Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Wishes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 12, 12 11:49 AM
Like this game a lot. Enjoying the the story and music is great too. Like the way hints are given to you, and you have to figure them out yourself. Graphics are great too and have another half hour to go so will add more later, but know this it will be a game I buy.. Give this 4 out of 5 stars but it might make another one by the time I end the trial. Wow.. so many things to solve.. Like the map that you get from the little live puppet and it gives all the things you need to do at the location. Will prove to be a good one to solve and here we go.. Will give it another too.

Edited on 07/12/2012 at 12:28:19 PM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 12, 12 12:02 PM
As usual, Elephant Games did it again. I have almost all of their games and have yet to be disappointed.

Excellent graphics and game play; nice voice-overs (just wish the mouth would keep up with the voice); nice music (changes as needed for FX); nice hint system (actually gives you a hint). I really like the map. It saves a lot of time and frustration to "jump" to a location rather than trying to remember where it was in the first place. Very nice SG as well, stays on the last page you visited (which I prefer).

This game draws you in from the beginning and makes you want to see where it goes. Quite challenging.

HOGs not difficult but take a little thought, same with the games. I completely enjoyed this game and will purchase to add to my EG collection.

Thanks for the reviews.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 12, 12 1:29 PM
I have now finished the game, and what a lovely game it was.

What I liked was that I didn't get one HOS after another. They were nicely spread out, which I prefer.

I also didn't see an overwhelming amount of puzzles, and I was able to do most of them without having to resort to the SKIP button.

The main game story has a proper ending.

I enjoyed playing the bonus game a lot, which took me about an hour to finish. Very well done.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 12, 12 2:19 PM
Elephant Gameshas produced another great game in the Grim Series. The last one concerning a werewolf was good as well. Cute little puppet to aid you in your quest. Well designed but I would say the graphics are slightly different from the last game they produced. Kudos to the devs for another great game. I just started due to the fact (A) I live in Ohio and I cannot even start on these games until in the afternoon. Wish sometimes I lived in England or Australia so I could get these in the a.m. as they do. ( I have other things to do in my life. Cannot support the gaming habit without some sort of income! Must do my own housework so that also takes up time. Yuk!

I like the puzzles this time. They have taken the standard puzzles and changed them up. I loved the honeycomb puzzle. Just finished it. A buy for me. Really love the CE's lately. The HOG adventure games are becoming works of art. This is one of them! I give this one 5 stars!!

margit50
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by margit50 on Jul 12, 12 4:13 PM
I played part of the demo this morning before going to work. Liked it so well that I went and bought the game, I had my hubby ti fix some supper, so I could start playing the game. I guess house work will have to wait for a few days. Great game.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jul 12, 12 6:44 PM
This latest grim tales, in the series from elephant, I enjoyed the most. Like most other games from elephant it’s long but as it’s a chapter less than grim tales: the legacy it’s shorter than the last one and I think a bit easier as here they gave you the tips in the transporter map in hardcore, which I played.

The transporter map becomes available a short while into the game. This has a dark story line, so for those of you who don’t like demon, child in peril storyline you may want to give this a miss.( edit - It wasn't that heavy with it in the SE but it was in the bonus re demon.) Although because of the daytime graphics (thank you!) it doesn’t feel like a dark game.

The plot takes place a few years after our last encounter with Brendan, here you find him growing older and you soon find out why. In your journey you will find a magic quill which you can then go into his memory and change the past (or you relive what you did in the first place, I wasn’t that clear with that side of the plot.) But I enjoyed the plot way better than the last grim tales.

Initially the graphics were gorgeous and sharp like usual for the DEV, but quickly I found out that quite a few HO scenes were frankly not great quality compared to other really well done HOS. Some were blurry while others lovely and sharp, it’s like an intern worked on some and experts worked on the others. But it wasn’t just the HO scenes a very few scenes (only a couple) in the game looked flat and unfinished and it was only noticeable because most of the scenes were really stunning.

Hint button is the usual mini SG but there are also automatic immediate hints with the map (which this time doesn’t go away on hardcore, last game (legacy) there were no hints (or I didn't know how to bring them up!). I got spoilers when using the map and as I hate backtracking like poison, I did use it as I love transporter maps. Although I appreciated the map tips sometimes, I wish there was an option to bring up the map tips and not automatically give it to us.

They also had the black bar tips and tips when you clicked on anything on hardcore – please don’t do this!

to be continued

Edited on 01/09/2013 at 10:27:11 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jul 12, 12 6:45 PM
continued -

Hidden object scenes –

21 HOS, quite a few were junk pile, all list type but interactive. They were well spaced out and I didn’t feel like I was playing one every 5 mins. There was the odd tiny item and some scenes had a lamp/light shining on parts which I know some don't like.

Puzzles –

At the beginning there weren’t that many and they were easy but overall there was a good mixture of hardness, mostly medium hardness. There seemed to be more puzzles in the middle to the end. They tried to bring us a couple of new ones for a HOPA but the execution on a couple were bad. Any fun I had in playing foosball was taken away by how to play it, and the planets one I know they were trying to put a spin on it as we’ve seen it before but putting those items on the puzzle was annoying.
Although I enjoyed most of them.

You click on the info button to bring up the objective of the puzzle was good and if you didn’t play hardcore you can skip them.

The interactive, adventure was side really good and I thought was well done although there were the usual completely illogical interactions for HOPAs - boats and ice picks!

This continues in the grim tales theme of having nothing to collect (morphs etc) or achievements in the CE which is why I can’t give this CE 5 stars, but I will give the SE 5 stars.

SE players with the hint button, the tips on the map I don’t think you would miss not having the SG.

Also the plot is 100% tied up in the SE version and the bonus plot is a ‘bonus’.

Length main game – 6-7hrs - nearer 7hrs on hardcore (obviously no skipping puzzle or hint button,)

Bonus another 1 hr (hardcore) no SG etc (roughly)

BONUS

It only is unlocked once you finish the game and it’s just the usual –
4 music tracks
8 concept art
8 wallpapers
There is no achievements, collecting things, unlocking of HOS or puzzles etc like some other elephant games.

Bonus play -
Mostly new areas and even the couple of old areas were changed. 4 HOS, 4 simple puzzles - 1 slider, 3 small mine sweeper. It took me an 1hr on hardcore, if you play with sparkles and SG etc it’s going to be shorter or if you are a super fast player (I'm not!) The bonus plot is very dark *demon in it throughout*

Edited on 01/09/2013 at 10:26:07 PM PST

Pixielate
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

[Post New]by Pixielate on Jul 12, 12 7:32 PM
Thanks everyone for all of your comments. I always check the forum before buying a game, especially if I'm thinking of getting a CE. I think this is a great game and I have only 5 min. left on the demo, so I'm glad to hear all the good news. Elephant games are always good games and they are just getting better.

I think the hint flower is just beautiful -- and actually useful. The map is cool too. Beautiful graphics (no bloody, dirty, nasty, ugly stuff, yay). Way to go BF!

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Jul 12, 12 8:26 PM
I'm going to wait for the SE, I think this might be the first Elephant Game that I haven't purchased within 10 hours of release. Which isn't to say it's not very well done but without the extras (collectibles, achievements, a diary, etc) I can't see spending the extra cash for just the bonus chapter.

Pros: Interesting story, a retread of "save the relative!" but still managed to keep me involved. I adore Fluffy and can't wait to see what else this astoundingly clever cat can do. Puzzles and mini-games were a bit more challenging than recent Elephant offerings which I greatly appreciate. Inventory items also, they went a little beyond Elephant's usual toolbox, weird shaped keys and puzzle parts. I even got stuck for a few minutes, which is terrific.

Cons: As a hardcore player, I was a bit bummed that the map told you what to do. I couldn't use it without getting a ton of hints. Speaking of which, the black bar hints were a bit too much hand-holding, I really wish they would do away with them. No diary, so no puzzles that will need to be figured out from discovered clues. Voice acting was all over the map and way too dramatic. Although I got stuck, backtracking took care of it. I was never tempted to use the strategy guide. (Is it just me or have Elephant games gotten easier. I replayed Raincliffe awhile back and used the SG about 10 times.)

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 13, 12 12:35 AM
I finished the main game, started the bonus one, and decided to wait until later to finish it. The graphics are good, the story is interesting, the hos were up to par, but I feel the devs sorta missed it with this one. I feel there was just too much of what I call busy work, just to make the game longer. Not much logic as to where you needed to go for what, and yes, you really need the map, and the hints because there just wasn't much rhyme or reason to it, imho. It feels like they just threw a bunch of stuff everywhere, hiding some in and under stuff, many needed a particular item to unlock, just to get that item, and they are just scattered all over..So without hints, and the map, who would have a clue as to where to go for what...I sure didn't. Kinda senseless to me. Think the last one that did me in was the lamp that needed a plug...it was obvious that it needed tape, and I am hunting all over for tape...gave up, hit the hint button, and it told me I needed light under the tub. Sure enough, right there by the tub was a power strip, plugged the lamp in, and voila, there is a pump handle that I had been searching for. I hated leaving that pot over the bird, and the baby polar bear in the cave, lol. Searched for and finally found the six crystals, only to have a mundane item after it opened up. I think I skipped more puzzles than usual also...just weren't fun to me.

Maybe I am burning out, but I still love playing these games, and usually get most everyone of them that comes out, yet I have played some that are so far above the crowd, and I am wanting more of those, and feeling like I just don't want to waste money or credits on those that seem filled with trivial tasks. I want more mystery, hunting for real clues...dang it, just give me a tool box, with a hammer, screwdriver, pliers, maybe an axe and a pair of scissors, to start with, and then let's hunt for the good stuff, with a logical progression. I won't name names, but there are a few devs out there that know what I mean, and are willing to actually put the effort into making games that not only look good, but play good.

Edited on 07/13/2012 at 12:40:32 AM PST

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 13, 12 12:39 AM
cherbtoo wrote:
angelfish106 wrote:Clipped from cbtx's review And the bonus materials are available immediately. (except, of course, the bonus game). It's obvious these devs listen to and respond to the feedback from their customers----which, unfortunately, can't be said about some of the others.

Clipped from Cherbtoo's review I would also like the Extra items to be available from purchase of the game (except for the bonus chapter which should remain locked). There are 8 good choices for the wallpaper but what use are they when one has finished that game and is now playing a completely different game altogether .

I'm confused

Lovely game which I'm definitely going to buy; personally the extra's don't hold much interest for me but I'm curious as to which of these two excellent reviews got it right!

Sorry for the confusion sweetie .

I am guessing Cbtx thought they were available because the devs actually showed us exactly what the 8 wallpapers were going to be whereas normally we don't even get to see that. However I actually clicked on the word Set to see what would happen and a pop up appeared stating that you have to complete the game first.

Thanks Cherbtoo for clearing that one up But how disappointing that again the bonus items are locked until after you finish the game. I wonder why devs do this; everything should be available once the game is purchased. It doesn't matter that much to me but I can understand why people get frustrated about this issue. I guess cbtx will be a bit miffed now!

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jul 13, 12 6:51 AM

Edited on 07/13/2012 at 7:55:40 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jul 13, 12 6:53 AM
REVIEW ON COMPLETED GAME
A good game, no doubt about it, but it should have been called The Medallions. Every 2nd thing I clicked on required a medallion, one after the other after the other, and it got a little old. Very nice graphics and a story that is quite good, if not new. I liked that I got to go into the pictures I found, to totally different locations. Sort of like little games within the game. Hint/skip fast enough. Hint very helpful indeed, outside of the HOS, which were interactive. Not junkpiles exactly, but a little cluttered nontheless. Nothing too serious. The music only plays at dramatic points throughout the game, otherwise it's birdsong, water sounds etc. Meant I didn't get tired of it. I liked the addition of the cat I got to take along with me, who helped by reaching things I couldn't, and the puppet was a nice touch.

I never had to refer to the SG after the second time, but I did note that while it stayed where I left it, it did not keep pace.

For those who have a problem with suspending belief - there is a constant necessity for it with this. Doesn't bother me particularly, though I did find myself shaking my head more than a few times. There are always illogicals in these games, but I found there to be a little more than usual in this one.

Many of the puzzles I found a little tedious. Because they did not intrigue me, I skipped a lot so that I could just get on with the game. They weren't that difficult, just made me inpatient with them. There is a jump map that is an absolute boon. Without that I would have gotten frustrated.

The BC is the full hour, but not many new locations in it. But it was enough fun that I won't complain about it.

You don't get any of the extras until after the game, as always, but you do get to look at them.

I only ever play in easy mode so I cannot comment on the other ones.

Elephant games are always done well enough to hold my interest and this one did, but it's not nearly as good as Lord of Statues.

Overall I rate it 8/10.

Edited on 07/13/2012 at 7:00:24 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 13, 12 7:19 AM
this is a good game,it is like in HD. we enjoyed the first 2 games and we will enjoy this one.---------doug & lisa

Joyfullady
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,498 Posts

[Post New]by Joyfullady on Jul 13, 12 7:42 AM
BASED ON FULL GAME AND BONUS - BUY SE! Bonus Game Horrid!

Game Play - 7.5 hours plus 1.5 bonus

Those of you like myself who are not into occult, gore, insanity - will very much enjoy the main game; but not the bonus game as I've outlined below.

Main Game
Elephant Games did a superb job in graphics, artistry, game play. Very inventive with the storyline, child's games and scenery. The map was brilliant! Showing pictures of the scenes and tasks left on the map made for fabulous game play for those of us with CRS! LOL! The puppet and cat helper made for fun game play. The voice overs and humor were excellent. So many places to go as the story unfolds and not a constant running to the same old places 50 million times. The boy's wish pictures coming to story life just made the game all the more pleasurable. Excellent final ending! Very uplifting.

HOGS Cheerful and interactive objects. One problem was many of the items were very tiny - so difficult for these eyes to see. If you have young people creating these then include an optional magnifier in the game.

Mini-Games - basically some of the same types we are use to seeing but with a fresh twist. Some I haven't done before - even in casual play I had difficulties with several. The soccer ball kept going to goal but I never received a score???? Finally had to skip. Instead of the artwork - I'd rather have the games to play over and over as the bonus in a CE!

BONUS GAME - after playing this wonderful main game - I was expecting more of the same. But no what we are disappointingly given is a storyline apparently by two junior high students fantasizing on how to put all the gloom, doom, occult, and gross they can into an 1.5 of play! I was having a wonderful day and finished the game in a joyful mood - immediately upon entering the bonus I was totally deflated! Because several PM'd me to review this is the only reason I played through using hints to just get me out of there. Hugely disappointing and where I would allow my 13 year old nieces and nephews play the main game with me I would not allow any children to play the bonus game!

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jul 13, 12 9:14 AM
What a tough crowd...

BUT you sure can tell you are the 'real hard core players in addition, I see what you are talking about.

I won't refer to all your comments as they are right on....maybe we need to help the dev's come up with a higher level to these games, huh? I personally would pay a tad more for what I like, how about you? Sorry, I got side tracked

I actually posted yesterday in regards to the game play...ELEPHANT excelled again for what they offered, game was better than the prior ones in my humble opinion. And those were good. The story line kept you interested. All in all, a good purchase.
Try this, you won't be disappointed

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jul 13, 12 9:27 AM
Exceptional Game! Just finished it..made it last 2 two days and it was awesome.

Obviously, the graphics are perfect. Not grainy, they are clear and consistant. There isn't this "which artist did this scene feeling to the game at all, even the bonus section which is where it feels that new artists and programmers look tends to be..not in this game, it is consistantly high quality throughout.

It is a very deep game, meaning unslefish per the developer in scene after scene after scene.
It is a thoughtful game..one that isn't overly obvious and "handhold" unless you request it..and you still have to think a little.

This developer just seems to get better and better, raising the bar for everyone else. I'm glad Elephant games isn't resting on their laurels,and cranking out game after game..but they seem to want to make things more creative each time. Great game! Congrads!
kris

agrimony
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by agrimony on Jul 13, 12 5:21 PM
I just finished the demo and liked it, but I also liked other demo parts of games and then got very disappointed on some of them because of the gore, occult and other evil in the game that just like Joyfullady would not care to purchase a game like that. So I want to thank you Joyfullady for your review, as well as all the others. I think I will wait for the SE version, for the very reason I do not care for the mentioned above.
Everyone has done such a wonderful job of their reviews and I too loved the graphics, and other qualities mentioned by the previous reviews. The game did grab me right off and immediately I loved it. So when the SE version comes out if the money is there I probably will buy it. But since the CE has no interest for me, then I will pass on this CE. Thanks again everyone and especially you Joyfullady for your review. I will be keeping my eye out for your reviews in the future. And I want to Thank you BFG for allowing reviews because it helps everyone to make the right decision on the games they want to buy. Keep up the good work reviewsers.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jul 14, 12 12:34 AM
First time in ages, that I have felt the need to review a game as oppose to a "comment".
I have played the whole game
Approximately 8 hours of play for the main game. I was absolutely engrossed and hated having to leave playing at any stage! LOL!
Not too many HOS, which is nice, as I personally am looking for more than just HOG's nowadays. The puzzles were different, on the whole and very interesting. The one thing that let it down for me, was to throw in a M3 puzzle. LOL!

The map was very useful and it took me a while to find it I was getting a little tired of so much backwards and forwards running around, so to find an interactive map was great!

The bonus game was far too short and again IMO was tacked on and not necessary to the story and ended in a silly way. The HOS looked to me, as if the dev's had got tired of making them up and they became junkpile scenes.
Excellent, excellent game as an SE but not as a DP (double priced) game.
Well done dev's

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 14, 12 4:20 AM
I finished the game and had a great time. Elephant games are the best. And I hope we see more games from them.

Thanks BF and devs.

Go to: