cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

Re:Comments for A Gnome's Home: The Great Crystal Crusade

[Post New]by cagamenut on Jul 10, 12 10:52 AM
I use games like this when I'm too tired to concentrate on HO games but there is no relaxed play option. That means a no buy for me. I love watching those little guys work but it's not enjoyment if I'm watching the timer bar instead of the graphics. So easy to add relaxed play and let the player decide.

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Jul 10, 12 11:13 AM
I'll chime in, also. I would have bought this game too had it not been for the timer. I'm particularly disappointed that you have to replay the level after the timer runs out. I like playing games for fun. It's sad that most of these developers just don't care. But they're stupid for that. People complain about this ALL the time.

Another arrogant and useless developer that won't get my money.

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Jul 10, 12 12:44 PM
I´m also very disappointed with the timer , I only managed to get gold on the first two levels (no big castle for me) of course it´s a no buy for me

I´m waiting for Adelando and Northern Tales...

pinkbear022
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by pinkbear022 on Jul 10, 12 2:27 PM
I agree with everyone about the timer and that you can't continue playing if you don't finish in time. There should be a no timer option or you should be able to continue the game. I hope they'll offer this option ~I would like to buy this game!

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jul 10, 12 3:05 PM
I was really looking forward to this one, but I see the timer issue and the limited resources. So a no-buy for me

nanou_CJ
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by nanou_CJ on Jul 10, 12 3:12 PM
Well, I won't be so negative. I played half the demo. Of course, I got gold twice only ... oops But I really liked everything about the artwork. It's really cute, original, and different, in some ways, compared to other similar TM builders. Amazing too, the way new employees arrive

And... the mechanics of the game are unusual, so it takes time to get comfortable with it. But THIS brings fresh air in the genre (well, I guess so... As I said earlier, I'm more like "intermediate", and I am far from knowing all existing TMs one by one...)

So, on the contrary to my 1st comment this morning, I might consider this one. For the moment, I have other priorities. But depending on how it goes, if I still have a PCC in the end of the month... I might go for this one, no matter the predictable & regular moments of frustration, because I'll run out of time

True : a relaxed mode would have convinced many more players..

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jul 10, 12 4:45 PM
i was able to complete the game w/o restarting any levels, but.....i sure dont see how gold is attainable,,,especially since you dont get to use your powerups,

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jul 10, 12 9:19 PM
bella81762 wrote:i was able to complete the game w/o restarting any levels, but.....i sure dont see how gold is attainable,,,especially since you dont get to use your powerups,

I agree. I've only played about half the game, but no gold after the first few. That gold time really goes fast and on some levels the silver time is very short.

I've not had trouble finishing before the bronze runs out. Seems to be a very long timer for it. But I think it'll rank up there with Campgrounds and one of the MKFTP games which were 2 that I never was able to get gold on all levels.

mamachi
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by mamachi on Jul 10, 12 11:24 PM
Why do this game have to be so hard. Many costumers here in Big Fish want to enjoy there games. Please put an easy or relaxed mode into this game and I will buy.

nanou_CJ
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by nanou_CJ on Jul 11, 12 2:47 AM
This game is definitely cute. There are lots of features that I like.. BUT... it is so difficult and challenging for me. I needed the full 1-hour demo, just to get gold in the first 5 levels !! Yeah !! Sounds ridiculous, I know

Gosh !!! I guess I need to practice a lot more with the other TMs I own, before I buy this one

Also, don't know if others had the same "problem". Sometimes I click to assign a task (and I know at least 1 worker is free). But it won't respond. And I have to click again, one or two times, before it works...

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jul 11, 12 6:41 AM
Talk about addictive . When I first started playing it I thought it was stupid but the more I played it, the more I couldn't stop playing it. LOL. I'll get my airship off the ground in gold level yet.

phisherman
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by phisherman on Jul 11, 12 8:30 AM
This is getting ridiculous. I have a credit sitting here and cannot use because of the terrible selection of games recently.

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Jul 11, 12 10:08 AM
Ridiculous timer makes it a no for me.

If I'm struggling early in a game, I don't want to think what the latter levels will be like. Feels like this game only has one mode and that's expert.

The developers should have had enough tact to offer 3 levels. Would it have killed them to offer easy, normal, and expert?

If you're only going to offer only one mode then play it safe by offering normal mode and not one of the extremes.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 11, 12 11:38 AM
It's fair enough to wish for completely separate difficulty modes and to say so, but it's a bit unfair (IMO) to suggest that the devs didn't consider different abilities in setting this up because it seems likely that is how they intended the bronze, silver and gold targets to be used: Different targets offering different levels of difficulty.

I'm sorry that some are not enjoying it, but on a personal note I am delighted to get a game which requires thought and not just being able to plod quickly through something straightforward to get gold.

And to be fair to players like myself - we don't get many challenging games these days - I had just about given up on the road clearing genre as too samey and far too easy to get gold by following obvious paths. Had stopped buying them or even rushing to demo.

Thankfully, playing this game requires a bit more thought in balancing number of workers v. other needs for the food units, trying to keep those on short tasks (gathering food/gold) near each other so can more easily keep them working there and avoid time wasted going back to house when there is work to be done, and other approaches not often needed in other road clearing games.

Because resources do not regenerate it's possible to look at it before starting the timer and see exactly how much of everything you will have to work with. I don't mean adding it all up LOL, but just a general view. For example, if you can see that there will be a shortage of food until a certain island is reached, best not to buy extra workers too early. But if there is an abundance of bushes round the workers' camp and starting with only 1 worker as in some levels, then time to get an extra man or men and get harvesting asap etc.

But I do hope the devs will see sense and, as a minimum, make a fix to allow playing after the timer runs out for the huge number of people that can only enjoy it that way. I am as surprised it doesn't have that as I was when RE2 didn't. I thought that was pretty much par for the course now.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 4:01:15 PM PST

dove947
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by dove947 on Jul 11, 12 3:35 PM
I was super excited to see a new builder TM game and bought it without trying it first. Dumb move. I hate that the time is SO fast, that it is impossible to get gold on most levels, and I'm pretty good at these games. Normally I wouldn't care so much about getting gold, because I can play a level a few times and get gold, in the other builder TM games that I have. But this requires gold to rebuild the little town. I am very discouraged and THAT is not why I buy games. I buy them to relax and have fun.

[Post New]by lesleyvance501 on Jul 18, 12 6:30 AM
After having commented that level 22 was ridiculous, and it was, I just want to say that I finished the games and the rest of the levels are more reasonable. I agree with what everyone is saying about the gold requirement. To have a relaxing good time playing, you should be able to see the gnome village get repaired and you certainly should be able to move on to the next level without getting gold. Just a note, did anyone else's road not get repaired by the end? There is a big crack in the road in the gnome village and I thought it got fixed during one of the levels, but by the end, there was a beautiful gnome village with a big crack in the road. haha

[Post New]by cottoncandy2 on Jul 19, 12 10:47 AM
What annoys me most is the fact that I have to keep resetting the custom cursor. Why doesn't it just stay to the setting I want?

kiwichook
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by kiwichook on Jul 24, 12 3:49 PM
I like TM games such as My Kingdom for a Princess etc and I like this but I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo frustrated. I have achieved gold on all levels except for level 22. I tried a million times (or so it seems) I have gold right up until level completed when I see it drop to silver
and my time 1.30.

I can't get past 1.30. Note to developers be REALISTIC. My Kingdom for a Princess shows your time plus developers time so my challenge was always to beat the developers time which I did on several levels giving a sense of achievement.

This is a cute game but not getting gold on all levels leaves me VERY FRUSTRATED!

Go to: