Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch Collector's Edition

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 19, 12 2:42 PM
I bought the game, early this morning and played some of it. It is the 'best' game of the week

One thing I really don't like, and have seen in a few other recent games is the repeating of puzzles. If you really aren't crazy about one type, and you keep seeing that same type over and over again, the skip button gets more use than it normally would. I really do think it is a bit lazy of the devs to do this. I much prefer a variety, and looking at the comments, I am not alone in this.

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Jul 19, 12 3:14 PM
crowtrobot wrote:
shorenuf wrote: The second spell has mad dogs surrounding the town's doctor. Apparently the dogs have been told to "do no harm", since it takes a rather long time to complete the tasks to quell the spell.

I had to laugh at that! I don't know how many games where something is just about to happen and you have to "hurry" to accomplish something in time, and it takes forever. I'm still on the demo and the poor doctor is still being threatened by those dogs. He's not even surrounded; he might as well just walk away. And why don't the dogs bother us when we go get the oil from the lamp post (poor doctor, here's someone to help him and getting oil is more important!)

DUH a game means suspension of disbelief ya know LOL Yeah I thought that was funny also. I do like that the insecticide is herbal kinda lets folks know that is available and not needing spray poisons, but then again this is a game.

psylocibin
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by psylocibin on Jul 19, 12 3:27 PM
I was going to buy the game as I liked it and the puzzles were good. But reading the reviews I am worried since I did not get too far into the game (had to turn off something on the stove and got trapped by the kitchen needing some work) so I lost some of my time on the game. Other reviews say that there is a lot of repeating of ppuzzles and I would like to hear more about this as I want new and different puzzles not repeats. Are these actually the same puzzle or are the puzzles similar but of different difficulty like there was a one with lights and then it came up again but it was more difficult to solve? That is not as bad I do not like when we go back to the same HOG and have to find the same stuff in the same picture. seems like cheating on the part of the DEVs to me.

So I hope more folks will write about finishing the CE game today since the extra token toward a free game is an incentive for sure.

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Jul 19, 12 5:58 PM
Okay. I'm actually going to try to submit a review and see if BFG actually lets it be.

I like the game, but perhaps not enough to purchase the CE. I play all HOGs (FROGS etal) in the hardest mode available now, so this is based on playing in the hardcore mode.

This game is in keeping with the other EOP games. The witch is still the protagonist which is brill! She's really creepy!

There are no sparkles in the most advanced mode. There is no hand holding at all, which includes NO INSTRUCTIONS for the mini-games. Which is really just stupid. You can't present a user with a game board and not give instructions on the game. Luckily the few I ran into I was able to figure out on my own.

The graphics are good, keeping with the series thus far.

The sound is decent, keeping with the story. And the voice-overs were pretty good for the demo, I've no clue what's coming up but the three I encountered were okay, except the doctor was a bit off, but not distractingly so.

The game play is sound, if a bit back and forth.

The HOG scenes are good and not terribly junkpile.

As I said I liked the game, but not enough to purchase the CE and certainly not enticed enough for the special TGT offer.

But a good game and will purchase when the SE is available.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 19, 12 7:06 PM
I frequently see that people have problems with the wide screen. Don't understand this, since I have a 20 inch monitor and I have never had a game that didn't fill the screen. Maybe anything larger has the problem.

Anyway, I have the other 3 games and loved them. I'm not sure about this one. A lot of shoe leather is used for one thing here and one thing there. Didn't care for the placement of the hint button being under the SG. Wish the developers would either all go top or bottom for the inventory. SG isn't bad, but I have never cared for this type of set up, it just seems a bit messy.

The graphics are very nice, music not too bad, HOGs not difficult and neither are the games. I like the addition of the "digging" through things to find items...something different. Not much interaction (so far) with people, so tends to slow down a bit.

This game did not keep my attention like the other three, but I did like it and will end of purchasing. Thanks for the reviews.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jul 19, 12 11:25 PM
psylocibin wrote:I was going to buy the game as I liked it and the puzzles were good. But reading the reviews I am worried since I did not get too far into the game (had to turn off something on the stove and got trapped by the kitchen needing some work) so I lost some of my time on the game. Other reviews say that there is a lot of repeating of ppuzzles and I would like to hear more about this as I want new and different puzzles not repeats. Are these actually the same puzzle or are the puzzles similar but of different difficulty like there was a one with lights and then it came up again but it was more difficult to solve? That is not as bad I do not like when we go back to the same HOG and have to find the same stuff in the same picture. seems like cheating on the part of the DEVs to me.

So I hope more folks will write about finishing the CE game today since the extra token toward a free game is an incentive for sure.
There is one puzzle that is the same. It's the one with the boxen. The other puzzles are all different. That is not bad.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jul 20, 12 12:48 AM
This game should really be called a Puzzle Hidden Object Game (or PHOG), because I counted an amazing 40 puzzles in the main game and 12 in the bonus - puzzle gamers should love this one (I'm not complaining!).

There are around 22 H0S scenes in the main game and around 9 in the bonus. They are a mixture of traditional list H0S, "Find All of One Item" and "Return Item To Its Proper Place", which makes for good variety and ensures you don't get bored.

The Hint button refreshes very quickly and there are no click penalties. There is some running around towards the end, but the scenes load immediately with no time lag. Graphics are crisp and clear, items easy to find. The main game took me just over 5 hours, the bonus around 1 hour.

All in all, a very enjoyable game that I couldn't put down until I was done.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Jul 20, 12 7:02 AM
I really like the variety in this game. There seems to be more puzzles than HOGS and I cannot remember the last time I saw that. ReallyI do not like the jewel game that repeats itself where you have to have 2 lines or one. So far I did like the other ones just fine and had no trouble figuring them out.
The hint button recharges quickly.
As usual you can turn off the custom cursor, which I normally do and as usual you can skip the tutorial. I have never had an issue with screen size so I can't tell you on that. It always fills my screen as is, I never have to adjust.
The HOGS are easy to see and find.
I will be buying this game as an SE.
I do not like that when you click on something you have to interact with to make a new hint, that if you don't wait a minute and click it again, you will leave it behind. It doesn't go automatically into your inventory. Other than that, I really like this game.

Edited on 07/20/2012 at 7:04:23 AM PST

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Jul 20, 12 7:58 AM
Tried it, bought it, and it is a LONG game. The only thing I didn't like was in the bonus game...puzzles were all the same and there were alot of them (for a reason, which I won't tell and spoil it for others). The storyline was good, not too much running around and pretty easy to figure out what to do next (and if you couldn't, the hint showed you the scene where you needed to go). All in all, a very good game. Mine showed up in wide screen (Windows 7 on a PC) and had absolutely no glitches, from trial to game. Graphics were good, HOS good, music not too bad, hint refills quickly and the skip takes about a minute or so. This was worth the money and my guess is there will be a sequel. (That witch is a scary broad so they will use her again.)

Kilan8
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Kilan8 on Jul 20, 12 9:54 AM
Loved the game and the graphics. The hidden object scenes were fun. I was annoyed by the repetitive mini games though. That just became annoying. Weird ending but I guess more is to come.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jul 20, 12 10:57 AM
Finished it, loved it,,hated having it end. Yeah, agreed, the widescreen doesn't work but the full screen does. The other blip I agree with is the music..after all this time and money put into this really fine game, better and more variety of music is important..it sets the whole mood of each scene. Musicians can be as valuable as other professionals...especially in entertainment and setting a mood. The only other sort-of negative is the repition of mini-games. All the developer did was make them harder. If you like that kind of game- great. Otherwise a wider variety would have made the game a little less sluggish.
Ok..that sounded like sour grapes..but really the game is excellant. Def. worth the CE price. It is long ( took me 2 days ..nice bonus play, I thought the plot was interesting albeit familiar. The graphics were really gorgous. Loved scene after scene after scene. The developer was unselfish in the amount of sites you wandered to.
Great game! Sorry I finished it.
kris

jessmom01
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by jessmom01 on Jul 20, 12 1:08 PM
Based on the Demo: The 4th game in this popular series seems to maintain all those things that keep us coming back for more. The storyline remains enticing, 'cause after all, we like to save the good guys from the supremely Evil Witch... tho' i think after this 4th attempt i'll be about tapped out - it'll be her or me this time, then i give up unless the dev ups the ante with this game recipe . Graphics/ artwork/ cutscenes are all of very nice quality, & voice acting is good. HOscenes are not difficult to do or to see. Puzzles/minis i've done so far are easy. As soon as you begin the adventure you start collecting & using items rapidly, which for me is great motivation to play like crazy. The music sounds the same as the other installments of Echoes, so it's either like visiting an old friend or easily tuned out; either way it doesn't add much in the way of atmosphere. 3 modes of play allow you to up the challenge, tho' the game isn't difficult at any level - but i will say that what it may lack in challenge, it makes up for in engaging entertainment. Your talking mirror will give hints, & i haven't checked out the SG so can't comment. I've really enjoyed this series so far, & couldn't help but get swept into this newest installment straightaway. This dev knows how to draw you in as soon as you hit "Play". Needless to say, i'll get this to add to the collection, 'cause i had fun with the demo. I'm not convinced that the CE bonus play is necessary to the story, so will likely wait a bit to buy & see what others have to say about that. Leaning toward the SE tho. Enjoy your gaming, folks!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Jul 20, 12 3:43 PM
Dear Devs,

Great game. Too bad you decided you didn't want to sell it to me. Do not NOT NOT NOT lock stuff until after the bonus game is finished. It's a *BONUS* game and it should be MY CHOICE whether to play it or not. I'm not going to pay for a CE edition when you have decided even before I start that you won't allow me access to WHAT I PAID FOR until I meet YOUR qualifications. It's not a job interview, it's a GAME. And since ***I*** am the consumer spending MY hard earned money to PLAY then I should be able to enjoy it as I see fit.

Got it? Good. Please try to remember next time.

Love,
Gamergirl

Otherwise... it's a great game! Good story, good graphics and lots of fun. It would be an instant buy if not for the above. It's really more of a HOPA which is my fave genre after adventure. Not much I'd change about it. The extra of designing your own game sounds amazing! I'd love to try it but since they require you to finish the bonus game first that will never happen for me. *Sigh.* Hopefully they'll catch on... I mean devs do this to make money right? So why throw money away over something so simple to fix?

5 stars if they fix the locks. As is 3 stars as a CE, 5 stars only as an SE.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 20, 12 5:28 PM
we bought the first 3 games and this one will be loved by ALL hos game lovers.-------doug & lisa

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 20, 12 6:37 PM
Based on completing the game and the bonus game.

This game needs a MAP. There are multiple locations and multiple rooms or doorways in each location and lots of to and fro between the locations, so bring an extra pair of sneakers. One of the visual effects in the game should have been the appearance of well worn paths on several of the hallways, courtyards and roads.

This game also puts your memory to the test by showing you a need for an item and then not giving you the item until much later in the game. I thought this was a bit too extreme and cut down on the fun factor in the game. These were not unique or key items in the game but everyday things we use in all HOG adventure games, like a screwdriver, shovel, wrench, or crowbar. After an hour or two of knowing that I need a screwdriver, when it finally does show up, how in the heck can I remember where that little long lost screw is that needs turning. If you don’t take notes it can be frustrating, as this happens quite a bit in this game.

The HOG scenes are good and have several interactive items in each list. There are sort of junk pile, but not too bad. Sometimes the items are not in the correct proportion to other items. I remember looking for 3 marbles in one scene and they turned out to be as big as bowling balls. Also some of the items don’t register when you click on them unless you click on the “right spot”. HOGs are hard enough without the click recognition being incorrect.

The puzzles and mini-games are good overall. I love puzzles so I am biased. The more the better for me and there are lots of them in this game. There is a skip available for puzzles in regular and advanced modes but not in expert mode.

The artwork and atmosphere is very good. It’s mostly dark and gloomy but well done.

Continued ..

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 20, 12 6:39 PM
If you are being lured into buying the CE just to see the Game Designer, don’t bother. The Game Designer feature was a big let down. It is where you can create one type of puzzle that is found early on in the game. In the game the puzzle is found on the Door to the Town Hall.

The Game Designer feature gives you four puzzle layouts of the same game with various arrangements of the empty spaces and various images on the pieces. You create the puzzle then you can play it. It’s kind of fun but it’s no big deal. There are other games that have way better game editors where you can create your own puzzles.

The length of the game is very good. I did not time myself but I played it over a period of two days. The bonus game took one and one half hours.(I did time that part.)

I did not like that you had to wait until you finished both the regular game play and the bonus game play before the mini-games and game designer bonus items were unlocked. I think when you buy a game you as a player should get to decide when you have access to the bonus features.

Edited on 07/20/2012 at 9:26:43 PM PST

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jul 21, 12 10:30 AM
The bonus feature Mini-Games is another disappointment. It is only one version of 8 of the mini-games. For example, there is a mini-game where the white wizard token has to jump over and eliminate all of the black evil tokens. You are only given one configuration of the game, so once you solve it there is no point in playing it again.

In other games that have allowed players access to mini-games they give you all of the configurations of the mini-game that were available in the game (for example the classic Azada). In other games you might get 5 or 10 different configurations to play of each mini-game, but not in this game.

I feel like this developer has short changed the players and included just enough to make people think they are actually getting what we normally get when mini-games are a part of the bonus content. I am disappointed in the bonus content of this game and I don’t recommend the Collector’s Edition. The main game is very good and very long but the bonus content is lacking.

Edited on 07/21/2012 at 10:31:59 AM PST

huffpatsy
Herring
Herring
301 Posts

[Post New]by huffpatsy on Jul 21, 12 11:25 AM
Great Game!! I love the Echoes of the Past series. This truly is one of the best. I give it 5 stars!!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jul 21, 12 5:24 PM
If you are not a puzzle lover I don’t recommend this game to you at all. I am and even I found some areas between puzzles boring.

I really enjoyed all the other games in this series but thought the last game would be the last in the series as it was really pushing the plot of the same witch which you defeat in every game and keeps coming back. This is the weakest of the series by far. Instead of calling this game something else, as it doesn’t have the same feel, look to it as the other games, they have ended up watering down the series instead of finishing strong.

This game is the perfect example of formulaic plot, sometimes you can get away with it if everything else is strong or excellent or at least different. Frankly the story, plot etc was really bad IMO. The only thing very good about the game was the puzzles, the graphics were washed out and seemed worse than the other games, adventure side boring at times. Both puzzles and hidden object scenes were repeated.

I bought the CE as it promised unlocking of puzzles and “game designer – create your own game levels and play them” Both of which are locked until you complete the whole game including bonus.

The game designer is 4 different layouts of one puzzle (move tiles from bottom to corresponding picture in upper tier, they are joined together with tiles beside them and you have to move them around to unjoin them.) but all you can do is choose what picture goes where! While this is far better than concept art I was disappointed as I felt it was misleading.

There is only unlocking of 8 puzzles -
-Peg solitarie (white knight jumping over black pieces)
-Move numbered round tiles around (9 of them)
-Red and blue ball in bowl to go into separate coloured bottles
-Solitaire but it’s only one set which if you replay is just repeated
-Simple flower rotating rings (one in greenhouse)
-Harder aquarium
2 bonus puzzles– medusa head simple lock puzzle
-Move one tile, move the others simultaneously

As the main positive thing about this game is the puzzles, they could have easily unlocked all of them.

to be continued

Edited on 07/24/2012 at 7:58:24 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jul 21, 12 5:25 PM
continued

PUZZLES (spoilers as to kind, numbers in this review are roughly!)

There is a variety of type – arcade, logic but nothing timed. I found them all to be easy-medium apart from the arcade/non logic type. I loved the amount, variety of them as I’m a puzzle lover! (for a HOPA though, I think some are hard - hence the 4 out of 5 hardness but the adventure side is easy)

The first puzzle you encounter the light up the lines one, if you don’t like it then you will be frustrated as that puzzle is repeated 10 times, (different patterns) I didn’t mind them as I could do them very quickly.

22 different puzzles in main game.

Repeating puzzles and number of times you play them in total
– light the lines puzzle 10
– aquarium puzzle 2,
-domino 2,
- peg solitaire 3,
- click on pattern tiles to rotate them 2 plus another variation of it
- bonus puzzle - fit items into area, 6 (they all are marbles of different shapes)

HIDDEN OBJECT SCENES
(numbers are roughly, I did try and count!)

What was good was that there were three different kinds of HOS –

4 different traditional scenes – all of them you had to play 3 times.
2 different reverse scenes (put item back)– both of them you had to play 3 times
5 find the same items – one was repeated

Mostly static scenes (not much movement), some tiny and hard to see objects, defined enough but not sharp. Mildly interactive.

There were 3 levels of hardness and you couldn’t switch mid game. The hardest had no sparkles, no info on puzzles, no skips or no hints including HOS. But they did have black bar tips and with reversed hidden object scene told you the objective.

I didn’t feel the puzzles, HOS and adventure were well spaced out. It was a good length SE and probably super long if you are slower with puzzles.

ending - But the SE wasn’t 100% tied up and told you what you would be doing in bonus. But there really wasn’t any plot in bonus.

to be continued

Go to: