LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

Re:Post any Flux Family Secrets: The Book of Oracles technical issues here only

[Post New]by LarkBea on Jun 30, 12 5:07 PM
Slow, jerky game play, even without custom cursor. When I have run into this problem before with a few games, I don't bother to purchase because it's something that is never resolved.

No buy for me.

woodythepecker
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by woodythepecker on Jun 30, 12 5:34 PM
bobrien45 wrote:Same problem here with game not fitting on screen. There's a black border on the right and game off screen on left. Has anyone found the solution yet???

I have the same problem. Still waiting on a fix. How about it Big Fishie? Are you working feverishly on a patch or something for this?
woody

firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

[Post New]by firekat7 on Jun 30, 12 5:51 PM
I had been having some of the same problems cited in other posts in this thread and here is what worked for me (I have Windows 7 32-bit):

Game not fitting on screen: I used the manual adjustment button on the monitor for moving the picture left or right. Worked perfectly and easily.

Jerky Cursor: I turned off custom cursor.

Slow, jerky movement of game action: I had already updated my video card drivers a few days ago, so I skipped that step. I updated both Adobe Flash Player and Shockwave. This worked very well, still not perfect, but playable. I think the Shockwave update made the biggest difference. Also, I launched the game through the game manager, not desktop shortcut.

Chapter 2 losing inventory: I thought I had lost the ring after closing the game and reopening it directly from the game manager. I was ready to give up, but then I clicked on the device and the mini-game did trigger. The game did not lose the ring as I had thought. Give it a try.

I hope these are helpful!

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Jun 30, 12 5:57 PM
Thanks for your suggestions but I have the most current versions of DirectX, Flash and Shockwave as well as the most current graphics driver for my computer. I also turned off the custom cursor (usually the most problematic part of the equation when game play isn't smooth), however the slow, jerky game play persists. My computer has plenty of RAM and I am not running any resource heavy programs in the background.

I have run into this a few other times with games and have come to the conclusion that some just do not "play well" with the graphics card in my computer and no amount of tweaking helps. When a game plays like this in the demo, the full version isn't going to be any better, so to save the frustration, I move on to another game.
I seem to remember the same problem with the second Flux Family game as well.

To those who can play successfully, it looks like a good game. I'm sorry my computer doesn't like it.

Edited on 06/30/2012 at 5:59:15 PM PST

firekat7
Clownfish
Clownfish
954 Posts

[Post New]by firekat7 on Jun 30, 12 6:08 PM
LarkBea, so sorry to hear you are still having problems with the jerky movements.

Did you try changing to Windows XP compatibility mode? That worked for me on another game. There's a good explanation on how to do this in the Game Crashing section of Help.

Sometimes uninstalling and then reinstalling in Alternate Method works, too. To do this, after uninstalling the game, go to the top right of your game manager and click on options, then click on the Advanced tab, then click on Alternate Method.

Hope one of these methods works for you.

julese53
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by julese53 on Jun 30, 12 9:43 PM
In the demo, when I hit play all I get is a flashing screen. The game doesn't start at all.
It's not just the game manager that flashes either, it's my whole screen, and I have to restart my pc. I've tried reinstalling, but that doesn't help.
It's too bad because I love the first 2 games.

roxycavalier
Stingray
Stingray
5,621 Posts

[Post New]by roxycavalier on Jun 30, 12 9:59 PM
This game does run smoothly on my computer but in full screen the aspect ratio is off. Any solution?

[Post New]by fisi_sifi on Jun 30, 12 10:41 PM
I do not have most of the problems, but the Chapter-2-toolbox-problem remains. I simply can't go on. A pitty, since the first two games were really nice - but this kind of badly made game does not encourage me to buy ...

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jun 30, 12 11:33 PM
In Chapter three, I can not click the movie to continue. I'm stuck in a loop. Deposit the coin, click the movie, first screen plays, click everywhere, nothing, exit scene, still have coin.

This is very frustrating,

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jul 1, 12 3:05 AM
I've had no problems with the screen size or the cursor or missing inventory. My only issue is with the nickel cinema machines. Whenever the screen displays the "Click to continue' message, I click but the scene does not advance. I have to wait for it to advance on its own. It's nothing damaging to the overall gameplay but it is frustrating to have to watch the little movie in its "entirety" without the option of clicking through it...

cepe
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by cepe on Jul 1, 12 6:24 AM
mst3kr wrote:I've had no problems with the screen size or the cursor or missing inventory. My only issue is with the nickel cinema machines. Whenever the screen displays the "Click to continue' message, I click but the scene does not advance. I have to wait for it to advance on its own. It's nothing damaging to the overall gameplay but it is frustrating to have to watch the little movie in its "entirety" without the option of clicking through it...

Same problem - can we have a fix on this? And the ability to click past it

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Jul 1, 12 7:09 AM
firekat7, thank you for your helpful suggestions and I am sure they will be beneficial to others. Unfortunately though, they are not helping me.

The computer I originally tried this on was an XP with SP3, 3.4GB of RAM. So, I tried it on my Windows 7 -64bit, 6GB of RAM laptop and encountered the same. I did try XP compatibility mode on that...no go. The only thing the two have in common are AMD graphics cards. My son has a desktop with an nVidia graphics card and I am going to ask him to demo the game to see if he has the same problems.

As I said before, I have run into this problem in the past...not all of the time, but enough to suspect it may be a graphics card incompatibility issue. It happened with the second Flux family game and one called "Secrets of the Dragons Wheel". There have been a couple of others, but the names escape me at present.

My computers have no issues handling games that are much more resource heavy, so I do not believe it is a RAM problem, rather related to other hardware and that pretty much pinpoints the graphics/video card.

Thank you again for your suggestions though. They are good ones and may help others who are facing the same issue.

Edited on 07/01/2012 at 7:12:32 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 1, 12 8:46 AM
Hi Fishies,

I am very sorry to see that so many of you have had issues with this game.

If the suggestions outlined in the OP and by other users fail to improve your situation, please get in touch with our our Tech Support team, so we can provide advice taliored to your issue and computer.

You can find a link to contact our Support team on the front page of our Help pages and they will be happy to assist you if needed!

Thanks!

bfgBaikal

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 1, 12 9:39 AM
The game went well UNTIL the ball popped out of the machine and disappeared...the screen went black and no amount of CTRL-ALT-DEL got me out so I had to manually shut down my computer... When I went back into the game, it worked fine from that point until the demo ended...about 3 minutes.... I really enjoyed the other two games and wanted to buy this one, but I will wait and see if there is an update with a fix.

I did check and all of my drivers and so on are up to date so that is not a fix for me.

Edited on 07/01/2012 at 9:40:27 AM PST

ShirleyB
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Can't get past the missing ink (game lock, reinstall tried)

[Post New]by ShirleyB on Jul 1, 12 11:00 AM
As happened with others below, the ink bottle froze when I tried to pick it up.
I've followed the advice given to uninstall and reinstall. I uninstalled three different ways (through GM, through Control Panel and through the actual uninstall exe file. I have also made sure my video driver was current.

Upon reinstall each time the ink pot is gone and is not in my inventory. I'm unable to progress any further with the game.

I have restarted the game using a different player name and the ink pot still freezes.

How can I get past this technical glitch and continue to play the game?

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Jul 1, 12 12:05 PM
Hi ShirleyB,

Since uninstalling and reinstalling didn't help, I'd try the suggestions in this help article:

Game Crashing, Freezing, or Blank Screen

If you try that and are still not able to get past that spot in the game, please get in touch with our Tech Support team. They'll be able to take a look at how the game is running on your computer and suggest some more specific things you can try. And if it is a glitch with the game, the info they can collect from you will really help us pinpoint where it's coming from so we can get it fixed that much faster.

You can contact them by clicking on the green envelope on the right to get to our Help pages. From there, click "Contact Us" on the left of that screen to submit a support ticket.

If you're a Big Fish Game Club member, you can also connect to Live Chat Support Monday-Friday 7:30am-4:30pm PST.

Thank you!

bfgMonongahela

tsenones
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by tsenones on Jul 1, 12 1:35 PM
I can't "click here" to forward the movies. I have to wait until the screens change by themselves. Additionally, when you reach the mini-game to enter the Control Box, I am able to move the numbers in the correct order but then I can't enter the code. Had to wait until skip filled to by-pass the game.

bfgCimarron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,902 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCimarron on Jul 1, 12 2:35 PM
Hi tsenones,

I'm sorry this game is giving you so much trouble. I would definitely try uninstalling and reinstalling the game (if you click the blue text it will take you to more information on how to do this). This won't lose your place in the game, but can help if the game isn't responding as it should.

However, if you try this and the game is still giving you trouble, I would definitely get int contact with customer support as bfgMonongahela suggests above. They can help take a closer look for you to find out what's going on.

How to get in contact with Customer Support

I hope this helps!

bfgCimarron

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

[Post New]by Poof11 on Jul 1, 12 3:01 PM
Same problem here as others with the movie not moving forward via click to continue,

I have also run into another snaffu. I am in Chapter 3 and had collected all of the doll pieces but they have disappeared from my inventory. All I have now is the sharpened pencil and the cryptex. I cannot go any further since the doll pieces have vanished.

i hate to have to restart the game all over but I guess I will just to see if the same thing happens again. I will let you know what happens.

Edited to add: I restarted under a new profile and was able to get passed the 3rd chapter since this time my inventory was there. Now, I am in the 7th chapter and one of the mini games will not respond after completing the first half. I really hope I can continue without having to start yet another profile. I've been playing for more than 8 hours now with the two profiles, so I think I will just wait until later today and see if there is a fix before trying to continue. I just cannot even fathom having to restart with yet another profile.I'm enjoying the game but not enough to have to restart from the beginning again for a third time.
The other problems I had noticed with this game is when you click on an item which has the open hand, the hand stays around until you either find something else or leave the scene making you think there is more to find. Or, when opening an item it keeps bringing you back as though there is something still there until once again, you leave the scene.Same goes when you click an item that creates the sparkles.
ETA on 07/02/12: Well since I didn't see an update yet, I chanced it and went back in to see if I could finish the mini game that was stuck. Well, lo and behold it finally worked. The only other problems I did run into was with the pick lock puzzle which I ended up skipping amd the emding puzzle which responded exactly the way the movie clips did. You just needed to wait until it was ready or click your heart out until it responded. All in all it really was a good game. Would have even been worthy of a CE, IMO, with the length. Good luck all.

Edited on 07/02/2012 at 9:56:53 PM PST

Zork1
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by Zork1 on Jul 1, 12 4:20 PM
Ok - I'm not giving up on this game. I finally changed to the harder mode and without all the sparkles the game played for me. However, I can't get into the storage area under the stairs at the observatory. I did the first time, the game crashed and now I can't get back in to get the ladder ..... please tell me I don't have to start over.....

Help please.

For the rest - try the harder mode, it seems simple to turn it on and off.

This plays wide screen on my 17" laptop/windows 7-64 bit....just the scenes with too much going on caused trouble. Gave up the special cursor, but what helped was switching from easy to hard and getting rid of the sparkles.

Now - how do I get the ladder?

Go to: