janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

Re:Reviews for Flux Family Secrets: The Book of Oracles

[Post New]by janey3315 on Jul 4, 12 11:50 AM
Sheerija wrote:An 8 hrs SE? Unheard of, by me anyway. I'm sure this was meant to be a CE. Beautiful graphics, perfect navigation and hint/skips that are super fast. It's very, very intelligently thought out, with infinite precision and care and wonderfully put together. The cut scenes are brilliant. Small wonder it has taken so long to be released. It must have taken an eternity to create this intricate, sophisticated game. And, whoever, made the WT deserves a medal. Excellent job. This game is simply fantasmagorical.

But, OMG, it nearly drove me to distraction! The first chapter was fine and that was the demo over. Then, it got stuck and I could only move the cursor in short jerky bursts but not make it go where I wanted it, so had to cad. This happened again a little later on. Loading the chapters took ages and they may as well not have bothered saying "Click to continue" because it just sat there and only continued when it felt like it. After exiting to the WT, I could not get back in again for about 30 secs, every time. Quite a few of the puzzles were also sticky and would not operate other than in a sort of slow motion, where I could not control the cursor, so had to be skipped The text and the voices were not speaking the same dialogue sometimes. Finally, if all that wasn't enough, after every puzzle sparkles would freeze the screen for a few seconds and then slowly dissipate before I could move on.

It appears to me that they were so intent on what I have referred to in the first paragraph, that they did not pay attention to the technicalities. All these glitches and stop/start and cads made the game much longer than it actually is and they totally marred a terrific piece of work.

These things all need to be fixed, pronto, before too many people buy it and start dissing these devs for their shoddy workmanship.

i love this game too...i did not encounter the problems you have ...the only time it was a bit slow was the paper puzzles...like putting together paintings or posters but even that wasn't to bad but just enough to be annoying ...maybe it's your computer that's on the slow side...anyways happy gaming

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Jul 4, 12 11:54 AM
bellissimo,ho anche gli altri due della serie e spero molto nel sequel....mi sono divertita veramente tantissimo...è tutto bello e la canzoncina finale è una delizia....bravi a tutti....alla prossima....

janey3315
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by janey3315 on Jul 4, 12 11:56 AM
Wow..I love this game because it's theme is very enjoyable and not the same old same old dark and dreary. Even though i like those too but this is just different than the others in a good way.

I have the first one and now this one. I do not have the second one from this series but I will definetly look into getting that one also at some point.

I am on the 5th chapter so far..does anyone know how many chapter there are? I don't want it to end...that's a good sign.

Happy gaming fishes

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Jul 4, 12 3:06 PM
I LOVED the first two, and this did not disappoint! I purchased it sight unseen, and was thrilled with the length.... 9 hours for a SE is extremely good value! I'm very sorry that the trilogy has ended, but they did it right... left me wondering and didn't dash my imagination...

Graphics were delightful, very colorful... voice overs very realistic and appropriate, and the history lessons were refreshing for this old broad!

Some of the HO items were quite small, but for some reason I had more problems finding the larger items... go figure! Not having a map was not an issue, as most tasks were grouped very logically (but still made me think!) I agree with others that the transition between chapters (and there were many) took forever to load, and the skip button was worthless... it transitioned when it wanted to... minor irritant, guess I was just too eager to see what was next!

For me, this was the best installment of the three, and I'll shelf it for a while and play all three in order whenever there is a dry spell. (Hope it's a long time!!)

I give this game two thumbs up, five stars and an Oscar!! Please don't pass this one up!! Thanks Developers.... you ROCK!!!

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Jul 5, 12 4:14 PM
Great game, I loved the last two and this one is just as good. Has good puzzles and I am enjoying the HO scenes . Glad I bought it

LarkBea
Herring
Herring
354 Posts

[Post New]by LarkBea on Jul 6, 12 7:22 AM
Sheerija wrote:

But, OMG, it nearly drove me to distraction! The first chapter was fine and that was the demo over. Then, it got stuck and I could only move the cursor in short jerky bursts but not make it go where I wanted it, so had to cad. This happened again a little later on. Loading the chapters took ages and they may as well not have bothered saying "Click to continue" because it just sat there and only continued when it felt like it. After exiting to the WT, I could not get back in again for about 30 secs, every time. Quite a few of the puzzles were also sticky and would not operate other than in a sort of slow motion, where I could not control the cursor, so had to be skipped The text and the voices were not speaking the same dialogue sometimes. Finally, if all that wasn't enough, after every puzzle sparkles would freeze the screen for a few seconds and then slowly dissipate before I could move on.

It appears to me that they were so intent on what I have referred to in the first paragraph, that they did not pay attention to the technicalities. All these glitches and stop/start and cads made the game much longer than it actually is and they totally marred a terrific piece of work.

These things all need to be fixed, pronto, before too many people buy it and start dissing these devs for their shoddy workmanship.

Exact same problems for me too on two different computers, both perfectly capable of readily handling more resource heavy programs. So contrary to what another person posted, it's not an issue that can be attributed to a "slow" computer. I also have the most current driver for my graphics cards, the most current Flash/Shockwave/DirectX, etc. on each computer.

The fact that not everyone is having issues seems to point to a graphics card incompatibility issue, something that I have encountered with a few other offerings at BFG and something the devs don't seem to have any interest in solving. If it works for the majority, that's where it stops. However, when the thread for those reporting technical glitches is twice as long as the thread for reviews, it would tend to indicate there is a problem with the game that cannot be easily dismissed.

For those who are able to successfully play without encountering these glitches, lucky you! It seemed like a fun and interesting offering, and I did enjoy it until the hassles and frustration overrode the enjoyment and I uninstalled it.

Edited on 07/06/2012 at 7:26:13 AM PST

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jul 8, 12 5:39 PM
I bought this one without even doing the trial because I own all the others and have loved playing them (over and over again). I have to say for some reason this one is not doing it for me. I cannot pinpoint exactly why, but maybe its because someone is always popping up and saying "Hurry". I play games to enjoy and while I like time sensitive/management games this one is just being a pain with Hurry all the time and this is not a time sensitive game! Just annoyed me and I am sorry I bought without a trial! JMHO

Lean

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jul 8, 12 5:45 PM
lisablue4369 wrote:this is the third game of the series and it is the best of the three. if you enjoyed the first two, you should get this one. it has a 4 star rating.-----doug & lisa

I know I am in the minority but if you liked one and two you prolly WONT like this game. They are all the time telling you to "hurry" and as others have pointed out it is a 8 or 9 hour game. They must say "hurry" at least every 10 minutes so figure that out! This was the Worst of the series I bought because i own the other 2 and they are great and I have played them several times each. This one I am gonna have a hard time not just deleting much less ever playing again!

JMHO

Lean

10 THUMBS DOWN

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 11, 12 2:54 PM
Best game of the series, played flawlessly with no glitches on my computer. I'm looking forward to the next installment

P.S. I've been married for 44 years, I have no trouble ignoring someone telling me Hurry.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 2:57:08 PM PST

ceri4hc
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by ceri4hc on Jul 13, 12 1:02 PM
Loved the first two Flux games but this one had me pulling my hair out. Yes it is a long game - assisted by the very slow jerky action of the cursor in most of the mini games. I had to skip most as the cursor would not stay in place long enough to perform an action.. The start of each chapter took ages to commence and the hidden objects (even with the help of the magnifying glass ) in some cases were impossible to find, perhaps the Devs would consider an x-ray machine for future HO's.
For's = excellent graphics, I enjoyed the story too and it is a long game 8 chapters.
My laptop is fully up to date so I'm sure it's not a fault my end plus I read here in the forum other fishes have and are having the same problems as me.
I very rarely download the trial If I like what I read in the forum for a game I go ahead and purchase it as I did with this one so don't be put off gamers but I do suggest you see how the trial runs before purchase .

[Post New]by charlienycole on Jul 25, 12 11:39 PM
I loved the first 2 Flux Family games. Unfortunately, this one fell flat. I wish I could blame some of it on the amount of time that had passed between those and this one, but the fact is I enjoy new games much more when a lot of time has gone by since the previous installments. I found it tedious and WAY too long to finish. My biggest complaint, though, is the ending. The storyline was convoluted enough by itself; I find the resolution of the story a disappointment and flat out joke.

lookywho
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by lookywho on Jul 28, 12 7:36 AM
just finished this game wow we its a mind working game really enjoyed playing

vetchick
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by vetchick on Jul 29, 12 2:17 PM
I was disappointed in this one. I loved the first two (first more than second) and thought this one was a bit over the top with the story. It was convoluted and drug on forever. What I loved most about the first one was the focus on the historical figures. In this one it seemed the focus was more on the crazy family story than the history. On the plus side though, the graphics were great, and I do like the fragmented objects.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Sep 7, 12 1:17 AM
2 mode HOPA (of sorts) -- Casual has sparkles, Advanced does not. You can change play mode while in the game. The option to "turn off tips" does not apply to black bar info -- I guess it might be the tutorial.

Game play is a mix of FROG (collect whole parts of an object to make an object you can use), HOG (some interactive items), and puzzles. The black bar info pretty much eliminates any real adventure.

Widescreen -- not stretched to fit, but not HD as sharp as in Flux 2.

A synopsis of the story so far is provided -- no real need to play the first two.

No real need to play this one either -- it is pretty standard fare. Some items are well hidden -- some are just minute. Puzzles were easy to decipher without instructions. We've seen them before; they are not complex so far.

I did the demo and was bored by the end. The story is really not all that compelling within the confines of repetitive game play.

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Sep 24, 12 8:48 AM
I Liked this game and I liked the first two !!!
Liked music, voice overs , graphics ,puzzles a bit too easy but I spent hours of happy gaming

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jan 3, 13 3:47 PM
Where was I when this came out? ...

Why didn't I at least demo it? ...

Why am I asking you? ...

Happy New Year? ...

It is a buy for me...

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on May 15, 13 5:37 AM
Review based upon completion of the game.

This is the conclusion of the Flux Family saga. This also means that you better play the first two or the story won't make much sense to you, even if the game tries to remedy that by a short synopsis at the first movie machine. This time around Jesse tries to remedy her screwup at the end of Part 2, but initially fails. Then it's up to her to help the usual historical figures to save the family (and the world?) from certain doom on December 21 last year.

The Good:

+ FROG and HOG scenes
+ the magnifying glass is back (right click)
+ search for Flux Facts
+ "All Star" made me laugh
+ diverse mini games...

The Neutral:

o ...but all of them are easy

The Bad:

- more often than not the hint system is utterly useless
- graphics and videos are still the same as in Part 1

Bottom Line: Buy it for the conclusion if you played the first two games. This series was great at the release of Part 1, however, since then gameplay has evolved, but this series is still treading water at the level of part 1.

[Post New]by Classicaljazz on Sep 9, 13 11:46 AM
This is on for $2.99 as Catch of the Week now... but, I tried the game and won't be buying it even at that price.

Here's why: I own the previous two in the series, but found the gameplay in the demo of this episode to be tedious and frustrating. The graphics are colorful and skillfully created, but some of the hidden objects are very small and difficult to see. That fact, coupled with the forum comments about a disappointing and confusing ending made me decide to put this on my DO NOT BUY list. One of my "pet peeves" about computer games is disappointing endings or "endings" that do not satisfactorily tie up the threads of the story. So why pay to set myself up for an ending such as that?

For those who don't care so much for the story line in games and those who enjoy looking for small and very difficult to see hidden objects, enjoy the game!

Classicaljazz

Tassieo
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Tassieo on Jan 24, 14 11:41 PM
Have just finished this game on my IPad, found it to be a most frustrating game, to much back and forwards, got lost too many times. I also seem to be playing for ever, was so glad when it was finished. A waste of money.

Go to: