12angels
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Promised Land

[Post New]by 12angels on Jul 14, 12 3:52 PM
good clean fun all around. not a hard game and shorter than VV. you get very good instructions and if their are no instructions everything you need is in this forum, Worth the buy!

[Post New]by Veryghoster on Jul 14, 12 8:11 PM

Edited on 07/15/2012 at 4:55:22 AM PST

misnomer
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by misnomer on Jul 17, 12 7:49 AM
I love this type of game! I'm so glad, I've been waiting too long for one of these to come out...almost gave up.

Promised Land is like VV, but there are some marked improvements, which I was glad to see. For one, you can hover over an area, and see how many people you've assigned to it. Saves a lot of time when you're managing the whole island! Also, you can drag the villager from the little icon on the left, directly onto the screen at any place you want. Nice features, and I played the game every chance I got until I finished it. Might even play again

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jul 17, 12 11:16 AM
REVIEW ON COMPLETED GAME
To say that I absolutely adored this game would be putting it mildly. It is in a league of it's own. It bears no resemblance to anything else in it's genre. To me it is a whole different genre. It's a BIG game in every way. Beautiful graphics in wide screen. Big people. Big buildings. There is so much to do in it, it kept me on my toes for 20 hours over many days and I could not get enough of it. It is the most addictive game I have ever played.

The strange thing is that I do not even like this sort of thing, though I do own a couple which I bought when I had nothing else to play. I do demo them and nothing I have ever tried holds a candle to this. I christen this game Virtual Management and it is now my most favourite genre, and this from a die-hard CE addict.

It's a knock your socks off, blow you away, awesome accomplishment by a bunch of exceptionally talented and innovative devs who have my unstinting admiration.

a 5 star, 10/10, blockbuster of a game. Thank you ****, you rule. Make another one, quick.

vixen999
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by vixen999 on Jul 17, 12 5:23 PM
I really like this game. I actually beta-tested it. The only complaint is that it goes a little slowly at times and some steps are not very obvious. But, I have not played any other game since I purchased this one!

Also, I have one body-less character who floats around carrying her items. All you can see is her head and the items she is carrying. Not a part of the game? The highest compliment is that I will miss playing this game when I have finished it!

Also, I am not RPG player but liked this game.

Edited on 07/17/2012 at 5:27:25 PM PST

lcjdqs
Clownfish
Clownfish
691 Posts

[Post New]by lcjdqs on Jul 18, 12 3:32 PM
Wow! A game where they feed themselves, heal themselves. A lot like artist colony, but so much better. This game has me sitting and reading while my little people build their promised land. This is a must play, my 4th time to be playing. So much fun.

[Post New]by RenaissanceMom on Jul 18, 12 7:18 PM
The only other games I've played that I can compare this to are Artist Colony and Little Folk of Faery, both of which I truly loved despite their shortcomings. But Promised Land has proven to be a huge improvement in the genre and I have been utterly, hopelessly addicted since buying it 2 days ago. When not playing I find myself taking notes on each individual character and the gameplay... um, perhaps I'm taking it all a bit too seriously?

MABJBMB
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by MABJBMB on Jul 18, 12 9:53 PM
Sorry, I deleted this game after many attempts to play it. I would have loved to learn how to move forward, but as many have already commented, there is inadequate directions. I know I'm a novice at this kind of game, but what I played made me want to learn and buy - just for the fun that I thought it could be. I just needed a better tutorial. I thank those who tried to help.

Spad
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

[Post New]by Spad on Jul 19, 12 1:47 PM
I love strategy games and TM games, but I got through the first 30 min of the demo, and I found this game quite boring. Don't know exactly why, but the gameplay seemed a bit slow.
This wil not be a buy for me...

[Post New]by Minagirl777 on Jul 20, 12 3:55 AM
I just love this - totally hooked, so involving, adore the little peeps and their responses; how cute and funny they are!! If I only could buy one game to keep me busy , this would be the one, for sure! All other games have been bypassed by this, imho - excellent!!

angus1234
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by angus1234 on Jul 20, 12 8:40 PM
bookwriter wrote:Played for awhile but couldn't figure out how to build a house for the survivor that appeared. Tutorial is lacking greatly. Graphics are really cute and music is nice, but game play was nonexistent for me because of lack of direction. I tried everything I knew to do with no advancement, so it is a definite no buy for me today, which is a shame because it really is a cute game.
PS I did go to the forums for direction but what concerns me is if I am having trouble this little into the game, what am I going to face later on?

I too am new to this type of game and could not figure out how to build a house. I reinstalled it twice and feel like a real dope. Do you first purchase the house? If so, how?

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

Pirate mini games make me sick

[Post New]by elizaew on Jul 21, 12 2:11 PM
Developers please take note! Some of us can't take this kind of movement. Please don't do this!!! Or - at the very least - give a skip option so it doesn't affect game play.

elizaew
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
408 Posts

I feel cheated !

[Post New]by elizaew on Jul 21, 12 5:33 PM
It turns out that I MUST complete the pirate challenges to get an item that is essential to completing the virtual/sim game. I can't play the pirate challenge - moreover - I didn't know I was buying THAT kind of game. The pirate game makes me seasick and gives me a terrible headache. I simply cannot do it. On the other hand, I love the sim game that I thought I was buying. Now I feel cheated because I can't complete it. I am thinking of asking for my money back. I have never done that before - but this is so unfair!

nrfaulk
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by nrfaulk on Jul 21, 12 7:49 PM
I like it. I agree that it's good, clean fun. I also agree that the tutorial is very much lacking in terms of providing information one needs to play the game. I love the pirate interludes and find myself replaying these mini-games while I wait for things to add up or develop. What I really DON'T like is the ending. What a let down! "What is it?" "Where is it?" "Wow, it's the neatest thing I've ever seen!" or some such remarks as that, and then it's just over. "And then we had a party." Big whoop. I usually quit after I get all the pieces of the seal and don't even bother to restore the temple. But other than that, I've enjoyed playing the game.

Edited on 07/31/2012 at 4:52:31 PM PST

GoThDoLL
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by GoThDoLL on Jul 23, 12 1:53 PM
This game cracks me up, lol! Who likes "Angry Birds" ? If you do, then you'll love fighting the pirates (at least that is what happens in the very first battle encounter). When fighting them, simply left click and hold left mouse button near the back side of the cannon and pull it's back side as far out as needed to get the right trajectory. Aim and knock over the platforms that the pirates are standing on. You can earn fast money that way to get workers and other buildings, not found on building screen, that convert raw goods into more expensive products,etc, send your newly built ship to the capital. Those of you who struggle with the building and upgrading your buildings; Located in the lower right corner of the game screen there is a steeple like icon. Click on that to pull up the building menu. Each building and their prospective upgrades will cost a certain amount of money. Good graphics with options to adjust ambient sound, the annoying voice over sound (reg sound), and the music. If the system cursor is on the clumsy side of being in the way, just opt to deselect it. Full screen and windowed seem to be the only 2 options for resolution size. Game play is reasonably straight forward with some room for figuring things out own your own. Also it is not bogged down with a lot of having to continuously drop worker(s) on task to perform; they get it the first time (unlike V.V.) At first, the game did seem to run in real time, but I am leaning towards "doesn't run in real time", because there is no option for speeding up, slowing down, or pausing time. If it does, maybe there are some other elements that need to come into play before it officially does so- I am in the early stages (post building ship and 1st pirate battle) to know for certain. Fun game though. It's definitely worth spending my bonus game punch award on,, lol. Enjoy!

GoThDoLL
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by GoThDoLL on Jul 23, 12 2:09 PM
MABJBMB wrote:Sorry, I deleted this game after many attempts to play it. I would have loved to learn how to move forward, but as many have already commented, there is inadequate directions. I know I'm a novice at this kind of game, but what I played made me want to learn and buy - just for the fun that I thought it could be. I just needed a better tutorial. I thank those who tried to help.

Some games will have you pulling your hair out,(obviously, this was one of them.) You really don't need to "move" them per say as in perhaps where manually directing each and every back and forth left and right motions go. To move characters in the game, simply left click on the desired person and drag them to wherever you want them to be. For instance, if you want them to pick fruit off the trees, just put that person near/on the bush and automatically, that little guy/gal will start picking the fruit off the tree (same principle applies to other activities, e.g, eating, chopping &gathering wood. To move around on the game areas to see what is out there, left click the ground and drag your mouse in any direction you are wanting to see. Pop up windows will appear almost every time you turn around in the very first parts of colonizing your lil' people. Make sure you close out those pop up windows, or you won't be able to do anything. Task(s) will appear on the bottom as you continue game play (this gives you the direction you need to go in), especially in the initial stages of game play. In another post composed by yours truly, I have offered some clarity to the confusion of building and upgrading. I hope this helps. Do give the game another chance, it really is a lot more fun than you think.

jakecarew
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by jakecarew on Jul 25, 12 12:09 PM
I haven't finished it yet, but wanted to mention a few things.

One, I had the same problem many people have had. You really have to hover your player over an exact spot to get them to do something. I bought the well and thought it was done because I put a player over it several times and didn't see anything. After I couldn't go any further in the game, I accidentally found the hammer so I could build the well. Same thing with getting people to eat.

Took a while to figure out the first mini-game as well. The directions for how to shoot the cannon ala Angry Birds made no sense. Just trial and error before I figured it out.

There are some kinks to work out but I much prefer this type of game to all the ghostly murder and shadows games that BFG seems to have emphasized the past few years.

[Post New]by chesherecat on Aug 12, 12 7:51 PM
I am Quite member here and don't normally say anything on the games
but now I say this

I bought this game by reading the reviews thought ohhh yes I am going straight in and buy... but omg!!! I wished I had given it a trial first... it's nothing like virtual villagers!! it's so annoying they come up with sell this and that.... when you do not have enough materials to sell so you loose the bonus also through doing so the captions stop the play and you cannot gain food or anything else
Do not buy if you love virtual villagers you will be so disappointed not a good buy for me I hate this game more fool me for buying it before trying it

Edited on 08/12/2012 at 7:54:50 PM PST

I feel cheated !

[Post New]by chesherecat on Aug 12, 12 8:01 PM
elizaew wrote:It turns out that I MUST complete the pirate challenges to get an item that is essential to completing the virtual/sim game. I can't play the pirate challenge - moreover - I didn't know I was buying THAT kind of game. The pirate game makes me seasick and gives me a terrible headache. I simply cannot do it. On the other hand, I love the sim game that I thought I was buying. Now I feel cheated because I can't complete it. I am thinking of asking for my money back. I have never done that before - but this is so unfair!

me too I want my money back!!! the game is terrible

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Aug 16, 12 7:23 PM
I have been a Virtual Villages fan for many years always had an island running to go back to between other games, it is real time but leave it on Pause to stop progress. I have tried every other newer games in this genre and could not warm up to them, including some TMs, Kingdom Chronicles and Royal Envoy. Those bored me after a few levels, I felt like a slave master. So I did not expect to like this and at first missing some VV elements.

WOW was I wrong, in fact it is hard to compare this game to any other, and I've over 400 games in HIstory. Negs - I miss renaming my folks to remember them or feel more closely familiar. In replays you get same folks, different random names, that is confusing as Robert your builder may be Jack next time. PROs go on and on. I love being able to sell my different items for gold and crowns to buy what I need. So it isn't just constant slow tech points like VVupgrades. But here we buy the lab and need someone to rack up education points, thus needing 3 things to buy or upgrade, money, crowns and smarts, (the blue hat count). It can be played linear or non, jump around if a task is something you aren't ready to do, choose another. I'm in my 8th colony after finishing 7 and each game is different. In a month I have not played any other games altho I stop, demo, maybe buy on sale, but back to another Promised Land. It is mostly just logic, hover over things, see what you need, no guessing as in VV and proceed at your own pace. I can manage a whole colony and finish with just 20 people, more is chaos. But at the end I do take in max 50 just to get gold medal on that one, but not necessary.

I didn't think I could do the pirate/canon at all until I noticed the white tracer dots in the sky of my former shot. Slowly move next up or down a tad to hit target, then I noticed you can pull lit fuse back farther for velocity?speed? and it got so simple. Nothing to do with speed, no moving mouse other than steady grip on mouse with left button, then release button to shoot when your EYE sees the arc tracer dots. Such fun I keep going back to play again. And, close your eyes if the dragging of screen bothers you or makes you dizzy. Just get back to see the canon and tracer shots in the sky. This is the first of that type of "arcade"? game I have been able to play. Use your eye, not your hand, then slowwwwly release left button. Doesn't matter if you get 1 star or 4, you progress, or can replay each one,

Edited on 08/16/2012 at 7:24:25 PM PST

Go to: