hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

Re:Reviews for Live Novels: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice

[Post New]by hannah57 on Jul 25, 12 7:43 AM
Well that was different. I didn't like the side to side scrolling and the book when loading a new scene. I found it a slow frustrating game. I did play the entire demo so I could give an honest comment. My comment for this game is YUK!!!!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 25, 12 7:45 AM
As my FROG withdrawal symptoms were getting unbearable and I found the pieces easier to find in this game (ie I only used roughly one hint per scene) than their Wonder World one I bought this game with a PCC.

On the con side the dialogue bar keep popping up is as annoying as it is in their other game plus you can't see what pieces you are looking for without popping the inventory bar up and down too, in fact the latter doesn't stop up long before it pops down again and consequently it pays to look at just one of the part sections at a time.

There is a click penalty but this one is a frozen snowflake storm ... I must admit that is prettier to look at than watching your cursor loop de loop so thank you for that devs .

My speakers were turned off near the beginning of the demo and only the title screen and the BFG logo were stretched to fit my monitor, the game wasn't.

Moving the screen from side to side is fine with me but I know there are quite a few other people that it will cause problems to.

On the positive side the game has been well drawn and the heroine is really beautiful to look at .

I like that sometimes you pick up a whole object which leads to a hidden object scene but the game isn't saturated with them. Sometimes the last piece of an object can be hidden in another object in another room which helped make the game a bit more interesting as did the scene where the items you had to find were hidden underneath other items and you had to move them out of the way but they didn't stay moved.

Anyway this particular game will stop me being completely FROGless, thank you .

Cherb

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 25, 12 8:12 AM
Played 30 minutes of the game and after reading the other really bad reviews, I started to wonder if it had been worth downloading.

In fact I'm sure quite a lot of fishies will enjoy it.

Only one game play mode.

Hint refills quickly.

You have to find a lot of objects, either in H0 or all over rooms (silhouettes).

You can move to either side of the room to see more. Items are sometimes difficult to spot, looking like the background.

Graphics are pretty good.

Annoying thing, texts keep appearing if you make a wrong click.

An enjoyable game for straight H0G lovers, well worth a punch card credit. If you were expecting something better, re read Jane Austin's book.....

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Jul 25, 12 8:33 AM
Trigthewig wrote:
Another point for the devs at the risk of being pedantic - Pride and Prejudice is a Georgian, not Victorian novel - it was written more than 20 years before Victoria came to the throne! Anyway, I'm off to uninstall now...

Trigthewig, actually P&P isn't a Victorian or Georgian novel. It is a Regency novel.

I am a huge fan of anything Austen so I think that is why I pushed through this one. I think if someone is relatively new to HOGs and loves Pride & Prejudice, they might enjoy this. The graphics are drawn and really not that bad. I was amazed at how much the mother in this game looked like the mother in the A&E version of P&P. The music was fine as well. The hint button refilled very quickly, too.

I did find the gameplay a bit annoying. I couldn't quite put my finger on it, but it just didn't seem to flow. Some of the hidden objects are very difficult to see as they are blended in with the artwork. Also, for those that are bothered by games that are not historically correct, be forewarned that the household items are not accurate for the time period and the characters also are not drawn accurately. Mr. Bingley looks like he is wearing a hairstyle from the 1980's and Elizabeth Bennet is wearing a headpiece that looks like it is from the Renasissance.

I also had a problem with the rolling screens. They don't move that fast, but when using a hint, etc., they move fast enough to cause a problem for those that do get nauseous from screen movement. Overall, I think I would pass on this game even as a DD, but everyone should try it for themselves.

Edited on 07/25/2012 at 12:30:34 PM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 25, 12 10:23 AM
It has been my finding that the movie is not as good as the book, and by corollary, the game is not as good as the book either. As a matter of fact, in my opinion it is just plain bad. Of course your mileage may vary. Try the demo and decide for yourself.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Jul 25, 12 10:50 AM
I haven't seen a game this boring and old school in quite a long time. If you see something you think you are going to need and click on it, it tells you that you don't need that yet. Why not get it now and use it later?

Graphics a bit grainy, HOGs okay, music get annoying fast, game play okay but don't much care for the scrolling. Probably okay for a beginner, but not for me.

Thanks for the reviews.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Jul 25, 12 11:26 AM
i love Jane Austen, especially Pride and Prejudice...and was truly hoping for a great presentation. much to my dismay, this wasn't it. to the first reviews i can only add that the idea of it is wonderful, but the execution was not. it would be great if dev;s who really get it would do this game...grainy blue graphics, tiny frogs, inappropriate b/g music, slow scene changes and that infernal open book while loading plus the story being told on pages in lieu of action equals total miss for this fan. hoping somebody picks up the guantlet and rises to meet the challenge. this is too good a book to treat so cavalierly...

BelindaR53
Clownfish
Clownfish
800 Posts

[Post New]by BelindaR53 on Jul 25, 12 11:27 AM
wow....I'm not even going to download this one. I just hate it when BF comes out with a horrible game.
What I'd like to know is who made it? You can cleverly post it here .

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jul 25, 12 11:44 AM
A FROG! Yay!!!

Mmmm. That's it. Can't think of anything nice to say.

We don't get many FROGs so had high hopes for this one but it just doesn't play right. First time I've seen a FROG where they don't keep the item bar on show. And when it's obvious there are other "bits" in the screen and it tells you you can't pick them up is a bit frustrating.

Hate scrolling screens!

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jul 25, 12 1:43 PM
I haven't even downloaded this game and already I'm against it. The advert says explore Victorian England, "Pride and Prejudice" takes place in Regency England. I hate to be petty, but it seems that if they don't even know that, they probably have never read the book. I'm thoroughly disgusted with those who present Jane Austen stories as if they had read them when obviously they haven't. Case in point is the appalling version of "Pride and Prejudice" starring Keira Knightly.

[Post New]by Trigthewig on Jul 25, 12 1:46 PM
rosie28sammy wrote:
Trigthewig wrote:
Another point for the devs at the risk of being pedantic - Pride and Prejudice is a Georgian, not Victorian novel - it was written more than 20 years before Victoria came to the throne! Anyway, I'm off to uninstall now...

Trigthewig, actually P&P isn't a Victorian or Georgian novel. It is a Regency novel.

Oops, I stand corrected! The Regency period came between the Georgian period and the Victorian period if I remember correctly now?

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 25, 12 2:58 PM
Can anyone tell me, with all the great literary works created throughout time, not to speak of all the various interesting subject matter available as well, why game developers and television and movie directors have an obsession about "Pride and Prejudice" and the "Titanic?" Just wondering because personally, I am tired of both. As a teacher, I have been home this summer looking forward to playing great games. I know I have seen at least four games on the same subject matter. However, I will say that this game is better than the one which came out about two weeks ago. If devs need some ideas I would be glad to send some which would make great games. What is so interesting about a family trying to marry off their daughters to the richest men available? Kinda mercenary isn't it? I agree with others - this theme is very "schmaltzy" to say the least. This is a FROG, which personally I don't like, but I know there are others who do. No problem there. However, the game is jerky on my computer. I believe these are new devs and at least they have improved from the last game they developed. Not my "cup of tea" so to speak. Please, BF, could you please bring out more games like the two CE's this week.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Jul 25, 12 4:11 PM
Re eviews for Live Novels: Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice
by sunnyglow on July 25, 2:58 PM

Can anyone tell me, with all the great literary works created throughout time, not to speak of all the various interesting subject matter available as well, why game developers and television and movie directors have an obsession about "Pride and Prejudice" and the "Titanic?"

Perhaps they lack "SENSE AND SENSIBILITY"?

I didn't care for it much either.... seriously, maybe they should try Jane Austen's "Sense and Sensibility" for a change of pace or one of her other books... AND possibly revamp the sliding screen mechanics.....

Edited on 07/25/2012 at 4:15:15 PM PST

[Post New]by SSeery on Jul 26, 12 12:37 AM
Trigthewig wrote:
rosie28sammy wrote:
Trigthewig wrote:

Oops, I stand corrected! The Regency period came between the Georgian period and the Victorian period if I remember correctly now?

No need to be corrected, you were right! It's was the Georgian Regency (when the future George IV took over from George III when he went a bit... odd...), "Regency" is just a more specific part of the Georgian era.

Sorry for the pendantry, I've nothing to add about the actual game other than the word "Don't", which also goes for the Keira Knightly/Bronte-style film, as mtvoyager said. The book is genuinely clever and funny, can't say the same of most adaptations, yet they keep coming.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 26, 12 6:40 AM
as for a HOS game we did not find this game appealing.-----doug & lisa

[Post New]by hydrogibbon on Jul 26, 12 11:27 AM
I liked the look of the game and probably would have enjoyed it without the scrolling and the dialogue popping in all the time. It became very annoying very quickly. After 13 minutes of this doesn't look like part of the dress or you don't need this yet I called it quits. In my mind it would take a lot of mental stamina to deal with all the popups and actually play and enjoy this game.

mamajay
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,222 Posts

[Post New]by mamajay on Jul 26, 12 11:11 PM
I'm afraid I didn't even get past the video of this game (same for the last P & P offering) Once I saw the characters popping in and out, I said to myself, 'no thanks - I don't need another headache!' (or something like that, lol). And where did that little boy come from? More confusion, lol. Also far too much reading (and I am a bookaholic!)

As for the book - it is one of my all time favourites. I liked some bits of the Keira Knightley movie (sorry - people): Donald Sutherland, Dame Judi Dench, Brenda Blethyn (hope I got that right), but I absolutely love the BBC version with Jennifer Ehles and Colin Firth (oh those dark eyes, lol). It is much much closer to the original story.

Jen

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Jul 27, 12 10:18 AM
Another lovely game in this series. The first one, I really enjoyed as well, and the graphics in this one seem even better then the first... though both very lovely. This one has more of a 3D effect, and I like that. Music is pleasant. To each his or her own, but I think this is a very nice game. I did not even try the demo, except for less than 2 minutes, in order to make sure all installed properly. I just purchased it.

cognac28
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by cognac28 on Jul 28, 12 9:48 PM
saphhire wrote:sorry big fish, this game is horrid, you can move the screen side to side,to search for items. Shame you have a blue halo all around the boarders. This halo makes items very hard to see, NO BUY here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,but fishies judge for yourself,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,lasted 10 min..............I know some will say didn't give it enough time, but I think 10 min was to much..............

Kamille_59
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Kamille_59 on Aug 9, 12 8:14 AM
First seeing the title, I thought to myself: “Or, dear. Why do they keep making games based on the same plots over and over again?”
Not going into details, I will just point on the major pluses and minuses.
Pluses: quite nice graphics
Minuses: irritating scrolling scenes and bad music.

Sorry, Big Fish. It’s not my type.

Go to: