Reviews for City of Fools

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Reviews for City of Fools

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jun 21, 12 4:22 PM
What a totally zany, fun, quirky game. Love it. Of course I am totally lost but thats ok as I am enjoying looking around at the scenery and the characters are a real hoot. A nice change from the usual games.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jun 21, 12 4:29 PM
Wow ! This soft release is better than many TGT s! I have only had time to rush through the demo so I really need to buy it I would love to see more of this type! Don't remember playing a game this unique!!

This is a must try for EVERYONE

[Post New]by mprater306 on Jun 21, 12 5:48 PM
Have only spent the hour demo, but so far I love it! Wish the devs would do more games like this.

smiliedaze
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by smiliedaze on Jun 21, 12 6:21 PM
what a unique game! totally fun and original. kept me laughing, from the opening warning to the poop covered state I found myself in at the end of the trial

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Jun 21, 12 7:14 PM
Guess I'm in the minority, but I didn't have much fun with this one; just not my cup of tea, or poo, either. It actually reminds me of an older style game, and the "adult" content wasn't much. Not that I wanted it to be.

Guess I'll go back to my haunted/fantast/ghosty games. For those who like this kind of humor, enjoy!

Celticcoco

euphoria
Herring
Herring
386 Posts

[Post New]by euphoria on Jun 21, 12 9:51 PM
Whew...just finished! I had enough $$ to meet the mayor (and end the game) long before I was done with all the tasks, but I wasn't satisfied until all the tasks were done! I literally just spent over nine hours playing this; couldn't stop until it was over.

Those of you who plan to rely on the walkthrough, be warned that many, many of the tasks are missing from it, so you'll be on your own for some of them. Having said that, the hint system is very helpful, so you shouldn't miss any items of needed inventory. Towards the end, I had to write down all the numbers of places I had visited so I could figure out exactly where that darned guy who wanted the mousetrap parts was located. He ended up being my last task.

On the technical side, I had some issues with the game occasionally freezing for a little while when I clicked on the journal, but eventually it would come back to life and this only happened a few times.

There were a few spelling mistakes (not enough to seriously annoy) and the tutorial for a puzzle involving pipes described it as a jigsaw puzzle, which it most definitely was not. Other than that, I didn't notice any editing errors. With a game this large and with so many locations and characters, you'd expect a few to sneak past.

The policeman who harasses you is quirky and fun at first, but after the 90th time he showed up, he was getting a little tiresome. (Maybe if he'd said more than about four different things I would have been more patient with him.) I would have loved for the map to be interactive; I wore out at least seven pairs of shoes by the time it was all said and done.

And speaking of done, what a bizarre ending! I was disappointed at first, but then realized that, had I been the developers, I may not have thought of any better way to end it. Although I still don't understand the train sounds - did that mean I'd somehow been removed from the island (via catapult again?) and stuffed back onto the train I'd arrived on? If so, I would've liked a little bit of that scene rather than just the sounds. But then, I like long good-byes.

I look forward to more of this genre!

[Post New]by MsMaple on Jun 21, 12 9:58 PM
I am really enjoying this Zany game. I am so tired of the Dark Haunting HO games. It seems that all of the HO games now are like that. Loving the change of scenery and the no nonsense storyline.

[Post New]by NicoleFly on Jun 22, 12 4:31 AM
I think this is my all time favorite game. I loved having to remember where I was and getting lost wandering around!

[Post New]by rebeccamarye on Jun 22, 12 7:26 AM
I think the graphics are quirky and fun, as are the quests. I found it a little tedious to have to take notes about who was where and what they wanted. I would have preferred to have at least location integrated into the journal. But I guess the developers decided that was part of the challenge. Their game, their choice, and I don't have a problem with that.

The ending is a serious anti-climax, though. I'm trying to tell myself that I had several enjoyable hours figuring out the quests in the city, but really, I feel a bit cheated.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 22, 12 10:53 AM
Based on Demo:

Ehh... On the plus side, it wasn't dark, dismal as per usual and it required some forsight and hindsight in the gameplay... liked the 'find things' aspect.. but on the minus side? I found it a tad annoyingly overboard ( as one example...the verbal blerb blerb blerb instead of actual speech carried on a bit too long to be amusing) and overall, just too 'base' and distorted graphics/humor.

Mind you, in general, I definitely appreciate quirkiness in games; however, this game just has too much of an the overt caricature style in the graphics and was way too distorted, exaggerated for me to appreciate in both features of the characters and subject matter.

Just not my kind of game ; for those liking it ~ enjoy!

Edited on 06/23/2012 at 1:02:00 AM PST

nightkat1
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by nightkat1 on Jun 22, 12 11:48 AM
I tried this game on a whim, and am I glad I did! The game is fun as well as funny. It is an awesome game. Thanks BFG and to the "fool" developers.

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Jun 22, 12 1:14 PM
I admit it. This grandma is tearing thru this game giggling like a slap happy third grader. I can't believe I am getting a kick out of stinky poo. I need a drink. LMAO

leilanibz
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

This game RULES!!!!

[Post New]by leilanibz on Jun 22, 12 5:57 PM
Finally a game with some teeth to it. I took a screen shot of the map early in the game and as I progressed thru the game, I updated it with places I had visited and marked them off as I returned. It was awesome, I love this type of game.

More please!!!

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jun 22, 12 7:59 PM

Great quirky fun game! What a different game from the usual HOG! Finished it tonight with 122 tasks and probably 10-12 hours. I just couldn't stop when I started, cause it was just one more thing, and oh yeah, I know where that goes now. Ending was kinda anti-climatic, but the quest was great!

Only thing that would have helped, although the check list and hints were great, would be that the map could have changed to a different color when the goal was met. I get soooooo turned around so easily and that would have helped me greatly to know that that area was completed.

Great game BFG, thanks for the fun!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 23, 12 8:12 AM
we got this game4 and it is a fun game. very colorful.--------doug & lisa

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Jun 23, 12 8:50 AM
Like most of the other comments, I really enjoyed this game. I am exhausted from running around gathering things and solving problems. I finally made a map for myself and noted the places and objectives. What I really didn't like, tho was the ending. After all the effort it just..........................ended. But I did have a good time playing, and will start another game, as I still coulden't help the guy with his mousetrap. Had a few items left over, also. So, i guess I will launch myself back into this zany game.

[Post New]by masonalmix on Jun 23, 12 11:31 AM
amazing frustrating and certainly value for money
like others the only area of intense frustration was the map some reference to a completed area or once the characters had been spoken to if their name appeared instead of a number
have played the game over several days and looked forward to coming home to continue!
i found it easier to buy everything i could when in the shops as sooner or later you run into someone who needs it!
10 out of 10 for this game

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Jun 23, 12 11:45 AM
UPDATE 7/4/12--Unfortunately, this great game brings out my motion sickness in spades. I simply do not understand it because it has none of the motion of games that usually do that. It must be all the navigation, that's all I can think of. Serious letdown, but I'm going to have to stop playing this, even though I've barely gotten started.

My original review--
When I downloaded and opened the game, the dev's name rung a bell but I couldn't remember. Then when I started to play...I realized these guys made Green Moon, one of my favorite games. And this is like that, only MUCH easier to figure out.

My demo hour flew by and I was disappointed when it ended; this is a definite buy. I absolutely love this type of game play (similar to Green Moon ) with the arrows on the sides of the screen to walk around, the mouth icon to talk to people, etc. These developers are from overseas (I forget where, I want to say Russia but I could be wrong) and maybe the reason they have the people doing "non-speak" is so this can be played by anyone anywhere. I think it's brilliant. (Reminds me of "Edison the talking lightbulb" in Brainiversity).

A gazillion tasks to perform, really works the memory cells in the ole brain, that with moving around the town and finding your way, remembering what is where, etc. I enjoy the challenge of this immensely! It's good for you! Try not to rush to a walkthrough or other help..try to figure it out. It's so rewarding when you do!

And the humor, I laughed out loud already over some things..(the guy standing in the water, lol..classic)..and when you step in the doggy mess...well it's all part of the game and there is a very common-sense thing to do ...but I won't spoil it by telling!

Looking forward to playing this for many hours to come.

Kudos to the developers, I love Green Moon and have replayed it numerous times, was waiting and waiting for them to come up with something new and this is great.

Edited on 07/04/2012 at 10:41:40 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jun 23, 12 10:06 PM
I love this game, but the getting around without the ability to "jump" using the map is really quite annoying! I meant the map shows that the airline counter is on the left, but when I get along the left hand side, I find that you cant really proceed left, then I tried right, then down etc all over the place, and I had to keep looking at the map to see where else I can go in order to get to airline counter.

Its fun that along the way I encounter funny characters with all sorts of requests, and this makes the game unconventional and truly fun! The walkthrough could really do more with directions, like go Rx3, Lx2, etc to point out HOW to get there! I took 20 minutes out of the 1 hour trial just to get to airline counter!! Kinda of kills the fun a bit when I kept getting lost and dead-ended. The map looks like there is a thru road, but it seems it doesnt work that way at all!

BFG please update the walkthrough with more precise directions then, Go to the library! I spent another 10mins getting lost while on my way with the map that has roads but no arrows to get to!!!!

Its fun if I kinda of relax, but I am really stress up trying hard to follow the walkthrough. Its still different and nice game with great graphics. It would even be better if BFG could have an upgrade whereby I could place that flag and just "flew" where the flag landed, no need to traverse all over the place!

My score: 3.5/5 (a buy)

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jun 23, 12 10:59 PM

Hmmm... I really enjoyed playing "Green Moon" if this is the same devs, but this game?... I didn't enjoy the graphics (the people were SO exaggeratedly ugly and so despondent) and then there is the poo (complete with flies!?), lol.

Sometimes life offers up tooo many "fools" and 'doo doo' in every day struggles... well, I guess I just don't need it in my games too, haha; wish I had liked it since I would welcome some laughs (tho Shabon was adorable and provided quite a few chuckles, this one was not on the same par IMO).

ETA: Oh... just wanted to add: Reminds me of my oldest brother's "Mad" Magazines that he used to collect/read when we were children.

Edited on 06/23/2012 at 11:05:15 PM PST

Go to: