Reviews for Wonder World

60schild
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

Re:Reviews for Wonder World

[Post New]by 60schild on Jul 24, 12 12:25 PM
Seems there is a shortage of really good games of this genre anymore on BF. The only decent games are now CE's (or the SE version a month or so later). What happened to just some great SEs (without the CE prices or waiting a month or more for the SE version)?

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Jul 24, 12 5:48 PM
I guess I am in the minority because I kind of liked the game. It's colorful, a Frog game, which I like, the music is good....I enjoyed it. I will buy this, short or not. It just really interests me.

Good show, devs!

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jul 25, 12 12:00 AM
I got about 3 hours out of it. I bought it with a PCC, and don't regret it. It was different, and I enjoyed that.

My main complaint was that it had so much space for the inventory and the "list" that the game area was too small. I've got eyestrain big time. It would have been better to have a popup inventory like most games do.

The popup boxes in the scenes are different, but they serve the purpose of the icons of a hand, eye, magnifier, etc. It took me a while to figure that out. Those are the things you can interact with. I did use a lot of hints, but they refilled pretty fast. The stuff was sometimes really hard to find.

The game is really pretty linear, though you can do some exploring, some things cannot be done until you do others. Most of the minigames were okay, but I skipped the "Simon Sez" one. I usually don't have a problem with them, but this one was a little hard to see and follow. I was stumped for a while by the clock puzzle, but finally it dawned on me! Not much in the way of help for the puzzles, but there is a skip.

Even though you had to find stuff, it was more adventure to me - figuring out what to do with stuff, and some of it wasn't immediately obvious.

I will say that the final location, The Secret Room, was really amazing. It was different, and very much fun to do. Very different from anything I've played.

The music was nice, the scenes colorful and mostly not too dark. It was a really good game for a first effort from a new dev, and I say kudos to them for something different. I'm looking forward to their next one, which will probably be more polished.

From some of the comments here, I think people SAY they want something different, but really don't. Lot of folks griping because this game didn't follow the formula, but that's what made me buy it! It really is NOT a bad game - and though short, it was not all that easy, either. It was kind of "gently challenging" which is good.

susieq12
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by susieq12 on Jul 25, 12 8:40 AM
Brought game without first playing demo. Too short, each scene change takes too long...loading..too much chatter upon mousing over anything. Did like the colorful scenes reminds me of fairy tales from my youth. Too short for a full price game of $6.99.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jul 25, 12 12:52 PM

I enjoyed the demo very much as mentioned earlier because it IS 'different' and also agree with phatkhat's review above so, I decided to buy and will report back with a more complete review to this as eta following complete playthrough. I hope more fishies will be open minded and give these unique games a real chance without necessarily 'comparing' them with the run of the mill every day games usually offered.

ETA:

Ok, finished! I truly enjoyed this game and though it WAS short, it was worth every penny to me.... in fact, it's one game I DID finish because quite often, and I'm talking about 5 star, highly rated games, I end up bored or disgusted by the 'sameness' that I stop short of the end and go on to something else.

So, yeah, the graphics were small and it was rather short in length yet it was so filled with unique gameplay, mysterious settings, both good and eerie and contained subtle humor throughout that I truly enjoyed every minute I played it.

I realize the majority does not like this game based on demo or full game, yet if you like 'different', quirky, interesting.... give it a whirl.

Thumbs up to the devs... hope there are more from them.

Edited on 07/25/2012 at 4:04:00 PM PST

StefsCat
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by StefsCat on Jul 26, 12 4:34 PM
I've been waiting for another FROG and this one is good for me. I had no problems with the graphics or the music. Yes, some of the items are difficult to find, but the hint button fills up pretty quickly. This is definitely a game for me.

leyahn
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by leyahn on Jul 29, 12 4:16 AM
Opened on my wide screen with no problems.
Options - only effects and environment volume control - environment controls music.
You can pick between custom or system cursor. I left it on the custom cursor.
No difficulty levels

Story line - naive wife takes medallion from weird lady in a tent, medallion steals hubby's soul and wife is propelled into mystical realm to save him She meets other trapped souls along her journey.

No voice overs - story and dialogue explained through text.

It is a FROG with several items to find per level. Items interact in the scenes to complete tasks. Objects are small. Graphics - I did not find them very clear. Colorful, and I think promising artwork - but it was like all the edges were blurry. Nope, not my eyes. LOL

Hint button will locate an item for you and tell you if there is nothing left to do in an area. Sometimes there are still things to find, but you have to obtain something from another scene and go back to the use the found item.

Mini-puzzles - eh, fairly standard - slide the picture pieces into place; repeat the flashing lights. Honestly, I skipped them. Skip button fills quickly.

Overall, this game did nothing for me. Easy, rather linear play but just did not grab me.

kcasey57
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by kcasey57 on Aug 7, 12 11:31 PM
my review for the completed game...i was disappointed..the game was way too short...i had to buy it to finish the story...unfortunately my total play time was 70 min....it has decent graphics but a few of the things were hard to find...i used a total of 3 hints...it really wasn't worth the money...if i hadn't got hung up on the first light puzzle i probly would have completed the game before my 60 min...

[Post New]by octoberapple on Aug 10, 12 6:05 AM
The demo ensured me: it could be better. I am not saying it’s absolutely a waste of time, at some point it was more or less satisfactory, but the first impression was spoilt and this time it is no buy.

ladygem6
Herring
Herring
391 Posts

[Post New]by ladygem6 on Aug 14, 12 10:57 AM
I have to revise my first post. I did not buy the game, not because I didn't like it because I did....I just got involved in other things and forgot. So, when I was looking through the list of games with several punch card credits ready to use, I came upon Wonder World. So I played it again and now I am not so sure about it at all.

The game seems to lag and the cursor sticks a lot, the music is sporatic but the worst part was when the entire game stuck and I couldn't close the game. I had to turn off my PC in order to get rid of it.

Hummmm don't remember that happening before. So, I will finish the trial, which I haven't done, and if this problem continues, it's a no brainer, and a no buy for me. Though the colors are good, and I like Frog's, with a problem this large I'am wasting my money.

Seems like this has been the norm lately. Inferior games and problems with games. Thank goodness I have a game manager full of unplayed ones.

Have a good one!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 14, 12 6:58 PM
I actually LOVE this game. I am not sure why it only garner 2 stars. Guess its not everyones cup of tea. But its a buy for me

Ratings: 4/5

Go to: