swedane
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
494 Posts

Re:Reviews for Pride & Prejudice: Hidden Anthologies

[Post New]by swedane on Jun 25, 12 1:27 PM
Having played the full demo and loving the graphics, not so much the very loud music nor the redicules piano compositions.

It's more like a Text and Audio file, throw in some piano and needlepoint lessons and there you have it. Thanks, but no thanks.

Ongoldenpond
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Ongoldenpond on Jun 25, 12 2:17 PM
I beta tested this one and well,,,,,what can I say but I told them so (the developers). I was very honest and told them exactly what I thought about this game. Nice idea but so boring and poorly done that I can't imagine anyone buying it. Also told them to either revamp the entire game or scrap it completely! In this day of sophisticated games and gamers this one just wouldn't fly. I suspect that I will be right.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jun 25, 12 2:19 PM
Wow! Really hoped this game would be a nice SE for a change, but I was way wrong. Graphics are very cartoony, music really gets nerve racking real fast, so much talking that I forget what I was doing in the first place, hint is too weird.

Sorry, but I can't really say anything positive about this one, except that it might appeal to beginners, but not seasoned gamers. Maybe tomorrow.

Thanks for the reviews.

sleeplady
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by sleeplady on Jun 25, 12 2:27 PM
I loved the book and the many movie versions. But the only word for this game IMO is SHRIEK!!!

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Jun 25, 12 2:36 PM
Ongoldenpond wrote:I beta tested this one and well,,,,,what can I say but I told them so (the developers). I was very honest and told them exactly what I thought about this game. Nice idea but so boring and poorly done that I can't imagine anyone buying it. Also told them to either revamp the entire game or scrap it completely! In this day of sophisticated games and gamers this one just wouldn't fly. I suspect that I will be right.

Sorry they didn't listen to you. It may be a classic book, and the drawings here are quite lovely, but that doesn't make a game. This one is dreadful. I barely lasted 10 minutes. Yuck.

CelcticCoco

runtotorun
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by runtotorun on Jun 25, 12 3:21 PM
Four minutes into this game and it was "No, no,no...I will NOT lose my eyesight over a game". Seriously, what are these people thinking? The music was so loud I nearly jumped out of my seat. Definitely NOT a buy for me.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Jun 25, 12 3:55 PM
Right to the point terrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiibbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbblllllllllllllllllllllllleeeeeeeeeee no buy for me, but judge for yourself.

[Post New]by juicepetal on Jun 25, 12 4:49 PM
As someone who has read this book many times, it baffles me that anyone would actually try to make a game out of it. It was a fantastic book, there have been very good film adaptations, but a game? Now, had they made a game of the spoof "Pride & Prejudice & Zombies", I would be interested. The Bennett sisters had some mad ninja skills in that book. :-)

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 25, 12 7:19 PM
What could I possibly add to the comments of other reviewers here. Annoying characters popping in and out. Too much dialogue. Annoying HOGS with witless things to do. Boring, draggy music that made me sleepy rather than relaxed *and I AM a classical music fan). When a game has a lot of characters and more than the average dialogue the game needs to move along at a quick clip. This does not. The story is a classic; the game is not. I will not be buying this game after giving it a 35 minute tryout.

moonweaver
Flounder
Flounder
2,108 Posts

[Post New]by moonweaver on Jun 25, 12 8:14 PM
I can't add much to the negative reviews. I only lasted 30 minutes. I didn't mind the music, but it was much too loud, and no way to turn it down, except to turn it off.

I have read all the Jane Austen books several times each, especially this one. As other fishies have said, I might like a game based on it, if it were executed well. This game is so rudimentary, it doesn't belong in this century. HOS items were tiny, with no magnifying glass; almost impossible for me to identify them.

PASS

DrRobert
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,807 Posts

[Post New]by DrRobert on Jun 25, 12 8:46 PM
What an atrocity. Wouldn't even consider this train wreck for $2.99.

Much too much dialog, first and foremost, It's like watching a foreign film with subtitles. Second, if you have to be psychic in order to play a game, for God's sake make the hint rechargeable, rather than having to find the stupid-**** wax seals that look nothing like the hint button. And the diary pieces are a joke.

No sparkles, no cursor changing even when you are where something needs to be done or found, no help whatsoever. The notelets are a waste of time. Graphics are nothing to write home about. All in all, not one of the better outings. I'll watch and see what the developers come up with on round 2. Not holding out much hope for them though.

If you want a great HOG with all the buzzers and bells, send me a PM and I'll recommend some.

Megamundo28
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Megamundo28 on Jun 25, 12 10:56 PM
I have to agree with most other people here. Too much dialogue, not enough game play. Scenes are beautiful but those characters popping in from the side with all the dialogue grates on the nerves after a very short time. If I want to read I will open up the book, I was hoping for a good game based on the story and this fails miserably.

Will not be buying this one.

Sorry BGF but on this occasion the developers have failed.

Mary

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jun 26, 12 12:11 AM
Ummm no? And I love story games and especially games based on novels but this one just somehow didn't make it. Maybe with a freebie code sometime or as DD if I'm really bored.

In the meantime if anyone is looking for a GOOD game based on Pride and Prejudice it is already available here:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/11417/matches-matrimony-a-pride-and-prejudice-tale/index.html

It's not as... direct... I guess would be the word but it was a lovely lighthearted and fun game... an adventure style with RP aspects instead of a HO. I think those who like straight hogs will prefer P&P: Hidden Anthologies but those who desire more from a game than going from H0 scene to H0 scene will prefer Matches and Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale.

To put it another way... I'd give this one 2 stars, the other 4 stars.

manysaying
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by manysaying on Jun 26, 12 12:18 AM

Edited on 06/26/2012 at 1:26:43 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jun 26, 12 4:18 AM
The hint was as difficult to understand as the accent! This game would be great if there was more direct hint. I was stuck in the kitchen and when I click on hint, Mr Bingley said that I had to find a poker in the drawing room, but I dont see the cursor able to "go" to the drawing room. I poked around literally to find WHERE to go. In the end realised that I had to click on the little curve arrow on the LHS to exit out of the room!!! What a bummer, they could have included a Map, or a direction arrows (like 95% of HOG) to indicate where I could point my cursor, rather than make me find all over the place to figure out just how to get to the drawing room!!!

A walkthrough is truly needed as the Hint system is not very helpful, and there should also be sparkles to help us figure out which objects require interaction or action or whatever.

I kinda of like this game if not somewhat spoiled for lack of clear directional arrows, hints. The diary pages are totally impossible to find and u had to click all over the place to get them, I dont even know whether I had found all of them in the HO scenes! very frustrating. Its not as if the HO scenes will stay there until u found all the diary pages. So the diary pages are kinda like morphing objects in some popular HOG

Overall its still a worthwhile game to pursue on a lazy afternoon

2.5/5 (not worth to buy but can consider if the game is free or a gift or if u had game credits to spend on a slightly frustrating game just to while away the time)

Annie1115
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Annie1115 on Jun 26, 12 7:50 AM
Ho hum. I love the angst of the Romantic period as much as the next girl but I found myself wishing I could punch Mother and Daddums in their respective throats within minutes of starting this game. The HOS's were really basic. I got to the scene requiring I help my sister get dressed and I was absurdly offended that the lazy heifer couldn't manage to get her own clothes so I quit.

Waiting for Thursday!!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 26, 12 7:57 AM
we would rate this game 1 out of 5. the storyline was BORING. so this game will have to wait.-----doug & lisa

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Jun 26, 12 2:31 PM
darksprires wrote:I lasted about five minutes before the tiresomeness of the game casued an onset of ennui to set in.

I was reminded of those children's cardboard theatres of yesteryear. The cut out figures would be inserted onto the stage via long sticks from the wings. The cut out characters in this game looked remarkable similar as they sideways entered.

I was really hoping for something different. Long scenes of truncated text just doesn't cut it. I am guessing this is along the lines of that dreadful Coronations Street game I didn't even bother to download.

I would award this half a star for effort and because I really like Jane Austin books.

Exactly. I only made it through the first 30 minutes. The music was so boring and tedious with no way to turn it down that I could find.

Boring. Not buying it.

cherzy13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by cherzy13 on Jun 26, 12 8:49 PM
I TRIED TO GIVE THIS GAME A CHANCE, AND ACTUALLY PLAYED FOR 15 MIN.
I AM ASHAMED OF BIG FISH FOR EVEN RUNNING THIS GAME. IT WAS SO HORRIBLE THAT I CAN'T EVEN IMAGINE TAKING IT FOR FREE!! THE HINTS THAT CAME FROM THE BUTLER WERE NOT REALLY HINTS, AND TO FIND OUT WHAT TO DO, YOU HAVE TO CONSTANTLY CLICK ON THE PEOPLE. THERE IS NO WAY TO TURN THEM OFF COMPLETELY, WHICH WOULD BE NICE. THIS GAME IS ANNOYING, HORRIBLE, TERRIBLE, BORING, THUMBS DOWN AND DON'T BUY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by tinkcook on Jun 27, 12 4:54 AM
As an avid Pride and Prejudice lover I tried this game because I had every intention of purchasing it. I found the game to be very boring. After about 5 minutes of play, I decided that the people developing it didn't know much about Pride and Prejudice and the characters or the story line.
But I still thought I'd purchase it. Then about 10 minutes into the game, it started slowing down and then it froze and I had to ctl alt del to get out of it. I tried it again and it did the same thing. Everything together made me decide not to purchase this game. It's not worth buying.

Go to: