Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Sister's Secrecy: Arcanum Bloodlines Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 21, 12 10:08 AM
Just wanted to say that the SG always kept pace with me. It was always open on a page where I was in the game.

I am very much enjoying this game. I really like the graphics, and didn't find the HOS all the same. Also, the HOS in this game have the rare clear and clean graphics I so like when I play the HOS. I prefer them easy. I prefer to be able to see clearly where the objects are and what they are. And this game gives this to me.

Of course, not everyone has the same taste, so naturally not everyone will like this game. I love it. I love the characters and voices and HOS and the gameplay on the whole.

Yes, the flowers you need to find are small, but they are clearly shown, being the only ones of the purple variety.

The only thing I am disappointed with is the reason for collecting and spending coins. I had hoped to be able to buy magic with it, for instance. So when I saw that I was only able to buy the bonus content with it - so to speak - it really defeated its purpose for me. I am not interested in the artwork or music, so for me this was a bit of a let-down.

Forgot to say: Someone mentioned "timed HOS": Well, they aren't timed. But the faster you play them, the more coins you earn. That's all it is. When you are done with a HOS, you will see 3 coins, and it will tell you how long you took to play the HOS, and depending on how fast you were, you will get either 1 or 2 or all 3 coins.
I think that is a nice feature for those gamers who do like to have a bit of a challenge when it comes to speed. And the nice thing about this is that if you want have been a bit slow but want to get all 3 coins, you can redo whichever HOS you want.
But for those of us who prefer to take it easy, we don't have to speed through the HOS.

Edited on 06/21/2012 at 11:07:20 AM PST

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jun 21, 12 10:26 AM
I've never understood the access to artwork and music myself. Does anyone just love a game so much that it becomes their wallpaper? I don't. Not that the artwork isn't stunning in some cases, I'm just rarely so enamored that I must see it every day. But I think it's a cool forum for the artists to do a little peacocking, as they should. That being said, I totally agree buying magic with the coins would have been awesome! Very cool idea. I did really like what I saw in the demo, though. HOS's were well done. The flowers were a bit of a search once or twice. It's a nice twist on the more frequent 'someone I love is missing' story. Really? Who doesn't love a dragon and flying harpies with ****'n talons? This a buy for me!

pjhundt
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by pjhundt on Jun 21, 12 1:57 PM
govols2 wrote:

The HOG scenes were easy IMO. Everything was spread out nicely but still had a little trouble on a couple of items. My one pet peeve though is that on returning to the same scene for another HOG the items I found previous were back. There seems to be quite a bit of HOG scenes as well. The mini games are not difficult either.

I couldn't agree more! It seems lazy on the developers part to have the same items in the HOS every time you return, and there should always be maps!

I also have a complaint about the sound. I love background noises; rain, thunder, owls, etc. I don't care for music, voices, or perky little clicks every time I locate a Hidden Object. Why, oh why, can't those be separate from each other??

This game didn't draw me in until the last 5 minutes, and even that was iffy. Possible buy on the SE, definately not on the CE.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jun 21, 12 2:18 PM
Just got done playing demo and it really didn't do much in wanting me to buy it. Story was a little far fetched with dragons that talk etc. Guess some fishes would enjoy but I thought it boring. Gaphics were ok and music was like you were in fairyland. Puzzles were ok and had hints that reloaded fast. Just not something I would buy. So I give it a thumbs down.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jun 21, 12 4:47 PM
Annie - yep some of us are that enamoured with the art - I currently rotate 14 different wallpaper pics from various CE's as my desktop.

This game will no doubt be added to my rotation! Though there are CE's I don't save WP from - but in general WP & concept art are really a big motivator for me when it comes to buying a CE vs. an SE (that and I'm so OCD I can't stand the thought of not seeing the extra gameplay when others do LOL).

So; when I mentioned the lovely graphics on this game I tout that as value beyond just "it makes the H0 scenes easier" or "it makes the whole gaming experience better" - I love actively using the wallpapers & always laugh when I use my laptop for a presentation in a meeting and I get the requisite "Wow - that's some desktop!" comments!

Now - the rest of my review stands - I wouldn't buy this for art alone - but I'll collect those teeny flowers to access it!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 22, 12 12:46 AM
*sigh* Another CE I won't purchase.

PLEASE DEVS LISTEN!!!

If I'm going to pay extra for the CE version than I want the things I pay for available after I pay... NOT when you decide I've "earned" them through finding things or reaching points in the game or whatever. It's a great game... I'd love to buy it.. but I'm waiting for the SE because of this.

I don't understand your reasoning... care to explain? (I'm being serious here.) I mean don't you WANT to sell the CE version of your game??? If you really MUST include the "find to buy" idea then put it in the hard version or something... make it optional. Surely making more money would be a good thing? So why turn that money down by doing things like this that force some of us to wait for the SE?

As for the game itself... loved it... loved the talking dragons (didn't seem far-fetched to me at all but then I'm a fan of fantasy/sci fi etc)... one thing I didn't like was that items you find in a H0 scene don't stay gone... seems lazy programming to me. I liked the graphics, they seemed pretty clear and nice. I'll try it again when it comes out as an SE and if I'm still interested then (and if there haven't been better games out before then to take it's place) I'll probably pick it up with a coupon. If not for the extra issue I'd buy it now.

pakko
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by pakko on Jun 22, 12 1:08 AM

Edited on 06/23/2012 at 1:40:48 AM PST

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jun 22, 12 3:21 AM
Thou, it's not a bad game, something about it didn't grab me! The story is told so many times before, the music is patched randomly, the pointer is a bit stiff and slow to enter the other scenes, same in the hid obj scenes. The art concept is good so the graphics, but I pass on this one as CE!

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jun 22, 12 3:56 AM
A wonderful fairy tale with gorgeous graphics and musical symphonies. Beautifully executed and presented and an absolute pleasure to play. Quite a few innovative things in it that made me smile. A sweet easy game to meander through and enjoy all the lovely aspects of it. A lot of thought and care went into this and I thoroughly appreciate all of it.

I do not complain about repeat HOS, or puzzles too easy, or this was wrong with the story, or that was wrong with whatever. These are games, nothing more and this one is really lovely.

Brilliant job, you guys. Keep it up.

Pickles77
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by Pickles77 on Jun 22, 12 4:30 AM
Sheerija, I wholeheartedly agree with you 100%! Love it, love it, love it! I too love fantasy, fairylands, etc., great escape from reality . The grapics are very clear on my laptop, fullscreen view, adore the dragons in this game. Bravo, Developers, bring on more of this, please

barregar
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,249 Posts

[Post New]by barregar on Jun 22, 12 8:20 AM
I tried the demo and I do agree the graphics are awesome. I like finding the purple flowers and earning coins to buy things in the store if they are worth buying, but they are not. The store was a major disappointment. I am not interested in buying black and white sketches which are not that appealing to me. I would have preferred if they were the colour images of some scenes in the game, which are quite lovely...that would have made it more worthwhile buying the pictures. It would have been great if we could buy the coloured images and use them straight away as wallpapers on our desktop while playing the game, but alas no. Also not interested in buying music. I don't think this game is CE worthy and I may buy the SE only because I like the graphics.

ETA: I have played some other games which are not CEs but while progessing through the game more wallpapers are opened up and you can use them immediately while playing the game, which I think is a wonderful feature. If those developers can make wallpapers available in a SE game, why can't devs. make it available in a CE version? I know most people are not interested in wallpapers but I am one who love them if the artwork is awesome, and I have to admit this game has awesome graphics but I don't like b&w sketches.

Edited on 07/20/2012 at 7:00:14 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jun 22, 12 12:27 PM
I have now finished the game, and am very happy with it.

I also very much enjoyed the bonus game, which took me 50 minutes to play.

For those interested in what happens in the bonus game: SPOILER ALERT Hover over with cursor to see text:
In the main game you find one of the boys who ran away from their mother, but not the other one. In the bonus game, you will rescue the other boy.
END OF SPOILER ALERT

I know some peeps complaint about duplicate HOS, and although at first I didn't notice them, I did a little later on. I don't mind playing the same HOS twice, but what this developer has done is given us almost the same objects to find each time. There was a thimble in one HOS that was hidden. Right after, I had to do the same HOS, and had to find that same thimble again, among other objects I had to find in that HOS the first time round.

However, I am OK with that. I am not always a big fan of HOS, especially when they are junk piles and/or graphics are terrible. However, I did enjoy playing these HOS: graphics were nice, and most of the HOS were not junk piles. Also, I quite liked finding many of the same objects - got me quicker through the HOS so I was able to get on with the game. LOL

Anyway... really enjoyed playing this game. I didn't buy any of the stuff you can buy with your coins, but I did collect the coins by clicking on the purple flowers, because I like doing extra stuff.

One thing that should have been done better was the clickability of the hidden objects. Quite often I had to click several times on an object for it to react. Seems that not all the pixels were always active. Otherwise, a well done game, I thought.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Jun 22, 12 12:38 PM
This is the type game I like. But I guess you have to go with what is out there go I will have to waite another week for a good game. This had all the bells and gongs a good game should have and a good story line to go with it.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 22, 12 7:29 PM

Edited on 06/23/2012 at 1:41:02 AM PST

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jun 23, 12 12:17 AM
I wanted to love this game, I tried. There was so much to like - gorgeous art, decent dialog, a few very nifty new twists. Finding flowers and collecting coins was a very interesting bit of bonus. I was surprised to find that I enjoyed trying to beat my own time on H0 scenes and I liked the bit of tension that added. The dragon was pretty amazing.

Like I said, I tried. But it just didn't quite grab me. The coins are such a good idea but it didn't go anywhere. I would have liked to use them to buy something within the game - magical items, hints, one item crossed off in an H0 scene, anything. Thinking about wallpapers pulls me out of the story.

Mini-games and puzzles were a bit too easy. I liked that many of the puzzles relied on information found elsewhere and stored in the diary but they still weren't very challenging or new.

Challenging is where the game lost me. The flowers glowed, making them pretty easy to spot, inventory items were fairly straightforward, mini-games were a little to easy. It started to feel like just going through the motions.

I played on hardcore mode so there was no black bar dialog at all. That didn't help, it felt as if I was missing part of the story. So I switched to medium and then there was descriptive comments which was nice but clues which I'd rather not have. I understand that balance is difficult to find but it was a bit frustrating.

I'll buy this as an SE but it didn't excite me enough for a CE.

[Post New]by Mystery_Fan on Jun 23, 12 8:22 AM
How long did the main game take? I loved the trial hour I played, and am thinking about purchasing the CE, IF the main game lasts at least 4 hours. Thanks!

Valdy wrote:I have now finished the game, and am very happy with it.

I also very much enjoyed the bonus game, which took me 50 minutes to play....

cullettwo
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by cullettwo on Jun 23, 12 2:00 PM
I played game in casual mode. Was impressed with graphics but the game did not entice me to continue when hour was up. Could not see the purpose of the coins because I thought that the music was ok and I don't really want the wallpapers. I will not be buying this and thanks to BF for giving us fishies the opportunity to try this game for an hour.

[Post New]by REINATAINA on Jun 23, 12 8:48 PM
Just finish the demo and was not impressed. Not a go with me. Will wait for next week new games.

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Jun 23, 12 9:21 PM
Found the game a bit boring as it led you along. Not much of a challenge. The graphics are very good but the dialogue I found kind of immature. I've never called my sisters "darling" or "dear". LOL Its a no go for me.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jun 24, 12 2:21 AM
Great quality game with long gameplay, not too much running around, excellent voiceover and lovely music. I particularly like the choice of either playing a hidden object scene or match 3. I wish more games were made like this. In my opinion, it is worth the CE price; the bonus chapters were also engaging.

I'm looking forward to more great games like this one from the Developers that (I believe) brought us Love & Death: Bitten - because the music towards the end of the bonus chapter is the same. Big thumbs up, developers!

Go to: