MABJBMB
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Reviews for Night In The Opera

[Post New]by MABJBMB on Jun 27, 12 7:45 PM
YES, A CONFUSING GAME IN THE BEGINNING, BUT I THERE'S LOTS OF FUN IN FIGURING IT OUT. IT'S DEFINITELY A MATCH THREE, BUT WITH THE MONEY EARNED IN THE MATCH PART OF THE GAME YOU EARN DIFFERENT "POWER-UPS" AND FURTHER CLUES TO A MURDER MYSTERY. THERE ARE HIDDEN OBJECT PARTS AND YOU ALSO EARN A MUSIC LIBRARY (REAL OPERAS). I BOUGHT IT BECAUSE IT WAS DIFFERENT AND CHALLENGING. I'M PLAYING ON TIMED VERSION AND IT REMINDED ME OF PHANTASMAT WHICH I HAVE PLAYED MANY TIMES IN HARD MODE BECAUSE PHANTASMAT'S MATCH 3 IS ONE OF THE HARDEST MATCH 3 GAMES I HAVE EVER PLAYED AND I LOVE GOOD MATCH 3 GAMES. I CAN ALREADY TELL THAT THIS GAME DOES NOT HAVE HAVE THE INTENSITY AND STORY INTEREST OF THAT GAME BUT I'M ALL IN FOR THIS GAME'S COMBINATION OF TASKS.
PS THE JAZZ MUSIC IS SOOOOO WRONG!

I'M A COUPLE HOURS INTO THE GAME WITH A NEW PROFILE. I DO NOT RECOMMEND TIMED VERSION FOR BEGINNERS. I'M AN EXPERIENCED MATCH 3 PLAYER AND I FINALLY HAD TO GIVE UP ON A LEVEL AFTER SPENDING ALL MY MONEY ON UPGRADES AND STILL DIDN'T BEAT THE LEVEL AFTER 9 TRIES. WHEN I WENT TO UN-TIMED (UNDER A DIFFERENT NAME), I GOT A BETTER FEEL FOR THE DIFFERENT POWER-UPS AND I MIGHT TRY "TIMED" AGAIN WHEN I FINISH.
SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS BUT I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH MY KEYBOARD.

Edited on 06/29/2012 at 7:26:29 AM PST

gameslvr
Clownfish
Clownfish
553 Posts

[Post New]by gameslvr on Jun 27, 12 11:05 PM
Well, everything everyone said is true. I didn't like the match 3's and at times I felt like the tiles moved on their own. I didn't get the idea of the record room. I was able to purchase the spray but thats as far as I got and then I felt that there were too many match 3's. I think I might have liked it as a HO game without the match 3's. The idea was interesting.

wjnank
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by wjnank on Jun 28, 12 6:20 AM
I ejoyed the demo and plan to purchase this game. People have been asking for something different and this game delivers.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 28, 12 6:36 AM
this game says it is a HOS game, it should be titled match 3. we will not get this game but if you like match 3 games, this game is for you.---------doug & lisa

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Jun 29, 12 12:19 PM
I do enjoy playing Match 3s, but usually only as a break from
HOPAs. This game definitely has more M3s. Although I felt
lost a lot of the time, I really did enjoy this game. I learned
early on to buy as many power-ups as I could for use in
the M3s. They were what I needed most of the time to clear
that one last area before I got too bored.

The HO scenes were clear and I seldom needed a hint for them.
The detective's reasoning didn't always seem logical to me, but
I did manage to follow it. Lots of "what do I do now?" moments.

As someone else mentioned, it's important to play at least a
little part of each record as you acquire it in order to find the
next HO scene.

I'm glad I bought it and applaud the developers for offering
something so different. I will definitely be looking for their
next one.

[Post New]by Columbia999 on Jun 29, 12 3:17 PM
I hated this game and gave up after five minutes of the demo. Then I couldn't even uninstall it because the dialogue box was so huge, that I couldn't reach the Yes button to get rid of it. Grr!

[Post New]by OvrThRainbo on Jun 30, 12 4:25 AM
Based on Demo Only:

I was able to play 45 minutes of Night IN The Opera before RL call to me. The game is a strange combination of an Adventure murder mystery, a bit of a HOG (can't remember what you call this type of HOG) and a lot Match3 (which, thankfully, I like). Most of the music soundtrack sounds like ersatz classical. During the Match3s it is especially grating. The Match3s tiles seem very small compared to other games which was also a problem for me..,that and the fact that the Match3 games weren't very fun.

I will probably buy Night In The Opera because I am an opera buff but it doesn't seem to have been designed with the classical music/opera lover in mind (see reasons below only if you have played the game).

SPOILER ALERT

I finally earned my 1st classical opera recording - Bizet's CARMEN. When I was young I worked in a major record retailer on the Classical/Opera floor and I was also a collector of opera records and went to the opera, opera recitals, subscribed to opera magazines. As an undergrad and grad student in Vienna and Munich my friends were American opera singers, many very successful. (I can't stay on key; I just love music). So here's my critique of the opera recording of CARMEN: pleasant, probably recorded in Eastern Europe with Eastern European singers and musicians. The arrangement is very "opera lite", not fiery, not emotional - not very like Carmen. Even an American summer Boston Pops performance under Arthur Fiedler would have had more passion. This rendition is guaranteed to appeal to as many people as possible and offend no one. Probably the safest way to go in a game like this.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jun 30, 12 6:04 PM
I really like a good match-3 game. The untimed ones are relaxing and can be played a few levels at a time to unwind and let go of the stress of the day.

This would be a good match-3 game if it worked properly. But on its own as a match-3, I would not consider it great. I was very pleased to see that in addition to the match-3 game play there is a mystery story, hidden object scenes, a few puzzles and some adventure aspects to the game. I applaud the game developer for their imagination and innovation but take major points away from them for releasing a game with so many glitches.

The artwork in the HOG scenes and in the cut scenes is excellent. The story has a good amount of twists and turns for a mystery although I found the ending a bit weak. It looked like we were set up for some sort of puzzle at the end and nothing materialized.

I enjoyed my time playing this game and I liked being pulled along by the story. I would have enjoyed it more if the game worked properly. As you play the HOG scenes and the match-3 levels at various times you are given objects. Some of the objects are inventory items to be used in the game to help solve the mystery. Some of the objects are music records that you can listen to in the music room. Some of the items are power ups that help you along in the match-3 games.

Unfortunately this game has some technical problems with the match-3 power ups that you accumulated along the way. Some of them are missing. You are told that you have earned a power up and when you go to the Store it is not there and it never shows up later in the game. Some of them don't work as described, which can be very frustrating as you play.

I am always surprised when something like this happens. I wonder why this was not caught by the developers or the beta testers. Were the developers on a release date deadline and did not have time to finish the game? I realize that casual games sold by BFG are inexpensive but I still want a complete game when I buy one.

I hope the developers will correct the technical errors in the game and release an update.

Edited on 07/04/2012 at 3:02:48 PM PST

epaldino
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by epaldino on Jun 30, 12 8:59 PM
Terrible. I love these kinds of games but am stuck in the first 2 minutes of the game. The hint button is useless and there's nothing to do except play endless Match 3 games.

Dislike!

[Post New]by feenix2011 on Jul 5, 12 5:36 PM
I gave this game another try and thanks to Valdy and other reviewers, I was able to continue. This game is very confusing at first and after awhile, the M3's are too much and the hidden object scenes just boring and a waste of time. And the music in the M3 part - ugh!! Especially the "jazz" music. Horrible. I did, however, like the whole idea of it and I thought it was original in many ways. But if they and other devs want to continue this type of game, please more story, less Match 3 and more puzzles. Try to even them out, please!!

feenix

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Jul 7, 12 3:45 AM
While playing the demo for about 40 minutes, more like "not playing", I only got "the cane top" that goes with the rest of the cane, wherever the heck that was. I like M3 games and this one isn't cutsie cartoon drawn, so I REALLY wanted to find out what was (not) going on and came over here. Read a couple of replies, went back to the game and WHAT A PIECE OF
This is one game I suggest you go along with the tutorial (if you're like me and usually don't) or end up wasting alot of time in frustration, blaming it on the game and not you.

This game is everything alot of people wish for in straight HOPA games: bright, clear, good graphics, no monsters, asylums, darkness clouded in blue, etc.
A Match 3 that some might need a WT! The H0 scenes are kinda pastel.
I'm playing "untimed" instead of timed. Too many things to do to have a timer over my head.
Regarding the music that is played on the gramaphone: there is a play and stop button on the gramaphone. If you choose to shut it off (at any time) it returns to the background muzak, and if that get's on your nerves, go to options and mute it.
Other than that, this is a GREAT game, totally different than any other M3. I wanted to post before it disappears off the Top 100 list. It's at 45 right now, debuted not much higher and sinking.
I REALLY recommend checking this out no matter what kind of music you like or don't. It took me 35 minutes to figure where the heck the M3 board was!...much less the H0S

Once I did, I immediately purchased when the trial ended and the art work is stunning, HOS are done very well. NO JUNKPILE. It seems slow (to me) but it really isn't and could be equated as boring, but it isn't. Personally, I had to not play as quickly as I am accustomed to doing on M3 games. That might be why it feels slow moving to me....it just has other things to do,
It's a game so far and it's a long one. I didn't want to repeat all the positives others have written....I should've watched the quick tutorial instead of being in the dark, frustrated for 35 minutes, thinking "this is only a M3...how complicated can it be?!?!?!

katymax
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by katymax on Aug 25, 12 9:30 AM
It took so long to finish the game I'm not really sure who the murderer is!!I hated/loved this game - very different with match 3, HO & story line, too much match 3 for me.

Charleen
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

[Post New]by Charleen on Jun 18, 13 11:25 AM
Ok if you read my inputs on games you know I love the games at Big Fish...I liked this one but didn't love it.... I liked the interaction and the graphics was really well done...But I didn't like the ending it was kind of a let down....but all in all it was a fun game to play....Probably wouldn't have bought it...but I did so will play it again to see if I missed something in the end....

Go to: