barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

Re:Reviews for Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector`s Edition

[Post New]by barbee44 on Aug 16, 12 10:39 AM
cbtx wrote:From a dev I am unfamiliar with comes this tale of a foul and evil witch who is robbing others of their beauty and (presumably) their youth when everyone knows that job belongs to Father Time. Anyway, as the player who has been turned into an old woman, your job is to track down the old bag and put a stop to this nonsense.

As a SE, this would be an ok game----but as a CE it falls way short. As already pointed out there is:
-no widescreen, making the game look dated and of lower quality. Not even a non-working option such as ERS provides. (Of course, I'm sure someone will tell how it fills "their" screen)
-no voiceovers, unheard of in CEs today. (I wonder if there are voices for anyone else?)
-no journal, rarely seen in the better games.
-no map, see above
-no release of any bonus items until the game is completed (as it states in the game), which I've never understood. Some would like to use the screensavers and wallpapers while playing the game and if it is bought, then they should. Of course, the idea that concept art is interesting enough to expect extra money for is ludicrous, and the belief that the music to a game is so beautiful that anyone would want to keep it among their musical treasures is the peak of arrogance. Just my opinion.

But, as I said before, it would be ok for a SE:
-the graphics are very clear.
-the puzzles are easy and a little different.
-the hint button is quite helpful.

So, overall, not worth CE money by any measure, but I'll probably pick it up when the SE is released.

Always a good review, thank you and I agree.

I tried the game and while the story is unique the play is same old same old. Just wish the devs would put on their creative caps and come up with some new material. New approaches to the HOS other than a list of words. And how about a door that doesn't need a key? Sometimes when I'm in a game I have 10 or more objects I have to find to accomplish things and by the time I get them, I've forgotten what I needed them for.

Agree, maybe an SE but definitely not a CE.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Aug 16, 12 12:21 PM
I am fairly new to posting reviews but I am a huge fan of the HO games and own almost every collectors edition released.

For me this game was just about everything I look for, although as has been stated by others - voice overs would just add to the game. All in all, I don't really mind that the voice overs are missing because the game offers almost everything I like.

I have really enjoyed the other games by these developers and as with their previous games, the graphics are excellent. I love the richness of color these developers incorporate into their games.

After twenty minutes of the demo, I knew this would be a purchase. The story is interesting and the puzzles are not so difficult that I get frustrated. I don't rush through a game so this game will provide a good day of entetainment.

Thanks BFG for bringing us such great games.

Itsupikachu
Flounder
Flounder
2,158 Posts

[Post New]by Itsupikachu on Aug 16, 12 1:13 PM
NancySusan wrote:1) I hate witch themes in these games. There are far too many of them, there were never any real witches in the real world, certainly none with real powers, so devs. use your imagination and do games about something else. Please. 2) I decided to check out this game because the reviews had some nice things to say; enough people (Valdy, etc.) provided such good detail about the game, I won't repeat. I played the demo on advanced (middle difficulty) and consulted the SG only once. The hint is pretty good out of the HOS, of which there are a good number, but the hint, which refilled in about 30 secs. on advanced, isn't perfect, which is why I consulted the SG (lost a button somewhere and the hint kept telling me to go elsewhere to look). With no voiceovers, no map, no diary, it makes no sense that this is a CE, and while I'm often really critical of voiceovers, having none at all just doesn't justify a CE price. I also suspect that given the witch theme, I would be less likely to care what's in the bonus game. And yes, the endlessly repetitive double-hoot (every ten seconds, by the way) was annoying. I wouldn't buy this as a CE, but may check it out as an SE when it comes out. And, again, devs. find some other theme. I've started deliberately boycotting witch games. gah.

I absolutely agree with you, NancySusan-WAY TOO MANY WITCH-THEMED GAMES . Please, give us some other subjects besides witches and other occult themes.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Aug 16, 12 1:37 PM
Finished full game.

Clean crisp graphics
Widescreen on both my laptop and desktop
Well done but familiar story line
H0s are interactive and clear
Puzzles fault on the easy side
No "sparkles" in challenge mode (a definite plus)
Sound effects at start were overly repetitive but the occurrence didn't happen again or if it did I didn't notice,
Music is appropriate to the scenes though one piece implying excitement was overplayed.
No voice overs but I find these unnecessary to game play and didn't miss them.
Extras available upon purchase as opposed to finish.
No map. Bring an extra pair of tennis shoes due to lots of back and forth.
Have not used clue button so I have no info concerning it
Good length.
Bonus chapter was of fair length and a nice addition.

I beta'd this and enjoyed it.
Even in the challenge mode this game is very straight forward and simple but entertaining. Enough of a story to hold my interest. Although all the puzzles are easy some are quite imaginative and refreshing. Fun enough for a rainy afternoon.
It's a buy for me.

Try before you buy.
Happy Gaming!

ETA
Top Evidence Studio did the "Haunted Manor" series.
Added info after completing game

Edited on 08/19/2012 at 4:19:07 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 16, 12 2:42 PM
Just finished the trial and liked the game a lot. The graphics are good and puzzles are not hard to do. Liked that it had a good hint system that reloaded fast. The time went by so fast so wondering if the trial was 60 min. If that's the case I must have really enjoyed playing the game. Will give it a 4 out of 5 stars.

amuzed
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by amuzed on Aug 16, 12 3:42 PM
I tried to play the sample of this game and I just couldn't do it...the music was ok I guess but the sound effects were driving me nuts. A owl hooted every 10 seconds, I mean seriously! It ruined the gameplay completely! I tried to play for a bit with the sound off but it just didn't pull me into the game without any sound at all. Really disappointed because this game did seem interesting....
(repost from another thread)

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Aug 16, 12 4:19 PM
This game has interesting game play and sort of a different story but the sound effects are the most irritating that I can remember in a game. The hooting owl is maddening. Then there are creaking hanging lanterns and many other annoying and grating sounds. I don’t think I would play this game is it was free.

I know I can turn the sound off but ambiance is part of the enjoyment of playing a good game. I already turned off the music so that leaves me playing in silence. I guess it’s a good thing that there are no voiceovers as I would not be able to hear them.

Too bad, I was beginning to become interested in the game play but the longer I played the grouchier I got from the annoying, grating, repetitive sound effects. In the game’s defense, I guess it doesn’t take too much to get me grouchy.

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Aug 16, 12 5:41 PM
The music is a big part of my enjoyment of a game, especially a darker game, and the music for this one is terrible. Not buying.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 17, 12 4:21 AM
I have now finished the game, and very much enjoyed it.
Big thanks to Gmac, who persuaded me to go and get the CE instead of waiting for the SE.

I really liked the main game a lot, and it does have a propper ending, although they shouldn't have added that last sentence, which suggests otherwise.

And yes, the story does continue - and what a nice surprise the bonus game contained - but you don't have to play the bonus game in order to enjoy the main game only.

I very much enjoyed the bonus game, which took me an hour to play, and have no regrets getting the CE.

PS: Developers, please add a map next time. My feet are killing me.

What I forgot to mention was that there were 2 varieties of the Spot the Difference games. I love STDs, and these ones were just really well done. Hope to see more of the same.

Edited on 08/18/2012 at 11:31:18 AM PST

ruadhan
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by ruadhan on Aug 17, 12 7:51 AM
After the complaints I've given about glitched games, I have to review this because I have no complaints at all.

No problems playing, about half-way through (I estimate) so far and enjoying every minute. Three modes of play so you can choose how easy or how difficult you want it. Puzzles are easy enough for my level (that means they might be too easy for some, because I am useless at puzzles), plenty of hints and a strategy guide that tells you what you need to do when you need it.

Absolutely gorgeous visuals - really detailed, artistic, high-quality art that is a pleasure to look at; in fact, at times I just pause and take in all the details before continuing on with the game. For the beautiful artwork alone, I'd give it four stars :-)

The plot is not unique (yes, it's another long-abandoned building where you have to foil the evil character's wicked plans) but it has enough of a twist on the theme to keep it interesting.

I can recommend this without any quibbles. Try it, buy it, enjoy it!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 17, 12 7:53 AM
Wow! Another great game! The circle puzzle was a bit frustrating cos u dont know which dots need to be joined first. Sure u can check the built in strategy guide, but whats the fun right?

I only used the guide when I really really stuck, like after using Hint it just kept saying "I better check another location". Ok a bit frustrating, coz I was missing 1 button. But the rest of the game was quite smooth and puzzles were unique with codes, setting the clock etc. Most were simple HOGs with surprises built in, like a drawer that u had to open to find that object.

Huge FUN!

Rating: 4.5/5

* Strategy guide that is built in deserves another 0.5 pts

ruadhan
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by ruadhan on Aug 17, 12 8:14 AM
Is the lack of a voiceover really such a deal-breaker? I generally prefer games without them, since the text of what they are saying is usually onscreen and I've read it all and am left impatiently waiting until the 'acting' is finished before the game will let me advance (there is a reason for the "skip dialogue" button!)

Also, the voice-acting tends to be either poorly-done accents (both foreign game developers making a bad stab at a generic American accent and American developers doing stereotypical European accents) or overly-dramatic to try and crank up the suspense, even where it doesn't matter: "Oh, no! *gasp* My car *eek!* has got... a flat tyre!!! (NOOOOOO!!!!!)" which leaves me rolling my eyes and turning off the sound in the options menu so as not to be distracted.

Honestly, I prefer games without the voice overs - and what is this recent trend for announcing the title of the game when it loads? I can see it's called "Revenge of the Mystic Time Dinosaur: Find The McGuffin" because it's written in big glowing letters onscreen, I know what's it called, I bought it after all! Maybe this is for people who thought they were buying "Dream Builders Honeymoon Café" and don't realise they bought "Mirror Vengeance of the Haunted Psychiatrist" instead until the voice tells them?

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Aug 17, 12 9:01 AM
I really enjoyed the demo. There were only 2 chapters shown in the SG but it was pretty easy to use. The graphics are nice and the puzzles were just right...not so frustrating that I just skipped them. I am pretty picky on CE versions of games so when this comes out I will buy the SE....I don't use art, music or sketches and the bonus games are for the most part disappointing and short...an afterthought. All in all an enjoyable game.

JanG7
Guppy
Guppy
110 Posts

[Post New]by JanG7 on Aug 17, 12 11:09 AM
Valdy wrote:I have now finished the game, and very much enjoyed it.
Big thanks to Gmac, who persuaded me to go and get the game.

I really liked the main game a lot, and it does have a propper ending, although they shouldn't have added that last sentence, which suggests otherwise.

And yes, the story does continue - and what a nice surprise the bonus game contained - but you don't have to play the bonus game in order to enjoy the main game only.

I very much enjoyed the bonus game, which took me an hour to play, and have no regrets getting the CE.

PS: Developers, please add a map next time. My feet are killing me.

OK, you convinced me! I was enjoying the game, but I needed to see a review from someone that finished the game, and also gives great reviews.

Thanks Valdy!

Off to buy now.

littlemom4
Squid
Squid
62 Posts

[Post New]by littlemom4 on Aug 17, 12 12:29 PM
Hi all! I finished the game by getting all the crystals and getting help by turning her into stone??. But where do I get the bonus chapter? I don't see the option anywhere? When I press Play, the game starts all over again. I see the wallpapers, but I don't see the Bonus chapter. Great game!!

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Aug 17, 12 2:59 PM
OK game, but some major drawbacks:

1) No map, so you have to hike back and forth and it's not always clear where you need to go.

2) The hint button is weird: at the beginning of the game it just told me there was nothing to do in a scene, then after a while it switched to an arrow to tell me where to go. The arrow isn't always right though, it sends you places when you don't have all you need when you get there.

3) It's a CE but here's NO EXTRA GAMEPLAY? WTF?

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Aug 17, 12 3:03 PM
I see from some posts that there is a bonus game. Where? I don't have it.

Kamali
Guppy
Guppy
173 Posts

[Post New]by Kamali on Aug 18, 12 2:13 AM
ruadhan wrote:Is the lack of a voiceover really such a deal-breaker? I generally prefer games without them < snip > Honestly, I prefer games without the voice overs

Me too. I am perfectly happy with just the sound effects. First thing I do as soon as the game loads is turn off the music, the second thing I do is turn off the voices if there is a control for it. Third thing I do is turn off the 'environment' volume if there is a control for that. How I wish there had been one of those with this game to get rid of the hooting owl!!!

Valdy wrote:I have now finished the game, and very much enjoyed it.

You just sold the CE to me!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Aug 18, 12 9:11 AM
well this game is a very good game, it gives you different abilites to solve your quest. it is a buy for us.-------------doug & lisa

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 18, 12 3:07 PM
Well, not a bad game, but not great either. I am really put off by devs who don't let you know how many chapters are in a game. That is a deal breaker for me, so until I find out how long the game is, I won't purchase. Other than that...

Nice graphics and game play. Desperately needs voice-overs to give it a lift. Wording needs to stay up until you click to get rid of it (if you get distracted, you won't see what it says because it disappears after a short time). Also needs a diary and a "jumping" map. Too much running back and forth for long distances.

HOGs not bad, not difficult but do need to "look" for things. Games not difficult, but need to think about a few to solve.

SG nice, but needs to follow through (with no map, it would be nice to know how many times you need to go back to get where you need to go...not just go to the Gazebo), hint system nice.

As I said, don't know if I want to purchase this as a CE or wait for the SE. I need to see the length first, so will put it in my pond and wait a bit. Thanks for the reviews.

Edited to include that I also agree about the owl. It is everywhere, but you never actually see the silly thing. Very annoying!

Edited on 08/18/2012 at 3:10:02 PM PST

Go to: