KATE60
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Facade: Sinister Obsession

[Post New]by KATE60 on Aug 9, 12 2:26 AM
I am stunned. Love ERS games normally bought and played this one, and wham what an anti climax. I know everything has been said about the ending in this game, but i had to put my tuppence worth in. Got off to a great start , lured me in , great puzzles great graphics not too many HOS scenes. Started off hunting for fans for hints, suddenly none to find, then wham ended. No explanation , no follow up, nothing. I thought i had done something wrong as the others and went back to see, and it told me game finished. Sooooo dissapointed . Anyway i have had my rant, so onwards and upwards . Keep gaming.

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Aug 9, 12 8:44 PM
I am a huge fan of ERS.............I usually buy them without demo'ing based on my good experience with their games; HOWEVER!! because of the previous reviews in this thread, I will not be buying this game. ERS!! Are you paying attention??!!

[Post New]by td78230 on Aug 11, 12 4:11 PM
Breezeie66 wrote:I assume I finished the game today.
**POSSIBLE SPOILER**

There was the end cut scene and then my screen went blank and took me to the menu screen. I wasn't sure what had happened so I clicked PLAY and was told thank you for playing our game. Say What????

If this was the ending, then it is a sad state of affairs when you have no idea your game is over.

I agree great game until the end! If you do a cliffhanger you need to tell them at least that it was a clifffhanger with to be continued or something! So disappointed!

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Aug 11, 12 8:33 PM
I always like ERS games...& I did like this one as well BUT the ending was kinda quick & fast. I wish i did buy the CE just to see what the bonus chapter had to say. Oh well, graphics were good as always! This is ok. I guess.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Aug 11, 12 9:38 PM
just finished the game and I too thought something was wrong with the game. One minute you are in the game and the next it is telling you thanks for playing..Sorry ending..

[Post New]by eldray on Aug 15, 12 6:43 AM
I agree with these other posts. I couldn't believe I had finished the game. The game ended without expectation & with a lot of questions unanswered. I know BF can do better than that.

Chexmixmonet
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,816 Posts

[Post New]by Chexmixmonet on Aug 23, 12 6:58 PM
Sucky ending

AddieT
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by AddieT on Aug 28, 12 7:57 PM
That was the ending? I'm disappointed.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Aug 29, 12 8:43 AM
I thought the game was a bit short...and the ending?????

queencate
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by queencate on Sep 11, 12 3:47 PM
well, well, keep me hanging on, by the time the new one comes out im going to need a refresher , but i always like the unexspected ...muhaaaaa

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Sep 16, 12 12:24 PM
Same as all the others, a great game completely spoiled by a dreadful and abrupt ending.

I left a review on another ERS game I've just finished playing so I can repeat here what I said before:-
The ending was truly lousy. Maybe it was better in the CE but these abrupt endings from some devs in their SE version of the games are beginning to make me get rather angry. It will certainly NOT make me buy the CE versions. It's more likely to make me not buy at all.
ERS - my EX-fav dev - you have just lost one of your customers.

[Post New]by onesweettart on Sep 19, 12 11:09 AM
I'm apparently in the minority because my problem isn't with the lack of an ending in the SE, it's that the demo just wasn't fun for me. So much so, that I'm not buying the game and therefore can't be frustrated with the ending (which it sounds like I definitely would have been!). Everything was so easy. I stopped enjoying "find 12 hammers" hidden object scenes 3 years ago, I do NOT like the new ERS hidden object scenes where I find one silhouette and use that object to obtain the next silhouette, and up until this morning have been avoiding the new ERS games because of it (today I was really in the mood to buy a game, so I thought I'd give this one a try despite the likelihood of their new style). I absolutely did not like the concept of collecting coins to buy what I need, for several reasons. 1) I had to keep returning to the same place to do the same thing (click object I want, click money, click hand). Not fun; 2) what's the challenge in buying needed objects? As soon as I see what objects are for sale I know what I'll need soon, and as soon as I see that I need a way to collect liquid...oh, ok, there was a jar for sale at Giovanni's. Time to trudge back over and go shopping, because that's fun in absolutely no way; 3) it's too easy to find the coins, because every close-up where they appear remains zoomed-in until you pick up the coin. So I don't have to be good at the game to collect them, I just have to not be an idiot. And to have to play the same pinball game three times? Again, not fun.

I love hidden object games, and I used to love ERS games, but this was just trudge-trudge-trudge, click-click-click, no thought required, no effort required, too much hand-holding, too much repetition, and the types of hidden object scenes (both kinds that I got in the demo) that are not fun. It's been awhile since they got my money and at this rate it'll be a long time before they do again.

boobailey
Guppy
Guppy
187 Posts

[Post New]by boobailey on Oct 6, 12 5:34 AM
This was a great! The color and graphic's were great!!I really liked the puzzles and the HOS. Some of the HOS were a little different, which was a nice change.The ending was quick and just OK.

[Post New]by marsilego on Oct 14, 12 7:16 AM
I did not understand the story. It was disappointing that the game ended so abruptly in this version.

Robsim
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Robsim on Dec 18, 12 10:35 AM
Pleiadestar wrote:As all the others here I loved the game until the final cut-scene - the maid did what?? and why?? and then blank! At least a little explanation is in order here - a voice-over - something....

I thought the game had frozen me out - but then I came here and found that it was just a really LOUSY ending to a pretty good game.

Although I can appreciate the unhappy reaction to the way the game ended, why didn't you put a *Spoiler* alert at the top of your comment? For those of us who have NOT played the game, and have come into this area to read the reviews and to decide between which version (SE or CE) they want to purchase, won't matter now as you - and the commenter after you - have made the decision for us by spoiling the end!!! Thanks much!!!

Edited on 12/18/2012 at 10:38:37 AM PST

leilanibz
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by leilanibz on Mar 10, 13 7:21 PM
Thank you for printing the ending, I was wondering if I had missed something. What a terrible ending, abrupt. I will not buy anymore games from this series if that's how it will end for the SE. I bought the game on a special (buy this collector's edition get these SE's for 2.99), what a waste of my 3 bucks.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on May 19, 13 3:39 PM
This game have some impressive graphics, great mystery within a family, very nice cutscenes, but like some other people have posted it doesn't have a good outcome, perhaps because a sequel is next?

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Jun 24, 13 4:31 AM
Hazy Days Under Italian Skies

BASED ON COMPLETED CE GAME

This game takes us to the Italian countryside and the estate of the wealthy CONTI family. It seems the maid has found a KILLER’S DIARY, and that 3 women have already been killed. The STORY continues as we work our way through each of the 3 Conti brothers’ personal rooms in search of a MURDERER. But a lot is left unsaid, all is not what it seems, and the only EVIDENCE we find are CORPSES.

Much is implied in this story, and it’s a good idea to check the NOTEBOOK regularly, or the tale just kind of runs off without you. But it is a GOOD STORY and well worth the bother.

This game offers a GOOD BALANCE of HOS & PUZZLES, leaning more towards the puzzle side, but it is also VERY MUCH an ADVENTURE game. There are many things that must be found, fixed and unlocked by good old fashioned point-and-click.

The HOS come in 3 types, MULTIPLES, PROGRESSIVE SILHOUETTES & INTERACTIVE LISTS. Each scene is visited twice. Within each HOS are 2 COLLECTIBLE FANS, these give you EXTRA HINTS. If you miss them the first time, they will still be there for the second visit.

Also COLLECTIBLE are GOLD COINS, but you need these for items you must buy in GIOVANNI’S SHOP. If you’ve played the other Grim Facade games, you’ll recognise the family resemblance. I like that the store is more than a simple buying of a couple of items this time. Giovanni has a jukebox and a pinball machine which we’ll make good use of.

As you’d expect, the GRAPHICS look GREAT, and can’t be faulted (unless you’re into photo realism I guess). The HOS are CLEAR and the OBJECTS cleverly but fairly hidden.

The ATMOSPHERE of this game is SUPER. The AMBIENT SOUNDS plus the sunlit LOCATIONS give an excellent impression of lazy hot afternoons under an azure Italian sky. Some of the MUSIC is great, some less so. All of it becomes repetitious eventually.

The ending is final enough, although you may be a bit confused by it. Motivation is not at all clear. This is partially answered by the CE BONUS CHAPTER, but not completely. So I don’t think that this is any less of a game, and I think it’s BETTER VALUE FOR MONEY.

I recommend this game!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Aug 3, 13 11:39 PM
I haven't gotten to the end yet, so I'll take everyone's word for their frustration at the abrupt ending. But I have to say the middle is frustrating the h*** out of me.

The hint system is the dreaded "nothing to do here." There's no map, and the journal has been no help.

Does anyone know what a "hair seal" is? Because that's a clue in one of the HOS. All I could think of was hair spray. Nope, it wasn't hair spray. Or a barrette or pin or anything else having to do with hair.

One of the puzzles keeps telling me it can't be solved without the missing piece, but I've already put the missing piece in, and I know where the solution is, but it's incomplete. Where the rest of the solution is, I've no idea. I don't know if I've missed picking it up or if it's still to be found. I'll have to refer to the walkthrough.

by marsilego on Oct 14, 12 7:16 AM

I did not understand the story. It was disappointing that the game ended so abruptly in this version.

It's as if ERS deliberately set out to be obtuse.

Edited on 08/05/2013 at 10:45:56 PM PST

HasNazir
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,264 Posts

[Post New]by HasNazir on Apr 21, 14 3:44 AM
I have brought this game, but after playing it for a while decided to dump it after the freezer section, couldn't be bothered to complete it as its so boring. You spend so much time doing trivial things, ie opening locked places etc, even though other games have that too, but the way that gameplay is done is that it doesn't give you a sense of doing boring thing-it just dragged, ie with the fire hydrant etc. There was no excitement, couldn't care less who the killer was or what happened.

Go to: