tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

Re:Comments for Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch Collector's Edition

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jul 19, 12 5:24 AM
After finishing about 45 minutes of the demo:

I am having somewhat of a problem with the game being a bit "studdery" or jerky and it is slowing game play, but I don't know if that is enough to keep me from buying it....will have to do some rethinking. I don't like replaying the same "light" puzzle at all - I don't like replaying ANY puzzles that are exactly the same over and over in the same game. I wish the inventory bar, hint button, and "journal" were at the bottom of the screen. I never liked them at the top. I didn't see a map...maybe later in the game?

According to someone who posted in another forum, the SG shows a lot of pages so the game is probably of good length. I am somewhat curious about "create your own...whatever-it-said" so if I can get used to the inventory, etc at the top of the page and the jerkiness of the game play, I will probably buy the game.

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

Re:Comments for Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Vallarina on Jul 19, 12 6:23 AM
I just finished the demo. I had 8 minutes left. This kept me engaged and I know this is a definite buy for me.
Great graphics, excellent hint information, story line that is interesting.
Thanks Big Fish. I'm happy swimming in the pond!
Vallarina

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 19, 12 6:56 AM
I have to agree about the repeat of puzzles, why all the same? I lost interest in it with 1 minute left in the demo. I wish BF would put a game out I want to play. For days now, no good games. This one isn't a bad game but it just didn't grab me. Sorry I didn't like it enough to buy it.

JoyWales
Clownfish
Clownfish
728 Posts

[Post New]by JoyWales on Jul 19, 12 6:58 AM
Having loved the first 2 games in this series, I was delighted to hear about this one, especially with the bonus punch attached. I do like it very much apart from having the inventory bar and journal at the top of the screen. This I really do dislike as my monitor is on a stand and is at its lowest possible level already. But I get a crick in my neck if I need to sit looking at an upwards angle rather than straight at the screen.
I have only played about 30 mins of the demo and have had enough for now.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 19, 12 7:21 AM
Yawn-a-rama
yawn-a-rama
yawn-a-rama!!

Huh? Did I say that out loud?

I am not a puzzle-solving person. Although I do play the odd game where I can actually manage the puzzles, or care to manage to solve the puzzles, I really couldn't have cared less about the first one in this game. And it's been repeated a little later on as well.

I also don't like a HOG where I just get one HOS after another without much else to do, but this game - so far as I played it - only has very few of them. And I really like the one where you have to put objects back into the scene.

So anyway, too many puzzles, too few HOS, and not a very exciting gameplay decided me against the CE.

kittyruss
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by kittyruss on Jul 19, 12 7:56 AM
This is a good game not the same o same o hog after hog.Its a buy for me.I think they are trying to put in a little something for every one,but cant make every one happy.So today is my day ya for me.Hope every one gets a game they like,so now am off to buy.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 19, 12 8:23 AM
Played about 15 minutes, and thoroughly enjoyed it. A little heavy on the puzzles, but new types of puzzles. My only concern is that when I exited from the demo, I received an access violation warning. Think I am going to take a chance anyway. I'll keep youposted if this problem shows up on the game.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Jul 19, 12 8:55 AM
I was hoping to like this game but I was not bowled over, sadly. Maybe its because I have played so many that they have to be reeeeealy spectacular in order to get my attention. I like the fact that it was not overrun with Hos, and I do like puzzles, but somehow the thing that would draw me in and say "buy me buy me you will have alot of fun playing this game" was not there for me.

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Jul 19, 12 10:31 AM
I jumped on this one, not because it is so wonderful or different, but because it's been a drought IMO. Only complaint I had and it is a nit picker one is that I spent 10 minutes lookingfor a 'safety pin' that was a 'straight pin' and that kinda stuff just irks me Happy Thursday everyone

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Jul 19, 12 11:47 AM
So glad to finally have this new installment of this series. Thanks so much Dev's for making it follow with as much quality and gripping storyline as the others. Before you are through with this series I am hoping you will end with one that does the game through the witch's story like the way they did the latest Puppet Show. Thanks to you also BF for offering it to us.

ingridjp
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by ingridjp on Jul 19, 12 2:07 PM
I just love these Echoes of the Past games...I have the first 3, and just bought this one. The dark medieval settings (royalty, castles, dark crypts, churches, etc..). are right up my alley...I got side-tracked and didn't play the whole 60 minutes of the demo, but from what I played, it was enough for me to buy it. I love puzzles, but am not so keen on repetitive HOS, so if what the others are saying, I should like this one. Unfortunately, I am already having a problem trying to pick up the pestle to use to crush the plant to make the bug poison...The cursor doesn't even change when it points to it, and there is no way to pick it up to use it.Hope I can iron this out.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 19, 12 2:12 PM
Hi there ingridjp,
I suspect you can't use the pestle until you have added all 3 plant ingredients. It does take some time in the game to find them all.
Keep searching.
Cheers

flowerchild44
Marlin
Marlin
8,348 Posts

[Post New]by flowerchild44 on Jul 19, 12 3:02 PM
Valdy wrote: Yawn-a-rama
yawn-a-rama
yawn-a-rama!!

Huh? Did I say that out loud?

I am not a puzzle-solving person. Although I do play the odd game where I can actually manage the puzzles, or care to manage to solve the puzzles, I really couldn't have cared less about the first one in this game. And it's been repeated a little later on as well.

I also don't like a HOG where I just get one HOS after another without much else to do, but this game - so far as I played it - only has very few of them. And I really like the one where you have to put objects back into the scene.

So anyway, too many puzzles, too few HOS, and not a very exciting gameplay decided me against the CE.

absolutely with you here on this one Valdy, i was so excited to see this offered, and swam right in with the demo...only to be sitting there thinking,mmm this is not grabbing me at all.I know this is nit picky, but I really do dislike the inventory at the top.I normally wouldn't hesitate to purchase a C.E. of echoes of the past, but this one I feel will wait for the S.E.
I may, as others have done go back to old games and replay,

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jul 19, 12 3:11 PM
I have only played this for 15 mins so only had one HOG (find all pieces for something) and 2 puzzles. I love hearing that it's a puzzle heavy game - finally! As so many HOPAs concentrate on the HO aspect, it's rare that someone concentrates on the puzzle aspect of it. The puzzles aren't hard but I appreciate they aren't really easy either. Just a nice hardness for a HOPA.

My favourite kind of HOs is the put them back in a scene, so that's good!

But I agree with the people who said about the graphics, it seems worse than the other games. And if I've to stare at a game for hours, graphics is HUGE with me and if it was any other game I wouldn't even bother with them but I've played them all and enjoyed them. So it's the graphics that is putting me off buying it as a CE but I love that they are finally doing something different with extras in a CE. Something I finally am interested in! I just hope it's not unlocking just a few of the puzzles.

As well as the graphics that is putting me off, the mention of repeating puzzles is as well. I hate repeating puzzles as much as I hate repeating hidden object scenes.

But due to the unusual extras, and that I love puzzles and the ability to replay them, and that I really enjoy this series will put up with the bad graphics and buy the CE. (don't know when I will get round to playing it though!)

Oh and I do wish that on the hardest play they wouldn't give black bar tips, it is annoying.

Edited on 07/19/2012 at 3:13:36 PM PST

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jul 19, 12 4:58 PM
i read the reviews, there are some harsh statements made about this one. i have the rest of this series and thought they were pretty good. not all ce's are created equal, but after finishing the trial i was left with that this game is on a par with those before it.
i didn't mind the b/g music at all, kind of soothing, but the v/o's had to go. Not only were they cheesy, but even worse, they were ssssllllloooowww. i enjoyed the puzzles, thought the graphics were ok, but dev's you need to kick it up a notch for ce's. have you seen some of the ones recently put out on this site??? amazing graphics, big wide screen and everything. (to complete the parody: we want it, we need it, we've seen it! signed, Hiway

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Jul 19, 12 11:34 PM
If you haven't tried this game yet, don't be discouraged by any negative reviews, give it a try. I am having a great time playing this one. It's light on HOS, quite a few puzzles and so far not a lot of traipsing around if you are a player who dislikes that aspect. There is one puzzle that repeats but it does get progressively harder as you go. The other puzzles are varied and fun. Give it a try, you might really like the game. I do.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 19, 12 11:34 PM
flowerchild44 wrote:absolutely with you here on this one Valdy, i was so excited to see this offered, and swam right in with the demo...only to be sitting there thinking,mmm this is not grabbing me at all.I know this is nit picky, but I really do dislike the inventory at the top.I normally wouldn't hesitate to purchase a C.E. of echoes of the past, but this one I feel will wait for the S.E.
I may, as others have done go back to old games and replay,

I actually like the fact that the Inventory is at the top. It's only because I am so used to it being at the bottom that I kept going down there for it. But if all games had the Inventory at the top, I would much prefer it, because quite often I exit to a previous scene when all I wanted to do was get into the Inventory list. So I do prefer it at the top. Just a matter of getting used to looking up instead of down.

Brendansoma1
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by Brendansoma1 on Jul 20, 12 12:15 AM
This game grabbed me from the start. Not too many HOS and plenty of puzzles. The diary doesn't sparkle all the time after it has gotten new information. Simply love it and hope there will be more like it. Kudos to the developers
After playing the bonus game I just want to add this: why is it that in the main game there are different kinds of HOS and not too many, and then it seems like every corner you turn there is a straight HOS in the bonus game? Very annoying, since I only buy the CE if it's not all about the HOS with a puzzle thrown in here and there

Edited on 07/20/2012 at 5:42:24 AM PST

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jul 20, 12 1:08 AM
For me, this was a very enjoyable game. I beta tested this one months ago and was really looking forward to it.

The only downside for me (and which I told them about) - I really wish these devs would stop putting the Inventory at the top. Why do that when we are all so used to automatically moving our mouse to the bottom of the screen?

And I have to agree with everyone who says that the same puzzle gets annoying. I ended up skipping most of these, because I just got too darn bored with them.

And in the bonus chapter, there's another puzzle that keeps repeating over and over again.

Apart from that, I had to play to the very end and loved it.

Sept24
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by Sept24 on Jul 20, 12 1:09 AM
A really weird thing happened when I downloaded the demo, it came up trial over. Has anyone ever had that happen? This was at about 12:30 am yesterday so I sure had not ever played it. I loved the first 3 Echoes so I just had to decide to trust I would like this one just as much so I bought it and I do. I would prefer if there were even less HOS, but at least some of them are the reverse kind where you put things back in the scene which I love. I wish they were all that type and I wouldn't mind them at all. As others mentioned the puzzle with the lines that has been repeated twice so far (not finished) is a boring puzzle the first time. It isn't perfect or the best game ever but I think it is a good one and am enjoying it very much.

Go to: