzzled really: the pipes in one of the bathrooms. i connected the left with right, no part was left, all clear but the game did not react on it. it looks that there was only one or few possible options considered as correct and i either managed to make another one or any except of the one correct.
some puzzles were nuisance, such as those planets. i just skipped them.
the hint button was not very helpful, to get an idea what to do when i got stuck, i had either an option to come here and check the walkthrough or wander throughout the whole playing area to find out in which room i should do something. and there were plenty of rooms, i must say. no hidden objects scenes as far as i know, which was ok for me, but the use of found items was so easy at some cases and sometimes the solution was a matter of try and find, such as the mirror and binoculars. the idea of "focus" had to be understood or i kept clicking like mad and see a little hint of moving of the same mirror i had in my itinerary - reflecting the light to the eye of the skull - again an illogical hint to me.

music was unusual to this kind of atmosphere, in my opinion, but ok.

i would give to this game about 6 out of 10. not bad, but it did not impress me that much, despite the overall idea was great.

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jun 26, 12 12:19 PM
Good game....glad I waited for the regular edition. I like the story & how they make it seem like real people in the cut scenes. I recommend the game. The length is decent too. I rate this 3 out of 5.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Jun 27, 12 4:51 AM
Really liked this game. The story was neat. The graphic's were great. the puzzles were fun an there are lot's of HOS. Worth buying.....

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Jul 7, 12 4:03 PM
I honestly wish folks would only speak for themselves. I'm so tired of people looking down their noses saying "Oh this would be good for a beginner" or like the above if you like hog scenes you will not like this game. Well guess what? I love games packed full of hog scenes and this game is not one of them but I still love this game. Some folks ie ME need variety. If you like or don't like a game, fantastic but you can't speak for other people. THAT's off-putting. I tried this demo and just bought it. It totally sucked me in from the beginning. I also have a new computer so no complaints about the graphics which are crystal clear even with the fog. I'd give this game 5 stars based on the demo. Happy gaming.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Jul 10, 12 11:41 AM
Just finished the whole game.
I liked it initially, the first 30 minutes is what made me buy the game.
I enjoyed the graphics and the look of the game.

Surprisingly, I didn't miss the HOGs that much and I do love HOGS. After I finished playing I realized maybe I would of liked some at least.

Upon completion I found many of the puzzles annoying and too difficult or something, they just weren't enjoyable, I found myself skipping a lot of them and I do like a challenge on a puzzle.
I was also disappointed in the reason for the storyline, as it has been repeated often in at least 5 other games I can think of off the top of my head.
I really wanted to say I loved this game, but it left me feeling like things were missing, the abrupt ending, seemingly missing parts in the storyline. I ended with feeling it was just "ok" and nothing I would even play again.

2 out of 5 stars.

Edited on 07/10/2012 at 11:45:12 AM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 15, 12 5:50 PM
katiepops wrote:Just finished the whole game.
I liked it initially, the first 30 minutes is what made me buy the game.
I enjoyed the graphics and the look of the game.

Surprisingly, I didn't miss the HOGs that much and I do love HOGS. After I finished playing I realized maybe I would of liked some at least.

Upon completion I found many of the puzzles annoying and too difficult or something, they just weren't enjoyable, I found myself skipping a lot of them and I do like a challenge on a puzzle.
I was also disappointed in the reason for the storyline, as it has been repeated often in at least 5 other games I can think of off the top of my head.
I really wanted to say I loved this game, but it left me feeling like things were missing, the abrupt ending, seemingly missing parts in the storyline. I ended with feeling it was just "ok" and nothing I would even play again.

2 out of 5 stars.

this review is precisely how ifelt about the game

floof
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by floof on Jul 27, 12 10:56 AM
I am so lost in this game. I usually never have problems finding my way around. I am so stuck and ready to uninstall this game. I cannot find the last reel nor can I get the yarn out from under the chest. I used the walkthrough and still cannot play this game. What am I missing? grrrrrrr. Can't find the screwdriver to get the watch for the book. I am so discouraged and frustrated. Still love my games tho...

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Aug 3, 12 3:58 PM
FINALLY finished this game...what a stuggle. I had started and then stopped this game and then just decided to get it over with. Where do I begin. Same-o story about madman thinking and then developing a machine in which he steals the souls of those he kills (influenced of course by a demon cult). So, if you are into seeing dead people, skeletons and puppets being torn apart, you'll like this. But first be aware it is a straight adventure game...no HOS, but a lot of mini games which are frustrating as hell...tedious, directions are not always clear or complete and the SKIP button takes 3.5 minutes to charge so you will have plenty of time to go make a sandwich if you don't want to frustrate yourself with the games. HINT button, which is basically useless, takes 1.5 minutes. This time lapse in the game makes you almost forget what you were doing before you got stuck waiting for the SKIP button so you could move on. This is all on the casual mode.

There is NO map and the only thing you have to guide you is a basically useless diary and a tast list that doesn't always have anything in it. There is a walkthrough which after being totally stuck I had to refer to...but, in the SE you have to exit the game and then go back in after consulting the walkthrough...I really try not to use those.

I give this a 2 ..Good luck with it if you decide to buy...but frankly, I'm glad its over!

Edited on 08/03/2012 at 4:03:39 PM PST

netizen
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by netizen on Aug 19, 12 12:09 AM
I really enjoyed playing this game and even found that I was happy that there were no HOSs, so I guess that makes up for the fact that this game took forEVER to load for me and the download kept timing out because of it.

I thought there were some good and different mini games, but I really didn't like the ending. I just didn't understand it! and I feel very unsatisfied.

Overall, though, a very good game. An enjoyable, good length adventure game with lots of places to visit.

Also - the only game I've ever left the sound on for the entire game.

What was that theme music? Anyone know?

Edited on 08/19/2012 at 12:10:40 AM PST

mazomaiden
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by mazomaiden on Jan 22, 13 7:54 PM
I actually liked this game quite a bit! I got in on a daily special and while sick in bed the last two days all the puzzles and different locations kept me very busy! Yes it is not a hidden object game but I got my moneys worth and more!

Go to: