lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 14, 12 6:34 PM
Does anyone seriously BUY the strategy guide? Come on, with Hints and walkthroughs and even blogs, you had to be very rich or silly, or just wanted to own a bunch of strategy guides that will get "mouldy" on your hard disk.

Hee....heee... kidding. That aside, this game is really good, good graphics, scary story line that befits the theme, HOGS with lots of puzzles.

Rating: 4.5/5

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Sep 4, 12 7:15 AM
enjoyable (if short) game.

lookywho
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by lookywho on Oct 21, 12 3:22 PM
another nice game it was a easy one.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Apr 24, 13 11:27 AM
I just finished playing this game and enjoyed it very much. Graphics were clear and crisp, puzzles were fun and there were not too many H0s. The items in the H0s were not disguised and not too difficult and there was a nice story. The game-play was nicely paced.

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 24, 13 9:29 AM
Just Like A Movie

BASED ON COMPLETED GAME

I really surprised myself by thoroughly enjoying this game. From the demo, I expected lots of HOS with ‘cut & paste” GRAPHICS (which I generally dislike) and not much else. In fact, there is a lot MORE ADVENTURE than HOS & PUZZLES. And the STORY is INVOLVING.

The STORY runs along familiar lines. We must save our brother from an UNSPECIFIED EVIL FORCE. We find ourselves searching an ABANDONED HOTEL looking for answers.

There is a lot of ground to cover, and many locations: the hotel, the gardens and a swamp are just some. There is also lots of activity within each LOCATION, and we will return to all of them several times.

Unfortunately, we DON’T have a MAP or a JOURNAL, so we’re on our own about where to go next. Luckily, HINT is VERY HELPFUL outside HOS, giving the item you need and its location.

Some of the CUT SCENES are great. They are OLD MOVIE in style, and many are DEFINITELY CREEPY. But others that take on a more familiar style seem very poor quality. Still, the good ones are in the majority. Accompanying the CREEPY VISUALS are some REALLY SCARY AMBIENT SOUNDS and some UNIQUELY EERIE MUSIC.

Early on, there are a LOT of HO SCENES. These are LISTS with NO INTERACTION OR ANIMATION. Despite that, they are still enjoyable to play. The CUT & PASTE GRAPHICS are very clear and crisp, and realistic. Objects are easy to see. As the game progresses, the number of HOS dwindles, but near the finish, we will revisit the early ones.

PUZZLES & MINI-GAMES are RARE, but INTERESTING. I had to skip a few. A lot of time is spent finding necessary items for our inventory. Some inventory items can be COMBINED.

We are also COLLECTING the 30 or so INFO PAGES which not only give you BACKSTORY, but also REQUIRED INFO needed for potions etc. These are kept as an “INFO” menu rather than a journal.

This is, I think an EXCELLENT LOW BUDGET game. While there are no bells and whistles, the QUALITY of the GAMEPLAY makes them UNNECESSARY.

I recommend this game!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 3, 13 9:32 PM
florianna98 wrote:I've been playing for a couple of hours now. It's okay....Hidden objects are pretty easy to find, and the puzzles are doable; in fact a couple of them are really easy.

My issue is all the back and forth from this area to that area and back again. I really like the games with clickable maps. Or any map at all.

Yes, a map, especially a transporter map. I do not like the kind of hints that tell you exactly what to do, but in this game they're probably necessary, because there is so much to do. Toward the end, I stopped trying to remember where to go and what to do... i.e., plug in this, mix a and b and c, evaporate that... and used one hint after another just so I could get to the end of the game. But I'm tired and have a slight headache and just not in the mood to think.

I thought it had the right amount of spookiness, but the diary pages confused me. They weren't in order... in fact seemed to be in reverse order although I was never sure. By the end of the game I'd forgotten how and why Charles got into the mess he was in.

I didn't like that you have to sit through the ending credits before you can quit the game.

But all in all, a good game that I'd recommend to all spook-loving fishies.

Go to: