machamc
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

Re:Reviews for Gnome's Home: The Great Crystal Crusade

[Post New]by machamc on Jul 10, 12 10:34 AM
I have to chime in too. Love the game, love the music, but cannot work these old fingers and brain fast enough to complete the levels in time. Hope the developers are keeping tabs on the reviews and can give us the chance to continue working after gold, silver and bronze time runs out. I could care less about the rewards! Just would enjoy playing! Also, don't understand about the castle, did I miss something?

I just went to the developer's website and they don't even show this game - is it really Blam! Games? They produced the Fierce Tales - Dogs Heart and on that forum had a feedback section where they responded to customers comments.

Edited on 07/10/2012 at 10:57:28 AM PST

[Post New]by MemorableMovies on Jul 10, 12 5:04 PM
I totally agree with Valdy. This game is really cute and I would have enjoyed playing it but having a timer and having to repeat levels is a deal breaker for me. There is no point of playing a game if you can't do so to relax and enjoy it. Had there been a relaxed mode, I would have bought this in an instant.

INGamePlayer
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by INGamePlayer on Jul 10, 12 7:45 PM
I'm disappointed. I was pleasantly surprised to find a new builder game, and couldn't wait to try it. I love the builder games, I own all of them in the My Kingdom For The Princess and Roads To Rome series, plus others in the genre, and I can't see playing them without a timer--what would be the point of the competition? BUT, having said that, this game's timer is ridiculously short. If there is not a chance for me to finish in the gold time, I'm not going to spend money on it. I will probably wait to see if the developers release an update with a reasonable timer, or possibly spend a free game coupon on it if they don't.

I also don't find the graphics to be anywhere close to those of the MKFTP and other series, which are a delight to the eyes with so much to look at. This one is pretty basic, with just the figures and locations you absolutely need for the round. It doesn't seem to have the depth of color or magical quality of the others for me. So I'm still really unsure whether to even spend a free coupon. Too bad....

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jul 10, 12 8:37 PM
I really like the gameplay of this game. Some of the irritating things about other games of this type have been taken out of this game.

You do have to mouse-over resources to collect them, but no clicking and no little worker has to carry them back to the house. This is a great improvement in my opinion.

Workers can continue the next task from their current location. They will return to the house if you do not assign them a task right away.

There is a lot of strategy involved in getting gold on the levels. It's not just a click fest.

The colors are bright with a lot of cute graphic details.

I've played about half of the game and have managed silver on most levels, but no gold since the earliest ones. I'm not energetic enough right now to replay for gold before proceeding in the game. If I wait and go back to replay for gold it's like a new game all over again for me. Much more worthy of the spent than most of the H0 type games which I never replay.

I understand those who are "put-off" by not being able to continue in the game if a level is not finished in bronze time. When I first started playing these I felt the same way (and may again if I run into one of 'those' levels).
Hopefully, the developers will issue an update with the choice of deactivating the timer.

Overall I rate this game in the category of Royal Envoy which is my all time favorite of this type of game.

Kudos to the developers for bringing us a quality TM/Strategy game.

Waazzaa
Guppy
Guppy
102 Posts

[Post New]by Waazzaa on Jul 10, 12 10:56 PM
Would enjoy this if there was a relaxed (i.e. no timer) mode. Since there is not, I won't be buying it!!

ShazPG
Clownfish
Clownfish
688 Posts

[Post New]by ShazPG on Jul 11, 12 1:24 AM
This is a very cute game - love the graphics, and I'm liking the music and sound effects.

I wish the resources would be gathered automatically instead of having to even mouse over them - if it's a choice between collecting them myself or waiting for the worker to return them to the cottage, I'd rather let the worker do it. I'm much more interested in assigning workers and planning my next move than zipping all over the screen trying to pick things up before they disappear (and having my workers start running back home 'cause they're tired of waiting for me to assign them).

I'm finding the timer is far too short. I've had to play a few levels over to get gold, which is okay, and I've had to look for help on one level, which is also okay, but I'm getting the distinct feeling that if I want gold or even silver, I'm going to be looking for a walkthrough for just about every level from about 10 onwards. I'm barely getting silver now, and I don't like to move on until I've got gold. And I don't like having to search for someone else's solution on most of the levels - where's the satisfaction in that?

I bought this without trialing, but even if I'd waited until I played the first 10 levels or so, I probably still would have bought it. Now I'm having pangs of regret - expecting it to just get harder and harder, and hearing there are a couple of other tm/builder games on their way soon, I think I'd rather have saved my money for those.

More time for gold, please.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Jul 11, 12 2:06 AM
I loved this game, good graphics, cutesy characters. BUT its really hard. On Lv2 and already got silver after that! Walkthrough pleeze! It easy enough to figure out what to do, but how to get Gold is the question! After playing 1 round lv2, I replayed same round this time knowing I need jam more than wood, etc and left some trees uncut to save on food (coz u need food to cut trees. Some trees are "free" just gave u 2 wood if u cut it. Those I will cut, those needing food, skip, unless its blocking to the jam machines and such impt facilities!)

LOL silver was good enough but guess what?? My castle kinda look like a miniature hut, I am NOT even sure I wanted to live in it, much less get married and get a princess to live in!

Wicked funny, why the developers dont have a relaxed mode so I can build my castle and see how that looks like!

Ratings: 4/5 (A definite buy)

BTW: I finished the Kindgom Chronicles Collectors edition which is in the same vein as this game with all Gold! Hah

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Jul 11, 12 3:25 AM
Cute game - well done but no casual mode = no buy...sorry should have listened to your testers - why bother having the game beta'd if you ignore a consistent recommendation? Many gamers have physical limitations but still love to play this type of game...it's a shame because it's a fun game...

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 3:43:31 AM PST

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Jul 11, 12 5:14 AM
I have edited my review to include new information: the developers listened to us and updated the game with 3 levels of difficulty so now we can all enjoy playing this game which pretty much eliminates most of my cons below. i'm off to buy and also very happy that they listened to these critiques and made such a quick solution for those of us who were on the fence. thank you and devs for making this happen! please keep this all in mind when you read my review below.

i really enjoyed this game but am still on the fence about buying it.
the cons:

-no casual mode or continuing if you can't make at least bronze. i'm sure they thought you need a minimum standard to progress in the game...but why? the people who are achievement freaks will go back and replay it over and over to get gold anyway and the developers have now eliminated a group of people who simply cannot play faster because of physical limitations. bad call there devs.

-you can't chain activities. this always annoys me when the developer won't let you chain tasks, especially when you have the following

-a brutal gold timer. honestly getting gold on this game might be a little too hard. as a fan of this type of game i've pretty much played them all and the way to put more challenge in the game shouldn't be to crunch gold time so its an absolute frenzy, but maybe to introduce something new, some variety in the game that hasn't been seen before. you guys may want to lighten up on that timer because as seen over and over in the comments people aren't able to continue in the game or really enjoy the gameplay because its just a bit too demanding. why not introduce a choice of regular or hard gameplay modes maybe?

the pros:

-graphics are cute and colorful

-i tend to really like these type of MKfP and Royal Envoy type games so i am having some fun with it

-i think the story is kind of a cute one and i like the whole underground gnomes theme

all in all i just can't decide if the pros are enough to outweigh the cons for me. i definitely don't feel compelled to buy it right this second...i may wait and use a free punch later this month or wait for another sale. i guess i'll have to see how bored and desperate i get for something to play lol. the game is worth a demo, so give it a try.

happy gaming

Edited on 07/14/2012 at 4:59:36 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 11, 12 5:48 AM

Edited on 07/17/2012 at 9:44:47 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 11, 12 9:04 AM
I am LOVING this game - bought it right away despite having intended to save any purchases up until the next BOGOFF weekend as I have a list of games that I will only get as the freebie on such a sale so I need to save good games to be the ones I pay for at that time. I was loving the challenge so much that I had to buy it straight away.

I am surprised to see so many comments about how it's the timer that is is too tight because I am getting golds on most levels so far so long as I use an efficient strategy and often with time to spare (I am about to start level 21 and have only left level 9 to go back to - not giving up on that yet but keen to keep going and reach this level 22 that people are talking about - what can I say - I love a challenge ).

I find this game full of new features which mean that I have to use different strategy to other road clearing games. As a result I didn't get that far in the demo but I am now getting on quite well with it, and in levels such as the swamp ones I actually got gold first time for most of those.

I really really hope that the devs don't give into pressure to lengthen the timer for the gold achievement. I usually find such road clearing games too easy to get gold first time or second one and usually lose interest easily. I thought that was the point of having bronze, silver and gold - so that those who are already experts still get a great challenge but there are other levels to aim at for people who are unable to reach that stage yet, with the gold to play for in the future.

But I do agree, for others' sake, that it should be possible to play on after the timer runs out and I will post that opinion in the dev's thread.

On getting golds for anyone reading who doesn't mind timers but is concerned about whether they will be able to get golds here...............
.............I don't believe that the times that I got gold had anything to do with clicking any faster than the times when I didn't. I just did things in a different order (for example: gave more or less priority to getting a certain factory going), or managed with one less worker so I'd have 3 more food available at a critical moment, or bought one more extra worker earlier, or recognised that I could leave an entire section of the level untouched and still meet the goal etc.

After all the goal is not to clear everything - the goals vary for each level.

to be contd...........

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 11:19:18 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 11, 12 9:29 AM
........ contd

New features include each new worker costing a one-off fee of 3 food units, and the biggie for me is the way food is collected.

Instead of clicking on a food resource, having the little man collect it and run back with it then wait to be sent somewhere else, each bush yields several single units of food so you can click on it each time the collector finished to have him stay there and collect another (that will pick up the one he just gathered too as your mouse passes over it).

The fact that the workers don't always have to go back to the house, and even pause very briefly after finishing a task to wait for instructions, means that you can save a lot of time if you manage to keep them all working and reduce the time they spend running back home.

There is also a way to make keeping them all busy much more manageable: If you can arrange it so that any who are gathering food or gold (the shortest tasks) are working in roughly the same area of the scene, you can cycle between them to keep them working without any need to be moving the mouse around so much to keep them all busy.

Even though I do lap up fast TM games I am still someone who can get a tired hand and need to take a break sometimes on the especially clicky ones (Hidden World for example) but I am not finding this one especially clicky, compared to others of the genre.

But that's me comparing it to other timed games for anyone else with my taste in games. I do agree (as I said above) that the devs ought to do a patch which allows continued play after the timer runs out.

Another thing which is different about this game is that different sections of the 'world' have different methods of getting between the islands within a level, which adds nice variety.

For myself and other players who like timed games and needing strategic thinking to get gold, I'd call it interesting and original within the genre and I give it .

But I do think it should be given a patch to allow continued play after the timer runs out for those not keen on timers. It's kind of a waste of a great game to exclude so many fans of the genre.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 9:33:37 AM PST

[Post New]by OregonTeddy on Jul 11, 12 10:00 AM
Oh Fishies look out! We are definately needing a walkthrough for this game! I think we were so desperate for a new road game that we jumped too fast on this one. It seems very much like a beta version...the elderly lady keeps saying the same thing in between levels, some of the instructions seem to be missing (as in how to upgrade a factory) and you cant play in relaxed mode...you have to start over if you don't get a star! Totally frustrating, but I bought it anyway!!

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jul 12, 12 12:01 AM
Adorable, cheerful and fun. There really is no need for a walkthrough as it is basically getting a strategy down and as far as a timer, well, you can restart every level if you really want to get all three stars. Also, there are tutorials if you need them.

I thought it was a lot of fun and even though I am an adventure gamer, I'm getting more into the TM and Strategy games because they are at least happy.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Jul 12, 12 10:22 PM
FORTUNATUS wrote:Adorable, cheerful and fun. There really is no need for a walkthrough as it is basically getting a strategy down and as far as a timer, well, you can restart every level if you really want to get all three stars. Also, there are tutorials if you need them.

I thought it was a lot of fun and even though I am an adventure gamer, I'm getting more into the TM and Strategy games because they are at least happy.

Hey, I totally agree with everything you say! Yet... I find the untimely timing to kinda ruin just a bit of my fun anyways... the game is great yeah! I love these kind of games and I love all games created by whoever's in charge of this. I love managing my resources according to given time and no, as good as I may be at most of these type of games, here? getting the gold is a pain in the can't do it weather the sun shines or it don't. It's off and I would love to have some improvement in this matter, so as many of, I think.
I'm not sorry I bought it, I'm playing it at the moment and it is great fun! Just the off timing thing, kinda feels like more in the game than in my game-play abilities and yes, it just a bit bugs me. This could be a total 5 star for me.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Jul 12, 12 10:49 PM
I don't understand this, isn't getting the gold part of the fun for at least some of you guys? Then why does it sometime sounds like TM lovers are trying to be brainwashed to dig more into HOGs. Why? Oh and SORRY, no can do.
I love TM games, don't mind looking for some objects here and there, I love interactive games too, but games that insult my fine TM intelligence? oh come'on! I am so happy this company (what's the name again?) made another game 'cause they are always great, this is too but I am not complaining about not being able to move on, I'm complaining about timing untested or something that disables even fine TM players, at some levels, from enjoying part of their fun and challenge.
I do like the not having to run back and just waving your mouse like a wand thing, sure! Very creative people did this, no doubt at all. Just a bit TM wise frustrating.

[Post New]by Mayla5 on Jul 13, 12 3:14 AM
I love TM games and this one looked very promising. It was just to hard so no buy for me until they give you an option to continue or light up the timer a big chunk.

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Jul 13, 12 4:52 AM
Mayla5 wrote:I love TM games and this one looked very promising. It was just to hard so no buy for me until they give you an option to continue or light up the timer a big chunk.

You know what? I gotta take back most of what I've said. I've been replaying the game, got to level 20 so far and did manage to get gold star on all, so it is possible and I am more optimistic now, yet I got like 40 more levels to go, so.
This game is different, it's got it's own twist, I like it.

obrien60
Guppy
Guppy
168 Posts

[Post New]by obrien60 on Jul 13, 12 12:43 PM
All you click fanatics can luv it all you like. I personally don't enjoy playing one level several dozen times to figure out the exact only way to get gold. I like this type of game but do not enjoy not being able to win as a normal human being.

Level 22 is a prime example of this nonsense. Sorry I spent the money.

Edited on 07/13/2012 at 12:48:19 PM PST

efi24
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,228 Posts

[Post New]by efi24 on Jul 13, 12 1:04 PM
obrien60 wrote:All you click fanatics can luv it all you like. I personally don't enjoy playing one level several dozen times to figure out the exact only way to get gold. I like this type of game but do not enjoy not being able to win as a normal human being.

Level 22 is a prime example of this nonsense. Sorry I spent the money.

no need to call names... you are right, I talked too fast again and totally stuck at level 22, probably more of those impossible levels to go, it is very frustrating and annoying, I agree. But the game is very cute.

Go to: