CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

Re:Comments for Sister's Secrecy: Arcanum Bloodlines Collector's Edition

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jun 21, 12 8:14 AM
je_peche wrote:Wow fishies: Really?

I'm finding this game to be boring and far too easy. I'm confused about what I'm supposed to do with all the coins I've amassed - it looks like I'm just "buying" the concept art and some different music, instead of unlocking that content at the end as usual. Is that so, or am I missing something? Am I supposed to be buying stuff that will progress the game?

It's very rare that I don't feel like completing a CE, but this one is sort of "blah" for me.

-Pam

Excactly Je-peche! This game is boring. It does pufff! to me. Just a storm in a glass of water.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Jun 21, 12 8:18 AM
This game reminds me of the old type adventure games with HOscenes thrown in. Very clunky on my computer anyway. Beautiful graphics but throw your common sense out the window * woman tells you to leave, then asks you to do stuff for her* the flow of this story is very strange

Janie42
Clownfish
Clownfish
598 Posts

[Post New]by Janie42 on Jun 21, 12 8:46 AM
Bought & based on 1.5 hours on Hardcore, I'm sadly not finding game particularly creative or ovely exciting so far. Pretty, yes; innovative, not so much so. It's still early, so hopefully game will pick up.

I really do like being able to do match-3 instead of hos, & cutscenes are lovely & voiceovers excellent. It's just the storyline seems so cliche thus far: an evil secret society, a kidnapped twin (an orphan too) & me... the person upon whose shoulders the fate of the entire world rests.

So far it's just a nice 3.5 stars worth game IMHO... Will update as I progress.

Updated: it has picked up!
It's gotten rather interesting, the backstory's ramped up & I'm meeting some neat characters, seeing some great sceneries & having quite a decent quest on hardcore--not silly hard, just a nice bit of challenge that's gotten really fun! Dev creativity is now showing up nearly everywhere--in the level architecture, what needs doing, the puzzles.
I love the 'no toolbar hints/tips' option. Also, the Match 3 is very well made & it's a sweet feature being able to immediately replay any hos/match 3 to catch the 3 coins.

Downsides are Diary has some rubbish grammar/syntax in places & Strategy Guide does not seem to show locations of all purple flowers??

Edited on 06/21/2012 at 7:17:34 PM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jun 21, 12 8:59 AM
Cliched or not, I enjoy these games. If I want reality, I have it, for real. If I want in depth, fully fleshed out storylines, I read a novel. I play these games for fun and relaxation, and am able to over look some things that drive some of y'all crazy, lol.

This one fills my wide screen, and my only complaint so far, 12 minutes into the game, is when I exit, I don't want to watch a trailer. I exited to buy and was forced to wait until all of these scenes played out. That always irks me. When I say exit, that is exactly what I mean. And one other thing, I clicked on the first purple flower, but it is still there. Thought it would disappear, as the pouch appeared, but nope, I still see the flower. Will see what happens...off to play some more.

eta: The flowers stay open, yes. I finished the game and was a bit disappointed in it. The mechanics of the game left something to be desired. Had to be exact in what you were doing or it would give you a no no message. Sometimes, the CE just isn't worthy, and I don't think this one was. I managed it anyway, but it just didn't satisfy my hunger. Hope the devs do better next time.

Edited on 06/22/2012 at 10:39:05 AM PST

je_peche
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by je_peche on Jun 21, 12 10:54 AM
Wolfen:

The flower "blooms" and remains where it is. I still haven't figured out what good the coins are except to purchase concept art and audio, neither of which I care about.

Pam

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Jun 21, 12 11:10 AM
SPOILER!!!

I agree with Je totally. This game I was not impressed. The endings on both counts weren't nothing to write home about and the bonus Oh wow boy climbs down the window and here comes mommy & Reginald. Game over Wow. Good thing I only bought this game with the 2 credits I had from the sale. I would have been ticked to pay $13.99 for this.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jun 21, 12 3:20 PM
I think I'll wait for the SE Version. The game seems to be worth the CE price, but I am amassing too many coupon codes and BF hasn't offered any decent games except for SE versions of CE games. Since I have been buying the CE versions I have nothing to use the coupons on before they expire.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 21, 12 3:41 PM
CasualGran wrote:
Sheerija wrote:Beautiful graphics, wonderful characters, interesting story though not new, lovely piano music and all in all, quite intriguing. Haven't come across any puzzles yet, but the HOS are sharp and clear and quite uncluttered, so enjoying those. They're also interactive, which I like.

As usual I am plagued by lagging but that cannot be resolved until I can get rid of Norton, so I am trying to ignore it.

Looking avidly for purple flowers to earn coins to spend in the shop. Nice touch. I achieved quite a lot in the 1 hr demo, so there's obviously plenty to do to keep my attention focused. Cannot see this turning out to be a disappointment, though anything's possible.

Yes, indeed, a definite buy.

Why blame it on Norton? DH and I have Norton 360 for years now and never experienced any 'lagging' in games because of that.

I have it from a fish with much knowledge and personal experience that Norton is intrusive and jealously guards my computer, and anything it dislikes, it interferes with. Same fish states that upon leaving Norton for another security system, problem stopped. For me, this is not yet proven, until I can experience it for myself, but it does have a ring of truth. There has to be a reason why some get severe lagging in certain games and others, in the same game, do not, and vice versa. The jury is still out on the reason for this. Until such time as it is explained, I will continue to explore all avenues.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jun 21, 12 6:00 PM
I just finished the game but I'm not playing the bonus content right now because my eyes are tired so I'll come back tommorrow. Great game by the way. Cheers BF.

Srutko1226
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Srutko1226 on Jun 21, 12 6:06 PM
I wasn't impressed with this game....Buying something that every other CE gives already is weird. Now extra game play would have been cool.

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Jun 21, 12 7:40 PM
I was "on the fence" about this game most of the day. Finally,I figured if I had to really think about it that hard, I probably shouldn't buy it, and I usually buy CE games. It seemed very simple to me, and not that exciting. And the coins--what is the point with the coins? If they were to be used to "buy" something you needed in the game, ie, Merchant of Venice, then I could understand. But to "buy" wallpapers, music, etc., I don't think so. I'll pass on the one.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 22, 12 12:39 AM
Hello, SiblingLilly and welcome to the pond. You may have already read this in the reviews thread, but I had to remove it because we are not allowed to use that thread for this type of thing. These posts belong here only, in the comments thread.

I am going to leave it to someone else to fill you in about reviews here as opposed to those on the main page. Personally, I do not post there because I cannot see the point. The developers have access to these forum reviews if they want to see how their game is being received, as does anyone else, member or no. At least, the developers who work for BFG do. Not sure about those who do not. I was once asked by a developer to post there, which I did, but other than that it seems rather pointless. However, having said that, others may feel differently and you will more than likely receive responses to your post from others better able to explain, since you are new here.

The actual reason I responded to your post is that if you are looking for a really good game to get started with you cannot do better than Royal Detective Lord of Statues CE. If you go to the forum review for this game you will see nothing but raves about it. It really is excellent. In my book, even though we are only 6 months in, it is by far the best game this year.

You can also check out reviews for it on the main page.

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jun 22, 12 12:47 AM
Sheerija wrote:
CasualGran wrote:
Sheerija wrote:Beautiful graphics, wonderful characters, interesting story though not new, lovely piano music and all in all, quite intriguing. Haven't come across any puzzles yet, but the HOS are sharp and clear and quite uncluttered, so enjoying those. They're also interactive, which I like.

As usual I am plagued by lagging but that cannot be resolved until I can get rid of Norton, so I am trying to ignore it.

Looking avidly for purple flowers to earn coins to spend in the shop. Nice touch. I achieved quite a lot in the 1 hr demo, so there's obviously plenty to do to keep my attention focused. Cannot see this turning out to be a disappointment, though anything's possible.

Yes, indeed, a definite buy.

Why blame it on Norton? DH and I have Norton 360 for years now and never experienced any 'lagging' in games because of that.

I have it from a fish with much knowledge and personal experience that Norton is intrusive and jealously guards my computer, and anything it dislikes, it interferes with. Same fish states that upon leaving Norton for another security system, problem stopped. For me, this is not yet proven, until I can experience it for myself, but it does have a ring of truth. There has to be a reason why some get severe lagging in certain games and others, in the same game, do not, and vice versa. The jury is still out on the reason for this. Until such time as it is explained, I will continue to explore all avenues.

I understand completely what you're saying. Sometimes another program on your pc can interfere negatively with others. And Norton is known to be a very strong security program. But as I said, I'm already using it for years and it's my personal security favorite! Funny, isn't it? I've tried so many security suites but I'm always coming back to Norton. To me it's just the best all over. Maybe you can talk about your lagging problems with the Norton/Symantec helpdesk? I mostly choose to chat with them, if I have a question, and they're always very helpfull and clear in theit answers. Maybe they can help you out also. I sincerely hope so.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 22, 12 2:10 AM
CasualGran, thanks for the suggestion but I think if I did that Norton would hotly deny it, and maybe rightly so. As I said, it has not been proven. I will just stick to my plan to wait for my subscription with them to expire and then switch to another security system, so that I can see for myself if this is the case.

But thanks anyway.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 22, 12 5:13 AM
Another fantastic game! No use giving any sort of review as there are many already.

Really loved knowing how long it took to do the HOS!! There is so much to do in this I know just from the demo that I will be buying it ASAP

GREAT JOB DEVS!! WOULD LOVE TO SEE MORE LIKE THIS!!

rosiebvt
Manatee
Manatee
4,210 Posts

[Post New]by rosiebvt on Jun 22, 12 6:28 PM
Sheerija,
I don't know what version of Norton you have but mine has a "quiet mode". You right click on the Norton icon on the taskbar and select Turn On Silent Mode, then how long you want it for. This will prevent Norton from doing optional tasks for the time you've selected. It really speeds things up on my older computer. Hope this helps.
RosieBVT

Sheerija wrote:As usual I am plagued by lagging but that cannot be resolved until I can get rid of Norton, so I am trying to ignore it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 23, 12 11:20 AM
The following is copied from the Reviews thread:

Mystery_Fan wrote:How long did the main game take? I loved the trial hour I played, and am thinking about purchasing the CE, IF the main game lasts at least 4 hours. Thanks!

Valdy wrote:I have now finished the game, and am very happy with it.

I also very much enjoyed the bonus game, which took me 50 minutes to play....

Hi Mystery_Fan...

I never look at the clock to see when I start and when I finish. Also, I rarely play a game all the way through in one sitting, but often take 2 or even 3 days. So I can't tell you how long I took.

Also, everybody plays at a different speed. Me, I like to take my time - smell the roses on the way, so to speak - and take often longer than other gamers. So my speed isn't necessarily your speed.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 23, 12 11:00 PM
rosiebvt wrote:Sheerija,
I don't know what version of Norton you have but mine has a "quiet mode". You right click on the Norton icon on the taskbar and select Turn On Silent Mode, then how long you want it for. This will prevent Norton from doing optional tasks for the time you've selected. It really speeds things up on my older computer. Hope this helps.
RosieBVT

Sheerija wrote:As usual I am plagued by lagging but that cannot be resolved until I can get rid of Norton, so I am trying to ignore it.

Rosie, thank you for that. I was unaware of it. Haven't tried it yet as I'm not playing anything, but I will when I have a game that lags, and see what happens.

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Jun 24, 12 2:30 AM
Just finished and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it. Like Valdy I never rush through a game especially with graphics like this to savour.

I will just go and see what today has to offer.

Happy Sunday everyone.

Linda

nanaseaweed
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by nanaseaweed on Jun 24, 12 10:45 AM
One of the best games in my opinion. The music was beautiful and the graphics were just great! I love the fantasy scenes ...I loved the whole thing. Thanks BFG! :thumbup :

Go to: