sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

Re:Reviews for Royal Detective: The Lord of Statues Collector's Edition

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jun 14, 12 8:28 AM
Another wonderful game from Elephant Games. Set in the Alps, probably Switzerland, this game is excellent. Great graphics, a fairy tale like atmosphere which I believe most will love. There is are HOG scenes, but not numerous. There are puzzles which are not too difficult. I purchased the game immediately. The only annoyance were the bells during the game. I tried the various sliders to get rid of them, but was not successful. Made me want to yodel or something but still annoying. Geesh!

sherisgirl
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by sherisgirl on Jun 14, 12 11:45 AM
Loved it like everyone else, at last a decent game after nothing all week, love Elephant Devs always good games imo.

Downloaded and brought it this afternoon and have just finished although have done other things like walked the dogs and tea, but couldnt stop playing it.

The only thing is I think I finished about 7ish and had done the bonus by 7.45 so not a long bonus game.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jun 14, 12 11:50 AM
excellent game I don't usually buy CE for its a waste cause bonus chapters don't make me want to spend the extra money when I can buy another game with the savings but this game has me so hooked that I can't wait the time it takes to come out with the SE edition so I'm off to buy this beaut

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jun 14, 12 12:39 PM
What about this game you don't like? This game is by far one of the better ones we have seen. It is a blast! I would try to get more specific, but all you other wonderful 'fishies have highlighted these things. The dev has exceeded in this one, and thanks BF for offering it to us and a hug too!

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Jun 14, 12 1:08 PM
Ok, to add to my earlier (first spot) review - I went to bed then continued playing the demo today - got so carried away that it ran out to my total suprise, so of course it has been bought, installed, and I've continued on! Love this game!
grapics
storyline
animations and cut scenes
voiceovers
the little "helper"
puzzles
I can't think of anything bad to say - devs - this is a realy winner!
THANK YOU!

Celticcoco

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jun 14, 12 1:21 PM
Wow! Low budget or not, I just HAVE to buy this CE! Everything is so pleasant, original and beautiful that it plainly makes me happy just to look at it!
No dark magic, no skulls and bones everywhere, no depressing atmosphere but pure gamefun!

Love this ons devs! You earn every dollarcent I'm going to pay for it!

5 out of 5. Without any hesitation.

And... happy, thank you, more please.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jun 14, 12 1:44 PM
Everyone has touched on the important features. I love this game so much. It caught my interest immediately and I cannot wait to buy it...I am a cheapskate but I may even go ahead and buy the CE since I love it sooooo much.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 14, 12 2:50 PM
I just finished and I absolutely loved the animation...talking doors, all of the dwarves, so unexpected. The map was really good, the puzzles doable, and the achievments were achievable. Not sure what the video at the end was all about, as it looked like one from an earlier scene, but the story itself leads to a sequel, and I am really looking forward to it. Fantastic job, devs, and please don't keep us waiting so long for the next one as I always love your games.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 14, 12 3:20 PM
WOW! This is a game worth the CE price. Loved everything about the game. Elephant games are one of my favorite DEV's and they didn't let me down. Graphics,Music,Hints and I could go on and on.. Love it.. I give it a 5 out of 5 stars.. On my way to buy the CE...

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jun 14, 12 3:21 PM
To add a bit to my note earlier...
I like the way the objects in the H0 scenes seem to "melt away" when I click on them.

This game just has so many "little" differences from the usual, it makes it a great game!

Thanks developers and thank you BFG!!

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Jun 14, 12 4:17 PM
Despite all the comments on this game and despite Mudrock's advice, I didn't hold out for much hope on this game.

Whoa! Was I ever WRONG! The storyline instantly pulled me in. The hidden object scenes were just puzzling enough for me, as were the mini games. I enjoyed the scenery, oh, and just everything!

I love this game, and I've only just demoed it!

Very Well Done!

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Jun 14, 12 5:08 PM
Well, I'm glad I was too tired to do justice to the demo of "Rite of Passage: The Perfect Show" CE last night! (Don't misunderstand, ROP seems like a fine game, and I'll probably be picking that up too ).....but I've had a soft spot for Elephant Games since the first Mystery Trackers, and it sure looks like they may have outdone themselves with this game. I'm only halfway through the demo, but that's enough for me to know that there's no way I'm waiting for the SE.

There's all the things I've come to expect from EG; fantastic graphics, achievements (although there do seem to be fewer than previously - not necessarily a bad thing), extra things to find, and an immediately intriguing storyline. However, they've upped the ante a bit with widescreen, a cute little rooster, and a miner to help out with tasks. So many before me have said so much that I'll pretty much leave it at that...except for one minor quibble: EG, could you please make your next game without constantly falling snow? Living in Boston, I've already seen all the snow I want!

Off to buy, thanks and EG!

Silvia_B
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Silvia_B on Jun 14, 12 5:23 PM
I just finished the demo which ended much too fast. Visually, it's a beautiful game. Great voiceovers. I wasn't bored at all. I love the map which takes you where you want. The puzzles so far were fun. I did fine the hidden objects a bit difficult to find but I'm not usually as patient when I am doing the demo. I don't want to waste time. The background sounds were excellent. I usually turn down the music & background sounds to low. I will buy this game & hope everyone gives it a try. Excellent & well made game.

Silvia

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jun 14, 12 5:44 PM
Excellent graphics, engaging storytale, I love the scenery and the archer, the sound and the game's structure, the hint helper is really cute and innovative, the screen is perfect, so the colours,,,,,,and the snow...., I will update my review with more comments along with the playing, so far is a 10/10!

Edited on 06/14/2012 at 5:46:03 PM PST

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jun 14, 12 6:11 PM
CHERUB WAS POINT ON WITH HER REVIEW!

For those of us who do not like occult - I'm half way into it and haven't found anything to object too. The beginning will throw you off and I almost ditched it - but the developers listened and the SG is open for viewing to all chapters and bonus! Doesn't give the story away - just wets the appetite. There are fairytale and Greek Monsters and Legends but used in a humorous way!

Game is fun and funny beginning with the hint Gnome and a very useful Rooster!

A map system that makes the game easy to use by puffing ones self to the room or outside scene you need to be in.

The game puzzles are clever and well placed and a skip button if you don't like them.

Thank you developers and Elephant Games for giving us an enjoyable non violent, non occult, non sanitarium, non murder Game. An incredibly fun game!

UPDATE AFTER PLAYING FULL GAME AND BONUS -
If you haven't bought CE - wait for SE IF YOU HAVE A PROBLEM WITH OCCULT INFERENCES.

The main game was fun and fanciful the bonus game however, does not add to game ending. There was more of occult inferences in it by the use of cut out witches, cauldron, Stone Hedge - religion of Cardif (sp) - how they got him from Egypt to Stone Hedge don't understand.

The ending would lead one to believe there will be a second game and all indications would be *child of a witch * unless they have a way of working around these subtle hints.

Edited on 06/15/2012 at 3:30:09 PM PST

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jun 14, 12 8:11 PM
Fantastic! I heartily agree with all the other reviews. Terrific art, captivating story, new types of inventory items, great mix of puzzles and H0's, excellent teleport map. Just great! I've just bought it and I can't wait to play.

A small request for the devs - Can you please remove the black bar hints from the Hardcore mode? Not all of the black bar dialog! I really don't want to miss out on the story. But I like figuring things out for myself and the black bars give a little too much away. Thanks!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 14, 12 9:06 PM
AWESOME GAME. I miss the large file games and this is pretty close to them. I enjoyed every moment. The only complaint is the HOS's are way to small and cluttered. Not necessary just to make a game last longer. Lots of movement around these interesting area. I loved the interaction with the characters, even in the HOS. Good job BF. Thanks.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 14, 12 10:04 PM
SOLD!!!!!!!!!

I was beginning to think devs just didn't want to sell their games... but this has restored my faith completely!!! Beautiful graphics, captivating story, extras to find AND... YAY!!!!.... the wallpapers etc are available after purchase instead of after completion. So well worth the CE price!!! I could buy these all day long and twice on Sundays!!!

The only thing I don't like is that the video can't be watched until after you finish the bonus game which I rarely do so that is just lost to me. (Here's a hint devs... even if it contains spoilers just SAY that but let the buyer decide if it's going to spoil the game for them to watch before finishing.) But I'm still buying it because everything else is available so it's true immersion as a CE should be.

WELL DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 14, 12 10:55 PM
5 star whimisical game brought down to 4 stars because of length.

It’s an elephant game, my favourite DEV. I love their graphics – crisp, sharp* and beautiful. This game like all their recent games, give you a transporter map (instant jump) and here give you helpful different coloured icons on the map ‘things to do now, later etc’. They never repeat their hidden object scenes, have plenty of puzzles and it’s a great adventure.

But this is the shortest game I have played from them, 4hrs 45min for main game plus another 45min for bonus.

While this is just on the cusp of a normal length SE game for me (5-6hrs) anything under an hour for bonus play, it’s too short. Other games by them – surface, black aisle, legacy were around the 8hr mark and over for me (on middle play) for main game. I really am astonished at the length of this game purely because they are known for long, quality games.

I think this could be another new series from them, it’s easier than the others and I think has more hidden object scenes than most of their other games, as they are known for not having many. But compared to other HOPAs it would be about min-medium amount.

I love that this game has humour throughout, is whimsical and has a completely different plot. All I will say is that statues come alive, I won’t say any more about the family in this story as it would be a spoiler. It has a very well done voiceover – a gnome who is also your hint guide. There is no journal and the plot unfolds through cutscenes which was good and they have upped the amount of plot in this game compared to their others. This makes it a good balance of plot, adventure, puzzles and HO scenes. The pace was excellent and kept my attention throughout.
They have a choice of 3 settings in gameplay – middle (advanced) has no sparkles but still has hint and skip buttons, the hardcore has no hint and skip buttons and you can change them mid game.

If you were playing hardcore I could imagine you not liking the hint if you just wanted to use the transporter map, as the coloured icons indicating you could or not do something in an area didn’t go away on hardcore. Also in HO scenes and in adventure there still was black bar tips. I liked the information and some comments but if they had separated out the tips for hardcore players it would have been better, although it wasn’t bad compared to other games.

to be continued -

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 14, 12 10:56 PM
continued -

They didn’t have any black bar tips for the puzzles in both middle and hardcore gameplay, which was great. If you wanted a hint on the objective of a puzzle you had to hit the ‘I’ button which brought it up.
The hint button SE players will love as it basically is a spoiler as to what to do next. I didn’t use it as it was too helpful, and if I wanted a hint I just looked at the map.
It's not like surface mystery of another world were every new chapter is brand new and you never go back to old areas. Although most of the play you kept to new areas you discovered.

HIDDEN OBJECT SCENES

17 hidden object scenes well spaced out, non were repeated but they were mainly far too cluttered/junk pile for my taste. While most of the game and even HOS were sharp quite a few objects weren’t as sharp and could have been better*. While there weren’t tiny items some were small and others blended but not super hard to find. I did find sometimes some of the items weren’t as well done as others (looked flat and not well integrated).
I loved the non random click penalty and there was two scenes one all gold, and one all blue/silver which were good and I loved the shop window scene most of all. Sadly they were only mildly interactive.

PUZZLES

No handholding, but help if you wanted it (press ‘i’) Mostly unoriginal and on the easy side but they were beautiful and well done, making even the easy ones enjoyable. Non were mind boringly easy and there were quite a lot of puzzles but were well spaced. There were a couple of trickier ones thrown in. For my taste they were mostly too easy but I loved the amount of them.

Ending for main game – If you were a SE player you may think you would know what the bonus plot would be and might feel the story wasn’t complete. But the bonus plot doesn’t go where you think it would, so it doesn’t finish one side of the story either.

TIME - Took me 4hrs 45mins on middle setting but I didn't skip any puzzles
(I tell you to help you guage how long it might take you if you played on casual etc) And I really stop and smell the roses especially on elephant games.

TBC-

Edited on 06/14/2012 at 11:03:43 PM PST

Go to: