Re:Reviews for Grim Facade: Sinister Obsession Collector's Edition

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 5, 12 2:17 PM
Love this game... Enjoyed that it had more than the usual HOG's. The puzzles were a bit on the easy side, but that's fine with me. The graphic's were great and like the storyline. The hints are ok too, collect fans for hints. Really want to get this but have quite a few left to play yet so will wait on this one.. Give it 5 out of 5 stars..

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Jul 5, 12 3:23 PM
Folks, understand me well: this is a Top Class Game! Loved the Italian country atmosphere and enjoyed the beautiful graphics, the original H0 scenes and the nicely challenging minigames.

But...

... you HAVE to play the Bonusgame too, or else the story doesn't make enough sense. The main game ends abruptly and I really needed the bonusgame to put things in perspective.
Personally I find this a negative point. Why? Because the people with smaller wallets can only play the main game as the SE, and for them it will be too short and as far as the story goes, flatout disapointing.
Is this the direction in which these devs are going? Pushing more and more people to buy the Collector's Editions instead of only the SE's?

It really makes me wonder...

3 out of 5 for this game. Could have been 5 IF the main game would have been longer and more logic if you look at the story..

Kilan8
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Kilan8 on Jul 5, 12 3:29 PM
I'll admit I'm and ERS addict too. Love their games. Always keeps me guessing and using the grey cells to remember where things were. Love that. I just wish their games came out sooner.

Loved the game. Had a small glitch in the bonus game, but when I got out and came back in it was fine.

I enjoyed the storyline and I do enjoy putting stuff together, but that's just me. I'm hoping another creepy Joyville is coming down the pike. Love that series.

admiral1133
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by admiral1133 on Jul 5, 12 3:34 PM
I will never knowingly purchase a game that is timed, has money involved or makes me purchase things. NEVER !

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jul 5, 12 5:50 PM

It seems like a pretty good game so far; nothing great so far in the Demo, IMO. I used my graphics control panel to add 'saturation' to the color so that's ok, too. The scenery is pretty and the 'mood' appropriate to the theme.

On the side of things, personally, I get a tad annoyed when I use, for example, (SPOILER AHEAD) a hammer in one scene and then it disappears for the next... in fact the very next 'hunt and find' was for a hammer! Albeit not the same size, in real life it would have worked. Oh well... not 'true' adventure due to stuff like that (details and using things in inventory in logical ways)... there are a few too many H0G scenes to satisfy my adventure spirit, too. Oh I DID like the store where you could purchase inventory items to use in the quest... in fact, some of the old adventure games had that feature as well and I liked it then and like it now.

Anyhoo, it may be a buy at some point but I can probably hold my breath on this.

Well, off to finish the demo and decide to buy or not to buy.... happy gaming fishies!

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 5, 12 6:13 PM
Boy, did I say a bad word when my time ran out! I was really into this game and the time flew by. I have all but a couple of games from this developer and have never been disappointed. Well, they did it again.

Extremely nice graphics, music, voice-overs (although few) and game play. Very nice SG, and it stays on the last page you visited...always a major plus. Very nice mixture of play, e.g. HOGs, items, purchases (I don't know all the abbreviations, so this is how I explain it). The scenery was great...something different for a change and not just a castle or a hospital, etc.

I absolutely love this game and I am going to take advantage of the half price sale and go for it. I think this is one of the few games that will appeal to not only the most expert player, but beginners as well. Thanks for a great game!!

Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 5, 12 6:29 PM
I posted this in comments but am re-posting here as I think the devs need to be aware of this issue.

I agree with you about having to continually hunt for a common tool that you just had. Using a bloody scalpel when there was a knife block, filled with knives, on the counter by the sink...ridiculous. And I need something sharp in the clinic room, and there on the table is a pair of scissors, but nope, those aren't the ones they want. I really do think it is laziness and shows a decided lack of originality to have to continually hunt for the same or similar tools, over and over again in a game. Especially when some of these scenes are almost back to back. Have to admit it spoils the enjoyment for me, and I absolutely applaud those devs who have moved beyond this. I have been one who has defended ERS against many who have grown tired of their games, but for the life of me, I just can't fathom those who are giving this one high praises. The dog has been hurt and I am having to hunt for a zipper pull, and paint a mask for goodness sakes. I still love hogs, but I like some logic too, and meaningless tasks done over and over again to get these common tools remind me of some of the TM games that I once tried, and decidedly didn't like.
Those of us who love hogs have proven we will continue to buy them, even if they follow a proven formula. I love hunting for real clues, but this disposable tool thing is really irking me.

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Jul 5, 12 8:25 PM
The good
The bonus game is LONG! I think I liked it better than the actual game. I also loved that they changed up the H0 scenes.

The not so good
Typical ERS. Not much new or exciting. Their graphics are stale to me. The story isn't complete without the bonus game.

Edited on 07/05/2012 at 8:26:43 PM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 5, 12 9:38 PM
I think the bonus game was the best part of the whole game. It had regular hogs, the logic was much better than the main game. Yes, without it the story is unfinished and those who only buy the SE are not going to be happy. I still remain unimpressed and disappointed in ERS for this one.

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Jul 6, 12 12:37 AM
WolfenRaindancer wrote:I agree with you about having to continually hunt for a common tool that you just had. Using a bloody scalpel when there was a knife block, filled with knives, on the counter by the sink...ridiculous. And I need something sharp in the clinic room, and there on the table is a pair of scissors, but nope, those aren't the ones they want. I really do think it is laziness and shows a decided lack of originality to have to continually hunt for the same or similar tools, over and over again in a game. Especially when some of these scenes are almost back to back. Have to admit it spoils the enjoyment for me....

I'm equally surprised by the 100% 5 star reviews. Why this rates high when the lovely third installment of Snark Busters rates lower is hard to understand (and I hope that doesn't discourage those other developers). I guess I'm in the minority in my tastes in games. Admittedly, I only played the demo, so maybe things change as it gets going but I found this to be not only illogical but too easy.

For example of the illogical actions: if I'm a police detective, why do I just stand by and watch a body get dragged into a vineyard without chasing after the killer? Why do I need to use a shotgun to shoot down a kite? That dog is pretty darn small, I'd catch him easily. It's just doing things for the sake of doing them and, on top of that, they're not even that difficult to figure out (as long as you're not expecting to do what a reasonable person would do).

The minigames and hidden object scenes in the demo are also extremely easy. The tutorial in the "find this to do that" hidden object search was not only unnecessary but took away the only opportunity to actually think and figure things out.

On the plus side, the setting of a sunny villa is a nice change from all the dark and blue-washed games out there. It's also nice to have the different style of hidden object scenes, although the boring lay out and repeat of the same scene twice in as many minutes was a disappointment (Also, from what I hear, the regular list-style H.O.S. become more frequent as the game goes on).

This gets just a "meh" from me.

Edited on 07/06/2012 at 12:40:54 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jul 6, 12 2:51 AM
REVIEW OF COMPLETED GAME

When I see an ERS game I expect a supernatural tale, as is their want, but they surprised me with a whodunit - quite a deviation from their usual. It's a very well written story, not at all thin and predictable, but well fleshed out. It kept me guessing right to the end. Again, with the graphics, they took a different route. It is set in rural Italy and they have used a slightly faded technique to depict the rustic countryside, which I found charming and very pleasing to the eye. Black bars never bother me, but those who demand wide screen will not get it here. I liked that I was able to choose my own music from 4 different soundtracks. There are gold coins to collect throughout and a shop that sells items of use in the game. The hint/skip are fast enough for me. Care has been taken to ensure that all the mecahnics operate precisely as they should, which makes for a frustration-free experience. So many games do not pay enough attention to this aspect. ERS has done this and after so many faulty, lagging games, I could almost love them for that alone. Puzzles are also a little different, not all, but quite a few. They are not impossible, nor are they easy. They take a little work, but they are very user-friendly. The HOS were just fine. No clutter, dark corners, indistinguishable objects, or tiny ones. They have incorporated a mix of silhouette and find 12 of the same, as well as straight HOS, and these are interactive a well. There are repeat HOS and there are items, which when you use them they go and a little while later you need them again and have to find another one. This is pretty standard in these games and I don't find it much cause for complaint, myself. There is a certain element of the illogical in a few places, but these are not books or movies. This departure from the norm is very well done and I found it a really interesting game. There is certain shock element at times, due to the murders, but nothing over the top. When it comes to the BC, I cannot imagine how people will cope with the SE. The BC is integral to the story and without it, players are gong to be left hanging. It is 90 mins long and is set in new locations and is just as good as the main game. I particularly appreciated the cut-scenes, not something I have ever really taken much notice of before, but in this game they are quite striking.

If ERS have plans for more along these lines, I am right behind them.

Edited on 07/06/2012 at 3:44:17 AM PST

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jul 6, 12 3:28 AM
Im totally on the fence with this game. I own the first grim facade and like it a lot and this one entertained me but not to the point where Id buy the CE even with the sale. It seemed like everything I needed, I got right away. I remember in the first Grim Facade, the store had a lot of items to buy and it took me forever to buy most of them and I had to decipher which one I needed as some were the same price thus adding to the fun part of the game but I only have 1 item left to buy in the store when the demo ended & it tells you which one you need by putting it on the chalk board!

I do think ERS have improved. I liked their hidden object scenes that involved the silhouettes but I kept having to go repeat the same ones. It would have been better to have that in different scenes! But I did like the finding of 10 hammers, chisels etc because Id rather find all of the same object, then find butterflies, horseshoes and fleur de lis'!! I also liked how I could change the music in the store for free! Except I found most of the tracks got to be really annoying so I found myself just turning the music off. I also had the game on the hardest mode and it was still too easy for me. Love the black bar hints disabled though! thanks for that!

So why am I on the fence? I would never pay full price for the CE of this game but its on sale for 9.99 BUT I know from reading a lot of reviews for this game that the bonus chapter is literally back to back hog scenes (the usual ones) as all their bonus chapters are and that doesn't excite me and I won't need to the walkthrough because its too easy so I decided on the SE except, Ive read now that the bonus chapter is the end of the story and without it there is no conclusion so I either buy this on sale or don't buy it at all and honestly that REALLY bugs me when developers do that. In fact it turns me off to wanting to support them. So thanks but no thanks ERS. You almost had me but its not fair to the people who will buy the SE and have no ending.

MURPHY
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,237 Posts

[Post New]by MURPHY on Jul 6, 12 6:50 AM
Another fabulous game from ERS. This game is different from the others which I thought made it more interesting. Graphics as always are just beautiful and so well made. I especially love the people and the animals. Puzzles were also different from the norm. You really need to buy the CE of this game if you want to see the ending, or else it would just end very abruptly. The plot was one that ERS has never done. Hope we'll see more from them with games this well made. Five stars in my book.

ETA: I have always had wide screen play with any ERS game I have bought and that would be every single one of them! Big Fan!!!

Edited on 07/06/2012 at 7:03:40 AM PST

pia1947
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by pia1947 on Jul 6, 12 11:11 AM
Love the game but I'm sure I've played it before!!!!!!

LoveYa24
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by LoveYa24 on Jul 6, 12 11:15 AM
Since I am also on the fence about this game, I will take that as a sign that I'm not really that enamored.

Definately agree that ERS has improved in areas. I enjoyed the country atmosphere instead of a dark, hard to see mansion. There seemed to be somewhat of an actual story that had potential.

Love having the options of different game modes and love having the black box remarks turned off. Wish there had been some Achievements.

I felt the hogs and minigames were way easy but I did enjoy the hogs because they were a bit different.

Keep improving ERS, and you will win more of us back!

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jul 6, 12 2:28 PM
This game is a wow factor I am having such a good time, Thx so much ERS games you really out did this game i am a fan of yours..Keep up the good work I will be waiting for another great game..Thank you ERS for all your hard work and time you spent on this game..I was pleased with the whole game..Thx BF for having ers games with another winner..

rockey69
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by rockey69 on Jul 6, 12 3:18 PM
Started playing the free hour and I am loving this game, going to buy it with the half off coupon. It is so hot here in Mich. so I will be staying inside and playing my new game

lisanti
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

[Post New]by lisanti on Jul 6, 12 6:53 PM
crowtrobot wrote:Guess I'm the odd man out. Okay, how many of us would spend time trying to find something to pick up a piece of broken glass that we might remotely need some time in the future? Then jump through several hoops to get a key to a gate when the wall to the right of the gate you could just step over? Why are you obsessesed about breaking into a wine cask that is sitting on apath that a body was just dragged down? I know how the shop thing works from the first Grim game, but this time I had no clue what I was supposed to buy. In the first Grim game it was obvious; it was the only thing you had enough money for. I admit I didn't look to see howm uch money I had; I just couldn't decide between the saw, the scythe and playing the jukebox. I could have used a token for the machine outside but there wasn't one anywhere I could find.

How many dogs were there, or were they all the same dog?

So a shopkeeper keeps his shop on an estate that keeps its gates locked?

My logic-meter has just exploded. Was there a plot?

This is exactly what I thought as I played the demo. I don't mind suspending belief, and I'm okay with some contradictions in a story, but ignoring the dead body? And, oh, before I even look at the diary, let me fix this birdhouse? I loved the first Grim Facade,but this one looked clunky - I'm passing.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 6, 12 10:37 PM
Good and bad points. ERS game great graphics, sound, and game play. Unfortunately, ERS is no longer on the cutting edge, but still one of my favorite developers. This game requires that you collect gold to buy things at the local general store. I usually do not like this type of thing, but it seems the developer keeps track of how many you have collected and how many you need and somehow you seem to find exactly how many you need just before you need them.The story itself was a disappointment as without the bonus game it made no sense. Try the demo, pays your nickle and takes yer chances

jessmom01
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by jessmom01 on Jul 7, 12 11:14 AM
based on the demo - i was pretty excited about this based on all the 5 star reviews, & happy that ERS has started to branch out different directions from the same ol' routine. This feels like a crime/mystery HOPA, more adventure than HO, with some unusual HOscenes that involve finding & using serial, interactive items, which is a nice change. Graphix are decent, tho' we've seen much better from ERS. Many scenes & cutscenes have that foggy/gauzy look that imo is over-used by the dev, & detracts from rather than adds to the atmosphere. There's lots of back & forth as would be expected in adventure play, but a lot of it seems like movement for the sake of movement, rather than to advance your investigation. And gameplay is easier than i'd expect/hope for when the adventure aspect is emphasized. This is making Sinister Obsession feel a tad more tedious than fun for me so far, & i'm hoping that gets better as the game progresses. Voice overs are good, puzzles/minis so far are fun, & the story is inviting. Some reviewers have indicated that the bonus game of the CE is necessary to the plot, which bothers me - if the bonus enhances it, great, but if SE buyers get an incomplete game experience due to lack of the bonus play, it's a bad idea. I'm on the fence with this one: not loving it like so many others, but liking it & curious about where the mystery leads, & where ERS is going, so...think I'll press 'buy now' & find out. Have fun gaming, folks!

Go to: