[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 17, 12 5:53 AM

Edited on 06/18/2012 at 1:20:21 AM PST

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

Re:Reviews for 1 Moment of Time: Silentville

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jun 17, 12 8:20 AM
I don’t know if 2Monkeys is a new developer or simply one I haven’t heard of yet but I love their hidden object scenes. There are so many interactive items & many of them are like a little mini puzzle to try & solve. Apart from the excellent H0s there are some mini games but they are few & far between, there was one where you had to ‘throw’ balls into baskets, I could not get the balls to move anywhere so ended up skipping.

In each scene there is usually at least one task to perform & these were excellent; some took quite a bit of thinking about to solve. Many were along the lines of a ‘chemical’ experiment in that you had to find different objects & put them together in a specific order. As you might imagine with so many tasks you will end up with a rather full inventory.

You get a diary which does contain some helpful clues (for some odd reason it also says task list but there isn’t one) & a little way into the game you get a map; it is interactive between areas but not scenes. This is really useful as there are a lot of places to visit. One thing that really annoyed me was the doors which are everywhere; they open automatically if your mouse gets close so there is the constant sound of them opening & closing at times.

The cut scenes are unusual; rather than being fully fledged pictures they show the type of work the artists used to create the game scenery & I really enjoyed them. The voiceovers are good but not clickable so you either have to sit through them or skip altogether but if you do you will miss the story. I was fooled in the very first scene as after the prologue I went into ‘click’ mode to find where to go; nothing happened & I was wondering what I had done wrong when a pair of hands appeared on screen. It seems I was too eager to start or perhaps the gameplay is a little slow.

The graphics are average; a little blurred in places, the artwork good although I did find some of the scenes rather dark. There are two modes of play; casual with a 35 second hint recharge & lots of sparkles/glints to point you in the right direction or challenge with a 70 second hint & sparkles only for the H0 scenes. The hint is useful as it will take you directly to the location of the next necessary action.

All in all a good game with a great many puzzles/tasks to solve; there are some flaws but don’t let that put you off if you want to give your brain a workout.

linda43416
Guppy
Guppy
143 Posts

[Post New]by linda43416 on Jun 17, 12 8:58 AM
Have to agree about the font being hard to read, have to squint quite alot! I didn't care for the game at first but once into it and getting used to the game play I began to get hooked. Didn't notice too many gliches, no widescreen for me either. Some objects have to be cklicked right on, probably could benefit from a little polishing! Will buy, especially since it is a sale and still have half off credits, can't beat that combo!

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jun 17, 12 12:59 PM
I do not recommend this game for fun or adventure. Just to combersome and irratating small objects and game freezes up at certain points. This game is just not up to standards and I would save my money on this one. Too many technical issues and hidden objects are way too small. This game is not up to standards.

bjmusic
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by bjmusic on Jun 17, 12 6:26 PM
Review based on demo and a tad more after I snapped up this well done game during the buy 1 get one weekend. I played in challenge mode.

Along with others, I also liked this game. I rely heavily on Valdy, Cherb and all the interesting folks with great stuff to say, and rarely review unless there are points that I find unique or really appealing. The biggy for me - a sense of humor in spades. I love the mini-game where the little train makes a crashing sound until you build its tracks - it cracked me up.

VISUAL:
The artwork is so detailed you can see every plank on the train track at the opening train station scene. From what I've seen so far, even the darkest areas are detailed and visible.

One of my notes was "nice font" and I had no problem reading it.

AUDIO:
Voice-overs are really good. Really won me over with the 'old storyteller' voice that introduced the game. Felt I should turn off the lights and sit by the fireplace to listen - like huddling around the radio to hear a mystery story (did I say that?).

I'm really picky about music used and usually turn it off or waaay down out of frustration, but this one is not bad at all.

The environmental background is also well done. The sounds and actions go well together and are not intrusive, grating or too repetitive.

GAME PLAY:
Quick fill hint which transports you to the place you need to go - nice touch.

Lately some developers have made it difficult to leave close up scenes. Either they don't close when you click outside the scene and make you use the "X" icon, or have the scene so close to the bottom of the screen that the inventory keeps popping up or backs you completely out of the room. This game does not do that - cursor movement is very precise and easy.

Here is the wow factor: For those who do not like boring, easy, uninspired HO scenes, this one's for you. Calling this game interactive is an understatement. It raises the bar on creativity. Thank heavens the developers hold your hand a bit, 'cause I would have been lost on what to do and where to go. Each HOS is an adventure that invites you to roll your cursor around the scene and take in all there is to see. What fun.

JUST FINISHED:
Yay, yay and yay to the developers for being responsive to players and giving us a quick patch. Good Developers . And we got closure in the game with a sweet ending. More soon, please. B

Edited on 06/22/2012 at 12:48:35 PM PST

kaitlinn
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by kaitlinn on Jun 17, 12 7:04 PM
I loved this game!!
Aside from the technical issues (game ending at fridge puzzle), which was fixed with the reinstall, this was one of the most enjoyable HOGS I have played in a long time. I love adventure games, but I hate hidden object scenes, which in my opinion are not very challenging and seem more like "busy work"; the part of the game you just want to get over with! The HOS in this game were really creative and made you think. I actually looked forward to them in this game

The puzzles were challenging, but not too difficult, and I love PIPES! (There were lotsa pipe puzzles.) Play time was decent; not too short, and I was actually wishing it was a CE so I could have a bonus game.

I will definitely keep an eye out for other games from this developer

GO YOU TWO MONKEYS!

leyahn
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by leyahn on Jun 17, 12 9:03 PM
I absolutely adore this game.

The music is reminiscent of Professor Layton games - I found myself bouncing my head in time with it.

The voice overs, along with the drawn scenes that accompany have an old world tone and look to them which is very enchanting.

The graphics in the game are clear, crisp, and very detailed.

I am playing in challenge mode - the only drawback for me, is still the sparkles for the HOG scenes. Oh, but what a delight those are - very interactive, and keep me thinking. The cursor does change form when crossing over an interactive item - so they are not too hard - but fun, fun, fun. Things to open, things to combine, and little gems of humor within the scenes. SPOILER .... put the volume on when you put the lipstick on the mannequin in the boutique .... sure bet for a chuckle. Oh, and changes made in the scenes seem to carryover the next time you visit the same scene - kudos for continuity. I actually am looking forward to the HOG scenes, whereas recently, in other games, I am beginning to groan at the thought of another one.

I have had no problem reading the font on the items list and found them easy to read.

The story is intriguing - different from the norm - and I can't wait to find out what exactly is going on in Silentville.

The map is interactive in that it will transport you to different locations. As a plus, it is very well drawn carrying the art of the game into it.

Hint button recharges more slowly in Challenge mode, but I like the bonus of it taking you to where you need to be.

There are "hints" that pop up across the top when you click on something in a scene, but I still find myself puzzled as to what to do next.

Overall, a really delightful game that I can't wait to play more tomorrow. As it well past my bedtime here.

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jun 18, 12 10:09 AM
This is a definite buy for me. I really enjoyed the trial. I enjoyed the spin on the HOS's in that you have to combine two or three items in order to complete them. The voice-overs are well done. The graphics are nice. Understandably dark but then so is the story. Very nice!

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Jun 18, 12 12:33 PM
I have been so hooked on this game, I was up until 3 AM this morning playing it and was back at it the minute I woke up. I just ended playing as I hit the Fridge Magnet glitch which punted me out, came here and see there is an update for it. Yay!

The graphics on this game are the clearest and best I have seen in ages. I have a crappy monitor and yet it is almost photographic. I smiled many times as I pulled up a new area, and even went "Wow!" once or twice. There are mini puzzles which are actually new and fresh.

I adore the fact that the HOG scenes require you to take 2 things and join them to complete the clue. It makes you think! It's a nice change not to just sit and click click click. I really feel like I have to work as I go through the game and I love the creativity.

The hint button will transport you to the place that you need to do something (unless the thing to do is in the room you're in...) which is nice. I like that it puts me where I need to be and let's me continue to root around. The map is gorgeous!

Two complaints, voiced by others, too: the font in the list doesn't show up well against the dark background. Don't forget, some of us are Old and don't have the eyes of a 20 year old.

The cut scenes and story are neat, and but it would be more perfecter (yes, that's a word...) if we could click on them to hurry it up or pass. I read a lot faster than the character is talking and sometimes it really takes a long time. The only option now is to totally skip these, so a happy medium would be great.

Ditto on the window that drops down with the text on it, telling you what to do or putting its 2 cents in. Many times it never pops back up so blocks the scene. I clicked back out, then back in to lose this text screen. It'd be nice if it popped back up when you clicked it.
I LOVE this game. I have grown bored and tired of HOGS and the same ol' same ol'...I find this game to be a 1 Moment of Fresh Air.
Hugs to all!

JackiS
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by JackiS on Jun 18, 12 1:14 PM
I have to add my two cents here. I've completed the game in less than 3 hours - always a bad sign, since I'm not a particularly fast player. The HOS are great, but there aren't many of them and the rest of the game leaves much to be desired. I immediately uninstalled it after playing, and wish I hadn't wasted a credit.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Jun 18, 12 2:32 PM
I am enjoying this game. It doesn't have widescreen for me, but oh well. I am having no problem reading the font on the h0 scenes and the graphics are crystal clear. The storyline is a little hard for me to follow, probably because I am old, but also I may not be playing the game in the right order. All and all I am glad I spent a pcc and now, back to the game!

Robcol
Minnow
Minnow
207 Posts

[Post New]by Robcol on Jun 18, 12 5:02 PM
Thank you for the update, it is very frustrating to come to the near end of a game and have it hang up.

I liked this game a lot, there was great variety it took new leaps in the hog scenario. The artistry was a delight and the graphic great.
Thank you for this little game.

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jun 19, 12 5:10 AM
This game should be the game of the year, I hope the DEV's come out with more games like this one wow! Thx DEV's for all your many hours and hard work on this game..Plz have more games soon like this one i have enjoyed many hours of fun..
Sounds and graphics are awesome and so clear..Kuddo's to you DEV's and thx BF..

janierae
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by janierae on Jun 19, 12 8:16 AM
Just finished the game in expert mode. It was fun, especially the HOS. Those were fantastic! After the update it worked fine for me. I thought it worth the money. I especially liked the voice overs and the music. 4 Stars!

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Jun 19, 12 2:51 PM
Just finished this clever game. Really liked the fact that it wasn't at all like other games we've played. Puzzles were different, ho scenes were definately different - much to do which was a pleasant surprise. Hope we'll get another game in the future by these developers. 4 stars in my book.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 19, 12 3:30 PM

YAY~!!!! I bought this and am now way into the game and just want to put in my 2 cents worth:

This is definitely a DIFFERENT game at last... one that is a little bit mystery, adventure, whimsey, just a tad spooky, and NO occult at all and lots of fun to play1

I loved everything (except the font.... I agree, blended with the background too much and the script made it rather difficult to read; I also thought the bwa haha voice was kind of corny) and the main story mission may have been better off being told upfront rather than way into the game at the point where you meet the man in the mansion.

Yet OVERALL I am just LOVING THIS GAME!... the graphics are pleasant, music nice, the actions required are rewarding and sensible and the story was not all doom and gloom.

Hope this dev moves into a more solid story and keeps it's upbeat approach... we need more games of this kind!!

PS: Oh, almost forgot to mention, the H0G scenes were SO unique and fun... I actually enjoyed them instead of moaning, lol.

also.... to adapt to widescreen, I simply put my resolution to 1024 x 726... worked like a charm and filled up the screen w/o any change in clarity to my eyes.

PPS: Just finished ! ~ I LOVED THIS GAME!!!! Almost like a fable and the ending ~ WOW I just loved seeing the town back in sync and happy in their daily lives having learned a good life's lesson. KUDOS!! MORE LIKE THIS ONE!

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 3:55:31 PM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 19, 12 3:31 PM
lovely62 wrote:This game should be the game of the year, I hope the DEV's come out with more games like this one wow! Thx DEV's for all your many hours and hard work on this game..Plz have more games soon like this one i have enjoyed many hours of fun..
Sounds and graphics are awesome and so clear..Kuddo's to you DEV's and thx BF..

I agree!!!

alekann
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by alekann on Jun 19, 12 6:27 PM
LOVED this game, better than most CE's and especially with such a quick "glitch" fix. Played w/o knowing there was a problem even needing an update, during play I was "kicked out", then saw in BF Manager that an update was there, downloaded and was back on my way with maybe 2 minutes lost of game play to repeat. KUDOS! Have spent money on at least 3-4 CE's (VERY RECENTLY) still hoping for fixes that don't come. Way to go 2 Monkeys, will buy every game you put out. So different, loved the HOG scenes, so much more amusing, just can't say enough - keep up the good work BFG, a real winner!

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 6:32:42 PM PST

jjj13
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by jjj13 on Jun 20, 12 3:04 PM
What a great game despite the glitches mentioned above. Far better than some of the CE games I have played. Congratulations to the developers and hope to play some more of your games soon.

rubywilms
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by rubywilms on Jun 20, 12 7:33 PM

Edited on 06/21/2012 at 6:03:39 AM PST

Go to: