Reviews for Shaban

Re:Reviews for Shaban

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 19, 12 5:36 PM
I tried to like this game, I really did. I like cartoon graphics and adventure games, but tis game is almost impossible for me to play. Getting around is a chore. Sorry it is a no buy for me. You may like it though

[Post New]by sissyl on Jun 19, 12 7:26 PM
i will give this a big fish down what is wrong with you ppl this is just stupid ,

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Jun 19, 12 9:42 PM
sunnyglow wrote:I really tried to like this game, since we have not had anything that I wanted to play since last week's CE. However, this is one of the worst games I have ever played. Sorry, I see some are raving about this game. I personally don't understand it. I just don't like it. Hard to navigate and confusing to me. Sorry, a no buy for me even with the coupons I possess. Edited to state that this game is from Sweden not Iran. To me, this is definitely not political because I have friends from Sweden. I just don't like the game and I refuse to make devs feel good because they are new. No smiley faces here for an inferior game. I am a teacher and I believe in not rewarding bad work or bad behavior. Not going to rave about an inferior product. Sorry!
Actually the game is from developers in Tehran, Iran. There is an article in the Tehran Times about it. Anyway . . . . . . I am thinking of buying the game because the sheep are just so cute, even with one eye so much larger than the other one. Shaban has the same "one eye bigger than the other" that his sheep do. I do have a game credit I have been saving for something unique and different, and this game looks like it just might fit the bill.

Anya419
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by Anya419 on Jun 19, 12 9:58 PM
I was absolutely blown away by this game. It is so unique in its style and art that the art alone is worth the money. I found it refreshing to see an unusual story told very "non-virtual" with drawings that you knew were hand drawn and took an extensive amount of time and ability by the artist.

I have found it a bit of a challange, using hints as I go along, but only because I wanted to see what happens next.

I also collect and love sheep. This made the game tug at my heartstrings with its story and eastern-influenced music, combined with the amazing drawings that pull you into the game, not even realizing you are playing a game. It is more like reading a book.

I highly recommend this to anyone who wants to get away from the "virtual world" HOGs and adventure games with the similar, repetative logic puzzles and wants a different, more simply constructed, but very challenging adventure without dramatic blood and guts.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 20, 12 3:59 AM
This was not a short game, over 4 hrs for me and could have been 5 (I was taking notes at the time so it's hard to gauge also I am USELESS at arcade style games so takes me ages, also included is 20+ mins stuck on a puzzle).

If you are familiar with machinarium type games then you will 'get' this game. It's a quirky adventure with a few silhouette fragmented object hidden object scenes. (all the HOS are this type) You play as Shaban a shepherd whose sheep have been stolen by bandits, one has been left behind and you go off to try and find them. Play switches between the sheep left behind and Shaban.

If you don't click on the keep ratio button you don't get black bar on your fullscreen.

There is a hint button on HOS (takes a minute to charge and it's on the inventory bar) as well as a hint button on puzzles, (takes 2 mins to charge) there is a skip button (4 mins to charge). Although later in the game a couple of puzzles didn't have the skip button.

The HOS have moving scenes - just keep your curser at edge of screen, and are interactive. If you are a straight HOPA or HOG player you will find them very different than what you are used to. Some of the scenes have a type of puzzle in them - find an animal that keeps moving when you click on them. There is a seperate hint button (bottom right) showing you all the location. Even with that, sometimes it was very hard to find the very small part of that animal.

If you are not used to this type of game it does take a while to get used to but you are really rewarded with a very enjoyable, quirky adventure.

I love that your brain is made to think and that puzzles there is an actual hint button. Forget about what you think a hint button is, here it actually gives you that - just a hint. While sometimes it gives you the objective, other times it made you think and I loved that, even though my brain didn't work in one puzzle!

There is no dialogue or diary but instead the story is told in picture dialogue and cartoon style cut scenes.

PUZZLES

The puzzles did repeat themselves and were a variety of hardness and type. But some were unique, others a very nice twist on them - like the jigsaw which sometimes became another interactive puzzle.

There was an arcade fishing type game - very clever but hard (for me!) There was two arcade style shooting type (timed) puzzles. They repeated the "match one coloured end to the other coloured end" a few times.

TBC

Edited on 06/22/2012 at 6:49:55 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 20, 12 4:01 AM
continued

I love quirky adventure style games like this and I think it's a new developer - PETAGAME and I wish them well and can't wait for their next game.

While one puzzle had me stumped (I actually was making it harder than it was and I still would have been stumped if not for kriss cross 48)

- if you are used to this kind of game
it wasn't a pull your hair out adventure but very straightforward, which I like. It also had a transporter map (but backtracking was very minimum)

cons -

-There weren't skip bitton on some jigsaws and another puzzle so if people don't like them you are stuck on them.

- Some writing on the cutscenes didn't make sense but you got the gist of it.

- repeating some puzzles, I really wish they didn't do this.

So if you are looking for something different, quirky and really well done then do try it out.

Edited on 06/22/2012 at 6:49:14 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 20, 12 4:36 AM
Crazy, quirky beautiful graphics. Story to melt the hardest hearts. Perfect navigation, albeit you have to wait for the character to walk there, but only takes a couple of secs. Challenging, with no hand-holding. Great music. Really completely different puzzles never seen before. Head-scratching for me, but I managed, with help. Every time I did manage something, I was struck by how ingenious this game is. It does not necessarily follow the logic we are used to, but it does have cohesion, once you understand it.

Absolutely loved it, even though it had me stumped a lot of times. If it had not been for the help from the forum, I doubt I would have finished it. But I did and I think it is wonderful, from new devs who have flair, imagination and immense artistic talent.

Loved the adorable sheep, just wanted to find them all and take them home. Terrific cut-scenes. Lots of giggles and laughter and some tears at the beginning.

These guys should be immensely proud of this work. It shows just what can be achieved if you think outside the box instead of just following the time-warn patterns of same old same old.

I give it a 10/10. Top notch.

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jun 20, 12 6:38 AM
I lasted less than 5 minutes. I'm just not good enough at this kind of game to play with no hints. Also the artwork was not to my taste.

Audreyrpeters
Minnow
Minnow
210 Posts

[Post New]by Audreyrpeters on Jun 20, 12 7:32 AM
Game is quite different. No language barrier as there is no written or spoken except OMG. :-)

I finished the game but was left with "Thats It?!?" Game was incredibly short. Did not need to go out and look for hints anywhere outside the game. All puzzles are fairly easily solvable, once you get accustomed to the style of the game. I don't think I skipped any puzzles, but I did need the hint much of the time. Items in the HO scenes are REALLY hard to find. I used an average of 1 or two hints per scene. Some items are hidden behind the 3Dness of the scrolling.

Even though it was really short I liked the interface and the game.

quaifen
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by quaifen on Jun 20, 12 8:37 AM
I love this cute little game, but at my age I cannot buy these types of games without a walkthru, hope one will be out soon, and then I will purchase the game, have fun with this game thinkers.

[Post New]by veronique875 on Jun 20, 12 10:13 AM
Oddly enough I cannot play this game because this "kind of 3 dimensional world" where the characters walk toward and away makes me seasick. Just in case anyone else has the same problem.

[Post New]by raynestormrn on Jun 20, 12 11:18 AM
overall enjoyable game, not too easy and not too hard. Just a bit too short. (hint of length is like others commented, after about five, ten minutes demo is over). Length of game is my only complaint.

emmydog
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by emmydog on Jun 20, 12 1:49 PM
This game had me at the first Shaban/sheep reunion. The graphics are cartoonish which is a nice change from the usual games. Some puzzles are repeated but of varying difficulty. There's a few real head-scratchers in there.

I really enjoyed this game and look forward to more from this developer!

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Jun 20, 12 7:52 PM
I love the artwork of this game and the idea of helping cute little Shaban find his adorable lost/stolen sheep but am on the fence whether or not I will buy. On the pro side are the artwork and storyline and I like the idea of having to try and figure things out logically.

But the trial was so short with so little help that I just never got a feel for the game - as soon as I got started the trial came to an end. I'm just afraid of getting, "burned" with a game that either gets incredibly difficult or just ends too soon afterward...

So I guess I'll just have to wait and see...

jennylou21
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by jennylou21 on Jun 20, 12 9:58 PM
sorry.not for me,didnt like it.but i do love most bf games..

[Post New]by adventure_gamer on Jun 21, 12 12:10 AM
Shaban Game has its own specific style rather than other bfg games. This means it is somehow like machinarium game.

If you are looking for a different experience of a game which is not similar to recent similar same- class games you can head forward to play this game.

It should to be said that the game demo is short but the game itself is not actually short. I myself finished it after 5 hours of gaming, And also I am an intermediate player.

Game graphics and art is special and nice .The puzzle in which should be connected wires together is a hook but I really loved its action puzzles. This game is lot fun and amazing. The actions for the final boss of game is super and also game ended so sudden!!

[Post New]by agrrlnamedkim on Jun 21, 12 7:10 AM
<a href=http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/214194.page>[Removed by Moderator]</a>

W.o.w.

Edited on 06/30/2012 at 7:58:55 AM PST

Fun but looks very Short

[Post New]by Mystery_Fan on Jun 23, 12 6:43 AM
These types of games are fun (like Tiny Bang Story), but this one appears to be quite short. It took me only 30 minutes to complete the demo which got me through chapter 1 and there are only 5 chapters - so I would expect the game to take 2.5 hours. I'll wait for a game sale or Daily Deal.

jodysan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by jodysan on Jun 23, 12 6:01 PM
Wonderful game but way too short. Hope that there is another one and that it is longer.

318Pisces
Clownfish
Clownfish
642 Posts

[Post New]by 318Pisces on Jun 24, 12 10:47 PM

Edited on 06/25/2012 at 1:22:44 AM PST

Go to: